• 1990s

Votes: 4 11.8%

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • None are plausible

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
Was there a POD between Prince Charles’s birth and today that would turn him into Citizen Charles Mountbatten? (Analogous to “Citizen Louis Capet” and “Citizen Nicholas Romanoff” when their monarchies were overthrown)

Here’s what I’m thinking are possible

* 1952, death of the Queen Father, the Queen is judged too young and inexperienced, the monarchy is abolished
* 1965, death of Churchill makes Brits realize they like elected leaders better than monarchs, the monarchy is abolished
* 1982, Falkland War goes the other way, causing a crisis in Britain and the Queen gets impeached
* 1990s, Prince Charles marriage fiasco makes Brits feel embarrassed by him, and the Royal Family is fired
* 2002, Queen Mother dies, and investigative journalists reveal that she cost taxpayers a lot of dollars. Taxpayers revolt, and the monarchy is ended, with the entire Mountbatten/Windsor family exiled to St Helena

Was there a POD between Prince Charles’s birth and today that would turn him into Citizen Charles Mountbatten? (Analogous to “Citizen Louis Capet” and “Citizen Nicholas Romanoff” when their monarchies were overthrown)

Here’s what I’m thinking are possible

* 1952, death of the Queen Father, the Queen is judged too young and inexperienced, the monarchy is abolished
* 1965, death of Churchill makes Brits realize they like elected leaders better than monarchs, the monarchy is abolished
* 1982, Falkland War goes the other way, causing a crisis in Britain and the Queen gets impeached
* 1990s, Prince Charles marriage fiasco makes Brits feel embarrassed by him, and the Royal Family is fired
* 2002, Queen Mother dies, and investigative journalists reveal that she cost taxpayers a lot of dollars. Taxpayers revolt, and the monarchy is ended, with the entire Mountbatten/Windsor family exiled to St Helena
The last 3 are extremely implausible but the first two could be workable. Though I doubt they'd see the queen as inexperienced.

Point of nomenclature.

King George VI wasn't the Queen Father. Was that a typo for the Queen's father?

I'd go further than what @Along the bay wrote and say that all five options are extremely implausible. However, IMHO the least implausible option is the 1990s due to the unpopularity of the Royal Family as a whole when Diana died. This might lead to the Blair Government abolishing the monarchy as well as the hereditary peers. However, I think that it would be prevented by Charles renouncing his claim to the throne in favour of his sons so that Prince William would become king when his grand mother died.

However, the most plausible/least implausible option is the one you haven't given. That is the monarchy is abolished by the Atlee Government. That's probably when there would have been the most public support for a republic and when the UK had a government that might have done it.

Last edited:
* 1982, Falkland War goes the other way, causing a crisis in Britain and the Queen gets impeached.
How does that lead to the Queen being impeached? She wasn't responsible for the events that led to the Argentine invasion or the decision to recover the Falkland Islands by force.

What could happen is that a defeat in the Falklands War, which is plausible, led to the Labour Party winning the next General Election. The party was going through a very left wing phase at the time so a TTL 1980s Labour Government might abolish the monarchy.

suggest folks google Sue Townsends book. " the Queen and I " a very funny little book which I suppose could be given a alt history tag !

Largely implausible - but if Corbyn gets to be PM (God help us), and the Queen passes away, then he may call for a referendum on whether the country wants the Monarchy to remain or Britain become a Republic.

However, IMHO the least implausible option is the 1990s due to the unpopularity of the Royal Family as a whole when Diana died. This might lead to the Blair Government abolishing the monarchy as well as the hereditary peers. However, I think that it would be prevented by Charles renouncing his claim to the throne in favour of his sons so that Prince William would become king when his grand mother died.
Skipping Charles might happen, but that's the least implausible possibility. The catch 22 for the late 90s is that the bulk of anger against the Royal Family was from Diana's fans. And as much as they might want to destroy Charles, destroying the monarchy ends any chance of her descendants on the throne.

Would it count if he moved? Mr and Mrs Mountbatten, Chateau de Condé, France?

Any attempt to abolish the monarchy should be considered ASB because the royals are actually dependent of tourists' dollars. Once abolished, you can kiss all of that tourist money goodbye and the UK economy goes belly-up.

Skipping Charles might happen, but that's the least implausible possibility. The catch 22 for the late 90s is that the bulk of anger against the Royal Family was from Diana's fans. And as much as they might want to destroy Charles, destroying the monarchy ends any chance of her descendants on the throne.

Would it count if he moved? Mr and Mrs Mountbatten, Chateau de Condé, France?

Yet just 5 years later, 500,000 people in The Mall to see the Queen

I can't see whole British monarchy being abolished after WW2. At least not very easily. But you can get Charles out of succession line easily.

1952, death of the Queen Father, the Queen is judged too young and inexperienced, the monarchy is abolished

Queen Father? What that is? I have heard queen mother but never queen father. EII father was king no queen father. If then you ddin't mean queen's father. But this is extremely implausible. Surely Elizabeth had got good education for her duties. There is not anyway much doing for monarchs anyway.

1965, death of Churchill makes Brits realize they like elected leaders better than monarchs, the monarchy is abolished

Why former PM's death would just cause Brits turning anti-monarchist?

1982, Falkland War goes the other way, causing a crisis in Britain and the Queen gets impeached

Huh? Have you any idea how UK is led? Queen is not leader of government. If someone is impeached it is PM Thatcher.

1990s, Prince Charles marriage fiasco makes Brits feel embarrassed by him, and the Royal Family is fired

Worst would be ousting of Charles by parliament and even that hardly would happen.

2002, Queen Mother dies, and investigative journalists reveal that she cost taxpayers a lot of dollars. Taxpayers revolt, and the monarchy is ended, with the entire Mountbatten/Windsor family

Hardly QM was more expensive than other royals. And hardly taxpayers would do anything worse than spit their morning tea to magazine. Perhaps someone writes angry letter to his MP.

None of those PODs seem likely. Republican sentiment in Britain post-WW2 has been fairly muted, peaking at 34%. You'd need something much bigger than any of your proposed PODs, specifically involving royal scandal. Perhaps have Edward VIII refuse to abdicate while still marrying Wallis Simpson, which causes the resignation of the Baldwin government, difficulty with the Church of England, and could easily lead to a massive upswing in republicanism. If he also becomes viewed as a Nazi sympathizer during WW2 as per OTL, then it's quite possible the the monarchy doesn't survive the war.

Last edited: