A Green And Pleasant Land

Family Tree Of Alexander III of Scotland

VVD0D95

Banned
Family tree Alexander III of Scotland.jpg

I really love these domestic moments you write between spouses. I wonder who else has gone on Crusade asides from the monarchs you have already mentioned? It would be a good learning experience for Prince Edward, for instance.

VVD0D95

Banned
I really love these domestic moments you write between spouses. I wonder who else has gone on Crusade asides from the monarchs you have already mentioned? It would be a good learning experience for Prince Edward, for instance.

Cheers :). And Eddie might be there, though his father might've wanted to take Alphonso instead, to show him the ropes.

Well, he needs Alphonso to run the kingdom for him while he's gone, and Alphonso is already a proven soldier and commander anyway. Has Prince Edward already married yet, by the way?

VVD0D95

Banned
Well, he needs Alphonso to run the kingdom for him while he's gone, and Alphonso is already a proven soldier and commander anyway. Has Prince Edward already married yet, by the way?

This is true. And we're going to be looking at Edward junior very soon, so you're going to get your answer there ;)

Chapter 92: Crusades

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 92: Crusades

January, 1305

Just when he thought the chance of another crusade had ended, the call had come from His Holiness. Edward was never one to turn down the opportunity to serve Christ and so he had taken the Cross, and with Eleanor accompanying him alongside their son Edward, and a few thousand men from England and Gascony, they had set sail first to northern Italy, where the Genoese had provided them with more ships and they had put up with the French Presence, and then from there to Egypt. To the lands of the Pharaohs and Alexander the Great. The new Egyptian Pharaoh Cyril had met them and given them some five hundred men and then they’d ridden off toward the Holy Land. And now here they were.

Edward looked at the map before them and said. “We defeated the remnants of the Muhammadeans horde at Rafah, we know from our spies and scouts that they are regrouping with a bigger force at Ascalon. Therefore, it makes sense for us to advance there. Once we defeat them at Ascalon, they will know that we are here to stay.”

“How many men do they have?” King Philippe of France asked. They were speaking in French for the body of this army all spoke it, rather than the German of the forces that had accompanied the Emperor.

Edward looked at his trusted companion, Henry de Lacy and the man said. “Some three thousand men, all foot. Their horse is protecting Jerusalem itself.”

The French King smiled. “Then we have the advantage and should be the ones to dictate where the battle happens.”

Edward was for some reason worried about the way his younger French counterpart had phrased that statement and so asked. “What are you thinking?”

“I think we should send out an advance party toward the village of Hiribya, a sight that they will know as a victorious one for their cause. We should station archers in the main buildings and send some of the foot there as well, and then when they come charging toward us, we shoot them down with our arrows.” Philippe said.

Edward looked at the man, he was politically smart that much had been obvious by how he had negotiated the alliances for this crusade, but militarily he sounded like an idiot. “You assume that just because the Muhammadeans won a battle there a hundred years ago that they will come running the moment they hear we have a force there?” He shook his head. “They are heretics not idiots. They will not simply send men off to die, not if they know our force is greater than theirs.”

“So, what do you suggest we do then?” The French King shot back.

“I would recommend we take Hiribya as a place to rest on our march, and to take stock of what stands before us. I would then suggest we advance on the enemy at Ascalon.” Edward said.

“And you do not think they will call for reinforcements from Jerusalem should they know the true size of our army?” The French King demanded.

“We would still have the element of surprise. After all we ensured that those dregs that fled northwards would not know what had hit them.” Edward said, that had been the King of Naples suggestion, a rare good suggestion from the Anjou King.

The French King said nothing for a moment and then replied. “Very well, and assuming we have won at Ascalon what then? Do we head straight for Jerusalem or not?”

Edward shook his head. “I would not recommend that no. We must ensure that we take Acre and Haifa to secure the ports and potential supply routes. I do not like leaving Jerusalem to our rear but it is the sensible choice. They will expect us to come for them directly if we win at Ascalon.”

There was some muttering at that, but eventually the King of France said. “You are right of course. We must secure those areas that are nearest to the sea, otherwise who knows what happens.”

“Indeed.” Edward said.

“Now, unless there is anything else, I suggest we all retire. We shall have a long march tomorrow.” Charles of Naples said.

With that they all rose and left the command tent, Edward said nothing as he made his way back to his tent, he knew he was getting on in years, but still there was the thrill of the chase, the thought that they might soon be approaching Jerusalem, it was far too much excitement. He entered the tent and saw Eleanor reading something or the other. He came and stood before her and asked.

“What are you reading?”

Eleanor looked up and smiled at him, and that smile after all these years still made his heart do funny things. “A letter from Alphonso. He says that Edward’s wife has given birth to a girl.”

Edward nodded. “I shall have to let Henry know.”

Eleanor hummed and then asked him. “How was the meeting?”

Edward sat down next to Eleanor and took her hand in his. “It went well enough. The King of France still acts as though we are in France and not in the Holy Land though.”

“He’s not thinking straight is he?” Eleanor asked.

Edward laughed. “Not at all. I do not know what to do to make him see sense. At least he agreed with the plan after Ascalon.”

“I don’t think there is much you can do to get him to change, my love.” Eleanor said. “You’re just going to have to keep your head.”

Edward laughed again. “So, it seems.”

Well once in a timeline, the crusader army seems well prepared; I suppose that the Templars are there leaded by Jaques de Molay; wouldn't it be fun if hewas the one who saved the life of Phillip earning his eternal gratitude in this timeline?

VVD0D95

Banned
Well once in a timeline, the crusader army seems well prepared; I suppose that the Templars are there leaded by Jaques de Molay; wouldn't it be fun if hewas the one who saved the life of Phillip earning his eternal gratitude in this timeline?
Oh now that would be fun 😏

Chapter 93: The Eagle Rises

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 93: The Eagle Rises

April, 1305

“The Turks have removed themselves to Domanic, Sire.” Phokas said. Andronikos was not sure what to make of the man. He was a man who Andronikos admired for his role in destroying the Venetians. But he was also crass and vulgar in some aspects of his manner, and he had no head for court. But he was a great commander.

“And their leader?” Andronikos asked. Osman Ghazi had been badly wounded during the battle Inegol and Andronikos desperately hoped the man was dead.

“Our spies report that he has not been seen openly by their army since the battle, but that orders are being issued in his name. The most likely course is that his eldest son is the one actually in charge now.” Phokas replied.

“And his eldest son is experiencing his first campaign now, and is thus likely to be inexperienced and nervous.” Andronikos’ eldest son and heir, Michael said.

“Exactly, Your Imperial and Royal Highness.” Phokas said.

“So, we have a choice then.” Andronikos said. “We either move onto Domanic directly and challenge Osman Ghazi and his men, or we move onto Sogut and Eskisehir, take both of those cities and then move onto Domanic.”

“The former option would perhaps give us the chance to deal with the threat of Osman and his men once and for all, however, it would leave us with the risk that the Beylik of Candar could march directly to Goynuk and take it for their own.” Phokas said. “The latter option would allow us to consolidate the army and allow the people of this region to see Your Imperial Majesty as a saviour.”

Michael spoke then. “Phokas is right, Sire. The latter option is the most sensible course of action. We have sufficient men to take Sogut and Eskisehir, but we do not know whether we could stand with those two cities to our back.”

Syrgiannes Palaiologos, a distant commander and a high-ranking officer in the army spoke then. “I disagree, Your Imperial Majesty. I think that we would expend unnecessary man power trying to take the two cities, when we could end the threat immediately by fighting and defeating Osman Ghazi and his son.” There were some murmurs of agreement around the table, which emboldened the man to continue. “Furthermore, if we move to Sogut we need to march eastward, whereas Domanic is south of here. We would be reducing the time needed.”

“Taking Sogut and Eskisehir is the strategically smart thing to do. It would ensure that Osman does not have the chance to get reserves from those two cities before we get to him.” Phokas said.

“I’m simply saying that I think that we must cut the head off the snake.” Syrgiannes said.

Andronikos could see Phokas biting his tongue and decided he’d heard enough for now. “Thank you for that Syrgiannes, we shall go with what Phokas has to say. We shall march on Sogut and take it and then move from there. With God on our side this Turkish menace will be done.” With that he waved a hand and dismissed his officers, however, his son Michael remained behind.

“You have something more to say?” Andronikos asked tiredly.

“Only that there has been word from the Holy Land.” Michael replied.

“And?” Andronikos asked.

“The crusaders defeated an army at Ascalon. They’re marching northwards to meet with Albert of Austria.” Michael said.

Andronikos nodded. “Very well.” He wondered if this would make his life easier or worse.

Chapter 94: Tripoli

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 94: Tripoli

August, 1305

“The Muhammadeans have retreated to Masyaf following their defeat at Tortosa.” Albert, Holy Roman Emperor said. “Consequently our hold over the County of Tripoli has strengthened. My son Rudolph sent word that he had managed to take Margat, thus completing the securing of the last Muhammadean stronghold.”

There were murmurs of approval at that, and Albert himself had to admit that he was somewhat surprised at how quickly they had managed to take the advantage. He’d expected the Muhammadeans to be harder to beat, but he supposed the loss of Egypt had completely dented their confidence. The fact that the Mongols were also hounding them from the East probably meant that they were not getting any respite.

Charles, King of the Romans and a hero of the First Battle of Tripoli spoke then. “That is excellent news, Sire. With Tripoli, securely in our hands we have the perfect base from which to ensure that the crusade continues successfully.”

“Indeed,” Albert said nodding in agreement. “Eberhard, you said you had word from the south?”

Eberhard, Count of Wurttemberg nodded. “I do, Your Imperial Majesty. The forces under King Edward of England’s command defeated an army at Ascalon and are now planning to march on Acre and Jaffa.”

“Is that wise?” Herman, Margrave of Brandenburg asked. “Surely it would make more sense to go straight for Jerusalem, especially as the Muhammadeans are now completely on the back foot.”

There was some murmuring of agreement there, but the King of the Romans spoke. “I think the plan makes sense. They need to secure the sea routes, for more supplies and for anyone else who decides to join our noble venture, such as the Knights Hospitaller and the Knights Templar.” An odd smile crossed the King of the Romans face then, and Albert knew it was because of the word they had received a few days ago that a member of the hated Knights Templar-at least in Paris- had saved the life of the King of France. “I think once they have secured Acre and Jaffa that they will then move on Jerusalem, and once they do that, we can join them.”

“What would we do until then?” Herman asked, looking at Albert now.

“We would ensure that the Muhammadeans cannot return to strength. The Mongols have said they will continue barricading the remnants of the Muhammadean army in Masyaf, but we must prepare Tripoli in case they try something. We must strengthen the county, and begin settling the place.” Albert said, referring to the number of peasants, and second or third sons who had accompanied the crusaders on their way to the Holy Land.

“A wise suggestion, Sire.” Charles said. “And one that will give us time to rebuild our strength. After the battles that have been fought in the County we have suffered from some casualties.” That was no doubt in reference to the young King of Bohemia who was currently lying in a bed somewhere in the fortress, either dying or close to it.

“Indeed.” Albert replied. “Though of course, we will eventually need to discuss Antioch and how best to protect it from any further incursions from the north. The Beyliks are no doubt eyeing it with concern.” During their journey southwards, Albert had received word from the Eastern Roman Emperor, who advised him to be cautious due to the efforts of the Turks, who were threatening Antioch now that the Mamluks had fallen. Thankfully, they had managed to defeat their attempts and the Principality had all but thrown its gates open to the former rulers in the form of the Lord and Lady of Tyre.

“Antioch should not be an issue, Sire.” John of Cyprus said. “Our cousin, the Lady Margaret has reported that the locals have been in strong support of her measures, and the Templars have done everything within their power to help keep her in power.”

Albert nodded. “Still, one cannot be too careful.” He was mindful that if everything went according to plan, the Mongols might still demand vassalage from these states and that was not something he wanted.

King Henry of Cyprus, who was also technically King of Jerusalem spoke then. “I think these are all reasonable sentiments, I pray for the day when we can fly the flag over Jerusalem’s walls once more.” His German had improved with time, though it still sounded rough.

“As do I, Sir. As do I.” Albert responded in kind.

That's a big coalition that was put together for this Crusade. Then again, there has been a long period of relative peace in Europe.

Chapter 95: Wales In Need

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 95: Wales In Need

November, 1305

“The Lieutenant of Ireland has written once more, my Prince, stating that the lords of the Lordship are struggling to keep to the terms of the agreement.” Walter Langton, Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield said.

Alphonso wanted to groan, this was the seventh such letter that had been sent. “What are they struggling with now?” He asked.

Langton took a look at the document and then said. “It seems they feel the borders agreed with the native Kings are too restrictive, and that the native Kings are not actually abiding by the terms of the agreement.”

Alphonso repressed a sigh and asked. “Is this true?” He hoped it wasn’t, he didn’t want to have to go back to Ireland. He’d had enough of the place to last him a lifetime.

Langton didn’t reply, instead he looked at the Earl of Ulster who had come from Ireland several months ago at King Edward’s request and was serving as an advisor on the council. Ulster spoke calmly. “Whilst it is true that there are some who feel the native Kings are not agreeing to the terms of the agreement, many of the lords simply want a fair hand to do as they wish in their domains. Something that King Edward promised them they would receive.”

You mean something he had to promise because I let that rebellion get out of hand. Alphonso thought bitterly. His father had never said it to his face, but he got the feeling disappointment over his handling of the Irish affair had made his father feel the need to increase the regency council instead of keeping it to the normal five or so members. Alphonso took a breath, knowing what he knew, there was no point in sulking over it, he had to sort this matter out. “Very well.” He said. “Send word to the lords who are complaining and tell them they are welcome to present their case before the throne.”

“You are sure, my Prince?” Ulster asked.

“I am.” Alphonso said. “This is an issue that needs to be resolved.”

“Very well, I shall send the letters myself.” Ulster said.

Langton then cleared his throat and said. “There is another matter that needs urgent attention, my Prince. Mainly that some of the nobles of this Kingdom have begun voicing complaints about the high rate of taxation they are having to pay.”

This time Alphonso laughed. “They do not wish to have their souls ascend into heaven, due to the King’s good crusade?”

Langton blushed. “It is not that, my prince. I think it is simply that they feel they are paying a lot of money and are not getting their concerns fairly heard.”

“And what concerns are those?” Alphonso asked, though he suspected he knew what they might be.

“Mainly that they are paying so much but they are not being able to fairly criticise the administration as they see it.” Langton said.

Alphonso spread his arms out and replied. “They have the right to come to London to petition, as do all subjects of the King. If they were willing to leave their lands for a moment to actually do that, they would find a receptive ear.” He knew that he could not call a Great Council, his father had warned him against doing so, so this was the next best thing.

“Many are unwilling to do so, due to local rivalries. The marcher lords might all be on crusade, my Prince, but their heirs are still there and they have the same grudges.” Langton replied.

Alphonso wanted to ask Langton what he recommended the solution should be, but he knew the man would simply defer to his judgement. Therefore, he said. “Very well, in the new year we shall venture out on a progress. Meeting with those lords who have concerns, and we shall ensure that their concerns are addressed fairly.”

He expected protests, but was surprised when Langton merely said. “A wise choice, my Prince.”

“Good,” Alphonso said. “Now is there anything else?”

“Only that word has come from the King, Acre has fallen to the crusaders.” Langton said.

Alphonso smiled. “Excellent.”