US demographic series 2.0

I have already made a map of percentage of italian ancestry in North East using 2011-2015 ACS data and adjusting data for non-respondent, if you need it.
I won't, but thanks for the offer.

Also, I'm noticing that the number of people (white people, anyway) who know their own ancestry is rapidly shrinking in the US. In 2009, just under 50 million Americans chose American or Unknown as their ancestry. As of 2015, that number has risen to 67 million. In that same time frame, the number of self-reported Scotch-Irish Americans has decreased 43%, English-Americans have decreased 12%, German-Americans have decreased 9%, and Polish-Americans and Irish-Americans have decreased 8%.

At the same time, there were increases in Sub-Saharan Africans who knew their ancestry, all Hispanic and Asian categories, and "other groups".

Last edited:
My progress so far, featuring no title, an incomplete key and three incomplete maps.

IFSDdyf.png

Interestingly, 6 different downs in Monroe County, NY have different top ancestries in 2009 and 2015.

Another update, with Vermont, New York, and parts of Pennsylvania (which has over 2500 townships, nearly 1000 more than the next-largest state on this map) added.

In addition to the expected major ethnic groups (Italians, Irish, Poles, etc.) There is one Dutch town in New York, one Hungarian town in New York, and one Slovak town in Pennsylvania.

mDzGgw7.png

I'm going to scrap this map for a number of reasons.

The first reason is the map I'm using, which was assembled from shapefiles by @Chicxulub and contained ugly borders and missing towns. I planned on fixing the errors as I went along, but they are so numerous and time-consuming to fix that I don't see the point now.

The second reason is the uniformity of the map once I got west of the Philadelphia suburbs. 90% of the towns left in PA were German, and almost everything west of that was German or Scandinavian, with pockets of other groups around big cities. If the map isn't going to say much more than a county map, why bother?

The third reason is the uselessness of the ACS data. The ethnic origin surveys are separated by race and use different methodologies, which results in biases towards Hispanics, African-Americans, and Native Americans, and against Whites and Asians. On top of that, in many small towns, the population of every group falls within its own margin of error.

The fourth reason is the diminishing number of Americans who know their own ancestry.'

However, I always have the 2000 ancestry question from the census form to fall back on, which suffers from being outdated but is both far more accurate and precise. I will use this data and follow @FrankCesco's request for a map of the northeast using @VT45's map, then produce a nationwide county map with my methodology and call it quits with this.

VT45

Banned
It'd be interesting to see what the largest ethnic identity is besides "American" in those "American" counties. Especially since most people don't consider American to be an ethnicity.

It'd be interesting to see what the largest ethnic identity is besides "American" in those "American" counties. Especially since most people don't consider American to be an ethnicity.
In most of them, British. German, African-American, Mexican, and (in Louisiana) French were also second in a few.

VT45

Banned
That's about what I thought.

Is there any comparable data for the 2010 census? I know it didn't outright ask ethnicity in 2010, but there's got to be something.

ZflyQuf.png

I'm reviving this thread to add some more demographic maps. Here's my latest creation, a religious map of the United States in 1890.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I'm reviving this thread to add some more demographic maps. Here's my latest creation, a religious map of the United States in 1890.

No, actually, you aren't. DO NOT click through the dead thread box again.

%^$#@@@@

You're the OP?

When why did someone report...

Never mind.

Last edited: