Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpudNutimus

Banned
Hitler was against reannexing Schleswig/South Jutland from Denmark. The area was mostly Danish anyways, it kept the fiction of the Germans being invited in going, they got to keep a light administration in Denmark with plenty of agricultural and maritime goods for the Germans, plus he figured that the place would be annexed in a single unit oneday. He also did not intend to give up the Channel Islands. Plus I don't think he would support a Kingdom of Spain. Heck, he actually considered later on supporting the Republican Spaniards, as those sent to Germany to act as laborers worked well and some Nazis decided they were (as was correct for the vast majority of Republican) not communists, but were going against the nobility and clerics who tried to dominate Spain. And I don't see how Man or the Channel Islands count as either an occupation or colony for the U.K., as they are separate ciuntries which have been in personal union with the English and Scottish for centuries. Also unsure about those Direct Rule areas you chose for Germany.
Don't ask me, I didn't make the scenario, that would be @AP246.

The year is 1927. The entire world is ruled by the French Empire under Emperor Napoleon VI.
Screenshot_2019-07-19-22-37-49.png

Is this supposed to be some sort of elaborate inside joke?
Sorry, was the use of Hadaril's aesthetic going too far? That part was intended as literal, I unironically think that style is pretty darn good.
It's pretty much just a joke on how we tend to give polities that couldn't possibly have such concrete borders things like that, and other than assuming everything under say the Hittites was exclusively under the Hittites and not either nominally independent or influenced by another power I'm fairly sure it's mostly accurate- the time period is a bit off, but that could be ascribed to just general lack of certainty about the sources; and I think I'm missing up to 3 polities.

Plus I kinda wanted to see how many people it suckered. It's been a day and I've explained pretty much everything about the map, so... are we even?

Sorry, was the use of Hadaril's aesthetic going too far? That part was intended as literal, I unironically think that style is pretty darn good.
It's pretty much just a joke on how we tend to give polities that couldn't possibly have such concrete borders things like that, and other than assuming everything under say the Hittites was exclusively under the Hittites and not either nominally independent or influenced by another power I'm fairly sure it's mostly accurate- the time period is a bit off, but that could be ascribed to just general lack of certainty about the sources; and I think I'm missing up to 3 polities.

Plus I kinda wanted to see how many people it suckered. It's been a day and I've explained pretty much everything about the map, so... are we even?
Something about your reply just rubs me the wrong way. Like we're easy marks and you're just off gloating somewhere. Or like we're sheep that you can guide around by the muzzle. Just be mindful of how it looks to others, okay? Because right now you're coming off as a bit rude.

Something about your reply just rubs me the wrong way. Like we're easy marks and you're just off gloating somewhere. Or like we're sheep that you can guide around by the muzzle. Just be mindful of how it looks to others, okay? Because right now you're coming off as a bit rude.
"Nyeh he he he HEH! For my most DASTARDLY plot yet, I shall post a map labeled OTL to the website Alternate History Dot Com...WITH A WESTPHALIAN BIAS IN THE ANCIENT ERA!!! Those FOOLS shall be so thoroughly JAPED and BAMBOOZLED that they will all be awed by my intellect and bow before me! I will become the person who ensures that ancient maps in this one obscure time period WILL BE RATHER BUT NOT TOTALLY INCORRECT!!! The GREAT TANGLE strrrrrrrrikes again! Nyeh he heh!"

(But seriously @Tangle do not do this. Among other things you're gonna blow your credibility and might confuse some well meaninged people for a handful of likes if you're lucky.)

Am I not allowed to gloat over how my map looks pretty?

It's not so much that - more like your use of the word suckered. Just doesn't sit right with me. I don't know - just be careful, you know? Hard to gauge intent on the Internet and all that.

Am I not allowed to gloat over how my map looks pretty?
The term gloat improves being a bad sport about something. And after rereading your explanation, I see it gives the impression that the writer is a cross between a carnival barker and the owner of an art gallery. I remember on here once someone kept reposting or quoting their own map, before angrily demanding people guess the timeline for it. And, as everyone suspected, they had none. We simply weren't biting. I don't see any problem with your map personally, though as that would classify me as a 'sucker', it might make me less likely to comment on your maps in the future. Or more likely, considering how my comments are sometimes picking at pixels.
The "Irredentist Mexico" map went out of control. I will also say that Equal Earth is so much more aesthetically pleasing than Robinson, I can't look at Huge Russia anymore without wanting to die. As usual, this is fiction and I do not endorse any ideas described herein.
Hmmm. Svalbard has its own Exclusive Economic Zone here. Was that on the basemap? I suppose it may make a degree of sense, depending on certain treaties over the status of the islands, but Wikipedia's map doesn't show them separate.
Since my last map kinda got out of hand, here's a less controversial map of a Sino-Soviet Union scenario:View attachment 473201
There is some potential to make interesting things here, but it needs a bit of work. Namely by not giving Lithuania Kalingrad (it can surely stay Russian or be a different type of oblast or SSR, given how Germans would presumably have been expelled), showing the various ASSRs that would have been in Romania, explaining the Korean SSR north a bit, more with the Mongols, maybe keep the Tuvans around, expanded Macedonia to the east and south, basically just don't have the Balkans be so OTL. The Soviets also seemed to only really make SSRs for border areas, even when there were millions upon millions of people in one area sharing he same culture. Almost like forming a wall. Not that that would help I suppose, but I feel when they expand some areas would gain more land bit by bit. The Kyrgyz and Tajiks might from the border areas in East Turkestan, while the Kazakh and Mongols were majorities in the north. Admittedly partially as Kazakhs went there to flee communism. I imagine this union would also almost require that China have at least a dozen SSRs as well as many ASSRs. The Russian population was apparently already getting a bit hesitant of the Soviet Union's future near the end when they started to be the plurality group rather than the majority group. You have Bahrain and Qatar in the UAE? A fun thing we don't see enough of.

Following the stalemate of the Great War, the Great Powers of Europe met in Paris to negotiate a peace agreement in January of 1919. When it came to Africa, several issues needed to be resolved. Germany used its leverage (its control of Belgium) well - it successfully traded Belgium's independence for control over the Belgian Congo. It did not, however, recover South West Africa, although it was successfully able to reach an agreement with Britain whereby the two countries would administer the territory as a condominium. Its other African colonies were returned to it.

Screenshot_2019-07-20-13-37-52.png

Africa in 1921. Orange indicates Portuguese colonies, blue indicates British colonies, green indicates French colonies, red indicates Spanish colonies, tan indicates Italian colonies, and black indicates German colonies.

Status
Not open for further replies.