Under the Southern Cross We Stand

The largest cattle station in Australia (in South Australia) runs cows at about one per two square kilometers, close to about 400 acres per cow. A ranch in Florida with a similar number of cattle has them at about 10 acres per cow. The Outback is usable for extraordinarily low density pastoral activities, but the kind of intensive agriculture that can support endemic urban populations is impossible without significant irrigation.
Yes the biggest stations at up to almost ten thousand square miles is larger than Israel or the size of Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island combined.

It would be a source to increase the population however just how useful they would be is another question. if you wan to grow the colony you need doers and they (the aristocrates) alwmost certainly will lacking in basic farming skills
Yes but you also need administrators and at that time it was very easy to end up in a debtors prison.

Well watched! Not particularly familiar with Australian history, but I'm sure this will be of the same kind of quality as your last TL so I'll happily read along.

I have virtually no familiarity with Australian history so I am not sure what the impact of the change will be or how things will be different in this timeline. That being said, I really dont care and am interested in following along as I have read several of your other timelines/stories before and have always been impressed.

I have virtually no familiarity with Australian history so I am not sure what the impact of the change will be or how things will be different in this timeline. That being said, I really dont care and am interested in following along as I have read several of your other timelines/stories before and have always been impressed.

Agreed. Judging by his last three efforts (Rudolf, Errant Shell, Reluctant Fuhrer), I would probably enjoy a Johnboy TL about the history of the Sydney sewer and waste disposal systems (no that is not a request:)). Looking forward to learning more about Australian history.

1 October 1798, Rag and Bone Inn, Sydney, Colony of New South Wales

Areas such as Ireland could be focused upon, where the absence of pestiferous political rebels would be welcomed. If more numbers could not be obtained, then other alternatives would have to be looked at,

View attachment 470524
Apart from said pestiferous rebels, don't overlook the fact that TL is only 52 years after Culloden and well into the end of the first phase of the Highland Clearances. An earlier offer of assisted passages from the Scottish ports would almost certainly be oversubscribed. IOTL many landlords actually paid for these migrant passages so external, additional sources of finance would inevitably result in more migrants - many skilled in sheep farming, general agriculture, timber extraction, fishing and quarrying. These migrants would surely be more welcome that the sweepings of the gaols, debtor prisons in England and Ireland?

Incidentally, subscribed and intrigued as my education sadly lacked any references to Australia other than sheep and dairy exports and the White Australia Policy

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
I'm watching, but already I feel the need of a map of the route (Great Western Highway A32?) and what it opens up. As far as Bullen Cullen and the coal mines? Some idea of how many days ride might help set the scale.

A further question: might the earlier discovery of the Blue Mountains lead to the earlier discovery of gold; if that happens around the end of the Napoleonic Wars, things will get interesting, methinks...

March 1804 - Rebellion
4 March 1804, Government House, Bridge Street, Sydney

Captain Philip Gidley King was furious. Why did they keep foisting these Irish bastards on him here? This was the inevitable result of such actions. The 1798 rebellions in Ireland had produced many men and a few women who had been subsequently transported as exiles- most without any trial to the Colony of New South Wales from late 1799 to 1802. Had he not performed virtual miracles? Confirmed as Governor of not only New South Wales and New Zealand, he had added Britania, now named New Caledonia to his list of Governorships, where some 'blackbirding' had taken place to fill the need for manual labourers in Sydney, although had been solved to some degree by the arrival of the pestiferous Irish. Norfolk Island had been settled.

He had dispatched Bowen to Risdon Cove and the troublesome William Patterson to Port Dalrymple, creating new settlements in both locations. Patterson was man who did not look upon with favour any accommodations with the natives, yet King himself had been able to negotiate a tentative agreement based on a holding line at Prospect. It must be admitted that things to the West in the Blue Mountains were more problematic, with native depredations more common but none the less he had founded the settlement of Bathurst, the town now featuring two commodious inns and many favourable and grants had been made that had served to shore up his own position and popularity.

The colony was doing well and had expanded to a population of more than 5,000, with another 1,500 scattered in other settlements. More people were arriving from London every month or two, not all of them now convicts. Flinders circumnavigation confirmed what many had expected, that this land was truely vast. He had started construction of Fort Philip, laid out streets, had even assisted in the publication of a newspaper. Now his reward was this, an Irish convict uprising.

On the evening of 4th March 1804, Phillip Cunningham, a veteran of the 1798 Irish rebellion, activated the plan to gather weapons, ammunition, food and recruits from local supporters and the government farm at Castle Hill. Things had developed rapidly and King was forced to rely on an officer he had little time for, Major George Johnston, who had replaced Patterson as commander of the New South Wales Corps. Johnson had already been sent home to London once for paying his men in rum in direct contravention of orders, only to return like a bad penny with assistance from patrons.

With Cunningham leading, about 200 to 300 rebels broke into the Government Farm's buildings, taking firearms, ammunition, and other weapons. The constables and overseers were overpowered and the rebels then went from farm to farm on their way to Constitution Hill at Parramatta, seizing more weapons and supplies including rum and spirits, and recruiting others to join their cause. King had to give Johnson his due, he had reacted quickly and called out the guard as well as enacting Marshal Law. Neither had Cunningham been idle. His followers had elected him "King of the Australian Empire" and decided to march on Government House. It was a grave mistake as this was where Johnson';s forces were strongest. Some 70 armed civilians and fully 45 Redcoats rapidly showed the untrained and ill equipped rebels what trained soldiers were capable of, routing the rebels, killing 25 and capturing some 21 more. Some men slipped back to their assignments, or at least tried to, others simply dispersed and awaited capture.

Cunningham, however, was made of sterner stuff. Some 13 days later, using the new road built in 1802 to link the two settlements, he appeared in Bathurst with all that remained of his force, some 59 men. However, this was enough to take the small town of Bathurst. He was able to hold the town from the 17th March until the 1st April, when Johnson arrived with some 72 Redcoats and reinforced by 29 armed settlers took back the town in the "Battle of Bennett's Barn" that saw some 13 more rebels killed, including Cunningham. With their "King" dead the rebels soon lost heart, seven slipping away to become bushrangers, the remainder surrendering themselves to their fate. With two Redcoats killed, it was to a brutal one. Two were subject to gibbeting. Ten more received either 200 or 500 lashes. The remainder were retained in irons until they could be "disposed of", eventually being sent to Norfolk Island into the harshest conditions imaginable.

Yet nothing could disguise the fact that it had been a significant scare to the Colonial Government and a challenge to their authority, as witnessed by some escaping into rowboats that first night and pleading to be let abroad ships at anchor. King himself had been shaken.

Last edited:
Well, well, the Castle Hill rebellion, or at least a alternate version of it. This is a interesting step to take in the story. Hopefully, it will be prove significant.

Well, wonder what will happen next...

Methinks that, when the Irish Potato Famine rolls around, more Irish emigrants will go to Australia than OTL; granted, most of them will still go to the US, IMO, given how it's a trip across the ocean...

Wonder when the gold will be discovered; moving it up to the end of the Napoleonic Wars will help increase Australia's population ITTL...

Last edited: