Die Alte Welt Hat Überlebt- A Central Powers Victory Collaborative Timeline

How many civil wars should Russia have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the Khan is supported by Russia and Japan? Russia could "cede" Tuva to Mongolia to get rid of some "non-Orthodox subhumans", and after World War II, the border to China remains like that and Tuva is made independent, with Manchukuo reintegrated into China?
That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I figured that the Khan would be overthrown about halfway through the war, and join the allies, allowing them to keep some of their territory (and maybe leave Tuva as a puppet)

That was the invasion of Finland by Russia. Do you think an Invasion of Ukraine is more plausible here?

Maybe another area could see an Anschluss?

a) Not everything that happened in OTL needs a direct analogue in TTL. AH is far more interesting when people deviate from swapping events between countries and create unique ideas for how a situation arose
b) I am fully aware that you had Finland as the catalyst for WWII in your timeline. My issue is that if Germany has somehow let Russia trample all over Ukraine and the Baltics, then why couldn’t Russia have Finland too?
c) My point was that, more generally, the lead up to WWII makes little sense. Transposing the actions of OTL Germany onto TTL Russia do not make sense because the geopolitical situation for Russia here is vastly different to Germany’s.
d) If war could have broken out over an invasion if Ukraine (which I think is what would have happened), then Russia wouldn’t risk an invasion in the first place. Hitler occupied the Rhineland with express instructions to fall back if they were challenged; he did not want to go to war then. Likewise, I see no way Rodzaevsky would actively want war with one of the world’s two superpowers. I feel that war is far more likely to have been humbled into; a series of diplomatic confrontations and terse relations turns into all-out war after Russia mistakenly fires on a German ship, for example.
e) If an Anschluß happens anywhere, it’d be Siberia: it’s the only other independent, Russian-speaking nation, and this the only one which could claim “unification with the fatherland”. Anywhere else would need different justifications.​

Regarding Deutschösterreich, I considered those borders anyway. What would you (all) think? Is an independent, a Czech, or a German Sudetenland the most plausible and interesting?

An independent Sudetenland is impossible; the only reason for them to seek independence would be to then join Germany. If Austria takes the southern part and Germany takes the north, that is possible, although I would much prefer a Czechoslovak Sudetenland. (Apart from my own TL, I haven’t really seen a Sudetenland hat remains both German-populated and part of Czechoslovakia.)

I have been working on China ITTL for a while now, so I think that it was decided that the capital was Nanjing. As for Mongolia, well...
My thoughts on Mongolia were that Sternberg, or someone like him, takes over Mongolia, and tries to restore the Mongol empire. The regime managed to occupy Ningxia, Tuva, Inner Mongolia, and possibly even parts of Manchuria. In about 1938, the Khan dies, and Mongol self rule is restored. The borders are essentially armistice lines, drawn up hastily so that both Mongolia and China could focus on fighting the Russians.

If they’re armistice lines, I can see them lasting for a while, but that in combination with Tibet means China is almost completely cut off from Gansu. Also, as far as I know, (those who know more, correct me if I’m wrong) the Hui people are mostly ethnically Han and have little in common with the Mongols, who are mostly Buddhist.

@Red Arturoist, @KaiserEmu, what do you guys think of a briefly declared "Republik Deutschsudetenland" that is quickly absorbed by Czechoslovakia, possibly as an autonomous region?

That sounds good to me.

I desperately need such inspirations, definitely! We do want a plausible TL, after all. I think we should change the borders in Transylvania (i.e. give Hungary all of Austro-Hungarian Transylvania (or even more?)) for this Hungary to be more plausible.

Giving them more of Romania is unlikely. The exact nature of how WWII unfolds will probably determine what the border looks like in the end. For all we know, radical Orthodox supremacist Romania expels all the Hungarians, which obviously affects what the post-war border will look like.

a) Not everything that happened in OTL needs a direct analogue in TTL. AH is far more interesting when people deviate from swapping events between countries and create unique ideas for how a situation arose
b) I am fully aware that you had Finland as the catalyst for WWII in your timeline. My issue is that if Germany has somehow let Russia trample all over Ukraine and the Baltics, then why couldn’t Russia have Finland too?
c) My point was that, more generally, the lead up to WWII makes little sense. Transposing the actions of OTL Germany onto TTL Russia do not make sense because the geopolitical situation for Russia here is vastly different to Germany’s.
d) If war could have broken out over an invasion if Ukraine (which I think is what would have happened), then Russia wouldn’t risk an invasion in the first place. Hitler occupied the Rhineland with express instructions to fall back if they were challenged; he did not want to go to war then. Likewise, I see no way Rodzaevsky would actively want war with one of the world’s two superpowers. I feel that war is far more likely to have been humbled into; a series of diplomatic confrontations and terse relations turns into all-out war after Russia mistakenly fires on a German ship, for example.
e) If an Anschluß happens anywhere, it’d be Siberia: it’s the only other independent, Russian-speaking nation, and this the only one which could claim “unification with the fatherland”. Anywhere else would need different justifications.​

An independent Sudetenland is impossible; the only reason for them to seek independence would be to then join Germany. If Austria takes the southern part and Germany takes the north, that is possible, although I would much prefer a Czechoslovak Sudetenland. (Apart from my own TL, I haven’t really seen a Sudetenland hat remains both German-populated and part of Czechoslovakia.)

If they’re armistice lines, I can see them lasting for a while, but that in combination with Tibet means China is almost completely cut off from Gansu. Also, as far as I know, (those who know more, correct me if I’m wrong) the Hui people are mostly ethnically Han and have little in common with the Mongols, who are mostly Buddhist.

That sounds good to me.

Giving them more of Romania is unlikely. The exact nature of how WWII unfolds will probably determine what the border looks like in the end. For all we know, radical Orthodox supremacist Romania expels all the Hungarians, which obviously affects what the post-war border will look like.
I kind of imagined that Russia bides its time, maybe annexing Siberia, until it is sure that it will be able to take on Germany. Then, Rodzhaevsky will try to get the Germans to fire the first shot, and then, we can have Russian Blitzkrieg across Europe.

I think that Ningxia depends largely on how they are treated by the Mongols, as in OTL, the Hui people are often persecuted by China because of their faith. If the Mongols treat them fairly, they might decide that they would rather keep things as they are.

How long do you think that Sudetenlander state could last, and would it be supported by Germany?

I was thinking of having Hungary control Transylvania until WW2, but I am not sure what would happen postwar

Why do you think a Czechoslovakian Sudetenland would be better than a German one, @KaiserEmu and @mikroraptor ?

I like it that open, to be honest. Then I'll revise it completely!
Up until WW2 in OTL, there were lots of areas of Europe that had significant German Minorities, but few of them tried to join with Germany. I can see a springtime of nations leading to an attempt to establish an independent Sudetenland, but I doubt that it would have much support. I could be wrong though.

Up until WW2 in OTL, there were lots of areas of Europe that had significant German Minorities, but few of them tried to join with Germany. I can see a springtime of nations leading to an attempt to establish an independent Sudetenland, but I doubt that it would have much support. I could be wrong though.
The Sudetenland throughout its entire existence in Czechoslovakia was agitating to join Germany, though through different methods. Originally it was obstructionist, it then evolved into “collaboration... for now,” before eventually culminating in revolutionary contemporary to Nazi rule. With over 90% of Sudetenland being German, it is likely that a victorious Germany, along with annexing Austria, would annex the Sudetenland. The concept of Czech rule over the Sudetenland was only established at Versailles, with the Sudetenland previously being a crownland of Austria that had previously been part of Bohemia. Equally notably, the National Council of German-Austria, originally the council for Austria in the waning days of Austria-Hungary, had Sudetenland under its authority. With this national council being what Germany is annexing, it is likely that the Sudetenland would have gone with, and with no complaint from the Pro-German population.

Deleted member 107125

@Used-to-be Song Chinese, I have been working on China ITTL for a while now, so I think that it was decided that the capital was Nanjing. As for Mongolia, well...
My thoughts on Mongolia were that Sternberg, or someone like him, takes over Mongolia, and tries to restore the Mongol empire. The regime managed to occupy Ningxia, Tuva, Inner Mongolia, and possibly even parts of Manchuria. In about 1938, the Khan dies, and Mongol self rule is restored. The borders are essentially armistice lines, drawn up hastily so that both Mongolia and China could focus on fighting the Russians.
My thoughts were that Sternberg survives longer and rules as regent of Mongolia for the Bogd Khaan, until declaring himself Khan, at which point civil war breaks out. The Bogd Khanate, aided by Japan, wins the civil war.

Deleted member 107125

So is anyone up for me making a documentary for the UK thing? After my exams are over and I am back from my vacation in Sri Lanka I may surprise you guys with a nice little trailer for a documentary about Interwar Britain. Of course it won't necessarily be fully canon, given that we still haven't figured it out, but it'll be some kind of beta thing

So is anyone up for me making a documentary for the UK thing? After my exams are over and I am back from my vacation in Sri Lanka I may surprise you guys with a nice little trailer for a documentary about Interwar Britain. Of course it won't necessarily be fully canon, given that we still haven't figured it out, but it'll be some kind of beta thing
Sure - Multi media is great. If you need any advice of what to include just ask.

Deleted member 107125

Sure - Multi media is great. If you need any advice of what to include just ask.
Does an (attempted) invasion of Ireland during the war seem plausible. Note the attempted here

Deleted member 107125

Yeah, I kind of see them occupying Belfast, and then trying to encourage the Ulstermen to revolt, and attempt to rejoin the UK
So my idea was a coalition of Black and Tans , Ulster Riflemen and the Ulster guard essentially occupying Ireland, although they'd not have much of a chance outside Ulster

@Red Arturoist would you mind if I retconned the Christian Democrats in the US to just the Democrats, or maybe the "National Democrats"? Cause unless there's a major constitutional amendment, a CDP in the USA would be a violation of the separation of Church and State, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.