Neil Armstrong - alternate moon landing quote

"I have returned!"

Now I'm thinking of Mac being met at Leyte by three wizened Filipino women who greet him with:
"All hail to thee, MacArthur! Hero of Manila!"
"All hail to thee, MacArthur! Hero of Inchon!"
"All hail to thee, MacArthur, that shall be President hereafter!"

One small step for man , one giant leap for mankind - boingggg .

This moon landing has been brought to you by Zebedee pogo sticks giving a better bounce...

There was actually some controversy over whether the astronauts would put an American or UN flag on the moon, which ended with Congress amending a funding bill to forbid NASA from carrying the flag of any foreign nation or international organization aboard government-owned spacecraft. Maybe an enterprising Congressman can add something requiring them to say the Pledge of Allegiance while they're up there.

GreenSword

Banned
" In the name of the United States of America, we declare the frontier re-opened. In the vastness of space, freedom and liberty shall have no end."

Or, since he was from Ohio but went to college at Purdue in Indiana, how about, "Go Boilermakers, all of you Ohio State fans can suck it."

I’m not sure how much Purdue rivals Ohio State, especially if he’s from out in the sticks in Wapakoneta, which is closer to the Indiana State like than it is to Columbus (it’s like 90 minutes from Wapakoneta to Ohio State and I’m not sure if someone that far out there gives a shit about Ohio State.)

Also, my brother went to Purdue, and the only shit they seem to give about Ohio State is “they’re really good so beating them is fucking awesome.” Their real rival is Indiana University, but it would be hard to take a shot at those guys without sounding like he’s taking a shot at the whole state of Indiana (since Hoosier is both the IU mascot and a slang term for an Indiana resident, and it’s also akin to calling the team the Indiana Rednecks but that’s neither here nor there.) He also couldn’t take a shot at Bob Knight, since Knight was still at Army and two years away from the Indiana job.

That’s a lot to say Neil Armstrong would probably not take a shot at a rival university, but hey, I’m kind of a windy asshole.

"Houston we have made first contact with a race calling themselves 'Kerbals'...and they are *really* stupid"

Much as I like the idea, you've got to remember, most of these guys were military, & the handful, like Armstrong, that weren't were so square, you could cut yourself on them.:rolleyes: Even Shepard:eek: (no, not this one:rolleyes: ) wasn't likely to say something really insane.

That said...
"Ground control to Major Tom..."
I like this one. However, shouldn't it be, "Ground Control, this is, uh, Major Tom. I'm on the surface, now, over."?

Of course, there's also, "I'm a rocket man!" (Or hadn't that been written yet?:oops: )
"Well, Monsieur Verne, we made it."
I like it, but that's pretty literate, isn't it? And, of course, it begs, "Well, M. Melies, we made it."

On the OP: Unless something said was overtly political, akin to a claim of Luna for the U.S., I don't see it mattering what the first words are. It would be less historic, maybe, & it might, in retrospect, be seen as less inclusive, but I'm not sure it has enormous ramifications. (Which is to say, a "Major Tom" riff, frex, would appeal to a quite narrow social & economic faction of Earth's total population, which might be seen as shutting out the Latin Americans, Africans, & Indians, among others, who have no f*ing clue who Major Tom is.:rolleyes: )

Last edited:

sprite

Donor
“for the first time in the history of Humanity there is an explorer on the Moon

Apologies Herge