The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

I’m honestly wondering about the new political Party situation,I doubt the Progessives will be able to get any where politically but I have a hard time imaging that all the new Democratic defectors will intergrate especilly well into the Republican Party.

Remember, political polarization wasn't as bad as it is today. The GOP under Patton could still remain a centrist party that pursues left-wing policies.

So died the Democratic party, the KKK got its own far right movement and the left went totally commie (and antisemitic). Interestingly to see how TTL America just became a multi-party nation. Only, there is a overpowered Republican party and a Freedom party which will cling in Dixieland. I don't think it would end in a second Civil War but the 50's and then the 60's would be very tense in the South.

Heh, I should have guessed Benny would have tried to pull his own stunt after the death of Vittorio Emanuele III. If else due to a personal sense of feeling invincible that might have convinced him to act unpunished. Even if Ciano didn't block him, the armed forces, the Church, the industrialists, even part of his party (just think of the ones being made nobles till then), would have raised their own shield. I am not surprised about Portugal - as usual keeping a feet in two shoes. Why staying only with the fascists when the special bond with Britain could be still useful?

Still I don't see him skipping the coronation ceremony. He would have made good face in a bad game. He should be aware enough of the risk a division between crown and the leader of the fascist world would give outside and inside the nation.

Well, we all knew it would likely happen, but the Imperial restoration in Germany would surely throw Stalin into a tantrum. But at least they couldn't do nothing.

Einstein president of Israel, well, is a very good choice, to keep the nation stable and democratic.

Remember, political polarization wasn't as bad as it is today. The GOP under Patton could still remain a centrist party that pursues left-wing policies.
Problem being you have lots of Conservatives in the Party, Conservatives who won’t want expansion of the New Deal, heck May want to cut down on it, with the new liberals who would want it expanded. That does not seem to me to be a very good way to run things internally for a party

Problem being you have lots of Conservatives in the Party, Conservatives who won’t want expansion of the New Deal, heck May want to cut down on it, with the new liberals who would want it expanded. That does not seem to me to be a very good way to run things internally for a party
The New Deal is most likely political poison ITTL. Unless Patton personally intervenes, there could easily be a political consensus that the New Deal was a commie plot that turned a cyclical recession into the Great Depression, stifling the American economy until it was reforged in the fires of WWII. Social Security probably survives, since people are invested in it, but even that isn't a sure thing. The rest of the New Deal is on even thinner ice.

The Republicans aren't going to be able to maintain their position forever, whether their loss of support takes the form of a dramatic split or a gradual post-Reconstruction style erosion. The well known Democrat headline items, though, are going to be tainted by their association with Wallace and need to be reformulated before they can be presented to the public in a new guise.

Even if the new deal is mostly dismantled there was several programs that were popular among both Democrats and Republicans. Social Security was one of the programs that had support from both sides of the political arena.

Even if the new deal is mostly dismantled there was several programs that were popular among both Democrats and Republicans. Social Security was one of the programs that had support from both sides of the political arena.
The thing is most of the New Deal programs only lasted a few years. The only ones that were still active by this time I listed below:
  • Abandonment of gold standard, 1933: gold reserves no longer backed currency; still exists.
  • Homeowners Loan Corporation (HOLC): helped people keep their homes, the government bought properties from the bank allowing people to pay the government instead of the banks in installments they could afford, keeping people in their homes and banks afloat.
  • Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), 1933: effort to modernize very poor region (most of Tennessee), centered on dams that generated electricity on the Tennessee River; still exists.
  • Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC): insures bank deposits and supervises state banks; still exists.
  • Glass–Steagall Act: regulates investment banking; repealed 1999
  • Securities Act of 1933, created the SEC, 1933: codified standards for sale and purchase of stock, required awareness of investments to be accurately disclosed; still exists.
  • Social Security Act (SSA), 1935: provided financial assistance to: elderly, handicapped, paid for by employee and employer payroll contributions; required 7 years contributions, so first payouts were in 1942; still exists.
  • National Labor Relations Act (NLRA); Wagner Act, 1935: set up National Labor Relations Board to supervise labor-management relations; In the 1930s, it strongly favored labor unions. Modified by the Taft-Hartley Act(1947); still exist
  • Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC), 1938: insures crops and livestock against loss of production or revenue. Was restructured during the creation of the Risk Management Agency in 1996 but continues to exist.
  • Surplus Commodities Program (1936): gives away food to poor; still exists as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
  • Fair Labor Standards Act 1938: established a maximum normal work week of 44 hours and a minimum wage of 40 cents/hour and outlawed most forms of child labor; still exists, hours have been lowered to 40 hours over the years.
  • Rural Electrification Administration (REA): one of the federal executive departments of the United States government charged with providing public utilities (electricity, telephone, water, sewer) to rural areas in the U.S. via public-private partnerships. still exists.
  • Farm Security Administration (FSA): helped poor farmers by a variety of economic and educational programs; some programs still exists as part of the Farmers Home Administration.
As you can see most of these are pretty useful. I expect FDR to have a very controversial history.

I do wonder what this timeline could mean in the medium to long term for other states in the Catholic world, such as in Latin America.

We Brave Few: Europe 1945-1949 by Abraham Ferguson
While the new interest in Kings had certainly been inspired by reactionary backlash against Communism, it was not exclusively for that reason that Monarchy returned to vogue in the Europe of the 1940s. One reason was that it was seen as a great way of ensuring the continued direction of the state. The example from America had shown how suddenly a Republic could radically shift gears. It was felt that a monarchy could serve as a backup to ensure a successor could not suddenly change a country overnight and dramatically upset the geopolitical picture. As the model of bringing back the Monarchy had worked well in establishing order back to Croatia and Hungary, the example soon spread to the neighboring states of Europe.

A wider return to monarchy! Why is a timeline about successful fascists so full of nice things?

In Portugal, the Royals had been banished since the 1910 Revolution, but Salazar was interested in furthering Portugal’s international reputation as the ‘most presentable nation’ (in his own words, with reference to the West) of the Roman Alliance. He believed that if he brought back the Monarchy, it would defang some of the poison attached to Portugal’s reputation by not having the state entirely beholden to a single dictator (though it would remain in practice). It also fit in well with the Traditionalism he wanted to bring to the Portuguese Empire, not to mention his belief that a King would be a unifying symbol to the Portuguese settlers in Africa like the English had for their own. Duarte Nuno was the successor, who had successfully married Princess Maria Francisca, thus uniting warring branches of the Portugese Royalty – this would be an advantageous move. Ultimately, it was decided that the ailing President Carmona would step down in 1949. The National Assembly repealed the laws of exile, and in what was perhaps the most stamp of Salazar’s authority, he put the date of coronation on October 5th, the date of the 1910 revolution. Portugal was now a Constitutional Monarchy, under King Duarte (Edward) II.

Do the Portugese return in some respect to their pre-revolutionary flag? The red and green were the revolutionary colours still. Green was at least a secondary national colour in Portugal for a while though, so maybe a blue-white-green tricolour, with the coat of arms, armillary sphere and crown in the middle, on the white, or on the border of the first colour and white? Also, red is the colour of communism, I can see them not wanting to include that any more than is already present on the coat of arms.

In Germany, with the ascension of Martin to the US Presidency, the Western occupiers finally united West Germany under a single, consistent policy. With fear of the Soviets at fever-pitch, the belief was that Germany had to be rebuilt to deal with the threat. To that end, bad feeling from World War I aside, appointing a Kaiser was considered a great way to stop any one dictator from grabbing hold of power for themselves, thus keeping another madman from taking over Germany. Mussolini was fine with this, though the Soviets naturally lambasted it as if Hitler himself had been reappointed. Due to his friendliness to the West, connections in America and generally liberal demeanor, Louis Ferdinand was given the role. On November 3rd 1949, Aachen Cathedral greeted the Coronation of Ferdinand V, thus re-establishing the Hohenzollern Dynasty on the European Continent.

Meh. The Hohenzollerns had shot their bolt. Louis Ferdinand might be a decent sort, but he had a close relative who was rather pro-nazi and a few kin who fought for them. This move would be massively unpopular in Britain and France. Germany had plenty of royal families to choose from.

It's also nice to see Einstein successfully steer Isreael away from committing wholly to the fascist cause here. Frankly, the Lehi would probably have caused - may indeed still cause - a conflict with Turkey, which would rather screw Israel over as the RA is not about to attack it's second strongest member without an exceptionally good cause.

As for the USA - with the Republicans so powerful and the 'Freedom party' only due to decline in the future, I can definitely see the GOP fracture at some point if it remains totally in control for too long.

Last edited:
Since monarchies are becoming more popular in Europe as a symbol of anti-communism, does that mean that France might actually restore their monarchy? Since Spain, Germany, Hungary, Portugal, and Croatia have already restored their monarchies and monarchism has become more popular in Europe, it looks like the Bourbons and Bonapartes may have a really good opportunity here to press their claims for the French throne. I have no idea if they will actually succeed in this endeavor, but it seems plausible for sucn an event to occur given the current circumstances.

Since monarchies are becoming more popular in Europe as a symbol of anti-communism, does that mean that France might actually restore their monarchy? Since Spain, Germany, Hungary, Portugal, and Croatia have already restored their monarchies and monarchism has become more popular in Europe, it looks like the Bourbons and Bonapartes may have a really good opportunity here to press their claims for the French throne. I have no idea if they will actually succeed in this endeavor, but it seems plausible for sucn an event to occur given the current circumstances.

Highly unlikely. The restored crowns here are coming from monarchies abolished within fifty years. The Bourbons have been gone a century and nearly eighty years for the Bonapartes. Aside from general loyalty to the republic there would be divisions likely over which heir. Aside from houses, whether it should go to the best qualified(subjective) or the next in line by the old rules for instance.

So while I think the monarchist groups will get a fine shot in the arm, I expect it to be like so: they gain enough to be noticed and worry some but ultimately peak as a third party and gradually decline as the wave subsides. And their period of increased relevance will just be a quirk of the era likely little remembered outside France save for peopel interested in the subject of monarchism.

Are the Wittselbachs back too?

Still I don't see him skipping the coronation ceremony. He would have made good face in a bad game. He should be aware enough of the risk a division between crown and the leader of the fascist world would give outside and inside the nation.

Upon reflection, you're right. Changed.

Very unlikely. France has been already long time been strictly republican nation and last monarch wa<s ousted nearby 80 years ago. There is not any strong monarchist movements. And problem is that there is three rivalring claiamants so it would bring problems. Other monarchies had abolished their own monarchies much later and there was still strong memories about monarchy and republicanism wasn't yet very strong. Portugal abolished its monarchy in 1910, Germany and Hungary at end of WW1 and Spain in 1930.

I agree with the other poster about timeliness but an even bigger obstacle for restoration in France is De Gaulle

I'm not sure if this was discussed much: What ultimately did become of Italian-occupied Ethiopia?

EDIT: Ethiopia has at the time a significant Jewish community (Beta Israel). Did this factor into Italian plans in any way? I wonder if any enlisted in the war: The Nazis would be absolutely livid at the sight of African Jews fighting them.

Work in progress. The place is relatively quiet for now, though the Ethopians are certainly not happy with the Italians (though they prefer Italian troops to the even crueller Eritrean and Somalian troops, who have centuries of tribal hatred against them). Ironically, Italy often uses these African troops to make the occupation seem gentler to the West.

The Ethiopian Jews caused much debate in Israel about whether they were Jews or not. Ultimately, with Einstein's public support and Mussolini's private support (in wanting less natives in the country to increase the relative power of the settlers) things are looking good for the Beta Israelis (certainly better than the events of OTL). With Jordan being integrated into Israel, the Israelis need everyone they can get. A handful fought for the Anglo-Jewish army - nothing crazy.

Last edited:

I agree with the other poster about timeliness but an even bigger obstacle for restoration in France is De Gaulle

True. On the other hand, supposedly de Gaulle called in the Bourbon-Orléans claimant, Henri Comte de Paris, and said, «Soit prêt.» ["Get ready."]

So what would happen to the British Raj ITTL?

The Raj is probably still divided to Muslim and Hindu nations. It was already quiet inevitable since 1930's. India and Pakistan are probably dominions longer than in OTL when Churchill is till prime minister. Future bit too depends is Gandhi still assassinated or not.