Proposed flags that were never adopted thread

A bunch of proposed flags for Finland. I am personally partial to 4, 5, and 17.

I think these are the best official proposals in this thread, but some of them are already taken. I like 13 and 1.

The NZ flag having some similarities to a handful of national flags (also territories and sometimes yacht clubs depending on how hard someone is grafting to make their point) has never struck me as a very compelling argument for change when near half the world’s flags are a variation of a triband and in which Liberia, America and Malaysia coexists.

Not to mention Romania and Chad, and Monaco, Indonesia and Poland.

And I never really understood this counterpoint, since the fact that something has happened before does not, in and of itself, justify it. Sure, there are precedents of flags being generic and easily confused for each other... which makes that less of a bad thing? :confused: On this site we often make fun of the US state flags with complex seals on blue fields and I have never heard of anyone trying to justify them just by pointing out, "well there are others, aren't there?", which I hope you agree would be a strange way to defend them.

I think precedents are only useful insofar as their observed consequences. I would say that these examples are not confused as often as the case of Australia and New Zealand anyway. The tribands have significant differences in colour and orientation. Liberia, the United States and Malaysia are also visibly distinct in their cantons even for an uninformed observer. The cases of Romania and Chad and Monaco and Indonesia are closer in design but rarely do we find contexts in which we encounter both countries at once. Australia and New Zealand do find themselves at the same contexts and the countries themselves are sometimes confused, so in practice we find their flags mixed up even at very official or professional levels.

Proponents of flag change cite the precedents of Canada and South Africa because the consequences (iconic, memorable and resonant flag designs) were positive, not just because it happened.

Liechtenstein once found out that they had an identical flag to Haiti at the Olympics and adjusted their flag accordingly. They seem to think the way that I do.

^
I don't know about Poland and Indonesia but Romania and Chad have different shades of the same colors. Also there's a variant of the polish flag with a coat of arms on top of it which can used to differentiate it from the indonesian one if they have to be placed side by side.

Though if we're talking about having to fly all of the worlds flags at a event there is a way to differentiate the ones that look the same. Simply group them by region (i.e. Eurpean flags are placed separately from African ones) so you can determine which nation it belongs to from context.

I realise that only two of the finalist proposals in the New Zealand flag referendum have been posted on this thread. Here is the full lot. The first referendum asked voters to rank their preferences, so these are ranked from most preferred to least.

Silver Fern (Black, White and Blue) (1st of 5)
Since this one was ranked highest of the proposals, it then went head to head against the current flag in the second referendum. It got 43% of the vote and did not replace the current flag.

640px-NZ_flag_design_Silver_Fern_%28Black%2C_White_%26_Blue%29_by_Kyle_Lockwood.svg.png

Silver Fern (Red, White and Blue) (2nd of 5)

640px-NZ_flag_design_Silver_Fern_%28Red%2C_White_%26_Blue%29_by_Kyle_Lockwood.svg.png

Red Peak (3rd of 5)

640px-NZ_flag_design_Red_Peak_by_Aaron_Dustin.svg.png

Silver Fern (Black and White) (4th of 5)

640px-NZ_flag_design_Silver_Fern_%28Black_%26_White%29_by_Alofi_Kanter.svg.png

Koru (Black) (5th of 5)

640px-NZ_flag_design_Koru_%28Black%29_by_Andrew_Fyfe.svg.png

Last edited:
I love that flag, I wish the Kiwis would've adopted that instead of keeping their generic flag that 50 other countries and territories (almost) share (most notably Australia).
New Zealand finally decided they needed a new flag because it was causing problems in international rugby games after the first four beers.

Another bunch of proposed flag for Canada (there were over 3000 propositions)

CanFlag.png

EDIT: I personnaly like the beaver one, but maybe more stylized either in brown or gold

Last edited:
I actually like the design of the leaf in the last two at the bottom. Feels more structured than in the current flag.

A few of the many proposed flags for Fiji from a few years ago.
35.jpg
40.jpg
51.jpg
38.jpg
47.jpg
I do like the general theme, but blue on a different shade of blue feels a bit wonky.

Attachments

• 120px-Proposed_flag_of_Fiji_(2015;_design_51).svg.png
    120px-Proposed_flag_of_Fiji_(2015;_design_51).svg.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 228
When the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia became Serbia and Montenegro in 2003, this flag was proposed. It's basically a combination of the Serbian and Montenegrin regional flags that were in use at the time (i.e. upside-down Russian flags with varying shades of red and blue). In 2004 they both adopted radically different designs so this design was abandoned and they just kept using the 1990s flag (i.e. Yugoslav flag without the red star) until the country disbanded in 2006:

1000px-Proposed_flag_of_Serbia_and_Montenegro_%282003%29.svg.png

After South Africa left the Commonwealth in 1961, this flag (or something similar to it, this being a rough reconstruction) was suggested to replace the monarchist-era design:

h9ZNiiN.png

Koru (Black) (5th of 5)

Monkey butt!

Last edited: