Quick question, how many children did Leopold have again? Also, Greece is a constitutional monarchy right? Eagerly awaiting the next update!
Leopold has three children; Prince Constantine (b.1834), Prince Alexander (b.1836), and Princess Aikaterini (b.1838). Yes, under the 1831 Constitution the Kingdom of Greece is a Constitutional Monarchy ITTL.

Thank you, I'm glad to hear it! I hope to have the next update posted soon.

1831 Constitution the Kingdom of Greece
What sort of Constitutional Monarchy is it? A Bonapartist style one where a strong sovereign rules supreme in practice like the Emperors of old did, or is it more of British one before their power of the monarchy was liquidated after the Hanoverians? Or does it resemble the Bourbon Restoration type Constitutional Monarchy where the Constitution is derived from the authority of the King? Could a strong King retake power for himself assuming he calls himself Basileus, and rule in the style of Basil II or the Komnenoi? The Empire after all was a Republican monarchy and technically had a Constitution and a Senate that the Emperor was technically answerable to. Would a neo-Roman style government and a successive line of competent Kings theoretically be able to sideline/reduce the Parliament like how the Roman Emperors did with the Senate? Is the Greek national identity more like that of otl connected to ancient Greece, or is it more of a Roman identity connected to their more recent and 1,500 year long history as Romans with the Orthodox Church?

Last edited:
What sort of Constitutional Monarchy is it? A Bonapartist style one where a strong sovereign rules supreme in practice like the Emperors of old did, or is it more of British one before their power of the monarchy was liquidated after the Hanoverians? Or does it resemble the Bourbon Restoration type Constitutional Monarchy where the Constitution is derived from the authority of the King? Could a strong King retake power for himself assuming he calls himself Basileus, and rule in the style of Basil II or the Komnenoi? The Empire after all was a Republican monarchy and technically had a Constitution and a Senate that the Emperor was technically answerable to. Would a neo-Roman style government and a successive line of competent Kings theoretically be able to sideline/reduce the Parliament like how the Roman Emperors did with the Senate? Is the Greek national identity more like that of otl connected to ancient Greece, or is it more of a Roman identity connected to their more recent and 1,500 year long history as Romans with the Orthodox Church?

Assuming he calls himself basileus? It's the Greek word for king, the Greek monarch was called that by default.

I would say that the Greek Monarchy ITTL is relatively strong as the King is both Commander in Chief and Head of State of Greece, under the Constitution of 1831. Moreover, the Sovereign has the power to appoint ministers and advisers to his cabinet and senators to the Hellenic Senate. Leopold also has tremendous influence in both foreign and domestic policy, although this is more likely a result of his own personal charm and charisma rather than any specific legal statute. Ultimately, I would say that it is most comparable to the British Monarchy in the 18th Century, with a relatively potent monarchy, but ultimately subservient to the whims of the Legislature.

I think it's been mentioned before, but I really hope that the ruins of Troy don't get blown up in this timeline. That would be a shame to archaeology and history alike. Also, I hope the Greeks can take Northern Epirus back.

That's 3 times in quick succession I've thought there was an update, only for it to be a nothing comment.
I see irony of me adding another nothing comment.

So, going back to conversation we had on page 93 about more Polish immigrants to the US, especially into Texas, effecting TTL's Civil War, there were apparently talks throughout history, and including after the Civil War, of dividing Texas. It could easily be divided into 2 - 4 states. Perhaps the large, Republican-leaning Polish and German, with some carpetbaggers, population could successfully petition Congress to make such a thing happen. Looking at the map Carp posted, I could easily see the north-eastern portion of Texas being made into its own state that would give the Republicans a boost in the House and Senate.

How viable would something like this happening be?

I apologize for the recent hiatus, it took a little longer than I predicted to get the next part sorted out, but I will have it posted later this week. Also, while I certainly appreciate the support and sentiment behind the thread bumps, there are other more productive means of getting my attention that don't get everyone's hopes up.

An interesting tit-bit that's somewhat relevant to the timeline and I think many of you may enjoy; the last known Palaiologos died in Barbados in 1678
https://www.thenationalherald.com/3...last-byzantine-emperor-in-western-hemisphere/
That's really fascinating. I knew about the Montferrat branch of the Palaiologoi, Demetrios and Thomas Palaiologos, Sophia Palaiologina and her brother Andreas, but I had assumed that was it so I'm really quite surprised by this. After doing a little more digging, I learned that the Greek Government actually sent representatives to Britain in OTL to search for any members of the Palaiologos family, but ultimately they failed.

I think it's been mentioned before, but I really hope that the ruins of Troy don't get blown up in this timeline. That would be a shame to archaeology and history alike. Also, I hope the Greeks can take Northern Epirus back.
The rediscovery of Troy is still a long ways away, but I think I can safely say that what happened in OTL won't be happening here, for various reasons. Northern Epirus will certainly be a point of contention but I hope what I have planned for the region will be both satisfying and believable.

We can only hope that the Megali Idea doesnt fail.
I can I want to see a surviving Ottoman Empire that reforms successfully that can tell Russia to step off successfully.
The heirs of Leopold and Kapodistrias will surely lead Greece to greatness! Hopefully Greece can achieve the Megali Idea(at least partially) and be better off than OTL.
The Megali Idea is already a concept in this timeline, but whether it is successful or not is a matter of debate. Greece ITTL is certainly much stronger, it has more territory to start which means more people and resources, Crete and Chios are particularly important acquisitions for Greece to have early on. Greece also has a more stable political structure compared to its OTL counterpart thanks to a surviving Ioannis Kapodistrias and Leopold of Saxe-Coburg's acceptance of the Greek Crown. Finally, the Greek economy is stronger than OTL thanks to more territory/people/resources, better management of those resources, and an early commitment to industrialization and public development. Despite all these advantages relative to OTL, Greece is still not a match for the Ottoman Empire by itself. Its also important to note that the Ottoman Empire is somewhat stronger compared to OTL as well, namely a slightly earlier Tanzimat reform, a thorough subjugation of the Kurdish and Turkish magnates in Central/Eastern Anatolia and the Albanian and Bosnian magnates in the Balkans. And while the loss of Crete may be a loss for the Ottomans from a glance, it may actually be somewhat of a benefit to them compared to OTL as they don't have to constantly deal with rebellions and unrest on the island.

Greece will definitely punch a lot harder in the inevitable rematch between the two, but the Ottomans are also a bit stronger too. In the end if they were fighting one on one with no outside interference, then the Ottomans would likely win 9/10 times.

So, going back to conversation we had on page 93 about more Polish immigrants to the US, especially into Texas, effecting TTL's Civil War, there were apparently talks throughout history, and including after the Civil War, of dividing Texas. It could easily be divided into 2 - 4 states. Perhaps the large, Republican-leaning Polish and German, with some carpetbaggers, population could successfully petition Congress to make such a thing happen. Looking at the map Carp posted, I could easily see the north-eastern portion of Texas being made into its own state that would give the Republicans a boost in the House and Senate.

How viable would something like this happening be?
Carp is probably better versed on this than I am, but from what I know, the US annexation of Texas left some room for debate over whether or not Texas, or any other state for that matter, could split itself into multiple different states unitarily. Suffice to say, the American Civil War and subsequent ruling in Texas v. White essentially ended this debate. Now regarding the Polish 48ers in America, they will definitely have an impact on the United States as a whole and Texas in particular, but whether or not that results in Texas splitting apart is still to be determined. If there happens to be an American Civil War parallel in this timeline, then its certainly possible that we could see a West Virginia type situation emerge in Texas in TTL.

Carp is probably better versed on this than I am, but from what I know, the US annexation of Texas left some room for debate over whether or not Texas, or any other state for that matter, could split itself into multiple different states unitarily. Suffice to say, the American Civil War and subsequent ruling in Texas v. White essentially ended this debate. Now regarding the Polish 48ers in America, they will definitely have an impact on the United States as a whole and Texas in particular, but whether or not that results in Texas splitting apart is still to be determined. If there happens to be an American Civil War parallel in this timeline, then its certainly possible that we could see a West Virginia type situation emerge in Texas in TTL.

I know from what I have read about attempts in the 1980s for Southern New Jersey to breakaway and form its own state that Congress would have to approve of such a thing. Normally, the state legislature would too, but if this breaking-up-Texas idea was put forward before Texas was readmitted into the Union it might end up being a condition much like ratifying the Fourteenth Amendment was.

I apologize for the recent hiatus, it took a little longer than I predicted to get the next part sorted out, but I will have it posted later this week. Also, while I certainly appreciate the support and sentiment behind the thread bumps, there are other more productive means of getting my attention that don't get everyone's hopes up.
i wonder what relationship greece has with greeks living outside of its territory. in otl talks started between them but they only used greece to make quick a quick investment(after the 1873 recession)only after the balkan wars did they decide to truly invest in greece with the neoturks in the ottoman empire,its desolution and the revolution in russia disrupted their traditional trades .)

Last edited:
i wonder what relationship greece has with greeks living outside of its territory. in otl talks started between them but they only used greece to make quick money(after 1973 recession)only after the balkan wars did they decide to truly invest in greece with the neoturks in the ottoman empire,its desolution,the revolution in russia disrupted their traditional trades .
The Greeks in the diaspora generally have a positive view of the Kingdom of Greece as it has been a peaceful and relatively prosperous country since it gained its independence in 1830. As a result, Greece has been a relatively attractive investment opportunity for many Greek merchants and bankers in the diaspora like the Rodocanachi Family and the Ralli Brothers in the UK, Georgios and Simon Sinas in Austria, and the Romaniote Jews of Thessaloniki and the Zosimades of Ioannina among many others. Greece's economy is also much more diversified and more developed than it was in OTL, making it a safer long term option for investors as well, although they could still make some quick money if they really wanted to.

formion

Banned
The Greeks in the diaspora generally have a positive view of the Kingdom of Greece as it has been a peaceful and relatively prosperous country since it gained its independence in 1830. As a result, Greece has been a relatively attractive investment opportunity for many Greek merchants and bankers in the diaspora like the Rodocanachi Family and the Ralli Brothers in the UK, Georgios and Simon Sinas in Austria, and the Romaniote Jews of Thessaloniki and the Zosimades of Ioannina among many others. Greece's economy is also much more diversified and more developed than it was in OTL, making it a safer long term option for investors as well, although they could still make some quick money if they really wanted to.

This is a big butterfly: If the diaspora is willing to invest in Greece and find it a secure business environment, then there is a substantial source of capital for industrialization.

A great opportunity for both the greek state and the diaspora merchants/shipowners is ship-building. Here is a useful link for the greek shipping in the last quarter of the 19th century. https://www.greekshippingmiracle.org/en/history/1873_.html

In OTL there was no capacity in Greece to build steamships. So, the transition from sail to steam was rather slow and the first generation of greek steamships were british used-ones. The great difference in TTL is the establishment of a greek iron and lignite industry according to the author. If I remember correctly, this new industry utilizes iron ore and coal from Euboea. Moreover, Greece has significant deposits of magnesite that was important in steel industry. Thus, ship-building can be a unique opportunity for the development of the greek steel industry: the demand is substantial and the initial investments/infrastructure have already taken place.

Last edited: