Canada Under American Rule

How is there no indication of a Canadian identity? Not the 2019 Canadian identity no, but the English speaking Canadians overwhelmingly thought of themselves as British citizens, entitled to all the rights and protections thereof. The French speaking Canadiens (important difference pre-1867) had an independent identity going back to the conquest of Canada by Britain.

Those two distinct national identities were easily spotter by Lord Durham 150 years ago, and were quite evident to the people on the ground at the time.
Not what I said. I said more distinct than Texan national identity. Having two peoples claiming a single identity and mistrusting one another is generally not conducive to nationhood.

That Texas bears no similarity to Canada in the period whatsoever. No one in Canada wanted to be American, pretty clearly evidenced by no one ever sincerely calling for annexation between 1775 and 1867. Unlike Texas.
No one called for annexing Texas until there was an independent Texas.
You seem to just be shifting the goalposts around for some reason when you don't get an answer you like.
In what way have I shifted the goalposts?

Lusitania

Donor
Because we continue talking about a Canadian or better yet British identity along with French Canadian identity and an attitude born during ARW and enforced by war of 1812 that explicitly was anti American. But you disregard everything we write here because if I may say got some reason it seems that it is universally implied that America was so much better how could the US not be welcomed with open arms.

The other point we keep trying to explain (without much success by the fact we still discussing this thread) is that at no time till way after the ACW did the US have the means to conquer and occupy a state be it British North America or Proper Mexico (not just lightly populated northern fringes.)

Also keep in mind any attack on British North America would of involved a battle against entire British empire and unlike Harry Harrison uneducated and ignorant books the British empire not only had the whereabouts but also desire to defend the empire.

Not what I said. I said more distinct than Texan national identity. Having two peoples claiming a single identity and mistrusting one another is generally not conducive to nationhood.

1775 solidified (or at least clarified) the loyalty of Canadiens to the Crown versus looking to the US for salvation. 1812, where there was a sympathetic population of recent American settlers lead to a British North American identity of loyal subjects (many of whom were Loyalists, and even recent immigrants began following their lead) versus any sympathy for Washington. Post 1812 there was never any serious group calling for annexation to the United States.

No one called for annexing Texas until there was an independent Texas.

The revolution started with the goal being to be annexed to the United States, when that didn't work out they had ten years of risky independence. Sure the drive for annexation wasn't universal, but lots of people went to Texas with that goal in mind.

In what way have I shifted the goalposts?

Election don't count as popular mandates apparently, lack of any call for annexation doesn't mean there wasn't one somehow, and there is no Canadian identity despite there being a Canadian identity.

But I was told that Anti-American sentiment was already pervasive by others in this thread, so how would he Fenian raids increasing such sentiment be relevant, or even achievable?

Passive "we don't like America and don't want to be American" sentiment versus "Americans are crossing the border and killing our people" would be how that works. There's suddenly a very real need to be extremely distinct from America when the perception is they might be trying to kick off a war to annex you.

kernals12

Banned
If the St Lawrence Seaway does get built in lieu of the Erie Canal, it has a big impact for me. My mom grew up in Buffalo. The Buffalo-Niagra Falls area became a large industrial center because it was the entrance point of the Erie Canal while much less development occurred on the Ontario side. ITTL the town of Welland, home to the eponymous canal, will become the prime metropolis and most of the development will occur on the Ontario side instead of on the New York side. This means my mother probably would've grown up several miles west.

Indeed, New York's coast on Lake Ontario will probably see a lot more development with Rochester turning into a city rivalling Toronto in size.

Last edited:

kernals12

Banned
One significant downside of American rule for Canadians: Your parliamentary ridings or congressional districts as we call them will just be your state and a number, no more clever names that provide geographical context.

Lusitania

Donor
One significant downside of American rule for Canadians: Your parliamentary ridings or congressional districts as we call them will just be your state and a number, no more clever names that provide geographical context.
What with the continued fantasy about maintaining this thread going? Please read the other posts in this thread and you see all the comments showing this thread is dead but you continue to post