The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

That was a great chapter! Though Israeli conquest of Jordan is insane to me. I predict a long occupation and insurgency ahead for Israel coupled with war crimes and human rights violations.

Sounds like the old Mandate plus the whole of the Kingdom of Jordan is what Begin and company are shooting for.

That bit about consequences for Iraq makes me wonder if further down the line Begin's crew will go for Iraq and win because none of the other Arabs want, or are able, to step in to help.

I think instead of ethnic cleansing they may to to expel arab from their land. Still bad but less nazi like.

I agree expulsions will likely be the flavor of the day. But there will be blood in the doing no doubt.

I think Mussolini will actually be a supporter of the relatively lighter hand in that regard. They don't want another Pavelic style albatross around their neck after all. And the eyes of the world are on them here. The Turkish government also needs to be considered as partners in this endeavor; they are already taking a big risk here, I expect they will have drawn some lines going into this.

Also I think with this size there won't be any serious push for 100% Jewish populace or anything at the high levels. They will want a strong majority, but with this territory I think it will be accepted by nearly all the power players they will need room for others. So the tried method of winning over groups for divide and rule political strategy. Arab Christians would be one obvious target. Do the Druze have a presence in Jordan at this and would they be sway-able? Muslim minorities that have been getting a bad deal from their neighbors?

That bit about consequences for Iraq makes me wonder if further down the line Begin's crew will go for Iraq and win because none of the other Arabs want, or are able, to step in to help.

So Iraq I am guessing will get a flood of Jordanian refugees?

For those wondering why the Israelis are doing this:

1) The Revisionist Zionists are FAR more powerful than OTL. Communism is already discredited among Jews, the Jews who survived the Holocaust are disproportionately right-wing and there are way more Jews available to immigrate. The stated position of Revisionist Zionists was the total conquest of the Palestine-Transjordan area.

2) Because they have no one to stop them. OTL Israel stopped when it became clear anything more would be a slog - why risk everything when you’d be considered lucky just to get a state? Here, the Arab forces are divided and broken. The Soviets have forsaken them and the Israelis have the unlimited backing of Italy and Turkey, plus the support of America, British Empire and France. Conquering Jordan initially won’t be an issue. The only question is what to do afterwards, and how to manage the Arab backlash (which will make OTL look rosy.)

The events leading to the Second Arabian War are already in motion.

Last edited:
Any chance we could see an Arab Hitler taking over?

Well, the Arabs already have their Stab in the Back myth: ‘We only lost because of our cowardly, corrupt rulers! King Farouk gave up in three days! Syria gave up before one shell landed in Damascus! Iraq loved a foreign monarch more than the Arab people! If the Arab people were united under one flag and fought as one we would have beat the Jews easily!’

The Versailles is soon to come.

*cough* Saddam Hussein *cough*

He gets his dream to unite Arab World under his rule here... Maybe?

Born after POD I’m afraid. Though I’ll likely have to incorporate non-OTL figures soon, I wish to keep them to an absolute minimum.

As the TL goes into the 60s, things are going to have to get broader. The TL will end in the 80s with a brief description of the various fates of regions and nations to follow.

Born after POD I’m afraid. Though I’ll likely have to incorporate non-OTL figures soon, I wish to keep them to an absolute minimum.

As the TL goes into the 60s, things are going to have to get broader. The TL will end in the 80s with a brief description of the various fates of regions and nations to follow.

One person I would be very interested in is Michel Aflaq, one of, if not the leading Baathist thinker. At the present OTL, he would be leading the Baath Party in Syria with Salah al-Bitar.

It would be better if you continue towards the 2000s.

My schedule is utterly brutal in the coming months. I’m not out of the 1940s and I’m already near page 100. I will write as long as it gives me pleasure; writing fictional characters in this TL will not give me pleasure which is why I’m stopping where I will. The story will have concluded by then on a narrative level.

My schedule is utterly brutal in the coming months. I’m not out of the 1940s and I’m already near page 100. I will write as long as it gives me pleasure; writing fictional characters in this TL will not give me pleasure which is why I’m stopping where I will. The story will have concluded by then on a narrative level.

Sounds quite reasonable to me. Thank you for providing us with such a fine story.

I mean hell, I'd be happy to do a B_Munro style map set a generation or so from whatever the stop point may be (provided its not in the 90s or the dawn of the 21st century).