WI: More Children of Maximilian I?

I'm intrigued by the potential consequences of Maximilian I and Mary the Rich having other children. What kind of possible marriage proposals could this open up? I'd thought Elizabeth of Denmark could make an interesting choice for an ATL younger brother of Philip the Fair, among other possibilities.

@Jan Olbracht @Kellan Sullivan @isabella

Last edited:
So Mary lives longer? If Max has lots of daughters he would not urge Margaret to remarry (so Duke of Savoy could have different wife). Extra daughter of Max could also marry Henry VII (IOTL Margaret was considered as candidate for H7's second wife, but twice widowed Margaret was not willing to marry again). One of Maximilian's daughters could also marry Christian of Denmark (so Christian could have wife closer to his age and could marry earlier) and/or Vladislaus of Hungary.

So Mary lives longer? If Max has lots of daughters he would not urge Margaret to remarry (so Duke of Savoy could have different wife). Extra daughter of Max could also marry Henry VII (IOTL Margaret was considered as candidate for H7's second wife, but twice widowed Margaret was not willing to marry again). One of Maximilian's daughters could also marry Christian of Denmark (so Christian could have wife closer to his age and could marry earlier) and/or Vladislaus of Hungary.

Margaret could remarry to the Duke of Saxony instead in this case since he does not care if this marriage would produce children as he died iotl childless.

Potential kid list for Mary & Maximilian:
  1. Philip (1478 - 1506)
  2. Margaret (1480 - 1530)
  3. Francis (1481)
  4. Mary (1483 - 1543)
  5. Frederick (1486- 1517)
  6. Eleanor (1488 - 1518)

What about Max and Mary having really big family? My proposition:

1) Philip (1478-1506) m. Joanna of Castile
2) Margaret (1480-1530) m. a) John Trastsmara b) Philibert of Savoy
3) Francis (1481)
4) Eleanor (b. 1483) m. Henry VII, King of England
5) Mary (b. 1485) m. Vladislaus II, King of Bohemia and Hungary
6) Frederick IV (b. 1486) Holy Roman Emperor, m. Elizabeth of Denmark
7) Charles (1488-1490)
8) Kunigunde (b. 1492) m. William IV of Bavaria
9) Agnes (b. 1494) m. Christian II of Denmark

Yes, should have made that clear.

Having more Habsburgs than just Philip the Fair's children could mean trouble once the Reformation gets going should one or two convert.
Pretty unlikely any of them will convert.

3) Francis (1481)
7) Charles (1488-1490)

Interesting but I would like better Max having another son and maybe daughters by Bianca Maria Sforza so that son (likely called Frederick) would became Emperor after his father inheriting Austria and marrying Anna of Bohemia and Hungary (after Charles refuted to marry her).

Pretty unlikely any of them will convert.
At least some of this depends on if the Habsburgs still rule Spain, which IOTL, required all the right people to die at the right times.

Two of the imperial electors (Electoral Saxony and the Palatinate) had converted by the 1530s, and Bohemia may reject a Catholic ruler if they get too pushy. If Bavaria-Landshut survives along with Bavaria-Munich, one could convert while the other doesn't. If the Schmalkaldic League proves anything, it's that the combined efforts of the Protestant princes could certainly give the Emperor pause.

3) Francis (1481)
7) Charles (1488-1490)
This is a really nice list - though I wonder if Elizabeth of Denmark's Lutheran sympathies could affect Frederick. Which of the previous Habsburgs was named Agnes?

Mary's grandmother was named Agnes, so that name could appear among her children too. BTW which previous Habsburg was named Francis? Names were not always given after ancestors.
I think Francis may have been the first Habsburg of that name, though I'm not sure.

In addition, it seems some were named after their Burgundian relations - Philip the Fair for Philip the Good and Charles V for Charles the Bold (at least I think).

I think Francis may have been the first Habsburg of that name, though I'm not sure.

In addition, it seems some were named after their Burgundian relations - Philip the Fair for Philip the Good and Charles V for Charles the Bold (at least I think).
Yes. Philip the Fair had a Burgundian name but also Margaret was named after her maternal step-grandmother so would be pretty logical if also Francis had a Burgundian name.
Charles V was named without doubt after Charles the Bold, and about his siblings: Eleanor was named after Maximilian’s Portuguese mother, Ferdinand after his Spanish maternal grandfather, Isabella after her Spanish maternal grandmother, Mary after her Burgundian grandmother (and Spanish aunt) and Catalina was a Spanish name (and a Spanish aunt).
So I can not see any Habsburg name between Maximilian’s OTL children and grandchildren.
Agnes is a name used in both France and Germany (and we have also three early Habsburg precedents for the name with the daughters of Rudolf of Germany, Albert I of Germany and Leopold I of Austria for it) so look totally fine to me