Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

The perfect example of such climatic butterflies ITTL were the shorter medieval warm period due to a larger reforestated area after an early Great Plague has killed a large amount of people who would have used that wood IOTL.

Oh, thanks for the example <3 - that must've been after I stopped reading because of finding a job :p

The structure of the economy and the last dangling element of the old Umayyad military-economic machine
Seriously no one supports a umayyad restoration.

Black Guard.
What is it with islam having shitty royal guard. Why does it keep ending with a praterion/Janissery situation we had slave soldiers do it now the replacement are doing it.

he received an emissary from the court of the then-current Umayyad Caliph, Al-Mustamsik. The missive, carried by a commander of the Black Guard (who had also remained neutral and acted mainly to safeguard Isbili), expressed the opinion that the Hizamid line had grown too decadent to carry out their duties to the Umayyad family, and invited the Asmarids to replace them in Isbili.
I don't know why but i keep getting this seen stuck in a 40k setting the black guard are the custodes. Being an elite force as all they do is guard palace for maybe send a message so just the same as custodes. Umayyads are the god emperor as they 'ruler' but in fact do jack all and and stuck inside there palace while emperor is stuck on a chair roting away which is a great metaphor for the ummayyad currently. Gulliman is this beber guy taking over. Btw this isn't complaining i for some reason legit keep thinking of 40k similarities for no reason.

Serious question what is the situation with proper Andalusians, now berbers in charge have non-merchant andalusians began to rise also. Surely this should lead to expansion of a 'andalusian' army bulk made of natives with berbers, arabs, black guard, slaves soldiers being auxiliary as andalusians have seen all these groups rule now.

What is it with islam having shitty royal guard. Why does it keep ending with a praterion/Janissery situation we had slave soldiers do it now the replacement are doing it.
The eternal issue of manpower, common muslim is busy working or in religious study and that was the closest to a professional soldier at the time

Serious question what is the situation with proper Andalusians, now berbers in charge have non-merchant andalusians began to rise also. Surely this should lead to expansion of a 'andalusian' army bulk made of natives with berbers, arabs, black guard, slaves soldiers being auxiliary as andalusians have seen all these groups rule now.
The Asmarids are decidedly different from the Almohads and Almoravids: They're a cosmopolitan dynasty from the coast. They're not all that different from most Andalusis at this point. The line between coastal Berbers and Andalusians has blurred a lot.

There will be some unhappy people, certainly, but the lack of religious persecutions will probably help.

A day to be proud of, at least for all members of the ALMURABITUN GANG.
ALMOHAD GANG is welcome as well.

Amazing update, as usual, which will surely lead to a more exciting future for the TL. Can't wait to see how exactly the Maghreb and al-Andalus are going to be integrated into one singular empire!
My gang of choice is the AHMADI-CRUZ PARLANTE GANG.

banambuku

As a brazillian, minor nitpick right here, i think that this wouldn't be an ATL for pau-brasil because Pernambuco (or, more accurately, paranãbuku) means (at least for me is the more credible hypothesis) "Long River", as an indigenous name for the river that named OTL State of Pernambuco, the term pernambuco wood comes exactly because of the state (and isn't used in Brazil, here we just call it pau-brasil tl. "brazil wood").

So instead, pau-brasil may be called as an arabization of ibirapitanga (Tupi for "red wood", wow) that is the actual native name for the wood/tree, maybe ībyrabytangha or something along these lines).

Now, i wonder how the native brazillians are faring right now, the epidemics are going to be hard but at least the Atlantic Tupis had an OTL history of acceptance of foreigners, many Tupi intermarried with the portuguese on their own and the portuguese colonists adopted Tupi as their language until the late 18th century. Great update as always!
A day to be proud of, at least for all members of the ALMURABITUN GANG.
ALMOHAD GANG is welcome as well.
The party is when and where? We have to celebrate ;b

My gang of choice is the AHMADI-CRUZ PARLANTE GANG.
What about the Abadi-Santiago Hamadache?
It’s going to be interesting seeing how this new Maghrebi Andalusi empire operates, primarily where it expands. Now that the power base of the Maghbreb has shifted from the Inner Berber tribes to the Coastal Arabic/Berber elites, I wonder what the Tuareg and other Berber tribes will do now. Perhaps an increase in raiding into West Africa as a means to amass wealth and power?

1582147455303.png

Feels good seeing Morocco doing something other than "Umayyad vassals and religious extremists grind each other down for no benefit to anyone."

Morocco has a long desert border and a long coastline to police, and their commander-in-chief is away across the waves. Al-Nasr could pass the emirate to someone else and make them attend to Morocco, but... by now he knows personally how troublesome autonomous Moroccan rulers can be for Spanish lords who can't get their shit together. I wonder if he can dissolve the Asmarid emirate completely and administer Morocco as a series of provinces that are just as accountable to the hajib as Valencia or Denia. And Andalus could do with a bit of standardization too, all the bizarre mix of city-states and rural estates does is give the participants of a fitna a ready source of allies.

I guess "Great Barbary" is now the Christians' new boogeyman, and what a boogeyman it is. Immeasurable land, uncountable soldiers, incomprehensible technology. No one will want to declare outright war on it... but everyone will be probing at it for signs of weakness, or preparing for when war inevitably comes. That long Atlantic coastline is going to need protection from Anglish and Breton pirates real soon. France and Santiago might also be experimenting with levee-en-masse a few centuries ahead of schedule. And I think the Bataids are more likely to sign a truce with the Christians and make a play for the Indian-Ocean makzans than help Andalus in a future time of need.

Last edited:
And I think the Bataids are more likely to sign a truce with the Christians and make a play for the Indian-Ocean makzans than help Andalus in a future time of need.
Oh yes, the Bataids and the Asmarids hate each other. Regular traders from each side get along fine, but the Bataid nobles view the Asmarids as followers of a fake Caliph and the Moors view the Bataids as hicks who follow a fake Caliph. They honestly hate each other more than they hate, say, Genoa or Venice.

Oh yes, the Bataids and the Asmarids hate each other. Regular traders from each side get along fine, but the Bataid nobles view the Asmarids as followers of a fake Caliph and the Moors view the Bataids as hicks who follow a fake Caliph. They honestly hate each other more than they hate, say, Genoa or Venice.
nowthat is atimeline.png

Most blessed timeline created in ah.com.

The eternal issue of manpower, common muslim is busy working or in religious study and that was the closest to a professional soldier at the time
Christians had no issue with manpower. Christians worked italian states were advanced yet could rally big armies for there size. They even had a warrior class knights. Btw this is not me complaining i simply don't understand how the Andalusian cannot simply raise a bunch of farmers or city folk and use them europe did it, england during the war of the roses battle of towton saw 20k strong armies both side and was the bloodiest singular battle in English history to date yet war roses continued. Andaulsia struggles to even raise 20k.

, but the lack of religious persecutions will probably help
This is new.
Shitty royal guard is not a characteristic of Islam, it's a feature of decadent empires (as you yourself noted with the praetorians comparison)
No christians guard didn't kill or abandon there ruler on a whim, byzantine varangian guard died for there emperor, popes swiss guard, Henry Tudor guard remained loyal through out, Olaf Tryggvason men stood firm.

Its not a soley a feature of a decadent empire it causes these empires to collapse, anarchy in samarra broke the abbasid power, ottoman sultans were constantly murdered when they tried to reform, saladin had to burn to death the nubian guard, mamaluks overthrew the ayyubids.

Praetorians killed plenty of capable of emperors helping lead to the decline of the empire. Constantine the great wiped them out as he was smart.

Did Christian rulers etc get turned yes but never to this extent in islam, alot of islam greatest dynasties were weakened or caused there collapse by there royal guard.

Christians had no issue with manpower. Christians worked italian states were advanced yet could rally big armies for there size. They even had a warrior class knights. Btw this is not me complaining i simply don't understand how the Andalusian cannot simply raise a bunch of farmers or city folk and use them europe did it, england during the war of the roses battle of towton saw 20k strong armies both side and was the bloodiest singular battle in English history to date yet war roses continued. Andaulsia struggles to even raise 20k.
Maybe because giving too much power to common muslim means a republic is just next crisis away? that seems the point.

Maybe because giving too much power to common muslim means a republic is just next crisis away? that seems the point.
A republic that early? Is it even possible. While the republic is the future, doesn't mean its around the next corner theres little to justify such drastic change right now.

On to ck2 question time would andalusian and berber still be part of the arabic culture group? Also what portraits would they use.

A republic that early? Is it even possible. While the republic is the future, doesn't mean its around the next corner theres little to justify such drastic change right now.
Techically speaking, the rashidun goverment did count as a republic,a single election republic with close bureaucracy but a republic nonetheless, was Ummayads onward changed to a monarchy, so seems the fear was going back to that style with muslim having enough power to fight in a multiside fitna.

The Black Guard don't seem as bad as the Janissaries yet, unlike the Janissaries (who were meant as a proper army from the start) the Black Guard is still a royal guard. This update doesn't describe them as a swaggering force proud and strong enough to dictate terms to everyone else-- they are always playing second fiddle, first to the Banu Angelino and then al-Nasr. Although they cooperate in scheming the scheming is, so far, initiated by other actors that deserve the blame for the fall of the Hizamids a lot more.

I think Europe avoided the troubles posed by Muslim standing armies because they didn't have their own standing armies until much later. During the Middle Ages they relied on a mix of mercenaries, levies, and conscripts that gathered only for specific campaigns. Exceptions to this, like Matthias Corvinus's Black Army, didn't last long (the Army was dissolved by his successor). And even then politics wasn't safe from military intervention. England was gathering some big armies in the Wars of the Roses, sure... after over a century of interstate war and a decade or two of civil war made war in general a lucrative profession, especially for military entrepreneurs like Warwick. If Europe avoided the problems of a single standing army trying to capture the central government and run it themselves, it still ended up with several smaller armies trying to sabotage the central government, with some success in pre-Valois France and rather more in the Holy Roman Empire.

The examples most similar to the Muslim case (wars over the central government) would probably be the Carolingians, who were the Merovingians' "mayors of the palace" until they took the palace for themselves; the Norman conquerors of Southern Italy; the Sforzas, a dynasty of upjumped condottieri who rose and fell by the sword; the Dutch Republic, essentially a confederation of urban militias and merchant fleets; Napoleon taking over Revolutionary France.

Last edited:
Techically speaking, the rashidun goverment did count as a republic,a single election republic with close bureaucracy but a republic nonetheless, was Ummayads onward changed to a monarchy, so seems the fear was going back to that style with muslim having enough power to fight in a multiside fitna.
Tbf wouldn't the rashidun now be viewed as how rome viewed the kingdom era a legendary time long past. Almost all muslims praise it but barely any muslim leaders tries to act like it if they do they die.

, so far, initiated by other actors that deserve the blame for the fall of the Hizamids a lot more.
But they are meant to serve the hizamids first aren't they?

Wait who do the black guard serve the caliph or hijab?
true mad lad.

Btw whats happening with that Santiago lost prince bloodline he eventually led to a muslim family of prominance where is it?

Tbf wouldn't the rashidun now be viewed as how rome viewed the kingdom era a legendary time long past. Almost all muslims praise it but barely any muslim leaders tries to act like it if they do they die.
And that is a shame, being a republic could solved a lot of issues..or guaranteed a fitna in every election after a caliph die..who knews but i think would be an improvement

And that is a shame, being a republic could solved a lot of issues..or guaranteed a fitna in every election after a caliph die..who knews but i think would be an improvement

Problem with this is that the Shi'i view of leadership was that it belonged with the Al al-Bayt, and that's not conditional. It's like if a party ran in an election, promising to abolish elections-- if it wins it will make sure it's never contested again, or that any contests for power are only among members of the Al al-Bayt. So if not even a single Shi'i imam can be allowed to take over, there needs to always be someone standing ready to block them during every succession of power. It seems inevitable that the Umayyads would decide on monarchy as the solution, and that later monarchs would take this as an endorsement. And then the Shi'i imams maintained father-son succession right up until the Twelfth Imam for one branch, and until the very end of the Fatimid Dynasty for the other.