Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Charles, Count of Artois

Charles would survive for all of ten minutes as an American monarch, at least assuming he maintained similar politics to his time as Charles X IOTL. His ideas on divine right and the powers of kings would clash entirely with even the most conservative of American politicians and almost certainly lead to a swift deposition.

Maybe Lafayette, i was thinking Charles, Count of Artois
I would agree that the Count of Artois is ideologically incompatible, the Marquis of Lafayette is a forum favorite as an American monarch but both have a severe problem the same problem all French princes would have, they are Catholic. Revolutionary America would never except a "papist" king, these are the same people that 20 years earlier were terrified of an impossible Catholic invasion from the north. The USA barely allowed a Catholic president in 60s, if you want to get this to work you probably need an earlier POD than just the Revolutionary War.

The european monarchies would find them a laughingstock and then invade them
From whom? Britain who had to already discontinue the previous war? France and Spain who have a friendly monarch on the throne?

With an earlier POD, a member of the Huguenot Rohan family could emigrate to America in the 17th century. Benjamin de Rohan fled to England OTL. If he marries and has children, his descendants can later go to New France and there we have a Protestant pretender to the throne of America.

Last edited:
I am not sure, that line looks pretty hard to trace. And i do not like making up fictional people, just modifying OTL ones. I think the Dutch prince i thought about would be better