Status
Not open for further replies.
The France update said that the Post Dictatorship consitution "gave most power to the president of the council of ministers, with the president being a mostly ceremonial post"

Yep, I knew that, and I've already had a chance to evoke it to Kanan a little bit about it. If France is a parliamentary republic, the president do not only has a ceremonial position, he also has certain functions. She exactly said:

"The Constitution of France is more similar to the Fifth Republic than the Third(and Fourth) Republics.
2) The President of France retains some power, but not a whole lot (So it wouldn't be a ceremonial position, just a *mostly* ceremonial position), and it is elected in a two-round vote via universal suffrage."

Even during the third and fourth republics in France, which were ridiculously unstable and parliamentary, the president kept these powers

- legislative initiative

- law enactment

- regulation-making authority (for the enforcement of laws)

- army command

- representation of France / negotiation and ratification of treaties.

Of course it is very likely that I am mistaken, but I think this question is still relevant.

2020 Northern Ireland-Ireland unification referendum
C5MRR8I.png

Some wild variations in the polls there. Also a testament to the interest I have for this timeline. I saw the date of the referendum and immediately felt sad about the fact I have to wait a year for the result

I'm wondering how many people are going to vote "no", just because of the costs involved in subsidising the North?

I imagine it would be quite a large amount, as well as those who are against the idea of paying more for a territory that would only just barely want to be part of their country. It will be an interesting referendum for sure.

Some wild variations in the polls there. Also a testament to the interest I have for this timeline. I saw the date of the referendum and immediately felt sad about the fact I have to wait a year for the result

Haha! I'm glad that I can still evoke that emotion! The variations are most likely down to the different polling methods and quite frankly, who they get at the time. Polling in both the RoI and NI is difficult due to the historic tensions and many firms try different weightings and adjustments to their mechanisms.

Given the fact that all of Ulster is part of Northern Ireland, I think it’s more likely than not that the majority will vote yes.

While I cannot possibly speak on election results in the future ;), I can say that Northern Ireland is not all of Ulster. County Cavan was excluded from Northern Ireland, and remains within (Rep of) Ireland.

I've little doubt that unification will win - and little doubt that this will be an utter mess.

Never know! 10 months is some time in the future.

I know it's a really late reply and it's just a minuscule nitpick, but it's kind of weird to see Zyuganov leading in the north and Siberia, given that these regions are traditionally more irreligious than the centre and the south.

Please note that this indicates plurality winners! So while Zyuganov did indeed lead a plurality there, the majority was against him.

i'm more of a northern southern eastern ireland boy myself
Please, we all know the western southern eastern Northern Ireland is where it’s at.

On the subject of Ireland, how well off is the Republic compared to OTL? Was there an equivalent of the Celtic Tiger? And how strong is the Catholic Churches influence on politics? Are we still a conservative little oddball or was there the rapid liberalisation like otl?

Status
Not open for further replies.