The Beatles Don't Break Up in 1970 - A Timeline

Fun bit of trivia regarding A Night at the Opera: the Bechstein piano Freddie Mercury used to record Bohemian Rhapsody and other songs from that album is the same piano Paul used to record Hey Jude; both songs were recorded at Trident Studios.

As for assumed names, it's easy: Winston O'Boogie, Paul Ramone, Nelson Wilbury, and Rich Starkey.
I didn't know that about the piano, very interesting.

As for TTL's Band on the Run, a simple live performance/extended music video would suffice. The silliness of the Richard Lester movies and Yellow Submarine wouldn't translate as well to the more serious 70s.

70s humor strikes me as more biting and satirical, given the sociopolitical upheavals that ended the 60s.

Also around this time rock bands following in the Beatles' footsteps wanted to be taken more seriously as artists (especially the prog acts). Punk going to a DIY back to basics approach was a response to this.

70s humor strikes me as more biting and satirical, given the sociopolitical upheavals that ended the 60s.

Also around this time rock bands following in the Beatles' footsteps wanted to be taken more seriously as artists (especially the prog acts). Punk going to a DIY back to basics approach was a response to this.
Oh yeah, lol. I DID say in my idea that my idea for the film was a partially satirical lookback on their career, so yeah

But if everyone is taking themselves seriously, then the Beatles might do the opposite because they usually went against the grain.
Its why Steve Martin created the "Wild and Crazy Guy" character, it was his reaction to everyone including other comedians being more serious, critical and introspective.

The Beatles might feel its time everyone lighten up and once again be ahead of the curve.

What if Band on the Run is always about the band running away. All we ever see is their backs as they run away. Then we've got these weird characters going after them...

Who plays these weird characters that obviously are modeled on the Beatles?

Well, Peter Sellers plays one (Ringoish)
Benny Hill plays one (Paulish)
Eric Idle plays one (Georgish)
and Peter Cook plays one (Johnish)

Our four Ishes keep getting in messes as they try to get autographs from the Beatles and never quite make it- but they constantly see them on TVs in strange places performing their songs... thus the videos of the songs in the film.

They see them on TV in a bar, in an airport, on the sidewalk looking in through the big windows of an appliance store, at a sweet old lady's house who has them over for tea, surrealy on a TV just out on the sidewalk with a long extension cord and who knows why it's out there, at a strip joint where the old-style burlesque stripper uses a stack of TVs like a stripper pole, in a barbershop, etc., etc., etc.

The whole bit of the film is whether they ever catch up to get their autographs and at the end when they catch the Beatles and get them.... then what do they do with them?

What if Band on the Run is always about the band running away. All we ever see is their backs as they run away. Then we've got these weird characters going after them...

Who plays these weird characters that obviously are modeled on the Beatles?

Well, Peter Sellers plays one (Ringoish)
Benny Hill plays one (Paulish)
Eric Idle plays one (Georgish)
and Peter Cook plays one (Johnish)

Our four Ishes keep getting in messes as they try to get autographs from the Beatles and never quite make it- but they constantly see them on TVs in strange places performing their songs... thus the videos of the songs in the film.

They see them on TV in a bar, in an airport, on the sidewalk looking in through the big windows of an appliance store, at a sweet old lady's house who has them over for tea, surrealy on a TV just out on the sidewalk with a long extension cord and who knows why it's out there, at a strip joint where the old-style burlesque stripper uses a stack of TVs like a stripper pole, in a barbershop, etc., etc., etc.

The whole bit of the film is whether they ever catch up to get their autographs and at the end when they catch the Beatles and get them.... then what do they do with them?
I'd pay to see that! :)

Is it a European swallow or an African swallow?
Ya have to be a king to know that kind of stuff.

By 1973, I can't see Benny Hill doing anything he didn't have creative control over. He was four years into his time at Thames and he was settled into a very comfortable rut there, I'm not sure even The Beatles would make him leave it.

Last edited:
Greetings my fellow alternate history fans!

As you can probably tell by my username, I've been a fan of The Beatles for as long as I can remember. However, it is a little bit difficult to be the fan of a group that hasn't released anything remotely new in over 23 years. Their rather extensive catalog makes up for this somewhat, but I've always wondered what would have been if The Beatles stayed together and were still an active band today, much like the Rolling Stones in our timeline. I was therefore inspired to start up this timeline.

Up to 1970 will play out much like OTL with some changes here and there. I'll also change some things to (hopefully) keep The Beatles together.

Lastly, keep in mind that this is my first ever foray into alternate history, so any and all feedback is very much welcome.

With that, let the journey begin...

THE BEATLES ALBUM DISCOGRAPHY (Up to 1972)
Der Top Ten Club präsentiert Die Beat Brothers (1961) [Rare, Local limited release]
Please Please Me (1963)
With The Beatles (1963)
A Hard Day's Night (1964)
Beatles For Sale (1964)
Help! (1965)
Rubber Soul (1965)
Revolver (1966)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Magical Mystery Tour (1967) [US only release]
A Doll's House (1968)
The Beatles (White Album) (1968)
Abbey Road (1969)
Let It Be (1970)
All Things Must Pass (1972)
Maybe they develope a more Grunge style ?