Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this is almost Star Trek-like with Drakia as the Khan and the Final War being the Eugenics Wars/Third World War with the mixture of a global Black Death and at the end the entire thing is so horrible that it will take mankind generations to recover but sure, there will be a liberal democratic federal United States of Earth approaching a post-capitalist post-scarcity economy at the end of this world's century.

Yes, there will be a final triumph over totalitarianism, but it almost cost humanity's existence.

United States of Earth
You know that won't work.

It is as clear as day, the Burmese-Nordic-Platinean Axis will carry the day in reviving the giants that were America, China, and India! (because Europe is hopelessly lost right now, everybody feared, and would be a rightful Nordic playground thereon.)

Yeah, this is almost Star Trek-like with Drakia as the Khan and the Final War being the Eugenics Wars/Third World War with the mixture of a global Black Death and at the end the entire thing is so horrible that it will take mankind generations to recover but sure, there will be a liberal democratic federal United States of Earth approaching a post-capitalist post-scarcity economy at the end of this world's century.
Well almost. Expect that this UE will be more paranoid about appeasement of totalitarian aggressors than Israel and Poland put together. They'll be preparing for a war against the Klingons as soon as they meet them and then strike pre-emptively. Same for the Romulans and Cardassians. In a way a much better Federation than "OTL", but sooner or later that'll make non-evil Aliens nervous about "mission creep".

Why so pessimistic? Maybe it will just ("just") be Late Pleistocene.
Probably because that one didn't quite reach mass extinction status. I'm guessing that this is either at the Grande Coupure status (so like a medium extinction event) or all the way up to the Triassic-Jurassic mass extinction event. It might be able to get way worse than that, but I'm assuming that the smaller projectiles lessened the damage somewhat.

I think "extinction" is a stretch. Less than half of the world's population is dead, humanity is still very much master of the earth (just not of himself, clearly).

Yeah, who cares about the numerous fauna and flora that will be affected by this catastrophe?:rolleyes:
-places sarcasm bucket-
Well, since they are clearly inferior species, they are not deserving of human concern. The superiority of the human means it is the only one that matters.

-removes bucket-

yah this excintion I bet will be somehwere in the top of the worst excintion evers the onyl saving grace is that co2 emminions are otl high but esspicaly once congo lake daister happen it could be on par with permian exicntion(scientist are already predicting the otl mass excintion happening right now is on course for that)

Further along than OTL, and even more so in the Free World. As for cooperation the world population has been reduced dramatically and all the survivors of the AfD after the Dragon's fall will have been through the same harrowing experience and nothing builds trust more than fighting together in the trenches
In that case, mitigation of the ecological catastrophe can (and should) be tried.
Well, it would be interesting whether it is more like the Cretaceous-Paleogene Extinction Event or the Permian-Triassic Extinction Event in terms of scale.

Why so pessimistic? Maybe it will just ("just") be Late Pleistocene.
I'm hoping for the latter, but fearing one of the formers.

Echoing some things that others have said here I hope that the Drakians collapse soon, and that what remains of the AfD and Free China work together to deal with the massive ecological disasters and coming anthropocene extinction event so they don't completely destroy humanity.

I'm really hoping that they end up uniting the world in a kind of global humanist fascism mixed with Situationism leading to some sort of United Earth government that becomes a semi-utopic Federation style organization as humanity travels to the stars. Having the Final War end in Drakia winning yet then collapsing and its enemies rising and creating their own utopic world and spreading it throughout the cosmos would be an especially fitting repudiation of everything Drakia stands for. Even in victory their ideology and vision of the future fails as the one of those they beat ultimately succeeds. Plus it would something of a nice parallel with the original Draka series where the last bit we see of both is a massive interstellar civilization, Seperateverse's Federation to contrast with Draka's Terran Empire.

Echoing some things that others have said here I hope that the Drakians collapse soon, and that what remains of the AfD and Free China work together to deal with the massive ecological disasters and coming anthropocene extinction event so they don't completely destroy humanity.

I'm really hoping that they end up uniting the world in a kind of global humanist fascism mixed with Situationism leading to some sort of United Earth government that becomes a semi-utopic Federation style organization as humanity travels to the stars. Having the Final War end in Drakia winning yet then collapsing and its enemies rising and creating their own utopic world and spreading it throughout the cosmos would be an especially fitting repudiation of everything Drakia stands for. Even in victory their ideology and vision of the future fails as the one of those they beat ultimately succeeds. Plus it would something of a nice parallel with the original Draka series where the last bit we see of both is a massive interstellar civilization, Seperateverse's Federation to contrast with Draka's Terran Empire.
That would make for a really intense space opera!

Last edited:
I swear I saw a Gears of War reference. Also Klien you bastard...

Seeing as I'm only vaguely aware of what Gears of War is, I'm curious what reference you spotted.

So, what became of the members of President Karlik's cabinet who were evacuated along with Klein? Currently lying in mass graves after being "shot while trying to escape" when Klein became Caesar of America? Or are they leading the two rival governments?

A surprising number either supported Klein or stepped aside when he made his play, accepting the argument that America needed to focus on restoring order and keeping as much of its population alive as possible more than it needed to keep fighting the war, but no wanting to be the face of the government that would actually surrender to Drakia. Some did flee to one of the other rival governments though.

I know that Klein is unlikely to have his Empire win, but in the event it does, what would Klein's Empire look like in terms of its ideology?

Klein believes in Klein. He doesn't believe in democracy, but he doesn't believe in Rex or Societism either.

Oh, Klein, you bastard.
(Wait, the general in charge of the invasion is his grandson).

You are the first person to figure that out. :biggrin:

Quick thought: will most of the surviving Free states allow polygamy (those who don't already) to accelerate demographic recovery? I assume that, even if Stone Dogs are gender blind, the overall losses must be fairly skewed toward males.

I don't think so, although more progressive places might recognize group marriage. In any case no government in the Free World is going to stop you from shaking up with multiple consenting adults, even if it doesn't consider you married.

um excuse me what the fuck

:p

How societist are Klein and his new “empire”? Is he a believer or just paying enough lipservice to get the Drakia to ease up?

"All living Americans are eugenically Superior, they proved that by surviving the Stone Dogs and the war!"

Why did China wait until after the Stone Dogs Pandemic decimated it's population to strike back? With the long incubation period, there should have been a window of about 1-2 months from where they knew they were under a bioweapon attack to when the mass deaths actually began.

China's military focus was defensive and it used its nuclear arsenal defensively- first to destroy Russia and Japan's ability to threaten it, and then to destroy Drakia's. It was a mistake born of caution, a limited number of bombs, a flawed doctrine, and eventually confusion once people started to die and it wasn't clear who had the authority to authorize a nuclear strike who was still alive.

Heh, always up to the old traditions huh? Guess being a "martial race" isn't too bad. Did this princely state at least get the Sudetenland back?

Not yet, and not officially, but that may change once Drakia formally decides where the borders should go.

Though, in the Book of the Fallen update this was listed as the Fourth Defenestration of Prague. What was the Third Defenestration in TTL?

Uh.... it was a more minor incident during Czech independence that didn't make it into the narrative, and definitely not me making a mistake with the number of defenestrations.:oops:
Though, hopefully the lower population in what OTL is the third world, and the earlier date, means that not as much deforestation has been happening. One can hope right?

One certainly can.:)

Anyways, what areas did Russia and Japan gain in the treaties ending the "Final War"? Guessing Poland and Lithuania (or more accurately, what was left of both countries) were annexed into Antonovich's Empire while Russia and Japan partitioned East Asia like a pie.

The next chapter will have a map with it!

I had a feeling that we'd end up in a Stars and Stripes Forever scenario when you pulled out the die this time around.
What do the other factions look like?

Next chapter!

Klein's descendants certainly seem to carry the same luck that he has. I wonder if Klein realized that Knight was his grandson. I'm also kind of wondering now if Klein made any attempt to contact Fortuna Stoker after he came back to America.

Oh, he absolutely knew that Knight was his grandson. Klein has never really reached out to his daughter, who was in no position to risk acknowledging him as her father in any way- even if she had wanted to.

What Centroamericans? While the Stone Dogs never hit the 90% "best" case mortality they have to be pretty close. Combine that with damage from AfD attacks in the early stage I suspect north of 90% of the population have died.

85% of Centroamericans died to the Stone Dogs, another 5% died from other causes, and an additional 5% fled as refugees. There are still about half a million of them living within the borders of their country.

What are they fighting with, if they can't contest or deny the orbitals?

Figure of speech. They haven't made peace and are still doing what they can to support whoever is still fighting on Earth via communications, etc. They broadcast a couple of numbers stations with coded messages to help enable co-ordination between military remnants and resistance groups, and things like that.

What was the average human lifespan at the beginning of the Final War? Depending on how successful life extension has been in the Seperateverse, Klein may have a longer time on this Earth than we think.

For an average human? Not too different from OTL. For a wealthy American with access to state of the art healthcare? Mid-90s. He's already beaten the odds.

Guys, don't forget Kleins last act was a positive modifier for the US role. That means in all likelihood he's planning on backstabbing the Draka asap and did this so there would be a US left to fight.
The rolls were for the deaths from Stone Dogs. Klein's last act secured vaccines which will reduce future American deaths. Whether he backstabs or not, the modifier has been applied.

What @Daylight Savings said. The rolls were for deaths from Stone Dogs only and Klein's Last Act secured vaccines that will save lives going forwards.

I too am curious about the state of Russia. How badly were they hit, compared to Drakia? Are they going to have another slugging match with China after those 14 months?

Not nearly as badly as Drakia was hit, because they weren't considered nearly as big as a threat. While Russia was still targeted (they got hit hard by China) they're in a much better position relatively than the Empire.

Always nice to see some defenestration!! And a most welcome back to here!

Thank you, and I agree with you about defenestrations.:)

I just want to say as a general compliment that Klein really has been cementing his place among most memorable fictional AH characters for me pretty much from his first appearance in the story. EBR has created a very interesting character there and you just know that something interesting will happen whenever he pops up in the narrative. Klein being succesful in his military adventure against Drakia is also probably one of my favourite WIs inside AH stories I like to ponder. (The American Thalassocracy FTW!)

Thank you @General Tirpitz :) I'm a firm believer that the existence of weird and wild people in a TL makes it more realistic- OTL is full of such characters after all- plus they're fun to write.

We haven’t received any information on India but couldn’t the warlords form a crude coalition of sorts given them at the Draka just tried to invade them? Or we could get de facto Balkanized India depending on how strong Ceylonese, Muslim and Dravidian movements are.

India is essentially a failed state whose nominal national government controls nothing outside of the emergency capital at Shimla. The warlords, rebels, and legacy factions could (and probably would have) attempted some kind of coalition against Drakian invaders (the French did), but it's a moot point since China deleted Drakia's ability to project any kind of power into the Indian subcontinent.

85% of Centroamericans died to the Stone Dogs, another 5% died from other causes, and an additional 5% fled as refugees. There are still about half a million of them living within the borders of their country.
It is with a cruel sense of irony that the descendants of a people that had a 90% death toll due to disease 500 years earlier during the colonization of the Americas, faced a similar 90% death toll from Stone Dogs now.

Figure of speech. They haven't made peace and are still doing what they can to support whoever is still fighting on Earth via communications, etc. They broadcast a couple of numbers stations with coded messages to help enable co-ordination between military remnants and resistance groups, and things like that.
Ah.

I thought they could have tried operating the two space fighters mentioned in Chapter 39 out of tugs to harry Drakia's few remaining space bombers in the broken back phase. Was that just not feasible, or are they focusing on holding out and bootstrapping up?

Status
Not open for further replies.