Exit the Haze: Hitler – The Master strategist who resurrected Germany as a global power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried both a PC and my iPhone. Black on white as usual. Anyone else seeing it like Nuka1?
PS, how does this comment look?
Yes, i am too. I believe the problem is that you are selecting the black font, which does not display against the black theme of this website. What you can choose instead as your font colour is contrast. Contrast always contracts the dominant colour of the theme.

Hmm.. Fascinating. Subbed.

I think that it very much possible for Germany to win by making rational decisions during the war. Instead of trying to bomb the British into submission, the most logical approach is to secure Gibraltar, Malta and Suez. Using Indian revolutionaries like Bose to foment mutiny among Indian troops, and violent agitation by Garam Dal Congress leaders could shake the British into realizing the futility of their situation. Material support or troops are not at all necessary to set India ablaze.

The Nazis would have to seriously up their propaganda game in India for this to work of course. Getting someone like a Savarkar or Bose would be ideal.
I assume these are ideas that would be most relevant in the context of TTL Arab uprisings and after an eventual control of the Suez. I will read up on this. Doesn’t seem like it was on the radar iotl, which is a problem in qualifying the likelihood of this butterfly. Realistically, we can’t have Hitler being the only driver for all ideas ittl, but of course something like this could come on the agenda if the Iraqi rebellion succeeds.

Yes, i am too. I believe the problem is that you are selecting the black font, which does not display against the black theme of this website. What you can choose instead as your font colour is contrast. Contrast always contracts the dominant colour of the theme.
Ok, that’s weird. I got a white theme.

The text on IE, Edge, Firefox and Opera looks good on my browser.

It is readable with no darkness issues as stated by Nuka1.

Ok, that’s weird. I got a white theme.

I assume you're copy pasting your updates from outside the website, since your discussions show up alright, whereas the story updates are written in black (which does not display on a black background). Copy Pasting from outside the website often messes with the formatting, but I'm not sure the hassle of reformatting your updates is worth it, so I'll just change to a white theme when reading your update posts.

Bullshit. They can make the USSR crumble, maybe even before the USA enters the war. This Hitler will probably contact the Japanese about helping the Germans by attacking the Russian Far East, delaying or even avoiding Pearl Harbor entirely.
Not the place to do this but this is an absolute bruh moment. Yes yes, somehow make Barbarossa go even better and ask Japan to invade a bunch of Siberian wasteland instead of getting the oil they need.

Not the place to do this but this is an absolute bruh moment. Yes yes, somehow make Barbarossa go even better and ask Japan to invade a bunch of Siberian wasteland instead of getting the oil they need.
It is ironic because if the Japanese had a global Outlook they would realize it was their turn after Germany. However, for that to happen the POD must be in Japan, and it might be even more difficult to achieve with a single change.

Femto

Banned
If Berlin and Tokyo manage to bring Moscow to the peace table then the Japanese can squeeze some natural resources through the Trans-siberian railroad as a condition in the peace treaty. This is actually a pretty reasonable and achievable demand and the Germans can point that out to the Japanese.

You are being short-sighted.

Last edited:
If Berlin and Tokyo manage to bring Moscow to the peace table then the Japanese can squeeze some natural resources through the Trans-siberian railroad as a condition in the peace treaty. This is actually a pretty reasonable and achievable demand and the Germans can point that out to the Japanese.
Wait until oil and other mineral resources are found under Siberia.
And then the mad battle for Siberia begins.

Yes, but that would take a good 2-3 years of fighting at the very least. There's no "peace table" for the USSR if the Nazis are Nazis.
Meanwhile Japan needs oil, and it needs it now. They're still going to take French Indochina come 1940 which means they lose what was it, like 90% of their oil supply since the US embargoes them? This means their campaign in China is now dead in the water along with any hope of doing anything meaningful in Siberia.

Wait until oil and other mineral resources are found under Siberia.
Not really any oil that's reachable in any reasonable amount of time.

Femto

Banned
Yes, but that would take a good 2-3 years of fighting at the very least.
They did reach Moscow in less than six months OTL, and they are much more strategically grounded in this TL. If they manage to take Moscow and Hitler is reasonable enough(the whole premise of this timeline)than they can reach a peace agreement even if the USSR don't collapse.

They did reach Moscow in less than six months OTL, and they are much more strategically grounded in this TL. If they manage to take Moscow and Hitler is reasonable enough(the whole premise of this timeline)than they can reach a peace agreement even if the USSR don't collapse.
They got very close to Moscow. There's very little strategically or tactically that the Wehrmacht could've done to get to Moscow proper and capture it without Stalingrading themselves a year early. And even if they did take Moscow, Nazis are Nazis so there's absolutely no reason for the Soviets to seek terms unless they're going to agree to getting genocided.

Femto

Banned
They got very close to Moscow. There's very little strategically or tactically that the Wehrmacht could've done to get to Moscow proper and capture it without Stalingrading themselves a year early. And even if they did take Moscow, Nazis are Nazis so there's absolutely no reason for the Soviets to seek terms unless they're going to agree to getting genocided.
They got very close when doing a lot of things wrong and being ill prepared for the whole operation.

Only avoiding wasting planes in the Battle of Britain is a big improvement. But this Hitler is actively trying to distract the USSR to attack them with even more strength and surprise, I would say they would fare much better.

Last edited:
They got very close when doing a lot of things wrong and being ill prepared for the whole operation.
You're missing the part where almost everything went far better than could ever be hoped for and the Soviets were extraordinarily incompetent. There's a point at which the front is too wide and the supply lines too long - this was reached in OTL. I don't see how you could realistically make Barbarossa go any better without resorting to Notzis or the classic "Nazis attempt a different strategy but their opponents for some reason act exactly as they did OTL."

Also, let's ignore everything I just said and presume the Wehrmacht closes the Kiev pocket then proceeds to somehow get its exhausted beyond exhausted divisions into Moscow. Great, now they get to fight Stalingrad-style urban warfare a year early - block by block, street by street, building by building, room by room. You think they can sustain this sort of combat and win? They don't even have the capability to get winter uniforms to the front at this point in time.

Only avoiding wasting planes in the Battle of Britain is a big improvement.
And now that the RAF is unoccupied the UK just sits there doing nothing?

Last edited:
You're missing the part where almost everything went far better than could ever be hoped for and the Soviets were extraordinarily incompetent. There's a point at which the front is too wide and the supply lines too long - this was reached in OTL. I don't see how you could realistically make Barbarossa go any better without resorting to Notzis or the classic "Nazis attempt a different strategy but their opponents for some reason act exactly as they did OTL."

Also, let's ignore everything I just said and presume the Wehrmacht closes the Kiev pocket then proceeds to somehow get its exhausted beyond exhausted divisions into Moscow. Great, now they get to fight Stalingrad-style urban warfare a year early - block by block, street by street, building by building, room by room. You think they can sustain this sort of combat and win? They don't even have the capability to get winter uniforms to the front at this point in time.

And now that the RAF is unoccupied the UK just sits there doing nothing?
Their fighter sweeps (Rhubarb/Rodeo) in 1941 were quite ineffective.
That's a lot of free scrap for the German industry.
And if the RAF does start bombing Germany earlier, then the Luftwaffe will be rudely awaken from their post Heligoland stupor by an angry Hitler who remembers Goering's promise that Germany would never be bombed.
A reverse BoB may happen.

Chapter 4: Attempts to align with Spain and Japan, progress with Sweden and Finland.
Chapter 4: Attempts to align with Spain and Japan, progress with Sweden and Finland.
Following his visit to Rome, Hitler came personally and directly to Madrid to discuss with Franco. Here follows the translatedtranscript of the essential parts of the dialogue between the two dictators:
Franco: Welcome to Madrid, it is an honor to receive you here in Spain, the defeater of the French. I must congratulate you on a great success.
Hitler: Thank you, thank you. I really appreciated the note you send after the armistice was signed. I had had some hopes you might have joined Benito Mussolini in the last of the fighting. I understand the risk involved but a united front makes it all the more likely that peace can be forced upon the British.
Franco: Are they truly still hanging in there?
Hitler: They refuse to throw in the towel. It is imperative for world peace that they realize the futility off this course of action. I implore Spain to support us in this quest.
Franco (wavering): …It is not so easy you see. Even though Britain ultimately will be defeated, we cannot suffer the blockade the British are capable of imposing against us. Spain will starve without imports and our fishing fleets can’t catch any fish without imported fuel.
Hitler: What kind of support would you need?
Franco: Here, we had expected the request and compiled a list.
Franco hands the list to Hitler who examines the summary and the key figures.
Hitler: This will not be easy to accommodate. Is there no other way for you to join the fight? Nothing else you can contribute with.
Franco: I cannot run the risk of blockade without support, so we cannot declare war against Britain. We will do anything short of that.
Hitler subsequently convened with his advisors to explore how best to use the limited offer. When discussions resumed it was agreed to have an intelligence collaboration, relay Spanish naval intelligence to the Kriegsmarine, allow docking and resupply in Spanish ports, and to in all ways assist Germany by acting as an neutral import/export hub for German goods. Franco also agreed to put intense pressure on the Portuguese to sign long term binding contracts for Tungsten supplies, the need for which were becoming quite apparent in Germany.
Hitler next renewed his attempts to align with Japan, efforts which ultimately resulted in the signing of the tri-partite pact in which Italy, Germany and Japan promised to protect each other against any aggressors, but he was unable to get firm assurances for a Japanese intervention against the Soviet Union. In fact, Hitler went as far as promising to look positively upon transferring of French colonies to Japan in such a case, and the Japanese invasion of parts of Indochina during these discussions soured the relations, but did not prevent the signing of the tri-partite pact. Germany would continue to put pressure on the Japanese to assist actively against the Soviet Union, and honor the spirit of the Anti-Comintern-Pact and the Tripartite pact, until the end of 1941, arguing that the ongoing soviet military buildup necessitated an attack (as the best means of a defense).
Additional diplomatic feelers were made towards Sweden. Sweden had supported Finland in the winter war and it is possible Hitler had hopes for a more active participation against the Soviet Union. None would come from this, as Sweden was adamant on neutrality, but commercial collaboration was possible, including the signing of long-term contracts for additional iron imports and imports of ball bearings.
The most positive reception was made in Finland which agreed to work whole-heartedly towards a retake of lost Finnish territory in exchange for German support. Germany agreed to this and detailed planning began. The decisive points of divergence between the two was that Finland did not want to enter the non-Finnish parts of the Soviet Union. Germany made it clear that this was a condition for any help and the Finns would be obliged to work towards a capture of all of Karelia and Leningrad in collaboration with German forces until these goals had been achieved*.. Finland agreed to this and it was decised that overall command of the Arctic front would fall to the finnish field marshal Mannerheim. Finland subsequently agreed to an increase of mining activities in Petsamo in exchange for a premium price on the additional output to be paid on German equipment.

*IOTL they never promised this, so this is a clear difference prompted by Hitler wanted to mobilize all resources on this Front. The other changes to OTL will be the larger supply of Tungsten from Spain and Portugal, Nickel from Finland and ball bearings from Sweden.The Spanish Condor legion will be equipped faster than IOTL.

Edits: "
in collaboration with German forces until these goals had been achieved
" inserted post feedback.

Last edited:
A small update on some of the diplomatic butterflies that happens with this POD. Gibraltar could be taken by the stroke of a butterfly wing.
So far we can all anticipate major changes in Malta, Libya, Greece and something with rearmament. Also, keep in mind that a "fake" battle of Britain is planned to draw ressources from the mediterranean (this will also make the butterflies a bit more controllable/predictable).

Status
Not open for further replies.