Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean it's functionally identical to some frothing nonsense from 2004, it's just very weird to see the same tired old "Nuke Mecca" nonsense 18 years after the fact.

It's not as widespread as it was while the wounds were still raw, but there's still a big audience for this stuff. Islamophobia remains a valued stock in trade, and is briskly flogged online by such popular right-wing edgelords as Ben Shapiro and his ilk.

Untitled.png

Here's a map of 1910 I kind of threw together without a specific POD in mind. It was mostly to experiment with some ideas for future maps.

Here's a map of 1910 I kind of threw together without a specific POD in mind. It was mostly to experiment with some ideas for future maps.

Nice. Is that French Kyushu? And is that an independent Baluchistan acting as a buffer between British India and Better Persia?

I'd second this, but French Kyushu of all thing's is the first and foremost issue driving me insane; comparatively Russian Ezo leaves a pleasantly divergent taste in my mouth, it even moves me to imagine that the Ainu would fare better without the ethnic assimilation programs. French Kyushu makes me outright hopeful and open to accept the validity and plausibility of a Russian Hokkaido; As does British Yokohama.

Otherwise the map is actually pretty great, I enjoy the look of Ethiopia especially.

I'd second this, but French Kyushu of all thing's is the first and foremost issue driving me insane; comparatively Russian Ezo leaves a pleasantly divergent taste in my mouth, it even moves me to imagine that the Ainu would fare better without the ethnic assimilation programs. French Kyushu makes me outright hopeful and open to accept the validity and plausibility of a Russian Hokkaido; As does British Yokohama.

Otherwise the map is actually pretty great, I enjoy the look of Ethiopia especially.
I would prefer an Ainu-controlled independent Sakhalin + Hokkaido, though.

I would prefer an Ainu-controlled independent Sakhalin + Hokkaido, though.
While that would be ideal, it's probably not very plausible. However that said, the Ainu never made up a majority of Sakhalin's population, with two other nations, the Nivkh and Orok living alongside them. I'd fancy to guess that the Nivkh probably comprised the larger element of the three, It's very likely that Ainu practices such as the Bear Festival are results of contact with such groups. That said I'd have to be guessing on the numbers game, there aren't really any reliable demographics for the time, but the other groups did set themselves up before the Ainu, and Sakhalin Ainu often tend to differ physically from Hokkaido Ainu, mostly regarding similarities with the Orok and Nivkh.

Last edited:
Well ladies and gentlemen, we seem to finally be approaching Map Thread XIX

Also, here’s a tiny map I made just because I wanted to test drawing a pixel flag:

D2BE6937-3728-424A-9D67-4973B8799A84.png

Last edited:
IIRC it was a conservative newspaper columnist writing about a 9/11 where Al-Qaeda used nukes, and George Bush immediately nuking all of Islam in retaliation. I believe re-education/conversion camps for Muslims were included.

With that said, these types of TLs are pretty common islamophobic revenge fantasies. It's so weird: They make up a scenario where someone they don't like does something far worse than what they ever actually did, and then act as though this justifies an absurdly disproportionate real-life response.

Timelines like those ought to end with "And then the entire UN clapped and every non-American there burned their passport and applied for US citizenship, then they voted to make GWB World President for Life, and also a bald eagle named Freedom flew into the room and clawed out the North Korean ambassador's eyes. Half the countries in the world petitioned to join the US, dismantled their parasitic welfare systems, and converted to Southern Baptist, and the other half got nuked in the Holy World War ten years later. Semper Fi." It would be about as realistic.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that Al-Qaeda didn't use nukes- it was just the OTL 9/11- but the writer had nukes used in their revenge fantasy. Also Nationalist China began taking parts of the Mainland, the EU collapsed, Putin's Russia conquered Kazakhstan, and Israel committed mass ethnic cleansing against the Palestinians, and many surviving Muslims converted to Christianity because the nuclear destruction of Mecca proved their religion false.

Either way it was utter bullshit.

I'm pretty sure that Al-Qaeda didn't use nukes- it was just the OTL 9/11- but the writer had nukes used in their revenge fantasy. Also Nationalist China began taking parts of the Mainland, the EU collapsed, Putin's Russia conquered Kazakhstan, and Israel committed mass ethnic cleansing against the Palestinians, and many surviving Muslims converted to Christianity because the nuclear destruction of Mecca proved their religion false.

Either way it was utter bullshit.

We might be thinking of different, but broadly similar, right-wing revenge fantasies, because the one I'm thinking of definitely had about a dozen nuclear devices detonate at cities across the US.

My idea of how Ancient Avarian could (more or less) survive until today AND how we could have an Ugric Illyria. Hope You enjoy it.

20190628 Republic of Avary.png

Arbázskaszter = Banja Luka
Tergesta = Triest
Zságörb = Zagreb
Áluvéna = Ljubljana
Mürsza = Osijek
Boznavár = Sarajevo
Jígyam = Mostar

Status
Not open for further replies.