AU Fiction: CFL-USA - A different telling.

I'm currently working on the 2003-04 Offseason Reports. Before I get to it, I need to mention that the CFL AU story will now enter Phase II or Act Two of the story.

Any questions on the story so far before I complete the Offseason Report? Feel free to ask.

Chapter 40 - 2003-2004 CFL Offseason Report
2003-2004 CFL Offseason Report:​

With the first ten years of the CFL finally over, now was the time to keep being original. The Continental Football League. The league, now under the new president Mark Cohon, would continue to keep the league with twenty-teams. Despite already coming up with plans for the next expansion. It was decided to put them on hold. Mark Cohon was also looking to keep their deal with SEGA. With the release of SEGA Doug Flutie CFL 2k4, the two companies would sign a new deal to allow SEGA to become the sponsor for the CFL 2004 season. This move was considered a bold choice as the CFL would become the first league in North America to have a sponsor of the league. Usually seen in other parts of the world.

Mark also decided to bring back the CFL All-Star Game to go with the exhibition game in Japan.The two teams (CFC All-Stars and USFC All-Stars) would showcase the game to a wider audience. Cohon also got busy with the CFLPA and settled a new agreement to allow players to continue till 2007.

During the CFL Draft. Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger considered the big names considering to go to the CFL instead of the NFL. In the end, Ben signed with the CFL along with Rivers. Manning decided to sign with San Diego which traded him to the New York Giants. Roethlisberger would sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats as a backup QB and Rivers would sign with Portland as their backup QB. Another signing was Reggie Williams to Orlando and Toronto would sign Roy Williams and J.P. Losman for the new offensive attackers.

Mark Cohon would also announce the next CFL Grey Cups will take place in Vancouver, Orlando, and Ottawa.

The CFL All-Star Game took place three weeks before the start of the regular season. The Tokyo Dome would be slightly modified for the game. The NPB Giants would also move their game from the stadium to avoid conflicting with the event. The USFC and CFC fought in front of 23,000 fans. Despite some slips from the CFC All-Stars, they would still win the game 23-20 against the USFC All-Stars. Ben Roethlisberger would be the game MVP.

The CFL Arena League would have their season underway when it was happening. The 2004 season was met with some hardship as former NFL and then-current AL Lewis suffered an injury during the game between his team the California Avengers and the New York Dragons. He would be treated with life-threatening injuries but would survive. In wake of what happened, the CFL and the CFLPA would have to redo their deal to make the game safer so they can avoid another similar scare. AL Lewis would retire due to the injuries but decided to not sue the CFL, the CFL would help Lewis pay his medical bills and the California Avengers would retire his number in honor of him.

CFL Arean League
ArenaBowl sponsor by SEGA Sports
Nashville Kats defeated Arizona Rattlers.
51-48​

Chapter 41- In Other News: 2003-04
*A word with the Author*
(What this?! A new chapter already? Yep. I wanted to be productive today and work on this chapter as well. The CFL 2004 season will come soon now. Till then any questions you have, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them or fix some errors i did my mistake. Till then, enjoy the read!)

In Other News: 2003-04

National Football League:​

With an year and a half away before the 32nd NFL team debuts, the NFL was gearing up on red alert over it. With good players going to the CFL, the NFL needed to keep who they had. To them, the CFL was more like the USFL or AAFC instead of the AFL. They didn’t want another league to be successful like the short-lived USFL. But this time they would score some key players away from the CFL. Despite trying to sign away Portland QB Cade McNown to the NFL, they would manage to sign some smaller talent. Another team effect were the Birmingham Fire.

The NFL also continued onward to the next season, the top team was the AFC Houston Outlaws. The SuperBowl would see them defeat the NFC Green Bay Packers. Houston John Layfield would help stop the Packers offense to the point that the team was on standstill. Brent Farve would call out Layfield for some of his tackles after the game. Houston Outlaws would be the quickest team to win the NFL SuperBowl but it would come with a asterisk due to John Layfield. He would call out the CFL after the game by swearing how much they suck.

Despite winning the Superbowl, the NFL would fine John Layfield for his actions. Despite this, Layfield would hang up his pads and retire to a commentary job with Fox Sports.

Layfield actions set up the stage for what the war was heading to now. With the CFL historic 10th Season in the US already over. The NFL was getting ready to start a new journey. A journey to stop the CFL hype train.

Europe:​

The four men who founded the EAFA, Mario Traugott, Robert J. Shuck, Benjamin Tretyakov, and Thomas Tessier, would announce a new name too for their league, the European Gridiron Association. The EGA would announce their inaugural teams for the 2004 season. A year ahead of what was projected.

European Gridiron Association
Inaugural Teams:​

Eastern Conference:
Berlin City Falcons GFC
Frankfurt Universe GFC
Moscow United GFC
Warsaw Bears GFC

Western Conference:
Amsterdam Admirals GFC
Madrid Royals GFC
Lyon Lillies GFC
Paris Legion GFC

The new clubs decided to use the GFC or Gridiron Football Club as part of their official name to avoid confusion with local Association Football teams. The league will still use the NFL size field and official rules with some differences. The play clock is now 25 seconds in the EGA instead of the NFL or CFL. The clubs would also look into getting sponsors for the teams and the league would be sponsored differently where the team would be located. The talent of the first few seasons will be mostly of former NFL Europe/Europa League teams or former rugby union or soccer players.

The league will have a 12 week season and would start it inaugural season in the Springtime. If the league becomes a success, the league will look into adding a team in Edinburgh, Scotland, and Kiev, Ukraine in the future seasons.

Chapter 42- 2004 CFL Season
2004 CFL Season:

2004 CFL Standing:

Canadian Football Conference:​
Eastern Division
  1. Hamilton Tiger-Cats
  2. Ottawa Renegades
  3. Montreal Alouettes
  4. Toronto Argonauts
  5. Halifax Schooners
Western Division:
  1. BC Lions
  2. Saskatchewan Roughriders
  3. Edmonton Eskimos
  4. Winnipeg Blue Bombers
  5. Calgary Stampeders
United State Football Conference​
Eastern Division:
  1. Cleveland Browns
  2. Hartford Knights
  3. Oklahoma Wranglers
  4. Orlando Thunder
  5. Birmingham Fire
Western Division:
  1. San Antonio Texans
  2. Portland Pirates
  3. Anaheim Bulls
  4. Oakland Invaders
  5. San Jose Samurai
The CFL season was a rough one despite the success of the exhibition game in Japan. The CFL and CFLPA would work out a new deal that was not as lasting compared to the last one they signed earlier in the year. Yet the show must go on and despite some players, like Portland QB Cade McNown, leaving for greener pastures in the National Football League. Despite that, Portland new QB, Philip Rivers, would be an godsent for the team. Despite the Texans leading the USFC West. The Pirates would prove a tough challenger for the Texans. Anaheim wasn’t that far behind and grabbed the last playoff spot. Oakland would improve and San Jose would be dealt with injuries and would have their first big loss season.

USFC East was still the Browns Dawg Pound with the Hartford Knights and Oklahoma Wranglers making the last two playoff spots. Orlando would just barely miss the playoffs and Birmingham would fail to qualify again. With The Fire being in the basement of the league once again. The team was getting a bit worried. Their star QB from years ago retired long ago and they haven't been that successful since moving to Legion Stadium. The NFL also took notes on this too and so has someone else, someone that’s been quiet for a while.

The CFC East was the showcase of the revived Hamilton Tri-Cats and their star in the making, Bens Roethlisberger. Debuting in week one, people projected that he would help get the team back on track and it was so. The Tri-Cats become the CFC answer to the Cleveland Browns. Ottawa would once again have another impressive season, and Montreal would capture the last spot with a win over Toronto in the last week of the regular season. Halifax would have a bad season, Kurt Warner was injured for most of it but they would rebound to grab fourth place. Toronto would fail once more. Rumors have been floating around that the Argos owner might look into selling the team. Though they were rumors, so the truth of them remains unknown for now.

The CFC West was once again led by the BC Lions. CFC West was more well-rounded than the other three division and most teams did better then expected. Saskatchewan and Edmonton would make it to the playoffs while Winnipeg and the basement dwellers Calgary Stampeders failed to make it. Calgary was also another city with issues with the team. Despite plans to build a new stadium, the team has been performing poorly since Doug Flutie left in 1999. CFL President Mark Cohon has stated that the CFL is committed to them, Toronto and Birmingham.

“We are committed to keeping good football in those cities till the very end.” - Mark Cohon​

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of new chapters lately. Been wondering if I should do a timeline of what the champions of each league (MLB, NHL, NFL, etc...) are in this TL then IOTL? If anyone interested I can do it as a side chapter to the main story.

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of new chapters lately. Been wondering if I should do a timeline of what the champions of each league (MLB, NHL, NFL, etc...) are in this TL then IOTL? If anyone interested I can do it as a side chapter to the main story.
Yes please! I would definitely be interested in this! :)

CFL Cleveland Browns....
I could see there being legal issues with that. For example, the team that in OTL would become the Baltimore Stallions for their brief existence had wanted to be the Baltimore CFL Colts, but ran into thorny legal issues, thus prompting the Stallions name.
But ITTL if you read, the name and trademark of the browns were part of the city of cleveland, so after the infamous ravens move, rather a new nfl team, they got a CFL one.

@Wendell, there a method to my madness. XD

Anyway, sorry for lack of updates lately. Been unmotivated due to trying to find a job. I will have that championship timeline out sometime soon.

Side Chapter: List of Champions in this TL
List of Champions in this Timeline:

Continental Football League:
(Canadian Football League 1950-1999)​
1993: Ottawa Rough Riders
1994: Edmonton Eskimos
1995: Birmingham Fire
1996: Calgary Stampeders
1997: Montreal Alouettes
1998: Calgary Stampeders
1999: Cleveland Browns*
2000: Portland Pirates*
2001: Halifax Schooners*
2002: Winnipeg Blue Bombers
2003: Cleveland Browns*

National Football League:
1993: Buffalo Bills
1994: Dallas Cowboys
1995: Los Angeles Raiders
1996: Dallas Cowboys
1997: Green Bay Packers
1998: Denver Broncos
1999: Nashville Oilers*
2000: Los Angeles Raiders
2001: Los Angeles Raiders
2002: Dallas Cowboys
2003: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

World League of American Football / NFL Europe / NFL Europa:
(1991-1992,1995-2003)
1991-92: Same as OTL
1995: Frankfurt Galaxy
1996: Scottish Claymore
1997: London Monarchs
1998: Amsterdam Admirals
1999: Barcelona Dragons
2000: Rhein Aces*
2001: Frankfurt Galaxy
2002: Moscow Bears*
2003: Amsterdam Admirals

Xtreme Football League (1999-2002)
1999: Orlando Rage
2000: Orlando Rage
2001: Oklahoma Wranglers*
2002: Oakland Invaders*

Major League Baseball:
1993: Toronto Blue Jays
1994: Montreal Expos
1995: Florida Marlins
1996: Atlanta Braves
1997: Atlanta Braves
1998: Toronto Blue Jays
1999: New York Yankees
2000: New York Mets
2001: Anaheim Angels
2002: Chicago Cubs
2003: Seattle Mariners

National Basketball Association:
1993- 2002: Same with OTL
2003: Detroit Pistons

National Hockey League:
1993: Montreal Canadians
1994: New York Rangers
1995: Vancouver Canucks
1996: Colorado Avalanches
1997: Detroit Red Wings
1998: Washington Capitals
1999: Buffalo Sabers
2000: New Jersey Devils
2001: Detroit Red Wings
2002: Toronto Maple Leafs
2003: Florida Panthers

CFL Arena League (Since 1993):
1993: Orlando Predators
1994: Tampa Bay Storms
1995: Iowa Barnstormers
1996: New York CityHawks
1997: San Jose Sabercats
1998: Arizona Rattlers
1999: Milwaukee Mustangs
2000: Milwaukee Mustangs
2001: Milwaukee Mustangs
2002: Montreal Stars*
2003: Arizona Rattlers

Major League Soccer:
1995: New England Revolution
1996: Los Angeles Galaxy
1997: Colorado Rapids FC
1998: Tampa Bay Rowdies FC*
1999: Chicago Fire FC
2000: Dallas Burn
2001: Hartford Athletics*
2002: San Jose Earthquakes
2003: D.C. United

Major League Lacrosse:
2001: Boston Cannons
2002: Long Island Riptide*
2003: Baltimore Bayhawks

National Indoor Lacrosse League
(Major Indoor Lacrosse League 1988 -1997)
1993: Baltimore Thunder
1994: Rochester Knighthawks
1995: New York Saints
1996: Philadelphia Wings
1997: Buffalo Bandits
1998: Toronto Rock
1999: Philadelphia Wings
2000: Detroit Turbos**
2001: Calgary Roughnecks
2002: Colorado Mammoths
2003: New York Saints

Roller Hockey International (1993-1999)
1993-1999: Same as OTL

International Hockey League:
(The IHL survived the 2001 season and merged with the AHL)
1993-2001: Same as OTL
2002: Orlando Solar Bears
2003: Winnipeg Moose*

American Professional Soccer League:
(Merging with MLS in 2005 to become the MLS 2)​

1993-1995: Same as OTL
1996: San Diego Fleet*
1997: Montreal Impacts***
1998: Seattle Sounders FC
1999: Rochester Raging Rhinos
2000: Utah Pioneers FC*
2001: Portland Timbers SC
2002: Long Island Fever*
2003: Atlanta Fury FC*
2004: Portland Timber SC

National Professional Soccer League:
1993-2002: Same as OTL

Major Indoor Soccer League (Second Version)
2003: Cleveland Crunch

* = Original Teams for the TL

**= New team with the old Turbos legacy attached to them

***= Montreal would leave the league for the NPSL after winning the championship​

WTF..HOW? 1991 was just a bad kick. 1992-1994 the bills were massacred.
Eh.. I kinda felt bad for the Bills. Still do to be honest. Though, this TL has them winning the 1993 Super Bowl but failing to get back to it since. Basically, i gave them their 15 minutes of fame.

What do you guys think of this TL of Champions? Any leagues I missed?