Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

24th December 1962

“Are you going to join us Lothar?” Mithras heard his mother say. A reminder about the day to day realities that he faced.

That could fit, considering that he was born in 1940 and still living at home.

Just seems odd that a 22 year old is the bad guy here....granted it can happen, but it just seems odd.

could even be this guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothar_Ahrendt

"reform minded"

That could fit, considering that he was born in 1940 and still living at home.

Just seems odd that a 22 year old is the bad guy here....granted it can happen, but it just seems odd.

could even be this guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothar_Ahrendt

"reform minded"

Check the musical instrument on the first ones wiki page, the most recent update, and that it is the same one Kiki plays.

If it ain't him, then PM deserves an award for the best red herring.

Check the musical instrument on the first ones wiki page, the most recent update, and that it is the same one Kiki plays.

If it ain't him, then PM deserves an award for the best red herring.

Huh!

Well, can't read everything on the first readthrough unless you are really looking I suppose.

Part 97, Chapter 1529
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Twenty-Nine

30th December 1962

Hohenzollern Castle

Walking along one of the retaining walls, Kiki was troubled as she thrust her hands into the pockets of her parka and the hood enclosing her head. She felt trapped here and had just wanted to get out and get some air. Her breath was smoking in the cold and snow was falling. She had been given a crash course in the history of this castle and the land that surrounded it. There were also the secrets of the castle itself. The crypts and tunnels that ran deep underneath the castle. While it was not a hereditary title, her status as Princess of Hohenzollern was something that could never be taken away from her no matter what she did with the rest of her life.

When the preliminary report on the Berlin East Railway Station had come out that last part had become increasingly important. While she had only been mentioned in a few paragraphs in a report that had run on for almost two thousand pages, what it had said had been stinging. It described her conduct as laudable but reckless, chastising her for ignoring her own injuries. She had run ahead of the people who had been tasked with protecting her, endangering herself and them in the process. It echoed Berg’s comment how Kiki needed to find a way to give her life meaning that didn’t involve getting herself killed. Out of context, Berg’s words sounded terrible. Kiki had seen the truth though; Berg had been scared by what had happened. This had not been Kiki neglecting her health again, she had been hit by a bullet and that had taken things to a different level.

“Everything you see belongs to you” Kiki heard Ben say, “Except for Stuttgart, we don’t talk about Stuttgart.”

Kiki looked over the wall. Stuttgart sixty kilometers to the north and part of that city were visible on a clear day. Today, with visibility was only a few hundred meters at most so that wasn’t an issue. What Ben had said was nowhere near the truth either.

“Sorry you walked into the middle of all this” Kiki mumbled. All this family drama had certainly been more than she had expected.

“Spending a holiday in a drafty old castle in middle of nowhere, sharing a suite of rooms with my girlfriend’s brothers who are all bigger than I am as they ask probing questions about my intentions. Then I learn that the castle apparently belongs to my girlfriend.” Ben said, “What else could I ask for?”

Kiki gave an exasperated sigh, “They aren’t giving you too hard a time, are they?” She asked.

“No” Ben said, “They have a lot of questions about me being a pilot and how serious I am about you. Is Whippet really your nickname?”

“Freddy has thought that was funny since we were children” Kiki replied, “I never have.”

“I see” Ben said, “As of a few days ago, he is your guest. You can have him thrown out if you want.”

“As strongly tempted as I am to do that, I’ll still need to live him in the future and I like Suga, who would probably leave as well” Kiki said, “I’m going to have enough trouble in the coming year without that.”

“How much trouble could someone like you possibly be in?” Ben asked.

“I’m probably going to get thrown out of the FSR and things at University are a complete mess” Kiki said, “It seems like I’ve been doing everything wrong.”

“I think you are intent on feeling sorry for yourself” Ben said, “You could get most of that straightened out with a phone call or two and I don’t think you leaving the FSR would be an entirely bad thing. Being in it seems to have brought out the worst in you.”

It seemed like everyone had been able to see that clearly except Kiki herself. It wasn’t a comfortable feeling to have and it didn’t change anything about how she no longer felt like she had a clear way forward. She still had a commitment to the FSR.

“Everything is a mess then and it will stay that way” Kiki said glumly.

“No” Ben replied, “You are one of the few people I know who cannot fail. It isn’t because of your family, that is a millstone around your neck. Instead, it is entirely because of who you are.”

At least Ben tried to understand who she really was as opposed to the image that people had of her as a bloodless intellectual who also happened to have never aged past the age of twelve. Kiki stared down the mountainside towards the invisible villages that she knew were in the valleys below. The people who lived down there had their own lives that Kiki was going to play a role in even if it was largely symbolic. What would they have to say about her? The girl who preferred to live in a small boat on the rivers when she had the option of castles. She felt Ben hug her from the side, he pushed back the hood of her parka and leaned in…

They were interrupted by being inundated with snow being dumped over their heads. Her glasses lost and cheeks stinging, Kiki looked and saw Freddy with a snow shovel that he had found somewhere.

“Wouldn’t want you getting too cozy with your guest Whippet” Freddy said with a wide smile, “People might talk.”

Ben found Kiki’s glasses and handed them to her, she really did need to talk to her father the next chance she had about having Freddy removed from the property. Whether or not he would be ambulatory was up for debate after what he had just done.

Last edited:
I suspect that Ben will remind Kiki of one of the most popular traditions of the Military branches, one that she never has practiced, but i suspect that she has the knack if she puts her mind on it... Namely nasty pranks........

What would be amusing as a new year prank, specially if Freddy gets slightly drunk?

The situation following the collapse of Austria-Hungary of 1918-19 really needs to be fleshed out. This is my understanding of TTL current borders but an official clarification would be welcome:

- Austria consists of it's OTL territory plus some adjacent areas. It is unlikely that Austria lost any territory to Italy, so South Tyrol is still attached. In a previous post, Austria owning Trieste was mentioned which indicates that Carniola and Istria are most likely as well.
- Czechia (Bohemia and Moravia) are German Crown Lands
- Slovakia probably looks like the rump Slovakia of 1939 after Hungary shaved off the more Hungarian/militarily important parts.
- Ruthenia and Transylvania are most likely part of Hungary. From a military standpoint, Hungary will want to keep the entire Carpathian shield to protect the Hungarian plain, local sentiments be damned.
- Galacia and Lodomeria were most likely merged with the restored Poland. Whether the Ukrainian half is a part of Poland or independent Ukraine after the Soviet War is anyone's guess, but I would bet against it. The area was occupied for 1-2 years by the soviets. Any locals with an opinion one way or the other are dead or deported.
- Croatia is independent with an unknown amount of Bosnia
- Bosnia is most likely fractured with the Serbs and Croats taking a piece.
- Serbia probably looks like its pre Balkan War border, plus some slivers from Bosnia, the Sanjak of Novi-Pazar, and Kosovo
- Kosovo is either independent or part of Albania
- Albania is independent minus northern Epirus which the Greeks took. Whether Valona is still held by the Italians or they were kicked out in 1920 as in our time is unknown.
- Bulgaria is the big winner of the Balkans. Macedonia, western Thrace, and the bits that Serbia and Romania took in the Second Balkan war were all restored by the great war
- Romania gained Bessarabia but lost some of the passes on the Transylvanian border and southern Dobruja, maybe some of central Dobruja (Constanta area) as well.
- Greece, while not on the winning side of the great war, did quite well post war. From previous posts, Eastern Thrace (including Constantinople) and a good chunk of western Anatolia are Greek owned now. How this was accomplished in the face of Bulgarian, Turkish, and Italian opposition is unknown.

EDIT - Added Romania
P-M mentioned that Slovenia was independent in his post about Trieste, so Carniola is probably the extent of Slovenia's borders. Istria is probably Austrian since it is part of the Littoral which includes Trieste.

If Austria didn't lose any territory to Italy, Italy will also have claims on Trento and Friuli.

I wonder about Montenegro as well.

Re Freddie,

Careful buddy, your sister might just have to treat you in the ER someday... She might just leave a Foley catheter on your bed with the instructions. That or a urological surgery book.

QUOTE="Peabody-Martini, post: 19626355, member: 17420"]my girlfriend.”[/QUOTE]

Also, ding ding ding, she didn’t deny it at all.

At least Ben tried to understand who she really was as opposed to the image that people had of her as a bloodless, intellectual who also happened to have never aged past the age of twelve.

Also, kudos for the Douglas Blackwood approach to romance. Ben’s figured out the key to loving Kiki.

Last edited:
Re Freddie,

Careful buddy, your sister might just have to treat you in the ER someday... She might just leave a Foley catheter on your bed with the instructions. That or a urological surgery book.

QUOTE="Peabody-Martini, post: 19626355, member: 17420"]my girlfriend.”

Also, ding ding ding, she didn’t deny it at all.

Also, kudos for the Douglas Blackwood approach to romance. Ben’s figured out the key to loving Kiki.[/QUOTE]

The little fact that Ben is STILL in the castle would appear to be a clue that her family is pretty certain that 'boyfriend' may be (is?) a transitory phase in their relationship. As for the Douglas Blackwood approach, Ben did get to study that technique from relatively close range.

This story has very few characters, (past and present), who weren't badasses in their own way.
Even some of the heels - Otto Mischner even.

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder what happened to William Joyce in this timeline?

Ben is most likely right about the FSR bringing out the worst in Kiki and this may force her to come grips about her need to prove herself to others, what would be best for her is get some counselling in how to cope honestly with her feelings and emotions and go to medical school preferably somewhere else then Berlin.
If she can't get in to medical school then a transfer back to the JMS with a stint aboard on one of the "Princesses" when they go out to the German Pacific Islands.
Kiki really needs to have a talk with Peter Holz about her being used as the poster girl for the JMS and his expectations of her role in the years to come.

The Wedding of Crown Prince Friedrich of the German Empire and Her Imperial Princess Suga of Japan is going to put the the boys in the Protocol Office to the test as the preliminary guest list will make the only venue big enough to hold it is going to be the Berlin Olympic Stadium, so cutting that list down is going to ruffle a lot of feathers.
Kat is undoubtedly is going to be put in charge of security for the event and she is going to bitch and moan about it but she would be even madder if she wasn't asked to be in charge.
For the City of Berlin this means a lot of visitors who are going to be willing to spend a lot of money just to be part of the spectacular and they are going to want to be involved with the planning.