All To Play For: The Home Nations' Football Adventures

Mr Q, your timeline has been a feastfull of football for our senses...I loved this WC 2018 conclusion, this happy ending for Scotland...that certainly I remember vividly where the place I was that day after lunch, erupted as if they were all scottish when Robertson fired his shot to the top left...it was marvellous!! One tend to think that after all these years, the rivalry between Argentina and England may seem lost, but when it comes to the world cup, that old antagonism revives beautifully. I still have my Scotland jersey, as many argentinians that purchased during that day...it was such an amazing feeling that reminds me when I was 11 years old, and Bielsa's Newells Old Boys defeated Boca Juniors (I'm River plate fan) at the title match in La Bombonera itself...I felt that weird joy, but beautiful joy indeed only football allows...

And everytime I have agnollotis for lunch, I remember that 2018 sunday

Looking forward new tournaments to cover up!

Thank you mate! It's has been great to have your support along the way and I hope things for Argentina went well for you ITTL! It is going to be strange not to do any big updates until this summer. Anyway, for now I'll do doing look backs on minor tournaments such as Brazil '72, which will be next, as well as the 1950 World Cup which will include a slight retcon plus the POD of this whole TL, been doing some research in thinking how football might've been all so different if Scotland had gone to Brazil that year...

Hopefully it won't be long for the Euro 2020 update, but for now, the big updates will be on hiatus. :)

As long as I eventually get the winner of a tourmanet right.....

Also always rooting for a small country to win. Like Iceland, etc.

So we're finally at the end, at least for now, and after only 168 chapters. Though I admit to having hoped for more domestic football updates, I can only say that this is one of, if not the, best sporting TL I've read on this site so well done!

And, of course, thank you for sharing it with us!

So we're finally at the end, at least for now, and after only 168 chapters. Though I admit to having hoped for more domestic football updates, I can only say that this is one of, if not the, best sporting TL I've read on this site so well done!

And, of course, thank you for sharing it with us!

Thank you, there will be time to do domestic football updates in the time before we get to Euro 2020 as well as various tweaks here and there so look out for that! :)

I'm crying reading this I can only imagine how I'd have been if this happened. Great timeline, great ending just great overall thank you.

Thank you, always wanted to have Scotland win a WC eventually ITTL and having it happen not only at Wembley but the great finale seemed like the way to go.

Still, not often all the Home Nations get a moment in the sun in such a TL. But yeah, I can imagine how all us Scots would've felt winning it at Wembley...I would've suffering from alcohol poisoning and drinking nonstop for a whole week after the final! x'D Wonder how you would've been? ;)

Thank you, always wanted to have Scotland win a WC eventually ITTL and having it happen not only at Wembley but the great finale seemed like the way to go.

Still, not often all the Home Nations get a moment in the sun in such a TL. But yeah, I can imagine how all us Scots would've felt winning it at Wembley...I would've suffering from alcohol poisoning and drinking nonstop for a whole week after the final! x'D Wonder how you would've been? ;)

This more or less sums it up I think

Flashback - 1950 FIFA World Cup Qualification and Past History
Flashback - 1950 FIFA World Cup Qualification and Past History
And now...it's time for the encore performance with all the minor tournaments and other various football related stuff that didn't make it into the TL but now will not only add more details but perhaps answer some questions that'll keep this TL alive as summer comes soon. So where to begin that to start of with the POD of this TL with the qualification of the 1950 World Cup in Brazil...

---------
Following the end of the Second World War, the world could look forward to hopeful everlasting peace and for some, the return of football with 1950 being the year in which the FIFA World Cup would return being hosted in Brazil, though there would be a few changes with certain teams making their debut. Ever since the 1930's, the Home Nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland had been excluded by FIFA of the status of amateur players [1], not that at first it didn't bother them as they were all more than contented with them playing in their annual British Home Championship, though it had always been a two horse race between the English and the Scots due to having the advantage of having known football earlier.

In 1930 however, something happened in Uruguay, a new tournament known as the FIFA World Cup that would also help celebrate the country's centenarian of Nationhood in which many nations were invited. However due to the long distance travel, many declined to participated and the British football nations, despite being pleaded by the host to help make up the numbers, declined to take part due to not only the distance but, rather arrogantly, believed that British football was of far greater quality than anything that happened beyond the British Isles [2].

Despite the next two World Cups being held closer to home in Europe, not only was FIFA's ban still in place for them but also their view of feeling better that the rest of the World still tainted their mindset. It wouldn't be until after the end of WWII that FIFA would invite the Home Nations back to become members of FIFA and that meant that they were able to qualify for the next World Cup, the first post-war tournament that was to be held in Brazil. As a way of making the qualification more tempting for the British teams, the top two sides would be given an automatic place at that World Cup in which the 1949/50 British Home Championship would double up as a qualify group which in hindsight would look strange but nonetheless quite a straight forward way to get to Brazil for two teams summer holidays [3].

49435174897_a80f162274_o.png

Final results of the 1949/50 British Home Championship
To the surprise of perhaps no one, England and Scotland would destroy the Irish and Welsh teams which made it more than clear that they were to be heading on the next flight to Brazil in the summer, however other than being either nation's first time taking part in qualification, it would be the last time there would be seen an all Irish side before they would be split in two sides, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland from 1953 onwards [4]. However for the Scots despite looking pretty much set for the World Cup they found themselves facing a really bizarre and some might say ludicrous decision from the SFA Chairman, George Graham, said that Scotland would only go to the World Cup if they won the British Championship in what set to be a winner takes all game at Hampden Park [5]. It would seem that second place was no good for the Scots, even if they were on level points with England (goal difference had never been a thing for the Home Championship.)

The English were planning to go even if they finished in second place so the pressure was all on the Scots to not only beat England, but secure their place at the World Cup. The build up to the game was quite infamous with Scotland captain George Young and his English counterpart Billy Wright along with players in both teams pleading to the SFA to go regardless [6]. Alas, the only way the Scots would go was to simply not to lose and little did anyone knew then was that this certain Auld Enemy clash was to be perhaps one of the most important in the history of British football.

The game itself would be a tight affair with it looking to go either way but it would be in the 63rd minute when England would break the deadlock via Roy Bentley [7] which as it stood looked like Scotland were going to miss out on a place in Brazil. However it would be in the 70th minute when Scotland responded when Willie Bauld's shot saw the ball nearly hit the bar but managed to squeeze in to put Scotland level [8]. It would seem however that might've been it, but with the mindset that they mad to win the group, the Scottish players decided to risk it and go for the jugular and win the game. Indeed the English looked rattled by that goal and it would be right with five minutes to go in which Willie Waddle volleyed in a wonderful shot below the bar which give Scotland the lead [9] and thus in the end the victory that saw not only, Scotland triumph over the English at Hampden, but also saw them win the British Home Championship that season and secure their place in Brazil for that World Cup. Talk about killing three birds with one stone...

soccer-british-home-championship-scotland-v-england-hampden-park-G6AA67.jpg

Photo of the match between Scotland and England at Hampden Park which would see Scotland win 2-1 after falling 1-0 earlier in the game
While the English might've been hurt from their loss, they didn't really seem to mind that their fellow rivals were to join them on the way to the World Cup though the travel arrangements were to be quite unusual by modern day standards. With many nations pulling out from qualifying either it being due to post war depression or other various factors, the FA and the SFA would see both sides share the same flight over to Brazil and agreed to cover the costs of the traveling needed in Brazil [10] even though the hosts were willing to help with said costs.

In the end however despite many nations being invited, only the two sole British sides taking part in the World Cup would be the only debut teams in that tournament and while they were about to experience a brave new world of football, them appearing in that tournament wouldn't be the only thing they would make their mark on which was to have an effect on the football world in this and the many years that were to follow...

---------
Here we are, the very start of the TL 'All To Play For' in which does sound familiar to the very first TL I did that focused on Scotland at the 1950 World Cup many years ago, however this isn't a retcon per say as it technically was never added at the start of this TL when I first started but nonetheless gave me the chance to fill in the gaps and improve the POD much more and here are the some the changes to history as follows if you noticed the numbers...

[1] As per OTL.
[2] As per OTL, Uruguay did try to invite the British teams to the 1930 World Cup when many teams couldn't go to help make up the numbers but the British didn't think anything of it at the time.

[3] As per OTL, having the British Home Championship that season as a qualification group and see two top teams go through was done by FIFA to help sweeten the deal for them to turn up.
[4] As per OTL.
[5] This actually happened, George Graham you could say is the real villain of Scottish football history for preventing Scotland from going due to thinking that it wouldn't be right if Scotland qualified while finishing runners up. If only he'd just let them go...
[6] IRL this actually happened but alas, the SFA weren't swayed by their pleads.
[7] As per OTL.
[8] And this is it, here is the POD of the TL. Bauld IRL hit the bar but here, he manages to get it into goal which helps give Scotland the equaliser. Which in turn...
[9] Waddle IRL did come close to get a goal but his shot went over the bar, here with Scotland under some momentum, have the confidence in which he sends the ball under the bar to help Scotland win the game and thus, the group. (Bauld and Waddle should be the real heroes of Scottish football when you think what those two would've done for the game in Scotland!)
[10] Was the plan had Scotland joined England to Brazil even though the hosts were willing to cover any costs that were to be needed to travel around Brazil.

So there we, what'd you think of this POD? Quite realistic compared to what I did a few years ago that really could've happened IRL. Anyway, next little update will cover the 1950 World Cup and a different format which will see a knockout phase due to reason we'll soon see why. Until then...catch you later!

Great TL but have to point out the World Cup Final in 2018, being played on a Sunday ( as all are ), would not be or need to be a Bank Holiday

Flashback - 1950 FIFA World Cup
Flashback - 1950 FIFA World Cup

1950-World-Cup-Logo.jpg

Upon Scotland's victory over England in that final game at Hampden from that moment onwards, Scotland along with the English were set to make their international debut at the World Cup in Brazil that next summer. It was all to be something of a strange time for both organisations for the chairmen of the FA and SFA respectably, Amos Brook Hirst and George Graham, went out Brazil in May of 1950 to watch the draw along with the many other chairmen and local dignitaries of various other places there would see England grouped with Spain, United States and Chile while the Scots were placed along with France, Uruguay and Bolivia. However things proved to be something of a changeable situation as both France and India would pull out late on shortly after the draw with the former pulling out due to the costs of traveling around Brazil and the other, perhaps oddly, due to not be allowed to play barefooted [1].

In the end, only 14 teams out of a possible 16 were to play but thanks to one George Graham who had nearly stopped Scotland from going in the first place, looked liked he was going to all end for the Scots even before they had kicked a ball. The bullish SFA chairman had noticed the format of how the tournament was going to play out in which the top four teams who would each of the four groups would then go into a final group in which would be settled by how many points would be won and not a straight forward knockout situation that that happened before, Brazil would play all their games in Rio. Apparently it had been made this way by the Brazilian football association to give them the best possible chance of winning the World Cup and refused to change the format or if so they would cancel [2]. However they hadn't expected to come across one certain George Graham who publicly blasted the format shortly after the draw was made claiming that the Brazilians were trying to cheat their way to win the cup and it wasn't a surprise to many that he found himself in hot water over his comments [3] and could have threatened to see Scotland kicked out of the tournament.

However when many listened they realised that Graham may had a point with the English FA joining in the protest as did several other associations that followed with the threat they would all boycott the tournament. Despite Brazil trying their best to hold their ground, they couldn't face the thought of many more nations pulling out at this late stage and at the start of June, the hosts finally gave in to the demands that the top two would go through to a last eight knockout stage on the condition that the hosts would play in Rio. Unknown to anyone then but this last minute switch of the format would have consequences for both British teams especially [4]. Nonetheless, everything was in place and the Scottish and English teams would meet up at London where both teams would catch a flight to Rio and into the unknown for the future of British football.

1950 draw v2.png

Draw of the 1950 World Cup, note the withdraws of India and France

Along with sharing the costs of the transatlantic flight to South America, the SFA and FA had agreed to share the cost of flying for to the various stadiums around the large country [5]. Prior before leaving London, they were given a grand send off to wish them well on their endeavour, but all those players wanted was to get there. Even as the plane began to descend into Rio, the players on both sides only felt something about this adventure to Brazil was really a watershed moment for England and Scotland. The players, staff of both football associations, journalists and various hangers on all look down from their windows as the plane circles above the Brazilian capital Rio de Janeiro with Sugar Loaf Mountain jutting out and the world famous Copacabana beach seemingly stretching out for miles.

Eventually the plane lands at Rio and as soon as both teams get off the plane, pandemonium breaks out from the locals welcoming the teams, it seems the build and excitement for the World Cup has reached fever pitch when the British teams arrived as journalists accommodating the teams note for the various newspapers they are covering. As they enter the terminal building and greeted by the excited and happy crowds, there is something special that England and Scotland have arrived to a country that really loves it's football with the fact that the Brazilians respect the fact that England is the motherland of the game while for the Scots, they can take pride in the fact that it was a fellow Scot named Thomas Donohoe who introduced football to Brazil in 1893 and considered to be the father of Brazilian football [6]. In many ways it's more of a homecoming.

After arrival, there is a meeting at the British embassy in Rio in which the teams meet with Sir Nigel Ronald, British ambassador to Brazil, who gives the teams his best wishes and hopes that winning the World Cup here in Brazil would be a victory for all of Britain and a much needed lift for a country still getting over the traumas of the second World War. No Pressure indeed.

The two teams then go their separate ways with England's first game to be played against Chile and Scotland's first would be with Bolivia but in typical arrogant fashion going into this World Cup, they hadn't thought about that not only where many teams outside the British isles were really good, but also the hot South American in the summer climate might cause problems for both teams, especially that both were wearing the cotton based shirts and shorts and heavy leather boots that might've been good back home but not here in this new world of football.

49434952741_fb589f781f_o.png

Final table ranking and results of Group 4
While England's results were being more documented by the London based media [7], the Scottish coverage was rather small in comparison which wasn't really a bad thing in hindsight as a lot of the media coverage would not get in the way and this would come in handy as their first World Cup game on 25th June against Bolivia had all the ingredients to be something of a banana skin for the Scots despite the Bolivians being regarded as the whipping boys of the group.

The Scots would find the early goings of the game hard with Bolivia actually causing problems for the Scots thanks to the Scottish players being uncomfortable playing in the hot, humid climate of Brazil with their heavy cotton kit being a bad mix. Before the end of the first half though the Scots do manage to break down the Bolivians to lead at 1-0. After that, the Scots do finally get the better of the South Americans to eventually run out as 3-0 victors in a game that by the end they might've gotten more...

Had the original plan gone, Scotland would've faced France four days later but with the French pulling out, Scotland had time to relax and learn more about the style of football in Brazil that they would take back with them that would have an affect on the National side in the years hat followed. Scotland's final group game would be with former World Champions Uruguay and there would be a sense of dread facing them as they would soon hear the news that poor Bolivia would be thrashed 8-0 by them [8], though on the plus side with France not being here, Scotland and Uruguay were both guaranteed to qualify for the Knockout stage with the loser likely having to face off a rampant Brazil side.

maxresdefault.jpg

Scotland take on Uruguay in 1950
Uruguay would show their worth and would pretty much dominate the game to win 3-1; Scotland's only goal in that game being something a fluke in a game in which the South Americans could have won by more. It would be wake up call for the Scottish players who could see Uruguay's kits being very different to their own. Their strips looked lightweight in contrast to the Scottish team’s heavy cotton tops and their boots are like carpet slippers while the Scots have ones which have stiff leather up the ankle, a steel plate in the sole and a bulbous toecap. Boots that quite honestly were never designed for comfort nor speed and as the players lined up on the field and one by one of the Scottish players and the small Scottish media team begin to think that maybe the British game isn’t perhaps the greatest in the world and that it could be over taken in future.

Uruguay would win the group and Scotland as runners up with the losing team now having to face the host at the legendary Maracanã Stadium, though from a financial retrospect, this wouldn't be a bad thing as the huge crowds that the hosts were getting were more than sure to put money into the SFA's coffers and this would be major later on when reports of forge tickets of international games back home had been bleeding the SFA dry [9] and that the World Cup would have a useful purpose.

And so the Scots went to the Maracanã Stadium and these group of players could proudly say they played in the three most famous football venues in the World. Despite going in as underdogs, the Scots would silence the home crowd when Billy Liddell scored Scotland into the lead and showed everyone that this Brazil team could crack under pressure in which one team would show [10], They were to later face the wrath of this host to destroy them 4-1 and dump the Scots out of the World Cup. All in all, not really a bad performance for them considering this was their first time at a tournament and would learn for the future.

49435174887_aa3b922f55_o.png

Final results of the Quarter and semi final results of the 1950 World Cup
To the Scots' annoyance however, England actually managed to do well by reaching the semi finals despite suffering a lacklustre group stage which included a humiliating loss to the United States [11] and only thankfully squeezed through on goal difference to reach the knockout stage. Who knows what would have happened if the Scots hadn't suggested a runner's up spot? both might've seen a humiliating exit for both. England though would finally find their form in tight game with Sweden winning in the end after they went behind after just six minutes to eventually make a recovery to keep them in the World Cup.

It would be a false dawn for England though as they eventually fell to the eventually winners Uruguay in the semi finals in which England suffered a same fate as that of the Scots which featured a crowd that had a large Uruguay support who had made he journey north to cheer on their team. England though would regain some dignity as they would win the third place game against a demoralised and tired Italy who were weary after a thrilling game with Brazil. All in all, a mix bad of fortunes for the Home Nations.
The Scots would have to wait for England to complete their World Cup for them to share the same flight back home in which they would fly back on the day of the final, leaving a country in mourning after what happened in that game [12]. From then on aboard that flight, both football associations would agree that British football was no longer king in the world and that if it was to truly be masters of the world once again, they would have to adapt with both sides adopted the lightweight kits and shoes that many of their rivals had used [13].

49435174927_42af98838f_o.png

Final results of third place and final of 1950 World Cup

Nearly 60 years after that first showing on the World stage, much of the Home Nations' performance could all be linked back to the 1950 World Cup in which had the not turned up, who knows how different the World of football might've been? Nonetheless when both teams returned home after their South American adventures to a heroes welcome for doing well, even if neither had become World Champions.

One could say that for the next World Cup in four years time closer to home in Switzerland that lessons would be learn and that either England and Scotland would hoping that they could go one step further and try and win the biggest prize in world football. Who knew what the next few decades that follow would bring...

49435174947_028fd8d2fc_o.png

Final results of the Knockout stage of the 1950 World Cup

----------
And here we, the 'canon' start for the TL that covers the 1950 World Cup in one flashback update! I know I've done the 1950 World Cup in a few wee updates on various forums but this hopefully will be the last I'll cover on the matter. Hopefully. So, here are some of the number things to follow...

[1] These happen IRL
[2] This actually was what Brazil wanted.
[3] Something Graham would likely do knowing him...
[4] Results would go the same for England as OTL which means the format matter change more for reputation...
[5] This was planned IOTL had Scotland joined England in Brazil
[6] Scots introduced football to South America as you know! ;)
[7] Likely would've happened...
[8] Same result as per OTL
[9] This wouldn't be known until many years later. Not a surprise considering how cash strap the SFA are today...
[10] We know what happens to Brazil under pressure at home...
[11] Same result as per OTL
[12] We know what happens in that final...
[13] And thus, football in the UK begins to adapt to changes much earlier that OTL

Not bad you've got to say, eh? Anyway I plan to do an update on Brazil '72 next time as one of the 'minor' tournaments which has Scotland in that one which will likely be next, plus a slight retcon for Argentina '78 just to tidy things up. Anyone interested in the Confederations Cup updates later on? I know I've mentioned them in the TL but not really gone into detail with them.

Funny that at this rate it won't be long until Euro 2020 and then...this TL will go into slumber until 2022, maybe 2021 for the Confederations Cup then...Anyway, see you then!

Last edited:
Flashback - 1972 Brazil Independence Cup
681px-Brasil-TII.svg.png

In 1972 to celebrate Brazil's 150th anniversary the declaration of Brazil becoming an independent nation, it was decided that the country would host a football tournament with eight teams taking part with one of them being one of the oldest football nations and some would argue the source of where Brazilian football could find it's origins, Scotland. 1972 itself had been quite the year for Scottish football with Rangers having won their second Cup Winners Cup victory and the national team was undergoing a state of flux with most of that great team of the 1970 World Cup slowly giving way to newer talent that was hungry to make an impact with qualification for he 1974 World Cup looming on the horizon.

It had been 22 years since the last time the Scots had played in Brazil and even though their first time at a World Cup had been just a mere footnote to start of with, the Scotland team was willing to try and upset the odds with victory over Yugoslavia to start of with in the humid hot evening before then failing to get the better of a stubborn Czechoslovakian side in which ended in a 0-0 draw. Then the main event would be a glamour match with Brazil in which the winner would get to a final; despite their best efforts, Scotland couldn't stand the hosts and fell in a tight 1-0 loss. Nonetheless the Scots would enter into a third place match and the Scottish team wouldn't have to wait long when in West Germany they would get their revenge over Brazil...

The third place game with Argentina would be the game of the tournament with pride at stake with the match being known among Scottish supporters as the Denis Law show in which despite the Scottish forward being past his prime by this point, put on perhaps one of his final great performances by getting a hat trick over the Argentinians to win 3-2 and it would be played in the heat of the legendary Maracana stadium which was backed by a big Brazilian supporting cheering the Scots on to beat their arch rivals and claim a small bragging right for doing better than what most expected.

49434952651_dc9e5f7610_h.jpg

Final results of Group A

49434477963_a1355c4077_h.jpg

Final results of Group B, Third Place Match and Final

Today, the small tournament is looked back on by Scottish supporters as nothing more than a odd curiosity that is often overlooked by it being such a minor tournament. That all being said, it wouldn't be the last time the Scots would play Argentina in a thrilling match and get a third place honour all in Brazil as many will all know...

brazil-10-scotland-1972-brazil-independence-cup-final-stage-group-a-picture-id903298476

Scottish players present a flag of gratitude to the Brazilian fans after their third place victory over Argentina. They would do a similar idea in West Germany...

---------
Just a little update this time round of a tournament that no one I think knows about that Scotland played in. Anyway, I have plans to present an slight retcon of Argentina '78 just to tidy it up for the next update, however if you have any ideas of any minor football tournament feel free to say what I could add to the TL. Until then, see you next time!

Flashback - 1978 FIFA World Cup (RETCON)
Flashback - 1978 FIFA World Cup RETCON

259px-1978_FIFA_World_Cup.svg.png
It is a rather strange feeling when the England and Scotland teams arrive in Argentina for the 1978 World Cup finals as normally the English would be fancying their chances and the Scots would keep their heads down, however thanks to the actions of a certain Ally MacLeod, everything has turned on it's head. After Scotland's controversial win over Wales that helped them qualify thanks to a dodgy handball which only adds more hatred on the Scots from the Welsh. Not only that, the willy Scottish manager had been instrumental in leading the country into a state of euphoric joy in thinking that Scotland would be either World Champions or come home with at least a medal after this tournament.

In contrast, it had been fairly quiet from the England camp which most of the country was left in a state of disbelieve that despite of misfortunes such as England manager Don Revie leaving the previous year and leading to the FA to make the surprise appointment of Brian Clough to get the job as England manager, a move that went down very well with the public considering how much he was the favourite to get the job.

It was known that the FA were very reluctant to appoint him due to his outspoken comments of the English football authorities, however it was rumoured that after the antics of MacLeod which had made him somewhat of a celebrity and his own mind game comments that the FA hadn't the nerve to appoint a strong willed manager who would get them to Argentina and not purely because of Clough's skills as a manager. Despite all this, they would finish on level points with Italy, but thanks to England's 6-0 thrashing of Luxembourg, they just squeezed through on goal difference and Clough would get the last laugh on MacLeod simply saying in a memo to the Scotland manager saying, 'You said what now?'

Despite the transatlantic flight being more widely available for England and Scotland's working class supporters, it was still a hell of a lot of money to get out there and several newspapers would run competitions for fans to get tickets for the games and supporters would have to share hotel and transport throughout this World Cup in which many would later describe the tournament of them all hanging together.

DEiv8xbW0AAqbc8.jpg

England vs Argentina in their final group game in Buenos Aires

England would be placed in Group 1 along with hosts Argentina, France and Hungary and would prove to be something of a mixed bag for England as despite getting victories over the likes of France and Hungary, they would fall to the hosts in which England finished as runners up and it would be a rather infamous game for off the field antics in which the mostly Argentine crowd proved to be quite venomous to the English players with the display of Falkland Island protest banners and the chants of pirates and animals with the English defeat being seen a revenge for that infamous game in 1966.

Nonetheless despite the result, Clough would be rather confident in his chances that England could go all the way and would later say that the atmosphere in that stadium was by far perhaps the most vicious he's ever been involved with and did try to play down the politics angle saying that they were only here to play football, though sadly it seemed this futile even the fact that they were playing with a South American Junta watching over them.

For the Scots, things were quite interesting to say the least...

49529612281_d44b8be8f1_h.jpg

Final results of England's group at the 1978 World Cup

---------

030678-1978-world-cup-peru-v-scotland-argentina-scotland-striker-joe-bjkfpe.jpg

Scotland's opening match with Peru at the 1978 World Cup
Away from the football field, some would argue that the 1978 World Cup for British audiences would always be best remembered for what could be described as the 'trash talk' between MacLeod and Clough over who would be the more successful, though it was mostly with the Scottish manager who seemed to act more like a showman rather than a manager and this would nearly go wrong for the Scotland manager as the opening match would see the teams tied at half time and might've led to a humiliating defeat some might say. However the Scotland manager would pull out a masterstroke when he would bring on Andy Gray to replace Joe Jordan. A player than despite proving himself to be worthy to play in the Scotland team with how well he had done as Aston Villa, nearly never made it into the team with Joe Harper, a player that MacLeod knew very well from his time at Aberdeen and was only replaced at the last minute when Clough made a comment saying that Scotland's World Cup fortunes rested on that lad and that if he never went, it would all over for Scotland.

It was mind games but in the end, the Scotland manager took the bait and brought Gray out to Argentina. It would proved to be worth it as in that game with Peru, Scotland were awarded a penalty and Don Masson would've taken the penalty but in the end, it was given to Andy Gray and he would prove his worth by scoring to help give Scotland the lead and not long after that, would get a second to put Scotland 3-1 in front and surely got their World Cup campaign up and running. However it nearly went off the rails in the 77th minute when Peru scored and Scotland then defended for their lives as Peru tried to break them down. In the end however, Scotland survived though they hadn't left many impressed by that performance. Worse was to follow after an embarrassing draw with Iran, not helped by trouble in the camp over the now infamous Willie Johnston drug affair.

Then came that game with the Netherlands in which as they say, the rest is history...

_47859628_gemmill_78_512.jpg

That famous goal.
That victory over the Dutch caused a shock in which thanks to a 4-1 victory for Peru over Iran, the former runners up at the last World Cup would suffer a shock early exit on goal difference and would vindicate MacLeod's comments that his side would surely go all the way now as they won the group. Though some critics would say that Scotland were lucky and rather inconsistent, what matter was that Scotland were on their way to the second round and they didn't fear no one...

The next group for Scotland would feature Brazil, Poland and England...what a catch that was to capture the imagination of the UK.

49529612311_28d94cace7_h.jpg

Final results of Scotland's group at the 1978 World Cup

---------

international-friendly-match-at-the-maracana-stadium-in-rio-de-janeiro-EKP71M.jpg

Scotland vs Brazil at the 1978 World Cup
14th June would see both Scotland and England play Brazil and Poland respectably and it would quite a disappointing night for both. MacLeod would boast prior to the game with Brazil that they didn't fear them seeing as they had beaten them four years ago and expected they would win again. However Brazil were up for revenge and they most certainly did as they annihilate Scotland 5-1 in their worst World Cup result in history and MacLeod would never hear the end of it by those making him look like a fool and surely a result that saw Scotland's World Cup hopes crushed.

That said, things weren't going well for England either as they could only draw 0-0 with Poland and being a team that England had always trouble with from the past. Poland even had the chance to win the game in the dying moments had it not been for the crossbar stopping a late winner. Things though change in the second game for both teams as Scotland would suffer a late draw with Poland in a game they were 1-0 up for most part thanks to a Kenny Dalglish goal in the in the 8th minute and Poland's late goal would come in the 88th minute. If only they could've held on for in the other game, the group would be thrown in the air.

After such a lacklustre game with Poland. England had to do better and Clough's England would shock everyone by getting a 1-0 win over the favourites which meant now that if they were to avoid defeat in their final group match with Scotland, they would go through to the final and that would be scary thought for the Scots in which the thought of England getting to the final was bad enough, however getting there as a result of their actions...

pa-389748.jpg

Keegan would score the winner over Brazil
The final group with between England and Scotland was to be the game not to miss as the press built the game up as a winner takes all. Even if Scotland had chance to get to the final, they still could prevent England from getting that and Ally MacLeod would have to bring out the spirit of '77 to stop England getting to the final. Clough was feeling good about his chances saying that they could do it.

With it being such a big game being broadcast live in the UK, both ITV and the BBC would show the game live at the same time meaning that high viewing figures were to be expected for both channels. Incidentally, it would be the first time the two teams had faced off each other on the South American continent and the excitement of this encounter would not be lost on the 1,000 or so English and Scottish fans who had made the daunting journey out to Argentina to witness this big game. The many ways how the group could end up were quite crazy in some ways. England were pretty much certain to go through, even if Brazil won their game with Poland, as long as they avoided defeat. Scotland's chances to reach the final were doomed and thanks to that handicap of the goals they conceded against Brazil had seriously handicapped them with the best case for them was reaching the third place spot if they could score a barrel load of goals in this match. Then there was the dark horse, Poland who despite not being thought of much had the chance to leapfrog everyone if they beat Brazil and Scotland beats England in turn to reach the final. All in all, no one wanted to make a bet on how things could end up.

The following game would be a dramatic classic by all in which despite some thinking England would trample all over Scotland from the moment they got the opening goal in the 20th minute, the Scots would come out fighting and playing to the performance in the same manner of that of how they played the Dutch. News would filter through that Brazil had taken the lead against Poland however England, as things stood, would be in the final. The Scots try all they can to break down England who seemed more than able to hold off the Scottish wave of attacks. Then a commotion can be heard among the mass crowd there in Rosario as right on the end of half time, news comes through from the other game that Poland have drawn with Brazil which makes things all the more tense for as things stood, England were on the verge of the final...

england%2Bscotland%2B3.jpg

Keegan scores the opening goal
As the second half begins, England look rather lazy and don't seem the need to get into this game, it's like they already feel like they are already in the final, don't they know that Scotland will punish them if they play like this? Clough notices this and gives his players an angry yell to concentrate as Scotland start to cause problems for England on their flanks.

Then in the 54th minute, Jordon, while running down the right, volleys a shot to Clemence who rather than save the ball, punches towards the left of the field and right in the ball's descending path, there is Dalglish right on a collision course. It is a classic 'Oh shit!' moment for the Liverpool keeper as he stumbles back to try and make the save, but the Scottish forward makes the advantage of this and fires home the ball past the England keeper and brings Scotland level in the game. The Liverpool star has scored against his Liverpool teammate, an irony not lost on the disappointed England fans watching from behind Rough's goalposts

article-2391752-0021F16700000258-706_634x416.jpg
Dalglish going in for the kill to level the game out
Clough groans in anger as he feared this would happen and he glances over to his Scottish counterparts who are celebrating the moment. More frustration news follows a few minutes later when it is heard in the other game that Brazil, thanks to Roberto Diamante, have scored to put Brazil back in the lead . Still, England were going through as things stood. In the 59th minute, England make a switch in which Greenhoff goes off for Emlyn Hughes in the hopes that Clough can freshen up the team.

2 minutes later, another change is made and this time it is for Scotland with Archie Gemmill going on for Don Masson in the hopes to find another goal and maybe attempt to replicate his wonder goal against the Netherlands. Although England do make a couple of good chances during the second half, the momentum is with the men in dark blue as they are fighting tooth and nail to get the winning goal, they are aware of what's going on in the Brazil game thanks to MacLeod yelling out the result stating that Brazil are now winning 3-1 and pretty much in a good position if England slip up now.

The next eight minutes of the game proves to be quick a tasty affair with tackles coming in from mostly Souness is playing for the shirt and leads the charge on England, yet Scotland just can't seem to break down Clemence and that back line. It is a good game, a damn good game by all accounts, perhaps one of the best England/Scotland games to be seen and is indeed a much more exciting game than that dull affair at Hampden just the previous month and MacLeod yells out to his players to switch their formation slightly...or pretty much, throw the kitchen sink in, show no fear and total ruin England's World Cup hopes. Scotland have now switched to a 4-3-3 shape and make great assistance to each other, Clough looks quite nervously and fears the worse might be fold on his team. Then in the 83rd minute, Gemmill replicates his solo move that he did with the Dutch and both Dave Watson and Phil Neal can't seem to stop him, but rather shoot on target, he back passes towards Joe Jordon who only manages to keep the ball out of play and runs with the ball on the left towards the penalty area.

season-19771978-international-england-v-scotland-scotlands-joe-jordan-bjkdh5.jpg
Jordon barely keeps out the ball
This time he aims up his shot and without any fear, he thumps home the ball into the back of the net and blasts Scotland into a 2-1 lead! At last, the Scots have gotten the goal they wanted and in all fairness, probably deserved and Ally MacLeod looks certain to have masterminded another victory over England and probably one even greater than their Wembley heroics last year. There are now looks of dismay among the England bench with the fact that now with scores being they are now, Brazil were going through to the final.

England now seem to wake up and now it's their turn to throw the kitchen sink at Scotland in order to find an equaliser late on into the game. However, in the 86th minute, Keegan looks certain to score when he get's through a gap in the Scottish defence that leaves the goal open with only Andy Rough there. In fact no, not only is it open, it's gaping. However he panics in the heat of the moment and balloons his shot over the bar and into the dismayed England supporters sitting behind the goal.

With eyes on the game and ears to the radio, both dugouts are tense places with neither really knowing what might happen. To cause more pain for the English, the batteries in the radio for the English team runs out and neither of them have a clue what is happening in the other game with apparently the Poles trying to a goal to get back into the game.
After a mad rush on both sides for another goal, the game is eventually brought to an end and Scotland have signed off from this World Cup with a victory over England, but rather than celebrate, they await to hear the result in the other game which is now into it's last dying moments.

The news has come through, that game has ended 3-1 and with Brazil, England and Scotland all finsihing on 3 points but Brazil top the group thanks to goal difference. The Scots celebrate preventing the English from getting into the final with perhaps the most famous image of the Scotland team in 1978 being one of Ally Macleod doing a little jig of joy of masterminding this marvellous victory to prevent England reaching the final. Even the local Argentine crowd cheer at seeing England getting humbled.

Eventually the two managers go over to shake hands to congratulate each other on a great game. The first time two men finally come face to face during this World Cup. Despite Clough's disappointment of not leading England to the final, he can't help but feel happy for his Scottish counterpart who has gone through hell throughout this World Cup and possibly got something to silence the critics at home.

"Well done...big mouth," Clough speaks to Macleod.

"And well done too...big head," Macleod replies with a grin and the two men have a chuckle to themselves over the joke. Now Clough has to put his disappointment to one side and focus on England's third place group game in three days time agasint Austria. A game in which England beat them 3-0, however that result itself is not what would be remembered as rather what Clough would say after the game...

49529839377_ae61779618_b.jpg

Final results of the second round matches of the 1978 World Cup
In a post match interview, Clough found himself facing the press again for the post match interview, however the mostly Argentina press packet are all wanting to hear his views on the mouth watering final between the hosts and Brazil and seem to ask very few questions about the England game. He is being broadcast lived to the nation in which he knows millions of hyped up Argentina football lovers are listening to his interview either on radio or on TV. It is during this time when asked who he thinks might be the better team by one of the press guys, he replies.

"If I'm being honest with myself," Clough begins and takes time for the translator replay his message to the audience. "I'm going to say it's going to be a tight one but I'm sure that Argentina have it to win this World Cup."

The press gang are stunned and then one member of the press then asks him why he thinks of this and if he is being disrespectful to the hosts. Clough thinks carefully what to say knowing he has to be careful with his words, time to work that silver tongue of his.

"Let me start then with saying how fantastic our hospitality has been since we've got here." There is not the slight bit of irony considering they have received grieve from a number of folks any of their games regarding those islands in the South Atlantic. There is recognition among the local press that the England manager has wisely opted to stay clear of any potential controversy.

"They have," continues Clough, "been friendly and have done so much for much of the team to enjoy their stay here and we will be there for the game tomorrow to watch the game in person." He pauses briefly to allow the translator to relay his words to the press.

"But anyway, about your question regarding thinking I'm not giving the host nation a chance at the World Cup. I know Brazil and Argentina are heated rivals like us with the Scots, but think about this...would a victory for Brazil tomorrow be a victory for Argentina too? Less of an insult than a blessing? I have no doubt that we'll see Argentina win more World Cups soon. They have a damn good team after all."

There are looks of confusion from the Argentine press packet as Clough pauses before carrying on. "I do have the best interest of the Argentine people in my heart and let's be honest here, some certain individuals would use an Argentina victory for their own ends, wouldn't they? I think you know whom I'm meaning. Losing this World Cup might be actually good for Argentina as a whole."

He now goes in for the kill. "I am only lucky to say this as a foreigner being able to speak like this...a time when the average Argentine cannot speak freely. I have seen mothers and fathers in the Plaza de Mayo lamenting the loss of their children, the disappeared ones, and it did strike a chord with me, the coaching staff and the players. I do remember someone saying say football is worth life and death, but honestly...there are more important issues out there than football, and this is coming from a football man like myself for heavens sake. So in conclusion, a victory for Brazil will be a victory for Argentina, as much as that might be hard to stomach."

After a dumbfounded translator finishes translating his words, the Argentina journalists are in utter astonishment by his words, mostly that this thrilling speech is being heard live to millions of Argentinians who are all in state of frenzy the day before the final. Towards the end of that speech, the transmission was cut off quickly but it's too late, Clough's words have already been heard by many across the country. The tension following that would play a part in the final in which what would follow as one of the most dramatic World Cup finals ever...

49529612256_41d0f3f8e2_h.jpg

Final results of the third place and final match of the 1978 World Cup
On the day of the final, there is a growing sense of anticipation and most local newspapers in Buenos Aires and across the country are all speaking nothing but the final and have, not surprisingly, not included Clough's words. Yet despite this, there is a lingering suspicion in the papers noting why millions was spent on to stage the tournament yet the country suffers from 186% inflation. Indeed, the jumpy junta has been unnerved by the England manager's words and all around the Estadio Monumental that afternoon, there is a surprisingly large military present around the area and this isn't including the fact that it is a high tension final with their arch rivals Brazil. At one point as many of expected Argentine fans enter the ground, many of them are turned back in grave disappointment when it's found out that their tickets for the final have proven to be fake.

The hugely disappointed, angry and frustrated supporters mill around the outside of the stadium just minutes from kick off. When Colonel Rozas' men attempt to move them away from the stadium - the only place where these supporters want to be of all days, the fans with a volatile combination of pent up excitement and anger is let out and they resist the troops and several unfortunate Brazilian fans get caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Tear gas is fired into the crowd by the nervy military, placed on high alert by a junta now facing dissent in the wake of Brian Clough's politically inflammatory radio broadcast. When the crowd are attacked with the tear gas, it only adds fuel to the fire as the crowd have no intention of leaving and protest loudly to this. Then in a shocking turn of events, some of the troops open fire and three supporters, a family of three being a mother, father and their 14 year old son, topple to the ground and, though their lifeless bodies are shovelled swiftly away by the military forces. Fury sweeps through the thousands of fans making their way through the turnstiles, supporters whose emotions are now shredded by the anticipation of a great showpiece event and has been replace by the horror they have just witnessed.

News of the attack quickly spreads around the stadium and although the Argentinian population have gotten use to hearing of these outrages, this moment of causal brutality is one step too far. Pretty soon, the stadium is soon filled with fanatical chants of 'Ar-gen-ti-na! Ar-gen-ti-na!' being repeated prior to kick off in support of the team in matches before hand, is now being directed at the VIP box. But it's not a cry of support, but a violent one which makes Videla and his cronies look even more uncomfortable. The chant remains an expression of nationalism but it is being used to tell Videla that the nation is now united against him and the junta. Videla has never needed an Argentinian victory more than they do now.

soccer-world-cup-argentina-1978-final-argentina-v-holland-g965f2.jpg
The Stadium before the final with Argentina and Brazil

Before leaving the country, the teams of England and Scotland are also there to watch the final, after all, it isn't everyday the two giants of South American football come together to play in a final. Brian Clough sits there looking around at the chanting going on and nearby him, some young Argentinian notice Brian Clough and call out for him; it seems clear that Clough has awakened something in the hearts of the Argentinian population and he does wonder what he has done and what could happen next after this final is over.

When the players do appear onto the pitch, there is a huge amount of ticker tape raining down onto the field and although there is about 2,000 Brazilian fans who have made the daunting journey to Argentina, they are vastly overwhelmed by their Argentine counterparts. Despite this, the Brazil do have an advantage of surprise right from the very start of the match. The normal thing for all footballers the world over to do when kicking off from the centre circle is for one of the two players standing over the ball to play it backward to a midfield player and play the game from then.

However, the cunning Brazilians buck the trend and instead of doing this, Rivellino taps the ball to Reinaldo and instead of knocking the ball backwards, he takes it forward, surprising the two Argentina strikers, whom he duly passes them with ease. After then twisting the ball around Osvaldo Ardiles and then Daniel Passarella before threading the ball forward towards the supporting Rivellino as Daniel Bertoni closes in with a killer tackle. Rivellino moves it wide to Zico who gives it back to Dirceu. The midfield player, on the right side of the field, just outside the Argentinian penalty area, notes the Argentines flooding back toward their own goal and then he dinks a beautiful pass over their heads where Reinaldo sprints forward to meet the ball and headers it in past the hands of Fillol, the Argentinian goalkeeper. With just less than a minute played, Brazil are 1-0 up in the final.

It is only the help of Fillol that keeps the score the way it as Brazil prove to be utter ruthless trying to add to their lead, Argentina are utterly rattle and so are members of the junta watching from the VIP box. The first half is nothing sort of painful for the hosts as they struggle to find a way back into the game but to their credit as the first half goes along, the hosts get into the game and do get a couple of chances to find the equaliser. Then with just exactly 10 minutes of the first half still remaining, Kempes takes matters into his own hands as he rushes with the ball past many Brazilian defenders and reaches into the penalty area and many spectators rise to their feet expecting the goal. Then it does arrive. From 10 yards outside the box he lobs it over the Brazilian keeper and the ball neatly falls into the back of the net. The Buenos Aires, who have been growing restless at this point, leap up in celebration and ticker tape rains down onto the pitch from the higher tier of the stadium.

It comes at the right time to end the first half 1-1 and everything still has to be played for. However what would follow next in the second half would be a feeling of how Brazil felt many years ago when the World Cup was in their country...

WC78_16S.JPG

Photo from the final
With each passing minute of the second half with the hosts wasting many chances due to what seems like pressure, the home crowd grows more nervous with each passing minute and in the 68th minute after Brazil and forced off the field in order for an Argentine throw in, Menotti gets to his feet and runs over to the touchline and, in an effort to get his team back on the rails, he yells out to them crying, "There are only 11 of them and 70,000 of us, we can't lose this!"

Try as he might, it now becomes clear that Argentina have, ever since that very early goal by Brazil, they are looking weak and it does become more clear that they are slowly cracking under the weight of pressure that has been placed on the shoulders of the unfortunate players. With the game getting into the 87th minute, it looks like that despite Brazilian pushing and pressing, the final will go into extra time. However the Brazilians have one more trick up their sleeve as they are awarded a corner and there is a mass of bodies in the Argentine box all scrambling to get into the right position for the kick. The corner kick is taking and the ball doesn't get to the head of any player and instead it becomes a mad scramble to get the ball somewhere. Then from in the middle of this madness, Rivellino finds the ball rolling to his feet and with one slightly over powered shot, he fires it upwards into the roof of the net and puts Brazil 2-1 up in the final. Cue many Argentinians covering their eyes in horror at the nightmare about to unfold.

soccer-world-cup-argentina-1978-group-b-brazil-v-argentina-estadio-g8dr8w.jpg
One brave Brazilian fan at the final
The crowd grow more restless again and despite Argentina throwing everything to bring the game into extra time, it is too late, the referee has blown his whistle and in the end, Brazil are world champions for a fourth time, but their victory is greeted with near silence from the stunned crowd who can't make any amount of noise. The Argentinian players on the pitch are still as statues, they are in a state of shock for what has happened while the Brazilian bench gets up and runs onto the field to celebrate their historic victory.

Videla waits to carry out his duty of presenting the World Cup, a matter now uncomfortable for him as he can't use the moment for propaganda purposes. Finally, the large crowd finds it's voice and a great roar of furious, bottled up hatred engulfs the stadium. It is as if, in the vacuum left by defeat, they recognise how empty a regime-backed victory for Argentina would have been. The stadium has become a tinderbox and this is no longer about football, but a turning of the tables on the men who have tried to use the Argentinian's love of football for their own means. One young man, with a blue and white hat, leaps over the wall separating Videla and his men from the crowd and a solider steps in to stop the man.

But rather than shoot him in plain sight, he smashes the butt of his rifle down on the man's face, bloodying the national colours on the man's head. The solder's violence only makes the crowd worse as Videla stands frozen as a dozen more people from the crowd leap forward and, undaunted by a similar fate, rush forward to the VIP box. More and more angry fans descend like a swam of wasps onto the box and Videla and his men have no choice but make a hasty retreat down the corridor behind them. But it is unlikely he'll get far at all.

On the pitch, thousands of supporters invade the field and security probably wisely withhold their batons and the Brazilian players have retreated to the tunnel fearing what might unfold for them. Nearby where the the visiting teams are sitting, they and perhaps everyone all over the world watching live on TV are witnessing the madness in action, and nearby Clough, the supporters who noticed the England manager earlier motion him to come with him. Clough stands up by his number two, Peter Taylor holds him back but he assures him saying, "Don't worry, I've got this."

Before anyone knows it, Clough is carried onto the shoulders of several Argentina supporters and is giving a lap of honour round the stadium and receives a standing ovation from the many thousands still up on the terraces as a thank you to him. After this unexpected honour, Clough makes a beeline over towards Menotti, who has the look of a man who resignation on his face. Clough then raises the Argentina manager's arm into the air and he himself is carried onto the shoulders of his players and the crowd give him an equally warm reception. Not bad for a man from Middlesbrough.

To the credit of the Brazilians, they haven't rubbed their rivals noises in and instead have taken a spectators view of the events taking place. However there is still the duty of awarded the winners the World Cup and with Videla being, for lack of a better pharse, somewhat out of action, Clough races down the players' tunnel and returns with the World Cup in his hands, indeed it's probably the only time he'll ever get his hands on the famous cup. Then in one of the great iconic images of the World Cup shows Brian Clough presenting the Brazil captain, Rivellino, with the World Cup. Clough would be later known as the man from Teesside who help overthrow a South American dictatorship.

2d7c301d222972b3d6ceec5dd9d95bbf.jpg
Ally1.jpg

The two colourful managers of England and Scotland who made 1978 quite a eventful time in British football

On the return back from Argentina, Brian Clough and Ally MacLeod would suffer mixed fates with Clough ending his time with the England team in 1980 after helping them win Euro 1980 after finding his relationship with the FA more stressful. MacLeod would have quite the unfortunate ending with the National Side in which despite signing on to guide Scotland to Euro 1980, who would end up spending more time on television basking in the moment of his great run at the World Cup rather than train with the players. His media events, showmanship qualities and meeting many famous people would come to bite him hard and following a disastrous qualification experience for Euro 1980, he would be sacked. Such a hopeful career ending on such a sour note.

For the people of Argentina, the demons of 1978 would though be vanquished as that defeat would spur Argentina to dominate the next two World Cups winning in 1982 and '86 and would get the ultimate revenge in 2014 when they would win their third title in Rio in their arch rivals backyard and from then on, the team of 1978 would be vindicated. Maybe things happen for a reason?

For England and Scotland...we all know what happens next...

---------
Here we are, slight tweaks to WC '78 with the results here and there but mostly the same. Anyway, as I wrote this, I did hear of quite a crazy story about Brian Clough in which when he didn't get the England job, he apparently tried to get the Scotland job in 1977! Yeah, sounds crazy but did make me think of a TL I could explore separate to this and would anyone be interested in seeing that? Brian's Tartan Army doesn't feel quite right...

Anyway next update...don't know, until then, catch you later!

(OFF TOPIC) British League Honours Recap to 2019/20
English Premier League Champions from 1985 to Current Year

1985 - Everton
1986 - Liverpool
1987 - Everton
1988 - Liverpool
1989 - Arsenal
1990 - Liverpool
1991 - Arsenal
1992 - Leeds United
1993 - Manchester United
1994 - Manchester United
1995 - Blackburn Rovers
1996 - Newcastle United
1997 - Manchester United
1998 - Arsenal
1999 - Manchester United
2000 - Manchester United
2001 - Arsenal
2002 - Liverpool
2003 - Manchester United
2004 - Arsenal
2005 - Chelsea
2006 - Chelsea
2007 - Manchester United
2008 - Leeds United
2009 - Manchester United
2010 - Chelsea
2011 - Manchester United
2012 - Manchester City
2013 - Manchester United
2014 - Liverpool
2015 - Chelsea
2016 - Leicester City

2017 - Tottenham Hotspurs
2018 - Manchester City
2019 - Manchester City

FA Cup Winners from 1997 to Current day

1997 - Chelsea 2 - 0 Middlesbrough
1998 - Newcastle United 2 - 2 Arsenal (Newcastle United win 4-3 on Pens.)
1999 - Manchester United 2 - 0 Newcastle
2000 - Chelsea 1 - 0 Aston Villa
2001 - Liverpool 2 - 1 Arsenal
2002 - Arsenal 1 - 1 Leeds United (Arsenal win 3-1 on Pens.)
2003 - Arsenal 1 - 0 Southampton
2004 - Manchester United 1 - 0 Millwall (A.E.T)
2005 - Leeds United 0 - 0 Arsenal (Leeds United win 5-4 on Pens.)
2006 - Liverpool 3 - 2 Middlesbrough
2007 - Chelsea 1 - 0 Manchester United (A.E.T)
2008- Portsmouth 1 - 0 Middlesbrough
2009 - Everton 2 - 2 Chelsea (Everton win 4-2 on Pens.)
2010 - Chelsea 1 - 0 Tottenham Hotspur
2011 - Manchester City 1 - 0 Stoke City
2012 - Chelsea 2 - 1 Liverpool
2013 - Wigan Athletic 1 - 0 Manchester City
2014 - Arsenal 3 - 2 Hull City (A.E.T)
2015 - Leeds United 3 - 0 Aston Villa
2016 - Crystal Palace 1 - 0 Newcastle United (A.E.T)
2017 - Arsenal 2 - 1 Chelsea
2018 - Southampton 1 - 0 Manchester United
2019 - Watford 2 - 0 Brighton & Hove Albion

League Cup Winners from 1997 to Current Day

1997 - Leicester City 1 - 0 Middlesbrough (After Replay)
1998 - Chelsea 2 - 0 Middlesbrough
1999 - Tottenham Hotspurs 1 - 0 Leicester City
2000 - Leicester City 2 - 1 Tranmere Rovers
2001 - Liverpool 1 - 0 Birmingham City
2002 - Blackburn Rovers 2 - 1 Newcastle United (a.e.t)
2003 - Liverpool 2 - 0 Manchester United
2004 - Middlesbrough 2 - 1 Bolton Wanderers
2005 - Liverpool 1 - 0 Chelsea
2006 - Manchester United 3 - 2 Doncaster Rovers
2007 - Chelsea 2 - 1 Arsenal
2008- Tottenham Hotspur 2 - 1 Chelsea (a.e.t)
2009 - Tottenham Hotspurs 1 - 0 Manchester United (a.e.t)
2010 - Manchester United 2 - 1 Aston Villa
2011 - Birmingham City 2 - 1 Newcastle United
2012 - Liverpool 2 - 0 Crystal Palace
2013 - Middlesbrough 3 - 0 Bradford City
2014 - Newcastle United 2 - 1 Sunderland
2015 - Chelsea 3 - 0 Sheffield United
2016 - Manchester City 2 - 1 Stoke City
2017 - Manchester United 3 - 2 Southampton
2018 - Leeds United 1 - 0 Chelsea (A.E.T)

2019 - Chelsea 2 - 1 Leicester City

Scottish Premiership Winners from 1970 to Current day

1970 - Celtic
1971 - Aberdeen
1972 - Hibernian
1973 - Celtic
1974 - Celtic
1975 - Rangers
1976 - Rangers
1977 - Celtic
1978 - Rangers
1979 - Celtic
1980 - Aberdeen
1981 - Celtic
1982 - Celtic
1983 - Dundee United
1984 - Aberdeen
- Hearts
- Rangers
- Dundee United
- Celtic
- Rangers
- Rangers
- Aberdeen
- Rangers
- Rangers
- Aberdeen
- Rangers
- Celtic
1997 - Rangers
1998 - Celtic
1999 - Rangers
2000 - Hearts
2001 - Hibs
2002 - Celtic
2003 - Hearts
2004 - Celtic
2005 - Rangers
2006 - Hearts
2007 - Celtic
2008 - Celtic
2009 - Rangers
2010 - Rangers
2011 - Rangers
2012 - Celtic
2013 - Dundee United
2014 - Celtic
2015 - Hearts
2016 - Aberdeen
2017 - Celtic
2018 - Celtic
2019 - Rangers

Scottish Cup Winners from 1985 to Current day

1985 - Celtic 2 - 1 Dundee United
1986 - Aberdeen 3 - 0 Hearts
1987 - St Mirren 2 - 0 Dundee
1988 - Dundee United 2 - 2 Hearts (Dundee United win 4-2 on Pens.)
1989 - Celtic 1 - 0 Rangers
1990 - Aberdeen 0 - 0 Celtic (Aberdeen win 9-8 on Pens.)
1991 - Motherwell 4 - 3 Dundee United (A.E.T)
1992 - Rangers 2 - 1 Airdrieonians
1993 - Rangers 2 - 1 Aberdeen
1994 - Dundee United 1 - 0 Rangers
1995 - Hibs 2 - 0 Airdrieonians (A.E.T)
1996 - Rangers 5 - 1 Hearts
1997 - Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Falkirk
1998 - Hearts 2 - 1 Rangers
1999 - Dundee United 2 - 0 Rangers
2000 - Rangers 4 - 0 Aberdeen
2001 - Celtic 3 - 0 Hibs
2002 - Rangers 3 - 2 Celtic
2003 - Dundee 1 - 1 Inverness CT (Dundee win 3-2 on Pens.)
2004 - Dunfermline 3 - 2 Raith Rovers (A.E.T)
2005 - Dundee United 2 - 1 Hearts
2006 - Hearts 1 - 1 Gretna (Hearts win 4-2 on Pens.)
2007 - Dunfermline Athletic 1 - 0 St Johnstone
2008- St Johnstone 4 - 2 Queen of the South
2009 - Rangers 2 - 0 Falkirk
2010 - Raith Rovers 3 - 0 Ross County
2011 - Motherwell 2 - 1 Celtic (a.e.t)
2012 - Hearts 5 - 1 Hibs
2013 - Raith Rovers 1 - 0 Hibs
2014 - St Johnstone 2 - 0 Dundee United
2015 - Inverness CT 2 - 1 Falkirk
2016 - Hibs 3 - 2 Rangers

2017 - Aberdeen 2 - 1 St Mirren
2018 - Celtic 2 - 0 Motherwell
2019 - Hearts 2 - 1 Celtic (A.E.T)

Scottish League Cup Winners from 1985 to Current Day

1985 - Dundee United 1 - 1 Rangers (Dundee United win 5-4 on Pens.)
1986 - Aberdeen 3 - 0 Hibs
1987 - Rangers 2 - 1 Celtic
1988 - Rangers 3 - 3 Aberdeen (Rangers win 5-3 on Pens.)
1989 - Dundee 3 - 2 Aberdeen
1990 - Aberdeen 2 - 1 Rangers (A.E.T)
1991 - Rangers 2 - 1 Celtic (A.E.T)
1992 - Hibs 2 - 0 Dunfermline Athletic
1993 - Rangers 2 - 1 Aberdeen (A.E.T)
1994 - Raith Rovers 2 - 2 Celtic (Raith Rovers win 6-5 on Pens.)
1995 - Aberdeen 2 - 0 Dundee
1996 - Hearts 5 - 4 Rangers (A.E.T)
1997 - Celtic 3 - 1 Dundee United
1998 - Rangers 2 - 0 St Johnstone
1999/00 - Aberdeen 2 - 1 Kilmarnock
2000/01 - Celtic 3 - 0 Kilmarnock
2001/02 - Rangers 4 - 0 Ayr United
2003/04 - Hearts 2 - 0 Partick Thistle
2004/05 - Livingston 2 - 0 Hibs
2005/06 - Rangers 5 - 1 Motherwell
2006/07 - Motherwell 3 - 1 Raith Rovers
2007/08 - Hibs 5 - 1 Kilmarnock
2008/09 - Rangers 2 - 2 Dundee United (Rangers win 3-2 on Pens.)
2009/10 - Dundee United 2 - 1 Rangers
2010/11 - Rangers 1 - 0 St Mirren
2011/12 - Rangers 2 - 1 Celtic (a.e.t)
2012/13 - Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Celtic
2013/14 - St Mirren 3 - 2 Hearts
2014/15 - Aberdeen 0 - 0 Inverness CT (Aberdeen win 4-2 on Pens.)
2015/16 - Dundee United 2 - 1 Dunfermline Athletic
2016/17 - Ross County 2 - 1 Hibs
2017/18 - Rangers 2 - 0 Aberdeen
2018/19 - Aberdeen 1 - 0 Celtic (A.E.T)
2019/20 - Celtic 1 - 0 Rangers

Welsh league winners from 1985 to 2019

1985 - Swansea City
1986 - Swansea City
1987 - Cardiff City
1988 - Wrexham AFC
1989 - Cardiff City
1990 - Swansea City
1991 - Cardiff City
1992 - Newport County
1993 - Swansea City
1994 - Wrexham AFC
1995 - Cardiff City
1996 - Swansea City
1997- Wrexham AFC
1998 - Swansea City
1999 - Newport County
2000 - Cardiff City
2001 - Cardiff City
2002 - Swansea City
2003 - Cardiff City
2004 - Merthyr Tydfil
2005 - Newport County
2006 - Wrexham AFC
2007 - Cardiff City
2008 - Llanelli
2009 - Swansea City
2010 - Cardiff City
2011 - Bangor City
2012 - Wrexham AFC
2013 - Swansea City
2014 - Cardiff City
2015 - Cardiff City
2016 - Aberystwyth Town
2017 - Swansea City

2018 - Cardiff City
2019 - Cardiff City

Welsh Cup winners from 1985 to Current year

1985 - Bangor City 2 - 1 Cardiff City
1986 - Wrexham AFC 1 - 1 Swansea City (Wrexham win 3-2 on Pens.)
1987 - Merthyr Tydfil 3 - 2 Newport County
1988 - Cardiff City 2 - 0 Wrexham AFC
1989 - Swansea City 5 - 1 Barry Town
1990 - Barry Town 2 - 1 Wrexham AFC (A.E.T)
1991 - Swansea City 2 - 0 Wrexham AFC
1992 - Cardiff City 1 - 1 Swansea City (Cardiff win 4-2 on Pens.)
1993 - Cardiff City 5 - 0 Rhyl
1994 - Wrexham AFC 2 - 1 Cardiff City
1995 - Wrexham AFC 3 - 2 Barry Town (A.E.T)
1996 - Newport County 3 - 3 Bangor City (Newport win 4-3 on pens.)
1997 - Barry Town 2 - 1 Cwmbrân Town
1998 - Bangor City 1 - 0 Cardiff City (A.E.T)
1999 - Swansea City 4 - 3 Cardiff City (A.E.T)
2000 - Wrexham AFC 3 - 0 Barry Town
2001 - Cardiff City 2 - 1 Bangor City
2002 - Merthyr Tydfil 3 - 1 Wrexham AFC
2003 - Barry Town 4 - 0 Newtown
2004 - Swansea City 1 - 0 Cardiff City
2005 - Newport County 2 - 0 Wrexham AFC
2006 - Carmarthen Town 1 - 1 Rhyl (Carmarthen win 3-1 on Pens.)
2007 - Wrexham AFC 4 - 0 Rhyl
2008 - Bangor City 4 - 2 Llanelli
2009 - Swansea City 2 - 0 Aberystwyth Town
2010 - Swansea City 1 - 0 Barry Town
2011 - Bangor City 2 - 1 Wrexham AFC
2012 - Cardiff City 2 - 2 Swansea City (Cardiff City win 3-1 on Pens.)
2013 - Barry Town 3 - 2 Aberystwyth Town
2014 - Aberystwyth Town 1 - 0 Newport County (A.E.T)
2015 - Newport County 3 - 0 Rhyl
2016 - Swansea City 4 - 1 Llanelli
2017 - Barry Town 2 - 0 Wrexham AFC
2018 - Cardiff City 3 - 0 Connah's Quay Nomads
2019 - Swansea City 3 - 1 Newport County

Welsh league cup winners from 1985 to Current year

1985 - Swansea City 2 - 1 Cardiff City
1986 - Wrexham AFC 3 - 1 Bangor City
1987 - Cardiff City 4 - 2 Wrexham AFC (A.E.T)
1988 - Newport County 1 - 0 Barry Town
1989 - Swansea City 5 - 0 Cwmbrân Town
1990 - Barry Town 2 - 0 Llanelli
1991 - Cardiff City 3 - 2 Newport County
1992 - Bangor City 0 - 0 Barry Town (Bangor win 3-2 on Pens.)
1993 - Wrexham AFC 4 - 3 Merthyr Tydfil (A.E.T)
1994 - Cardiff City 1 - 0 Swansea City
1995 - Merthyr Tydfil 2 - 2 Wrexham AFC (Merthyr win 6-5 on Pens.)
1996 - Llanelli 3 - 1 Newport County
1997 - Cardiff City 2 - 1 Llanelli
1998 - Connah's Quay Nomads 1 - 0 Barry Town (A.E.T)
1999 - Swansea City 4 - 0 Merthyr Tydfil
2000 - Newport County 3 - 2 Wrexham AFC
2001 - Cardiff City 2 - 1 Rhyl
2002 - Wrexham AFC 4 - 1 Barry Town
2003 - Swansea City 1 - 1 Merthyr Tydfil (Swansea win 4-2 on Pens.)
2004 - Newtown 1 - 0 Barry Town (A.E.T)
2005 - Wrexham AFC 2 - 0 Cardiff City
2006 - Llanelli 1 - 0 Swansea City (A.E.T)
2007 - Rhyl 2 - 0 Barry Town
2008 - Wrexham AFC 3 - 1 Cardiff City
2009 - Cardiff City 3 - 3 Newport County (Cardiff City win 4-3 on Pens.)
2010 - Llanelli 3 - 1 Swansea City (A.E.T)
2011 - Wrexham AFC 1 - 0 Newport County
2012 - Cardiff City 2 - 1 Wrexham AFC
2013 - Swansea City 5 - 1 Carmarthen Town
2014 - Bangor City 2 - 0 Rhyl
2015 - Swansea City 2 - 0 Cardiff City
2016 - Wrexham AFC 3 - 0 Newtown
2017 - Bangor City 1 - 0 Barry Town (A.E.T)
2018 - Cardiff City 3 - 0 Newport County
2019 - Newtown 2 - 1 Rhyl

European Cup/Champions League Final results from 1963 to 2019

1963 - Dundee 1 - 0 Benfica
1964 - Inter Milan 3 - 1 Real Madrid
1965 - Inter Milan 1 - 0 Benfica
1966 - Real Madrid 2 - 1 Partizan
1967 - Celtic 2 - 1 Inter Milan
1968 - Manchester United 4 - 1 Benfica (A.E.T)
1969 - AC Milan 4 - 1 Ajax
1970 - Celtic 1 - 0 Feynoord
1971 - Ajax 3 -0 Everton
1972 - Ajax 2 - 0 Inter Milan
1973 - Derby County 3 - 2 Ajax
1974 - Bayern Munich 4 - 0 Atlético Madrid (REPLAY)
1975 - Bayern Munich 2 - 0 Leeds United
1976 - Rangers 2 - 1 Bayern Munich
1977 - Liverpool 3 - 1 Rangers
1978 - Liverpool 1 - 0 Club Brugge
1979 - Nottingham Forrest 1 - 0 Malmo
1980 - Nottingham Forest 1 - 0 Hamburg
1981 - Liverpool 1 - 0 Real Madrid
1982 - Aston Villa 1 - 0 Bayern Munich
1983 - Hamburg 1 - 0 Juventus
1984 - Liverpool 2 - 2 Dundee United (Liverpool win 4 - 3 on Pens.)
1985 - Juventus 1 - 0 Liverpool
1986 - Steaua București 0 - 0 Barcelona (Steaua win 2 - 0 on Pens.)
1987 - Porto 2 - 1 Bayern Munich
1988 - Dundee United 1 - 0 Benfica (A.E.T)
1989 - AC Milan 4 - 0 Steaua București
1990 - AC Milan 1 - 0 Benfica
1991 - Red Star Belgrade 0 - 0 Marseille (Red Star win 5 - 3 on Pens.)
1992 - Barcelona 1 - 0 Stampdoria
1993 - Rangers 2 - 1 AC Milan
1994 - AC Milan 4 - 0 Barcelona
1995 - Ajax 4 - 1 Aberdeen
1996 - Juventus 3 - 0 Rangers
1997 - Borussia Dortmund 3 - 1 Juventus
1998 - Real Madrid 1 - 0 Juventus
1999 - Manchester United 2 - 1 Bayern Munich
2000 - Real Madrid 3 - 0 Valencia
2001 - Leeds United 2 - 1 Bayern Munich
2002 - Real Madrid 2 - 1 Bayer Leverkusen
2003 - AC Milan 0 - 0 Juventus (AC Milan win 3-2 on Pens.)
2004 - Porto 3 - 0 Monaco
2005 - Liverpool 3 - 3 AC Milan (Liverpool win 3-2 on Pens.)
2006 - Barcelona 2 - 1 Arsenal
2007 - AC Milan 2 - 1 Liverpool
2008 - Manchester United 1 - 1 Chelsea (Manchester United win 6-5 on Pens.)
2009 - Barcelona 2 - 0 Manchester United
2010 - Inter Milan 2 - 0 Bayern Munich
2011 - Barcelona 4 - 0 Rangers
2012 - Chelsea 1 - 1 Bayern Munich (Chelsea win 4-3 on Pens.)
2013 - Bayern Munich 2 - 1 Borussia Dortmund
2014 - Real Madrid 4 - 1 Atlético Madrid (a.e.t)
2015 - Barcelona 3 - 1 Juventus
2016 - Atlético Madrid 2 - 1 Manchester City
2017 - Real Madrid 4 - 1 Juventus
2018 - Real Madrid 3 - 1 Liverpool
2019 - Liverpool 2 - 0 Tottenham Hotspurs

Cup Winners Cup Final results from 1979 to 1999

1967 - Rangers 1 - 0 Bayern Munich
1968 - AC Milan 2 - 0 Hamburg
1969 - Slovan Bratislava 3 - 2 Barcelona
1970 - Manchester City 2 -1 Górnik Zabrze
1971 - Chelsea 3 - 1 Cardiff City
1972 - Rangers 3 - 2 Dynamo Moscow
1973 - AC Milan 1 - 0 Leeds United
1974 - AC Milan 2 - 0 Sunderland
1975 - Dynamo Kyiv 3 - 0 Ferencvárosi TC
1976 - West Ham United 3 - 1 Wrexham AFC
1977 - Hamburg 2 - 0 Anderlecht
1978 - Anderlecht 4 - 0 Austria Wien
1979 - Barcelona 4 - 3 Fortuna Düsseldorf (A.E.T)
1980 - Valencia 0 - 0 Arsenal (Valencia win 5 - 4 on Pens.)
1981 - Dinamo Tbilisi 2 - 1 Newport County (A.E.T)
1982 - Barcelona 2 - 1 Standard Liège
1983 - Aberdeen 2 - 1 Real Madrid (A.E.T)
1984 - Juventus 3 - 2 Rangers
1985 - Everton 3 - 1 Rapid Wien
1986 - Dynamo Kiev 3 - 0 Atlético Madrid
1987 - Ajax 2 - 1 Aberdeen
1988 - Mechelen 1 - 0 Ajax
1989 - Barcelona 2 - 0 Sampdoria
1990 - Swansea City 1 - 1 Sampdoria (Swansea City win 5 - 4 on Pens.)
1991 - Manchester United 2 - 1 Barcelona
1992 - Werder Bremen 2 - 0 Monaco
1993 - Parma 3 - 1 Royal Antwerp
1994 - Arsenal 1 - 0 Parma
1995 - Dundee United 2 - 1 Arsenal (A.E.T)
1996 - PSG 1 - 0 Wrexham AFC
1997 - Barcelona 1 - 0 PSG
1998 - Chelsea 2 - 0 Kilmarnock
1999 - Hearts 2 - 1 Lazio

UEFA Cup/Europa League Final results from 1972 to 2019

1972 - Tottenham Hotspurs 4 - 2 St Johnstone (On Aggregate)
1973 - Liverpool 3 - 2 Borussia Monchengladbach (On Aggregate)
1974 - Feyenoord 4 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur (On Aggregate)
1975 - Borussia Monchengladbach 5 - 1 Twente (On Aggregate)
1976 - Liverpool 4 - 3 Club Brugge (On Aggregate)
1977 - Juventus 2 - 2 Athletic Bilbao (Juventus won on away goals)
1978 - PSV Eindhoven 3 - 0 SEC Bastia (On Aggregate)
1979 - Hibs 1 - 0 Red Star Belgrade (On Aggregate)
1980 - Eintracht Frankfurt 3–3 Borussia Monchengladbach (Frankfurt won on away goals)
1981 - Ipswich Town 5 - 4 AZ Alkmaar (On Aggregate)
1982 - IFK Göteborg 3 - 0 Hamburg (On Aggregate)
1983 - Anderlecht 2 - 1 Rangers (On Aggregate)
1984 - Tottenham Hotspurs 2 - 2 Anderlecht (Tottenham won 4 - 3 on Pens.)
1985 - Real Madrid 3 - 1 Videoton (On Aggregate)
1986 - Real Madrid 5 - 3 1. FC Köln (On Aggregate)
1987 - Dundee United 3 - 2 IFK Göteborg (On Aggregate)
1988 - Bayer Leverkusen 3 – 3 Español (Bayern won 3 - 2 on Pens.)
1989 - Napoli 5 - 3 Cardiff City (On Aggregate)
1990 - Juventus 3 - 1 Fiorentina (On Aggregate)
1991 - Inter Milan 2 - 1 Roma (On Aggregate)
1992 - Ajax 2 - 2 Torino (Ajax won on away goals)
1993 - Juventus 6 - 1 Hearts (On Aggregate)
1994 - Inter Milan 1 - 1 Celtic (Inter won 3 - 2 on Pens.)
1995 - Parma 2 - 1 Juventus (On Aggregate)
1996 - Raith Rovers 2 - 0 Bordeaux (On Aggregate)
1997 - Raith Rovers 1 - 0 Schalke 04 (On Aggregate)
1998 -Inter Milan 3 - 0 Lazio
1999- Marseille 3 - 2 Rangers
2000- Galatasaray 0 - 0 Arsenal (Galatasaray win 4-1 on Pens.)
2001 - Liverpool 4 - 4 Aberdeen (Liverpool win 3-1 on Pens.)
2002 - Inter Milan 3 - 1 Swansea City
2003 - Celtic 2 - 2 Cardiff City (Celtic win 6-5 on Pens.)
2004 - Valencia 2 - 0 Marseille
2005 - CSKA Moscow 3 – 1 Newcastle United
2006 - Middlesbrough 1 - 1 Sevilla (Middlesbrough win 4-2 on Pens.)
2007 - Hearts 1 - 0 Sevilla
2008 - Rangers 1 - 0 Zenit St Petersburg
2009 - Shakhtar 2 - 1 Werder Bremen
2010 - Liverpool 3 - 0 Fulham
2011 - Braga 2 - 0 Raith Rovers
2012 - Atletico Madrid 3 - 0 Swansea City
2013 - Chelsea 2 - 1 Benfica
2014 - Valencia 2 - 0 Marseille
2015 - Sevilla 3 – 2 Aberdeen (a.e.t)
2016 - Sevilla 3 - 1 Liverpool

2017 - Arsenal 2 - 0 Marseille
2018 - Manchester United 2 - 0 Ajax
2019 - Chelsea 4 - 1 Arsenal

---------
And here is the list of scores on the club scene. Not much to add here other than the fact I hope you enjoyed if your team did well here. Until then, see you next time!

Off Topic - British Top Flight Leagues as of the 2019/20 Season
Off Topic - British Top Flight Leagues as of the 2019/20 Season

ENGLAND
49639859488_1f55c010a0_o.png

SCOTLAND

49642957638_9de8e10a63_o.png

WALES
49640382936_3882a5e63d_o.png

NORTHERN IRELAND
49640719527_fb0f078ea4_o.png

----------

Here's a wee update for you guys just to keep you interested. As I write this I do wonder if we'll get a Euro 2020 update by the time Summer comes round depending if a certain virus keeps on getting worse...

Anyway, hope you are happy seeing your team if they are up in the top flight ITTL...until then, see you next time!

Last edited:
Interesting...with Merthyr in the Welsh League, I wonder who Winchester City would have played in TTL's 2018-19 FA Cup? Probably Melksham.

Interesting...with Merthyr in the Welsh League, I wonder who Winchester City would have played in TTL's 2018-19 FA Cup? Probably Melksham.

Quite a lot of butterflies with no Welsh teams in the English leagues since 1984 ITTL, not to mention that means several teams might've survived from relegation and what have you.