Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beginning of a graphics/map setting

Map had not been working properly

annihilation_us_metros_2220_by_spazzreflex_ddy7ugb-fullview.jpg

Great map! One thing I want to note is that the rise of the Buyids are linked to the demise of Mardavij, as by 935 the brothers had just been defeated by him and forced to become their overlord (again), as such I don't think they would be able to takeover the Caliph's domain in Iraq ITTL.

Thanks! And I must admit, I got a bit fed up with multitude of different waging dynasts plaguing the 10th century. What dynasty would you suggest as a plausible alternative instead?

What's the status of the creamy coloured states?
These states are not in full compliance with the Treaty of Dodoma in some way shape or form, and while no one has made too much fuss about it as all the states are still progressing (though this progression towards compliance is ongoing in spurts and waves), they are treated differently in international relations due to this failure of compliance.

Is this in the same universe as that other map you posted a while back?
Yes

Wait, Phoenix has all of 26 people living in it post-WWIII?
It had a rough time post WWIII, but until the 2070s still had a population around 6,000 souls. However, the northmoving climate belts pushed the Lower Colorado area to Death Valley climes, and most people left. It's no longer the main settlement of the Gila River area, and dwindled as the locals sold their homes in exchange for a ticket to Australia or the Sahara. It's now the kind of western town with four buildings, as well as a post office and dirt roads off the state road that runs through town.

so what happened to Kansas City, and more importantly, California?
The whole region remained in an exclusion zone due to nuclear power stations getting nuked and spewing radioactive dust into the air for days till help could hope to intervene, until the sections containing the Missouri River and most of it's tributaries were judged to have below 5 rad of background radiation. And being a city on essentially the Nile, it has grown very swiftly, with a lot of immigration, internal and external, but it still a very young city that is trying to take pains to grow at a responsible rate.

WWIII and the contemporaneous USCWII obscured how many people had truly survived in California or Nevada, but since they had essentially control of this

Screenshot (8)ishlol.png

They governed the two as one. Between desertification, deadly heat waves, and decontamination procedures taking decades in San Francisco Bay and San Onofre, the population south of Santa Rosa left, with lots of small communities that have shrunk below a thousand people. The Indigenous Peoples have used this to reclaim land, and the region is increasingly indigenous, putting decent restrictions on further settlement.

What happened to Atlanta? It is one of the top 10 largest metros.

I think I was confusing metropolitan district for the city itself. Cause most of the people in the Atlanta area might not legally live in Atlanta, before and after WWIII. However, climate change has altered conditions a bit. Atlanta is at times lethally hot, and tends to limit the settlement

I saw Etruscan-enthusiast35's maps using the organization of the Inca Empire for other regions, so I made a Roman Empire themed around that.

The Roman Empire here is split up into 5 imperia named after the 5 colors associated with the cardinal directions in Chinese culture.

Four corners.png

Terra Aureia - The Golden Land, the area directly ruled by the Senate and holds the rights of Roman citizenship.

Imperium Rubrum - The Red Empire, formed from the lands taken from the Ptolemaic kingdoms and Carthage.
Imperium Candidum - The White Empire, formed from the pre-Imperial territories west of Rome.
Imperium Atrum - The Black Empire, formed from the post-Imperial northern territories.
Imperium Viride - The Green Empire, formed from the pre-Imperial territories east of Rome, plus further conquests in Asia.

I like it very much.
Not long ago, a "historical" documentary was shown on television which explained without flinching that the Templars had recovered the Holy Grail in Palestine before leaving for North America to hide it there. It was based on a carved stone found in Minnesota. 🤪
I wanted to ask you, what font did you use for your text?
I used Times New Roman, I use it all the time for essays, so it just looks more "natural" to me.

Eparkhos

Banned
Sevexia - Political (Big).png

The political situation within Sevexia in 1116 AM, shortly before the Barkan Conquests.

Geographically, the peninsula is almost entirely composed of dense jungles spread across rolling hills, an absolute hell to move through. There are mountains across the north and the eastern sides of the peninsula, with highlands in the west and a long plain (still with lots of jungle) stretching down the middle to the coast. Several slow-moving rivers snake from the coast into the interior highlands. The coasts are dominated by shallow banks and coral islands, which are difficult to navigate for all but the natives.

Sevexia is the home to three separate ethnic groups, presented by time of arrival in the peninsula. The first are the autochthonous Nykhs, who are evolved troodontids living in small farming settlements concealed in small valleys in the high mountains. They are on a chalcolithic level of technology, and practice the closest version of magic that exists in this universe, having learned that upon mixing certain types of crystals with the blood of humans they gain a limited ability to manipulate the space-time around them. However, given their minscule and divided populace this has done little but draw the hatred of their neighbors. The second are the A'a, sea-going nomads (think Sama-Bajau) who winter in the islands along the coast. They are very independent-minded and have refused to submit to any land-based authority, although most of the tribes do pay nominal tribute to the Adalien tribe, whose territory is located along the southern coast. The third and largest group are the Ierenib, the losing faction of a Nyakilib civil war who had fled over the mountains in the Fourth Century. What little central control had existed soon collapsed as the Ierenib settled in three separate areas; Mhan in the south, Pet in the west and Alisk in the north. A small number also wandered over the mountains and settled on the eastern coast at Umbra, interbreeding with the local A'a. The three larger polities were priest-king states similar to the Acar states in the north, with the military consisting of heavily armored nobles and peasant levies. Society is organized around farming. There are also several minor human tribes that live in the interior jungle, but they are so cryptic and insular no-one are really sure who they are.

Mhan, Pet and Alisk are all bitter rivals, but given the density of the jungle their options are limited to paying the jungle tribes to raid their opposite number's outskirts or convincing the A'a to sea-lift them up the coast to their enemy homelands. However, their burning hatred has blinded them to other threats, and the Helecans are slowly creeping over the mountains into the western hills and the Umbrans have consolidated their rule over the eastern coast. Soon, the peninsula will be set alight as the three peoples are unified under one banner by the least likely of persons....

P.S. If this gets a good enough reception, I'll make a sequel in the surrounding areas

Sikh Empire.png

THE SIKH EMPIRE (Sarkar-i Khalsa)
1720-1912
Capital: Lahore

RISE:
Sikhism has its origins as a new religion born during the initially tolerant Mughal Empire. However, as the Mughal Emperors lashed out at non-Muslims, Sikhism was subject to growing persecution. In response, the religion militarized.
The Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan died at the hands of his extremely religious conservative son, Aurangzeb in 1658. As Aurangzeb battled with his brother, the unorthodox Dara Shukoh for the throne, the Sikhs backed the latter, lending him their aid (this being the POD). Despite the additional aid, Dara Shukoh was defeated by Aurangzeb. Vengeful, the new Emperor sought to extinguish Sikhism, forcing the Sikhs into greater militarization (more so than OTL). Aurangzeb's religious purity alienated the subjects of his multireligious Empire, resulting in the crumbling of Mughal Power. After Aurangzeb's death, the Sikhs successfully seized Lahore in 1720 and founded the Sikh Empire (eighty years earlier than OTL; the intervening Sikh Confederacy is butterflied by stronger Gurus, stronger militarism, and a distrust of permitting non-Sikhs into the highest levels of power).
What followed was nearly a century of multilateral struggle in India. The Sikhs solidified their control in the North, the Marathas in the South, and the British spilled inwards from eastern Bengal. The Sikhs successfully employed modern guns and powerful cavalry tactics such as the running skirmish. With a centralized government under a succession of Gurus, a large population base in the Punjab, a militarized religious order to guide the state, and the tacit support of the local populace because of their religious toleration, the Sikhs spread outward quickly, defeating the Marathas by the turn of the century.
In order to challenge their rivalry with the British East India Company for the subcontinent, the Sikh Empire courts rivalrous European powers such as the French, the Germans, and the Russians to aid in their military and diplomatic modernization. While competition with the British is fierce, the turning point comes as a Chartist populist revolt overthrows the pro-EIC Conservative government in 1850. As the British government cuts down on aid to the EIC, the Sikh Empire successfully guides an Indian revolt against the British, culminating in the 1870 abandonment of the subcontinent by the British.

PEAK:
The Sikh Empire has another twenty years of prosperity, spreading Sikhism and Punjabi culture throughout the subcontinent. An artistic and musical renaissance occurs. Lahore, Amristsar, and other major cities see impressive architecture constructed. Industry and technology are developed by a military elite interested in keeping imperial dominance of the subcontinent. Sikhism spreads throughout the Empire. However, the idealistic origins of Sikhism, which promoted violence only in self-defense, gender equality, and religious plurality became corrupted overtime by compromise and imperial-minded Gurus. Enemies of the Empire are rarely given mercy. The Sikh Empire reaches its peak in the late 1870s and 1880s under the reign of Guru Khem Singh.

DOWNFALL:
Despite Khem Singh’s efforts, the centrifugal forces of religious conflict within the Sikh faith, between Sikhs, Muslims, and Hindus, the rising forces of nationalism and communism, and the encroaching power of European imperialism brought the Sikh Empire into decline. Successive Muslim revolts, dynastic struggles, and the European seizure of trading enclaves and banking rights over the Sikh Empire ultimately led to its collapse in 1903. It would take nearly another ten years before the last Guru resigned in the face of a democratic revolt. While the Sikh Republic continues to exist today, the corrupting influence of a religious Empire has tarnished the self-defensive origins of the religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.