WI: Constantine Angelos successfully overthrows his cousin Isaac II Angelos in 1193?

IOTL, Constantine Angelos was a successful military leader who led the Byzantines to a strong of important victories against the Vlachs and Bulgars. He was going to attempt to overthrow his ineffective cousin, Isaac II, but was betrayed by several of his officers on his way to Adrianople.

What if his officers had remained loyal to him and he had successfully overthrown his cousin in 1193?

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Actually having an effective Angelos on the throne? Super ASB since the universe will prevent it from happening some other way.

More seriously, if the Rhomans can get even three or four effective leaders, particularly in a way that doesn't lead to a sack of Constantinople and break down of Imperial rule, then they might be able to more effectively take advantage of the devastation the Mongols did on the Bulgarian and Turkish states.

Actually having an effective Angelos on the throne? Super ASB since the universe will prevent it from happening some other way.

More seriously, if the Rhomans can get even three or four effective leaders, particularly in a way that doesn't lead to a sack of Constantinople and break down of Imperial rule, then they might be able to more effectively take advantage of the devastation the Mongols did on the Bulgarian and Turkish states.

If Constantine were able to reverse Isaac II and Andronikos’s mistakes, that would definitely go a long way toward helping the empire.

What about a potential spouse?

Deleted member 67076

Literally anyone over Isaac is a major improvement. Especially a competent, military minded man with experience.

9 years until OTL's sack of Constantinople. It all depends on how quickly he can consolidate his rule. Perhaps the deposed branch of the dynasty become pawns in a Venetian scheme where they're intended to be restored as puppet rulers. Create an external threat and butterfly away an internal one, these guys will suddenly become the most despised people in the entire Empire.

I mean, if there was a competent military man in charge, I doubt the Crusaders would be able to so easily sack the place. And I doubt the deposed angeloi would be able to escape, most likely get tonsured and forced into monasteries.

Marc

Donor
IOTL, Constantine Angelos was a successful military leader who led the Byzantines to a strong of important victories against the Vlachs and Bulgars. He was going to attempt to overthrow his ineffective cousin, Isaac II, but was betrayed by several of his officers on his way to Adrianople.

What if his officers had remained loyal to him and he had successfully overthrown his cousin in 1193?

I assume that you are referring to Constantine Angelos Doukas?
If so, you can suppose just about anything as initial conditions for him, since he is largely a non-entity (slim references that are half-way reliable).
However, this is isn't a period of more than self-serving, not very capable, aristocrats craving their chances, the social culture has started to finally, irreparably, start to rot out - sad, but arguably true

Last edited:
I assume that you are referring to Constantine Angelos Doukas?
If so, you can suppose just about anything as initial conditions for him, since he is largely a non-entity (slim references that are half-way reliable).
However, this is isn't a period of more than self-serving, not very capable, aristocrats craving their chances, the social culture has started to finally, irreparably, start to rot out - sad, but arguably true

So even if he overthrew his inadequate family members, he would still have a host of problems to face.