Which countries do you want this thread to cover next? (Vote thrice)

• Britain

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • France

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Germany

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • China

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Brazil

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Spain

• Russia (imperial)

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Canada

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Frankia

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Visigoth Kingdom

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Japan

• Korea

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • India (Any iteration)

• Indonesia, Srivijaya or Majapahit

• Persia (ancient)

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Persia/Iran (Muslim)

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Sweden

• Egypt (Pre Ottoman)

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Egypt (Post Ottoman)

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • IDK... um... SERBIA (I know the selection is really random)

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There have been a few threads looking at the biggest possible version of one country. Here, I want to do that for a lot of countries (so that the thread can potentially keep going for longer).

The way it works is we start off with one country, for no reason in particular, let's say the USA. People discuss how big it can reasonably get & then we move on to the next country once a sort of consensus is reached.

Got it? We're starting off with
"WHAT IS THE BIGGEST THE USA CAN REASONABLY BE FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME?"

Limitations (what I mean by reasonable):
  • Sustainable - The state must be able to hold onto the territory for a considerable amount of time. With the right leaders & situation, any larger country in Europe can take control of the continent, but it can't keep it.
  • Recognizable - Don't let the country expand so much/absorb so many more other cultures than OTL that it becomes culturally/socially unrecognizable
  • We're talking about the sustainable territory of the Nation, meaning while you can take colonial success into account, it is not the focus (think how the island of Britain is seen as being integral to the UK while Canada was always seen as separate). This does not just mean extend the heartland though (Manchuria is universally seen as Chinese but is not necessarily part of the Chinese heartland). You kind of catch my drift?
  • Plausible - duh, the rest of the criteria already include this but I can't stress it enough.
  • size - obviously it should be larger than that country's peak peacetime border (wartime occupation does not count)
  • Assume OTL conditions up to the nation's establishment

Rules about maps:

Maps would be the ideal way to show what you think the biggest reasonable territory would be but you can post descriptions of the territories you think the country could realistically hold, and when/if we reach a consensus, I or someone else can make a map. if we ever get a few finished maps, I might compile them somewhere.

The poll:

The next few countries will be determined by their rank in the poll above. If that ever runs dry I'm sure we'll figure something out. Voting is open for a year, don't be late.

Other:

If this is trash, tell me that gently, if the thread needs to move, I would like to ask our great leaders to do so.

That's it... I think...

United States:
  • Starting with the Pacific: once you have Hawaii, you can go on to take the Micronesian islands as well. This could include Guam, Marianas, Marshall islands and possibly Kiribati. This area could be seen as a territory or just added to the state of Hawaii.
  • South: I see no reasonable way how to push the southern borders of the USA without compromising its identity-with the exception k Baja California, possibly Sonora y Sinaloa.
  • Caribbean: possible candidates for expansion could be Bahamas and other Anglo-influenced islands.
  • North: British Columbia, or Oregon country is a big candidate. By extension, this would mean also Yukon territory, and a land route to Alaska. In some scenarios, I can imagine Ontaria being part of the USA, as well as New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.
  • Unlikely is US Qubec and Newfoundland and Labrador being part of the USA, due to close connections to UK and France.
  • The Prairie provinces may or may not be included, if so, then its certain that Northwest Territory and Nunavut be included
  • If Puerto Rico can be American, why not Jamaica or Belize?