"Our Struggle": What If Hitler Had Been a Communist?

So heres one question: Why arent the French just jumping in right now?
Jumping into what? Germany isn't at war with anyone. If they attack they'll be on their own, with a regime that's still shaky in the drivers seat and probably worries a lot more than warranted, about how many Frenchmen are secretly Germanphile Commies and need to be re-educated before France can risk a war against Germany without being stabbed in the back. The Soviets would support Germany and Britain probably couldn't support France beyond selling weapons without risking a General Strike.
Now if the Red Fuhrer were to invade Poland tomorrow, then France would undoubtedly "jump in" and with a lot more gravity than in OTL 1939, but going it alone would a very high stakes gamble.

To add to this, although the People's Guard are scared of them the French are a bit of a paper tiger at this juncture. It's sometimes sensible to overestimate your enemy and think in terms of worst case scenarios but the reality was that years of neglect had left the French armaments industry lagging behind whilst the military's handle on economics at the senior level was so antiquated as to be effectively non-existent. One of the reasons Petain launched the coup was to try and resolve this, based partially on de Gaulle's OTL proposals. If he had the IOTL French army of 1940 or even 1938 there'd be much more temptation to hang up his washing on the Siegfried Line, alone or otherwise.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
My god, Germany really is just crashing from conflict to conflict. From coup to civil war to Austrian intervention to war with France...
This whole era's gonna be wild to write about, Communist historiography will no doubt phrase it all as der Volksfuhrer's 20 year plan but more neutral accounts might see it as a sort of Thirty Years War type free for all

The July Years?

Hitler has the protagonist aura to protect him here, but what if he was the one killed instead? Maybe the SPD might get stronger, ensuring Germany got less "radical" and shooing away WW2. Or is it a tad too late?

It's an interesting 'PoD within a PoD' to contemplate, it could end with Zeigner using Hitler as a martyr to finally merge the KPD and SPD as he'd planned then attempt a more peaceful progressive agenda into the sunlit uplands. Or in the DAR it could be portrayed as exactly what the International Financier Plot had planned with the fascist powers invading immediately upon confirmation of Hitler's death.

This, right here. This is the kind of thing, that makes Alternate History such an amazing experience.

And the fact that it totally makes sense in context, means that this is a Very Good timeline.

Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Now I'll quote this again, from the previous chapter:

In order to assume "emergency powers", Red!Hitler doesn't need a burnt Reichstag... just someone shooting at the President.

"...And that makes him the perfect sacrificial lamb."

This is pure conjecture however, I expected better of you genosse. Why, if anyone else had said such things one might almost get suspicious as to the intent.

First Levi and now Zeigner.

The international bourgeoisie plot against the german workers is now evident to all! Obviously in such dangerous and exceptional times exceptional measures have to be taken to protect the german worker. Confusion and indecision would only lead into the hands of the bourgeoisie conspirators, therefore for the duration of the crisis chancellor Hitler should be granted emergency powers to deal with the matter swiftly, and the election postponed until the danger is over.

This is the correct attitude. Thank you for setting Cmde @SilentSpaniard straight, genosse.

Going Abit off topic for a sec, it's going to be interesting to see how the African American Communitty is affected by the war when/if we jump in. OTL, the fight against ovbiuously racist and intolerant Facism was defintely a boost for AA rights campaigns, with the Double V campaign and all. Now with Communists who would at least mouth things about The Civil Rights situation in the South at least for propaganda purposes, as the enemy... Well it's not all lost, maybe Double V can still take off proving their loyalty against the Communists and the like...still sadly is going to put them on the back foot
Honestly, I think if the United States gets involved in this World War II, it will be to the benefit of African Americans. This War will be much harder fought, the Communist Bloc has a lot of advantages in this timeline and we already know it lasts at least a decade. The harder fought the war, the more the United States will need African Americans working on the Home Front and participating in the military, and a more exhausted United States will be less able to continue to enforce segregation against a black population that is more involved in industry and has a higher rate of combat experience. I think desegregation would happen a few years ahead of schedule and primarily peacefully.

The question though is whether the US gets involved at all. Presumably Japan won't attack Pearl Harbor/Manila if they're bogged down in Manchuria and fighting alongside the French/British. FDR might be content to sell tons of material to the Allies while focusing on his domestic agenda as Eurasia blows itself apart for a decade.

Interesting discussion here but I can't add much at the moment unfortunately.

What is likely to happen to India? Indian troops will be in Afgh and Iran fighting against Soviets + local communists and with Britain herself permanently under threat by Red Germany, some concessions must be made

Same here, sorry.

Chapter CXX
Marx speaks of awareness, not of ideals. It is exactly the blindness of man's conscious thought which prevents him from being aware of his true human needs, and of ideals which are rooted in them. Only if false consciousness is transformed into true consciousness, that is, only if we are aware of reality, rather than distorting it by rationalizations and fictions, can we also become aware of our real and true human needs.

~ Erich Fromm, Marx's Concept of Man

1606841635247.png

Plötzensee Prison, Berlin; Shortly after

Johann never thought he would return to this place willingly. The time he had spent in the prison had been a moment of torment in his life, held captive alongside so many comrades after the surprise attack on what had then been Bulowplatz at the start of the civil war. He had spent his time there cold and starving, one of thousands held in makeshift squalor to accommodate the sudden inflation in capacity which had come with the mass round-up of Red Front fighters in the city. It had only been a few days but it had been a time spent awaiting death and dwelling on the failure of the cause he had devoted his life to. He had spent the rest of his time throughout the civil war fighting to ensure he would never end up in such a place ever again. In his new Luftstreitkrafte uniform he stood now in opposition to all those fears but he came here for answers all the same.

He was not alone in being confused, or in being frightened. The assassination attempt on the Chancellor and the President had resulted in the pair being rushed to hospital with the entire capital being put on a heightened state of alert by the People’s Guard forces throughout the city. Many areas had been cordoned off to the general public, leading to some ugly scenes between soldiers and workers who had bad memories of the last time a military force had taken over the city.

It was handy for Johann's purposes however, for he was able to use the authority his position gave him to navigate through the city with ease and to find out that a suspect had been apprehended. The alleged shooter was being held at Plötzensee and so he was headed there now to see if his old comrades in the People’s Guard security forces might shed some more light on the situation. Whilst others waited outside St Hedwig for some news of those who had been shot, Johann opted to keep himself busy with the shooter.

The scene around the imposing structure was also crowded though Johann felt it loomed over him most of all, the prison cast an ominous shadow amidst the setting sun. Had the day gone as it was supposed to, he had been planning to meet up with his friend Lars for a drink after the formal celebrations. They had first met when the Social Democratic militia Lars had been a part of had saved him from execution after Johann had been taken from this place. Lars wasn’t here however and Johann made his own way past more junior officers into the prison complex.

When he did finally spot a familiar face it was that of Eric Mielke, a former Red Front comrade who had been luckier in evading capture. He looked at home here all the same, now the shoe was on the other foot.

“Glad you could drop in, Comrade.” Mielke said, regarding Johann’s uniform. He didn’t seem too pleased to see him, as if embarrassed by the memory of his street fighting days.

“Has he been talking?” Johann asked in anguish.

“I doubt that’s a concern for the Luftstreitkrafte, there isn’t much chance of him escaping by glider.”

Mielke’s eyes narrowed but he seemed to relent.

“Still, it would be remiss of me not to do a favour for an old Comrade. I suppose you’ll want to see him.

From the main offices of the complex Mielke began down a long corridor and beckoned for Johann to follow. Their footsteps echoed in the deathly silent rows of cells, as if the inmates were aware of the gravity of the situation in the outside world. Mielke didn’t seem to care either way as he told Johann what he wanted to know.

“Dirlewangler, Oskar. Age: 38. Occupation: Professional vagrant, by all accounts. Convictions for assault, embezzlement, drug dealing, solicitation, theft, and far worse which I won’t go into. He was apprehended drunk whilst brandishing a pistol at onlookers in the Tiergarten shortly after the assassination attempt. We haven’t had the full analysis back as to whether the bullets match but the gun had recently been fired.”

Berlin was second to none in forensic research as any person with a passing interest in crime stories knew but a random drunk making such a move didn’t make any sense.

“Politics?”

“The worst possible; Freikorps in Poland, the Ruhr, Saxony, then the Volkisch Bund, then the Blackshirts. Apparently he had an especially messy civil war but nothing conclusive stuck so he got out in ‘31.”

“That has to be our man, surely? Are we aware of any connections he might have that could be behind this?”

We aren’t.” Mielke replied scoldingly before continuing.

“The reason I can tell you all this is that he seems unable to do anything without incriminating himself. Since the civil war he has been bouncing around from one drunk tank or prison to the next throughout the country, there have been reports of him causing disturbances at DVFP meetings when the free beer ran out but that’s about it. To be honest I’m surprised he’s managed to avoid being institutionalised so far. The way he was gibbering and grinning when brought in, it’s like he didn’t know what planet he was on.”

The couple paused in front the only cell with two guards posted in front of it, Mielke went to draw the viewing slot before inviting Johann to come and see.

“We brought him down to earth.”

There was a bloodied carcass lying on the floor and Johann wasn’t entirely sure if Dirlewangler was still alive until he heard a rasping hiss coincide with his humped back moving up and down. The walls of the cell were covered in red marks where he’d apparently been slammed into them, several other dark blotches stained the floor around him.

It looked as if Dirlewangler had had a grenade thrown into his cell.

“In fairness he wasn’t much to look at before the lads got a hold of him and he’s much more sober now than he was before.”

A head-like appendage emerged from the body within the cell and looked around itself before turning to the door. Johann caught a glimpse of two swollen eyelids staring back at him and closed the slot.

“So,” he coughed in an effort to compose himself, “he could have been acting alone?”

“I suspect he’ll be more willing to answer questions properly next time we talk to him but it’s possible. At any rate we need to stay vigilant, and if the boss survives…”

Mielke left Johann to draw his own conclusions before a rasping giggle began to emanate from the cell.

Rather than ponder the suspect any further, the two comrades walked back down the corridor.

---

The still is from Fritz Lang's M

The still is from Fritz Lang's M
The same movie that was about Mind Control? Hmm...

"All right, Dirlewangler. Here you go, a gun and some booze. Now you know what to do."
"I get to shoot some commies, right? Hell, you can even keep the booze. I'll do it for free!"

Of course, such an agent provocateur would surely be some kind of capitalist-fascist, italian-french bastard!

Comrades, do not allow capital to divide us!

"All right, Dirlewangler. Here you go, a gun and some booze. Now you know what to do."
"I get to shoot some commies, right? Hell, you can even keep the booze. I'll do it for free!"

Of course, such an agent provocateur would surely be some kind of capitalist-fascist, italian-french bastard!

It ain't that crazy. Soviet Russia ignored its own serial killers, because it didn't want to believe its "workers' paradise" had such "bourgeois contaminations."

It ain't that crazy. Soviet Russia ignored its own serial killers, because it didn't want to believe its "workers' paradise" had such "bourgeois contaminations."

In my experience most of the serial killers in the Soviet Union worked for the Soviet government. Beriya, Zhukov, and not to mention each and every penal battalion commander.

In my experience most of the serial killers in the Soviet Union worked for the Soviet government. Beriya, Zhukov, and not to mention each and every penal battalion commander.

What are you talking about? All those people were defenders of the proletariat against bourgeois subversion.

In all seriousness, aside from Beria, a lot of the criminals in the Soviet government WEREN'T psychopaths. In their own minds, they were doing their duty.

In all seriousness, aside from Beria, a lot of the criminals in the Soviet government WEREN'T psychopaths. In their own minds, they were doing their duty.
So what? If we're saying that, then so did Rudolf Hoess and all the other guys in the nazi death squads.

And if they weren't psychopaths, then they were still cold-blooded murderers willing to walk on the bones of millions to get what they wanted. Zhukov and Koniev alone had their own army groups actually fighting each other to prevent the other from getting to Berlin first!

Ugh. Dirlewanger. Haven’t thought of that sick vile creature in a long time. Good riddance.

This is likely the Reichstag Fire equivalent of this timeline. Zeigner, even if he lives, might be so scared and paranoid he allows Hitler to have emergency powers and this sidelines Zeigner and allows Hitler to become absolute dictator shortly after.

And Hitler becomes Volksführer by 1936 and war with Italy breaks out that year so only two years to go...

Dang. The Italo-German War might be a close run thing to be honest. If the People’s Guard is not ready just yet, equipment and supply wise, then fighting in the Alps might bleed through the People’s Guard unless they get a few lucky breaks or the Italians blunder really badly.

Zhukov and Koniev alone had their own army groups actually fighting each other to prevent the other from getting to Berlin first!
This factoid is of dubious veracity. The only incident of friendly fired that can be argued as deliberate was when Chuikov (not Zhukov) sent out a brigade in the way of the 3rd Guard Tanks Army, which resulted in the brigade's destruction, but this is far from the only instance of accidental friendly fire, and was more likely caused by the same communications problems that prevailed among the spotter planes and artillery positions.
The only other piece of evidence is an anonymous quote from a commander about how "Now we should be scared not of the enemy, but of our neighbour [sic]," but that's not really conclusive.

This factoid is of dubious veracity. The only incident of friendly fired that can be argued as deliberate was when Chuikov (not Zhukov) sent out a brigade in the way of the 3rd Guard Tanks Army, which resulted in the brigade's destruction, but this is far from the only instance of accidental friendly fire, and was more likely caused by the same communications problems that prevailed among the spotter planes and artillery positions.
The only other piece of evidence is an anonymous quote from a commander about how "Now we should be scared not of the enemy, but of our neighbour [sic]," but that's not really conclusive.
There's also the liberal use of penal battalions, which all Soviet army commanders had under their command. Zhukov alone had thirty four of them thrown into the fighting in Byelorussia to make a path for the 5th Guards tanks. Incidentally, nearly all of those guys were killed. Either by the Germans or by their own side. Zhukov was not a sane man, nor was Rokossovsky or Konyev, or any of the others. From what I can see, they were little more than cunning butchers.

Last edited:
There's also the liberal use of penal battalions, which all Soviet army commanders had under their command.
My original comment stands.
Zhukov alone had thirty four of them thrown into the fighting in Byelorussia to make a path for the 5th Guards tanks. Incidentally, nearly all of those guys were killed. Zhukov was not a sane man, nor was Rokossovsky or Konyev, or any of the others. From what I can see, they were little more than cunning butchers.
By that standard, every military commander is insane, since any military strategy accepts the inevitability of casualties, or the chance of catastrophy.

So I wanna double check something, is the map of Europe in 1936 canon? Because IIRC East Prussia is still currently under the control of the Republic. Meanwhile the map has it under the control of the German Reich and I just want to make sure that's not a mistake

So what? If we're saying that, then so did Rudolf Hoess and all the other guys in the nazi death squads.

And if they weren't psychopaths, then they were still cold-blooded murderers willing to walk on the bones of millions to get what they wanted. Zhukov and Koniev alone had their own army groups actually fighting each other to prevent the other from getting to Berlin first!

I am not at all defending their actions. My point is you can't dismiss them as inhuman creatures. They were very much human beings like you or I who went through the motions of what their society demanded.

Well... If their framing him, they at least have a ostensibly good taste in vicrims
Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy
No matter what TL, Oskar Dirlewanger remains a sick fuck only worthy of pain and death.
I kinda wish I hadn’t looked up Dirlewanger just before bed. He was the trope codifier for “depraved Nazi” that fictional depictions draw from.
Ugh. Dirlewanger. Haven’t thought of that sick vile creature in a long time. Good riddance.

Sorry for the license at play in using such a hideous individual but after someone mentioned him in regards to the TL he did seem to stand out as the type of person who could have ended up as a sort of Oswald-eqsue figure.

Very true, it is important to always remain vigilant!

be-vigilant.jpg

You might be thinking of something else, there were several serial killers convicted in the Soviet Union. Some of the most notorious included Vasili Komaroff, Alexander Labutkin and Philipp Tyurin.

So I wanna double check something, is the map of Europe in 1936 canon? Because IIRC East Prussia is still currently under the control of the Republic. Meanwhile the map has it under the control of the German Reich and I just want to make sure that's not a mistake

It is! The TL isn't quite at 1936 yet.

No, M was about a child killer.

Dr Mabuse was the one about mind control.

Although if memory serves the killer in M did allude to a voice or a strange compulsion directing him to carry out his crimes.