Writing Contest: Main Thread

Would I be in breach of the rules or the spirit of the game by reposting something from my ATL?
It is a law.
And it is more than the original post in that it includes some commentary not included on the original random page.

Would I be in breach of the rules or the spirit of the game by reposting something from my ATL?
It is a law.
And it is more than the original post in that it includes some commentary not included on the original random page.
No problem at all. Looking forward to reading it.

Very impressed by the actual document. How did you create that authentic look?
Thank you for the kind words.
Just a bit of visual trickery, really. For the text, I wrote the translated text first in MS Word, copied it, removed all the [comments in square brackets], put it in a mediaeval-style font (Hentimps Circlet, to be precise - a free download I found) and adjusted the letter and line spacing to make it a bit closer together, as in most real mediaeval documents. I then adjusted the page setup and zoom so that I could take a screenshot of all of it together, then used paint.net to remove the white background from that screenshot, leaving just the text. The parchment background is one I found - if you search for 'old parchment with rough edge' or something like that, you'll find a few, including ones which are free to use, like this one. Similarly with the seals - I found some freeware pictures of old seals and cropped them with paint.net to remove bits which didn't fit with the ATL. I then combined all of them, with a wood texture as background to suggest it was lying on a desk. The original file I have is bigger than the one I posted, but reducing the size not only made it small enough to post here, but also helped to hide some of the joins...;)
If you look closely enough you'll see that the document is exactly the same as the translation apart from the [comments] - since the contest is about the writing, not the picture, I didn't take the time to 'reverse-translate' it into more authentic mediaeval words (and I'm not an expert in that, so it would have been wrong!:eek:).

One day left to submit entries for the first contest. I'm very impressed by the entries so far. I will open the voting thread tomorrow.

Congratulations to @FriendlyGhost on winning our first contest! FriendlyGhost now has the opportunity to start a new contest. They are free to post a new thread for the contest at any time. If FriendlyGhost decides not to choose a topic, or is absent for 3 days, then we will decide as a group what topic to do next. Thanks to everyone who participated!

@Miranda Brawner
The next contest should run for two weeks, closing on Monday 23rd, so just before Xmas, with voting over the next three days. Unfortunately* I'll be on a ferry with no internet on 23-24 Dec, so won't be able to post the poll. Would you prefer (1) the contest to finish earlier (2) the contest to finish later (3) the voting to start later (4) someone else, probably you, set up the poll on the 23rd ?
Sorry for the hassle!

I'll post the contest later tonight, even if you don't reply by then - I can edit the timings later if needed.

*Unfortunately for this contest I mean - otherwise it's a good thing, for seeing the family!

@FriendlyGhost Thanks for letting me know. Glad you get to spend time with family. How about we start the contest today, and have it run through Friday the 20th, so that you'll get a chance to vote before your trip?

The second contest is now open!
Welcome to the second edition of the writing contest. All contest entries must take place within an alternate world, a future world or a fantasy world, and must be written from the point of view of someone within that world. Entries can be in any language (a translation into English is advised, as this is an English-language forum, but not mandatory).
All entries must be turned in by noon GMT on Friday 20th December 2019.

Your task is to write the 'blurb' for a city travel guide.
The 'blurb' can be for any platform: the back cover of a book, the description on a web-site, an introduction in a travel brochure, etc, etc.
The city can be entirely fictional or can be based on an OTL city, but if the latter there must be something AH about it (alternate history, buildings, government, nationality, whatever). Cities from fictional works are allowed, but you must credit the author.
Feel free to decorate your writing with a picture or anything else you like, but this is by no means necessary.

Have fun and good luck!

Still no entries for the second writing contest?
I guess I picked a bad subject. :(

@Miranda Brawner - if there are no entries by the closing date/time of noon GMT tomorrow, I suggest that @SeaBos is invited to come up with a new contest, since he was the runner-up in the first poll. The alternative is to extend the entry deadline, but with Christmas and New Year coming up, I'm not sure that would make much difference.

Still no entries for the second writing contest?
I guess I picked a bad subject. :(

@Miranda Brawner - if there are no entries by the closing date/time of noon GMT tomorrow, I suggest that @SeaBos is invited to come up with a new contest, since he was the runner-up in the first poll. The alternative is to extend the entry deadline, but with Christmas and New Year coming up, I'm not sure that would make much difference.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm sorry I wasn't able to come up with something. We'll see what SeaBos feels like doing.