The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

He also hasn't gotten in any jousting accidents or got Syphilis or had the stress of a really bad divorce or any of the other things theorised to have effected his character in his later otl reign.
Re the jousting accidents...he got concussed at least twice, one of those times, he was out cold for a few hours at least. We now know the kind of damage concussions can cause. He did have what seems to have been migraines later in his reign.

So...

Possibly a healthier, and a happier Henry VIII. Make of that what you will... :openedeyewink:

Oh, the 1536 jousting accident is definitely off the cards, I do know that much. I like the idea of Henry recreating Burgundy's grandeur. I shall have to see what I can do..

Section LVIII - March 1521
I couldn't leave you hanging. Not on that cliff hanger. And Thomas's treatment of Anne comes straight from CJ Sansom's 'Dark Fire'. I've pinched it because I have always loved that scene (and that book).

Kathy watched Lady Anne fall to the ground as though she were in a dream. All she could think was ‘Papa. Papa must have caused this. It’s too much of a coincidence for him not to have had something to do with this.'

She opened her mouth, choked back a scream. Joanna glanced at her.

“Dr Linacre. Now!”

Without quite knowing how she did it, Kathy picked up her skirts and fled; fled through the palace to the doctor’s apartments. Hammering on the door, she had to choke back blind panic and when the doctor himself answered, she found herself unable to speak coherently. All she could do was pant, “Lady Anne! The Queen! Collapsed. Come, please!”

Luckily, the panic in her eyes spoke volumes that her words never could. In seconds, Dr Linacre was at her side, his medicine chest in his arms and his apprentice on his heels.

“Show me.”

Half-nodding, Kathy ran ahead of him to the Queen’s rooms, hanging back as he hurried over to kneel by Lady Anne’s twitching form.

She felt sick. How could Father have been so callous as to want to poison the Queen? And more than that, if he really felt he had to act against Queen Mary, how could he not have at least made sure it found its way to its intended target? Lady Anne shouldn’t have had to suffer for her father’s ambitions. She was too young, too innocent.

In that instant, Kathy knew that, filial loyalty and duties or not, she would have to tell the King about her father. If Lady Anne died and she'd said nothing, it would be on her conscience forever. She’d never forgive herself.

Whirling round, she dashed out of the room in search of the King.

Thomas Linacre had been a physician long enough to recognise belladonna poisoning when he saw it. True, he’d never actually treated a case of it, but Lady Anne’s pallor and twitching limbs were highly suspect.

“Roll her on to her back.” His voice was steady, determined. His apprentice rushed to do as he said. A single glance later, Thomas nodded. As he suspected. Lady Anne’s eyes were glazed and her pupils were dangerously dilated. It was belladonna poisoning all right, there was no doubt of that.

“Mustard.”

“Sir?” This time young Andrew’s voice was questioning. Thomas paused in his loosening of the girl’s stays just long enough to glance up at him.

“It’s belladonna poisoning, Andrew. We need to make her sick. Fetch me as much mustard as you can. Quickly.”

The lad nodded and was gone. A few seconds – long, interminable seconds that felt like minutes – later, he was back, a bottle of mustard in his hands.

“What are you doing? What are you doing? Mustard gives her a fever!” The Queen’s voice was frantic. Thomas pitied her, but this was no time to be gentle. Time was of the essence. Already unscrewing the cork, he glared up at her.

“You have the choice, Madam, of having a sister in the grip of a fever or no sister at all. Let me be, please.”

His voice was harsh; he knew he ought to apologise for speaking out of turn, but he didn’t. Instead, he focused on the limp body of the young lady in front of him.

Spooning the mustard between her lips, he forced her to swallow it, then immediately prepared a second dose. And a third.

For a few moments, there was no reaction and he began to fear he might already have been too late, but then she suddenly convulsed. He barely had time to roll her on to her side before she started vomiting, vomiting over and over again until her entire body was empty.

He had never been so relieved to see a patient slump into his arms and let him lay her limply back on the ground, all of a sudden at peace, even as her temperature started to rise, rise into the realms of a dangerously high fever.

“Can we move her to a bed, Madam?” he asked, only now glancing up at the Queen, fresh worry sparking in his eyes as it sank in that she must have witnessed the entire ordeal. She was with child, almost ready to go into confinement. If the stress of this made her lose the babe... Well, he didn't want to think of what the King's reaction would be.

“Of course. Take her into the next room and lay her down there.”

He could tell she had had to fight to keep her voice steady, but her head had been clear enough to give the order and that was enough. For now. Thomas nodded and swept the young girl into his arms.

I'm relieved that Anne is going to be alright. Cool medical solution, I've never heard of that book, but sounds interesting. Still, shit is going to go down. I hope Henry confines his anger to the duke and not Kathy.

I'm relieved that Anne is going to be alright. Cool medical solution, I've never heard of that book, but sounds interesting. Still, shit is going to go down. I hope Henry confines his anger to the duke and not Kathy.

She was never not going to be. I love Anne Boleyn too much to kill her off - except *possibly* in childbirth with Henry's longed-for son....

And yes. Dark Fire is a wonderful novel. As for Kathy, well, I have plans for that young lady..

She could be taught spycraft. Doesn't seem to match her character, but motivators can be found.

She could remain a lady in waiting and carry messages. Since she has no more remaining loyalties, the Queen and King could find her particularly dependable.

She could be granted land and title in her own right, making her a more valuable marriage propect and a lesson in loyalty for others.

She could find a place in one of once or future Princesses entroge. Since she has no prospects stemming from conflicting family loyalties, she is safe.

The point is, once her father is out of the way and she remains the only highly placed or favored Stafford, the tattered family fortune falls to her.

She could be taught spycraft. Doesn't seem to match her character, but motivators can be found.

She could remain a lady in waiting and carry messages. Since she has no more remaining loyalties, the Queen and King could find her particularly dependable.

She could be granted land and title in her own right, making her a more valuable marriage propect and a lesson in loyalty for others.

She could find a place in one of once or future Princesses entroge. Since she has no prospects stemming from conflicting family loyalties, she is safe.

The point is, once her father is out of the way and she remains the only highly placed or favored Stafford, the tattered family fortune falls to her.

Oh, I see! Well, hopefully you'll be happy with the plans I have for her - which will be one of the direct, and lasting, consequences of Anne's poisoning...

She was never not going to be. I love Anne Boleyn too much to kill her off - except *possibly* in childbirth with Henry's longed-for son....

And yes. Dark Fire is a wonderful novel. As for Kathy, well, I have plans for that young lady..
I often think who killing Anne in childbirth with Henry’s heir (or another daughter) would be the best way out for her (unless is Henry to die but then Mary need to be put under control)

I often think who killing Anne in childbirth with Henry’s heir (or another daughter) would be the best way out for her (unless is Henry to die but then Mary need to be put under control)

Well, yes, but Mary doesn't need to be controlled here. She's only five and Marie is the only mother she's ever known - three and a half years down the line, she doesn't remember Katherine any more.

Well, yes, but Mary doesn't need to be controlled here. She's only five and Marie is the only mother she's ever known - three and a half years down the line, she doesn't remember Katherine any more.
Absolutely not here (or in any other scenario in which Henry’s great matter never happened)... I was talking in general (and in the contest of the OTL relationship between Mary and Anne)

Section LIX - March 1521
Henry was stealing that rarest prize for a King, a few moments to himself to do as he pleased with, when he was suddenly disturbed by a kerfuffle in his outer rooms.

“But you don’t understand! I simply must see the King! It’s a matter of life and death!”

A woman. A young woman, clearly distressed beyond belief. Henry’s thoughts instantly sprang to Marie. Their boy! What if something had happened?

Leaping to his feet, he flung his bedroom door open.

“Let her in, Michael,” he called, gratified at the relief that flashed in the young woman’s eyes, a woman he now realised had to be a Stafford. Her resemblance to the Duke of Buckingham was too strong for her to be anything but.

“What is it, Lady...?” He trailed off as he realised that he couldn’t, for the life of him, remember the girl’s name.

“Katherine, Sire. Katherine Stafford,” The girl dropped into an automatic curtsy, “Forgive the intrusion, but I simply had to talk to you.”

The distress in Katherine’s voice was palpable. Henry went over and raised her from her curtsy, placing an arm around her shoulders in an attempt to reassure her, “I can see that. Why don’t you step in here and tell me whatever it is that is troubling you?”

With that, he led her into his bedchamber and guided her to a seat. She sat automatically, her nervous fingers pleating her gown.

“It’s my father,” she confessed at last.

“Your father? What about your father?” Henry forced his voice to be gentle, despite his impatience. He didn’t want to frighten the poor girl any further. For a moment, he considered sending for Marie, to see if she could help unravel this mystery, but Lady Katherine’s sudden intake of breath stopped him in his tracks.

“He tried to poison the Queen.”

“He WHAT!” Henry roared, jolting to his feet in anger. Lady Katherine blanched in the face of his fury, but pushed on nevertheless.

“He got his new attendant to take her a tumbler of wine laced with belladonna. He wanted to kill her so that I might comfort Your Majesty in your grief and become Queen, just as Queen Mary did after Queen Katherine died.”

Kathy couldn’t believe what she was saying, but she knew the King had to hear it all. Her heart, however, was pounding painfully in her chest and it took her two attempts to respond to the King’s next question, “How long have you known?”

“About a week, Sire. But I never dreamed my father would go through with it. Had I thought he would...when I saw Lady Anne lying so pale and thrashing about like that – Oh God, why didn’t I speak up sooner?!”

The full horror of what could have happened crashed over Kathy and she burst into tears. Henry bit back his rage and sank to his knees in front of her.

“No, Lady Katherine. You have nothing to be sorry for. You simply wanted to be loyal to your father, there’s naught wrong in that. I’d not punish you for his crimes. Not when you defied all the conventions of filial duty and loyalty to inform me of them. So dry your eyes, you’re in no trouble, I swear.”

“Before God?” she sniffed.

“Before God and all the saints,” he promised. Of course, she would have to repeat her words about her father in a court of law someday, and sooner rather than later, but this was hardly the time to press her about that.

When she was finally a little calmer, he sent her to her rooms to rest, while he called his guards to him.

“Arrest the Duke of Buckingham and confine him to the Tower,” he ordered, ignoring their quizzical looks as he rushed out of the room to find Marie.

He found her kneeling by Lady Anne’s side, eyes fixed on her younger sister’s flushed face.

“Does Dr Linacre think she’s going to be all right?”

“I don’t know. She drank the lot and then we had to give her a triple dose of mustard to make her ill and mustard always gives her a fever...” Marie’s voice was shaky and Henry had no choice but to kneel beside her and pull her into his arms.

“We’ll be praying for her, sweetheart,” he promised.

He knew the words rang hollow; knew they weren’t enough, but they were all he could say, all the comfort he could offer.

She leaned into him and let him kiss the crown of her head.

“This isn’t the marriage I envisioned when I was a girl,” she breathed.

There was nothing Henry could say to that except, “I know. I know, Marie, darling, but we’ll make it work. We’ll make it work, I promise.”

How come I get the feeling that the promise to dear Katherine will hold as much water as the promises to Robert Aske after the pilgrimage of Grace, the ones about clemecy, did in otl.

I'm getting the feeling we will see dark Henry soon.

How come I get the feeling that the promise to dear Katherine will hold as much water as the promises to Robert Aske after the pilgrimage of Grace, the ones about clemecy, did in otl.

Well this is a promise who Henry can easily keep. He had simply promised to not punish Kathy Stafford for her father’s crimes...

Buckingham's days are greatly numbered.

They are indeed.

You will be seeing dark Henry later on, but not for Kathy Stafford. As you suggested upthread, the Stafford hopes now rest firmly on her shoulders.

You will be seeing dark Henry later on, but not for Kathy Stafford. As you suggested upthread, the Stafford hopes now rest firmly on her shoulders.

Good. Still, that scene reminded that writing about Henry the 8th, even atl Henry who hasn't done anything to earn his otl reputation, is you expect him to strike. Narratively, it's like having a shark in the water and when you see his anger, it's like seeing the fin and wondering if it will strike, and at what target (not always a rational one).