Egypt doesn't join the 1948 war?

How can we get Egypt to not join the arab coalition which invaded Israel in 1948? Or at least to minimise it's involvement to the size and strength of Lebanon?
The end result would be a much greater Israeli victory, but what other consequences can be for this scenario?

How could the Israelis do better in the south? Take all of Gaza?
Well not only that, with less pressure from the south Israel could deploy more troops against Jordan amd might take all of the west bank, or at least Judea and Jerusalem.

Taking Gaza would be useful, especially if the population flees, but I think that would need the local Arab population from Gaza to make an attack first. Although it wasn't part of Israel at Partition and fighting in a built-up area - not a great idea? Perhaps the Israelis would take it, (or reduce it in size), but I really think they'd need to be provoked first. Pushing the northern GazaStrip border south, say, 5km down from the OTL border looks sensible, as it mostly puts Zikim, Carmia and Yad Mordechai pretty much out of mortar range. Having said all that, the Israelis have bigger fish to fry further north.

There'd certainly be a much smaller West Bank (and as a result no "wasp waist"). Of course one of the big priorities would be to take all of Jerusalem or at least get the Wailing Wall area, beyond what was held OTL. With no Egyptians, maybe they can push the Arab Legion all the way back into Jordan?

Taking all of Galilee is good, given the fertile land up there.

With no Egyptian involvement, taking all the Negev would be easy, there's very little down there, especially in '48.

Might the Israelis even push a little way up onto the Golan, say to a point at which the kibbutzim lower down aren't such easy targets for bored Syrian gunners in future? But there again, that's not part of Partition Palestine, so maybe not.

I think the Royal Egyptian Air Force was the biggest of the combatants air arms, so take that out of the picture and the infant Heyl Ha-Avir probably gets air superiority, especially when the S-199s and Spitfires arrive.

Goodness only knows what the refugee issue would look like, certainly bigger than OTL.

Deleted member 9338

I agree with what most here have said so far . I do think there would be a greater push for defendable borders, such as the Litani River and Jordan, but at significant higher casualties

I seriously doubt it will be enough to save the Egyptian Monarchy.
Even without the humiliation against Israel, king Farouk is still extremly unpopular with most of his subjects and his refusal to help the other arab nations may end up further alienating his military officers.
The real question is who replaces him.
Without the 1948 war, Nasser may end up losing the power struggle and being replaced by more pragmatic elements of the army.
Of course this could also mean no Suez Crisis

Last edited:

Ramontxo

Donor
Actually it was King Hussein from Jordania who was closer to wait out the war. Acording to "Oh Jerusalem!" from Dominique Lapierre and Larry Collins he actually favoured the Jewish enmigration as an semitic people coming to help moderniced another. And had close conversations with Golda Meir up to just the star of the war . But told her he couldnt resist the pressure and had to declare war.

Last edited:
But what do you think could cause Egypt to not join the war? Would an earlier and messier revolution that caused a civil war in Egypt is possible?