Furor Celticus: A Gallic Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad people like it. I spent a lot of time writing and rewriting chapter 12 and 13, trying to pick the most plausible outcome.

I had one version with Thurinus fleeing to Spain and continuing the fight, like a two-bits Sertorius, but I thought he would be too proud to abandon Rome. And I almost went with a power-mad Pompeius refusing to step down.

Part XIV: The Home Front
Part XIV: The Home Front

(Gaul, 25 BCE - 10 BCE)

There are no horizons that can’t be reached by a valiant heart. – Serra of Alesia.

During the Roman expedition, Vercingetorix and Edorix would made regular trip back to Nemossos: but has the war ramped up with the invasion of Italy, the home front was left to the care of a woman: Edorix’ sister Carantia. Married twice, widowed twice at age 30, she carried an unlucky reputation: her first husband died while hunting, at an unspecified date, and the son they had together drowned in a river. Her second husband died fighting in a skirmish in Aquitania in 23 BCE, and her surviving son nearly died from sickness at a young age. Her noble background gave access to an education from the best, including at least two foreign tutors who gave her a view past the Arverni world: one Marcus Sinicius, a Roman scholar in exile said to be on the run from massive debts south of the border, and an ‘escaped Greek slave-girl’ whose name has been lost from records. Armed with the necessary knowledge, Carantia elbowed her way up the ladder. Gallic noblewomen weren’t foreign to politics, and with the right backing, could accumulate considerable influence and power and claim clan chiefdom. They also had a long tradition of diplomacy and arbitrators: it was with women Hannibal negotiated his passage through Gaul during the second Punic war. Carantia was a king’s daughter, apparently with a strong and brash temperament: she inherited her father’s magnetism and ability to rouse a crowd with impassioned speeches, was decently skilled with a weapon, and driven with limitless energy: “[she] was inhabited by the raging fire of life and would not stand still or rest”.

There isn’t much records of her debuts, but the meeting with Corvinus in 22 BCE shows she had reached the innermost circle of power in just a few years. While this event could be interpreted as Vercingetorix dotting on her or messing with the head of a Roman envoy, she was still present at the Conglennos after that, representing her father in abstentia, showing he trusted in her judgement. Her primary task was to respond to day to day affairs and solicitations, and that sometime involved a military answer. She ordered an expedition in Aquitania, extracting tributes from the Ausci and Tarbelli. Serra notes that she imposed specifically harsh condition upon the Tarbelli, “holding them in contempt, for they caused her husband’s loss”.

18 BCE saw a Germanic migrating horde numbering in the 350,000 and containing around 110,000 combatants according to most estimations, washing over the eastern territories of the Sequani and Aedui. The Marcomanni, a nation of south west Germania, had swelled in numbers and spilled beyond the Rhine, pushing in front of them a loose confederation of Suebi, Tulingi, and Nemetes. Moving West, they burned their way through the Mednomatrici and Lingones, who appealed to their respective Treveri and Remi lieges for protection. But the sheer size of the German horde overwhelmed the defenders. In response to the threat, the Santone king Raucarios, appointed by the Conglennos while Vercingetorix was away at war, departed with an army to stop the invaders in the Seqanian land. With the majority of the Arverni crack troops fighting in Italy, Raucarios had to dip into the vast manpower reserve of the Arverni confederation. With a population estimated between 6.5 and 7.5 million, the Arverni and their dependents could muster hundreds of thousands of recruits, albeit modestly trained and armed. Three decades of improvement regarding logistics and organisation increased the speed of gathering to new highs: records dated from May 18 indicate 80,000 men were summoned by Raucarios in the space of a few months.

But this expedition was defeated after a series of clashes that left Vesontio in flames and Raucarios missing in action. At this point, Carantia stepped in, raising a new army on her own initiative, but the Arverni tribal council would refuse her this responsibility. She fought back by having the fates read by the Carnutes oracles of Cenabon, who confirmed that the gods of war still favoured the members of House Vercingetorix to defend their ancestral lands. Riding on popular support, Carantia accessed military leadership despite high scepticism from the ruling class; “And never a woman had wielded such might since the days of Hatchepsut”.

image.jpg

Identified bust of Carantia. (1)​

She took the fields with 65,000 men and a cadre of veterans from her father’s circle, joining the 50,000 or so from Raucarios’ army still able to fight. But rather than attacking the Germans head on, she constructed fortified camps on the Dubis and Arar river and waged attrition warfare all summer. Unable to live off the land any longer at the eve of Fall, the Germanic horde attempt a massed assault on Cabilionon on the Dubis. But the Gauls had dug trenches and erected towers on the way, decimating the invaders before engaging them in intense close combat. The few units of Braers at Carantia’s disposition held a strategic ford on the river, bottlenecking the Germans. She was herself in the melee, dedicated to the tradition of leading from the front. When reinforcements from Aeduis and Senones finally arrived on the gallic side, the attackers gave up and fled.

The horde split apart: the Marcomanni led by King Vangio retreated toward Vesontio, while the rest, a loose group of tribes led by the Tulingi warchief Odomar moved North. By 17 BCE, with the help of returning, hardened troops from Italy, Carantia defeated Vangio in open battle and liberated Sequania. Vanquished, the Marcomanni moved into the territory previously occupied by the Mednomatrici, near the Mosella river. Threatened with more action, Vangio sued for conciliation and gave his son Maroboduus in hostage to the Arverni. In exchange, his people would be a rampart against the Treveri in the North, and other hostile German tribes in the East.

Odomar would be caught on the next year, as he wandered through Mandubia and Lingonia. The Lingones, battered and leaderless after the defeat of the Remi, begged for help. Edorix, freshly returned, took command of the operations and dispatched the Tulingi at Andematunnon with ‘only’ 50,000 warriors. In the end, the last Germanic invaders either scattered or surrendered at the beginning of 14 BCE, and peace returned. The Arverni eastern flank took a beating, but their Remi and Treveri rivals were also severely weakened, negating the threat they could represent for a Confederation seriously strained by the war effort. The riches and loot from Italy barely compensated for the expenditure, and the territories gained in Southern Gaul needed to be distributed, and properly managed. The local Volcaes didn’t even know yet they had changed master!

While the campaign in Italy had made Edorix into an excellent war chief and a genius tactician, managing state affairs still prove troublesome to him. He was for instance pressured to marry a Pictone noble lady, but at the same time refused to dismiss a German slave who already gave him a son. While royalty could accommodate polygamy, housing together a princess and a foreign bed-slave was scandalous. Vercingetorix assigned to him the management of the Volcaes, hoping it would be a new learning experience for his hot-head son. When a new war with the Remi broke out in 11 BCE, “he was so sorely disappointed to not have been asked to participate [in the war], he went to ride out in the country for two days during which no one knew of his whereabouts.” Carantia, who already proved to be capable leader, would probably have made a better heir, but the tradition still favoured her brother. Nonetheless, Edorix maintained important relation with the Romans, notably Corvinus Messala after he became proconsul of Narbonensis. The lasting peace between the two countries increased the circulation of new ideas and the diffusion of Gallic culture: no longer pictured savage, their artistic production became fashionable. Jewellery and engraving became a trend in Rome, while Greco-Roman statuary and monumental architecture raised interest in Gaul. Roman style aqueducts and public fountains came to relieve increasedly overcrowded Gallic towns.

gallo-roman-villa-thermae-brittany-france_1.jpg

A Gallo-Roman style villa discovered near Gergovia, including private baths. (2)​

Immaterial knowledge circulated even more, facilitated by linguistic proximity, with treatise from Cicero translated in Gaulish, and soon Serra’s epics translated in Latin. The Gauls have been using the Roman alphabet for informal written communication for more than a century, but anything truly cultural, such as druidic wisdom or bardic epics, stayed fiercely oral so far. But the liberalization of writing broke the taboo, letting the local literary production bloom by 1 CE.

With the Remi definitively defeated and submitted in 10 BCE, there were no major military threats left, allowing the Arverni Confederation to extends their influence deep into Aquitania and Armorica. The small nations of theses part of Gaul could not resist: the Ausci and Sociates made act of submission, and even the Aulerci asked for Arverni arbitration in their internal dispute. If there was a challenge left, it would lie beyond the sea.

(1) Statue by Elizabeth Black, photographic credit: Barrie Hartwell / Irish Time

(2) Credit: Hervé Paitier

Last edited:
I would indeed be awesome. As I'm not overtly familiar with the many tribes in Gaul, the maps on the previous pages were perfect to really follow the action. :)

Reading the last chapter, a sort of power-sharing agreement between Vercingetorix children seems to be a perfect way to move forward: Edorix is the military man, respected by the army, feared ennemies all-around and also knowledgable about the Romans (current allies, potential foes later?). It also seems that battle is "his great passion".

Carantia on the other side seems more competent in the governing side of things of ruling. Dealing with factions in the Conglenoss/Congress, getting a little help from religion when needed, etc...

I don't know how feasible that would be, and all together, it's probably not going to work but instead lead to civil war and devastation, as usual. But in a way, this would ressemble the deal between Cleopatra and Marc Anthony, without the having sex part, and hopefully without the failing part as well. ;)

A map is a bit overdue, yes, I'm working on a update.

Carantia won't be contented with playing behind-the-throne advisor anymore, but she will find something better to do than fighting her brother.

Part XV: Something Ends, Something Begins
Part XV: Something Ends, Something Begins

(Gaul, 10 BCE – 2 BCE)

What are we, but the sum of what we leave behind? – Seán Macmor, Vercingetorix, act IV scene 5

Vercingetorix died in June, 2 BCE (the 7th according to most writers) at 76 years old, and all of Europe held its breath. The man who was the first to break the conquering stride of Rome, the unifying force who turned dozens of squabbling tribes into an alliance and then into an empire, was no more. He joined in the grave the rest of his brothers in arms of the insurrection of 52: Camulogene (died in 37) Sedullos (died in 13) Commios (died in 10) Lucterios (died in 7) and Ambiorix (died in 5). He was survived by his wife Ollovia, his cousin Vercassivellaunos, his friend Eporedorix, and of course his two children, Edorix and Carantia.

His last years of reign have been marked by a consolidation of his power through two means: money, and propaganda. The Arverni had achieved virtual monopoly on North/South trade routes, and not just thanks to their geographical position, but to the infrastructures they built and owned: the piers and shipwrights in Burdigala, the river stage posts, and the first paved road built in the Roman style who connected Nemossos to Lugodunon, and from there to the Roman Via Corvinia, who branched to the existing Via Domitia in Arelate, financed almost entirely with tariff. The transplant of grapes in the Liger valley and the development of a domestic wine production gave the Arverni another important source of revenue from a product highly prized in the Celtic world. Vercingetorix also encouraged royal propaganda through the patronage of arts and the construction of public edifices: dedicating the Shrine of Taranis on the bank of the Liger (unfortunately nowadays underwater) and the Odeon of Gergovia. Under his reign, Nemossos, the de facto capital of the Arverni empire, became a bustling metropolis with an estimated 180,000 inhabitants by 1 CE.

640px-Theatre-et-odeon-de-la-vill.jpg

The Odeon of Gergovia​

His death was, under all accounts, natural. A combination of “old wounds, weariness from ruling, and the excesses of a royal lifestyle” took him down: one morning, after several nights of chest pains, Vercingetorix went out for a walk and collapsed on his doorstep. A quiet death, far from the din of the battlefield. Tradition gave him different last words, the most famous being “I’ve done my part, the rest is in the hands of the gods”; first found in Sergicios’ Historia Gallica and likely apocryphal.

The man was dead, what to do next? Once the shock had worn off, the Arverni leadership quickly convened he would be buried in what would become the Tumulus of Tremidia, although tumulus is an inexact term here, as a pre-existing local hill was used. Workers excavated the funeral chamber in it exact centre after boring through 120m of earth, which is no small engineering feat for the place and time. The body was laid on a massive stone table, in full regalia, with a cape sewn with gold wire and amber draped over him. Two large craters, one for wine the other for beer, furniture, a suit of armour, a chariot, several weapons and jewellery were disposed in circles around the table. The entire chamber was covered in hammered sheets of lead, the walls were inled with copper wire drawing mythological scenes, from the creation of the world to the coronation of Vercingetorix himself. The roof was decorated with a constellation map, with gold and silver discs representing the various astral bodies, to guide the king’s soul toward the stars.

It is the largest known Celtic tomb, rivaling in size and decoration with the Egyptian pharaohs and the Chinese Emperors. Or at least, that is the description we have of it through various contemporary authors, as it remained sealed to this day. The mystery, of course, inflamed the imaginations of men for centuries. It survived many wars and invasions, and at least four attempts to unearth it: the Goths in 382, the Magyars in 607, the Hispanians in 1141, and the Red Torch rebels in 1878. All dug the Tremidia up, down, and sideway but failed to locate the burial chamber, adding a dash of supernatural to the story: “the spiritual heart of Gallia does not yield to the greed of men”. Recent advances in ground penetrating radar imagery finally revealed its exact position and shape: a large main chamber connected to three small secondary rooms and not much else: the lead lining, meant to make the complex waterproof, prevent further perusal. Until then, wild speculations will stay the norm.

Bin_Tepe%2C_large_tumulus.jpg

The Tumulus of Tremidia​

“All Celtica heave and cry” wrote Serra. People rich and poor flocked to Tremidia, performing the ancient custom of walking three time around the hill. “A thousand nations come to pay homage every year” added Tacitus. Like the resting places of many great leaders, from Alexander to Cyrus or Solomon, the Roman author noted the development of a ‘pilgrimage business’, active in his days (around 90 CE) with merchants and sellers catering to visitors of the tomb. A quasi-mystical attraction, a must-see for every would-be Kings and Queens of Gaul. Offerings varies, but animals’ sacrifices were common until the Vth century, mostly oxen, stags, or horses, followed by open-air banquets.

gallic-reenactors-afaik-the-leuki-iron-age-roman-legion-Eb7b883af9b664e3ec5c6620b75d391f2.jpg

Reenactors in period costume performing “the triple walk” around the tumulus
for the bi-millennium anniversary of Vercingetorix’ death in 1998. (1)​

Besides monuments and successes in war, Vercingetorix biggest legacy is indisputably a stable country. Forged in the crucible of war and hardship, steered with a wise and steady hand, the Arverni empire and its institutions laid the groundwork for the future first true Gallic State that would emerge in the next century. He achieved a balance of power, asserting control from his throne without upsetting regional sensibilities by acting as a first among equals rather than a supreme ruler through the Conglennos. In their time, only the Aeduis could have contended for the leadership, but their early fall removed the threat of division. Decades of peace and close collaboration tightened the nations of Gaul like never before. His death accelerated the inexorable coalescence of the Gallic identity, the Celtica of Serra, a process hundreds of years in the making.

(1) Photo Credit: Jordan Steele

Ok, so, I wanted to post an updated map before I post this chapter, but I've lost the .svg (it was on my other hard drive, who appears to be corrupted) I've to re make it from earlier draft, but I lacked time this month. The next chapter was ready for a while, so I decided to post it in the meantime.

Here I mark a milestone. Reaching POD + 50 years was my original goal, not too bad for a chronic procrastinator like me.

If there's interest among the readership, I could continue, maybe up to 50 or 100 A.D, even if I only have a vague idea of what would happens next. For the moment, I only have material for the lifetime of Edorix and Carantia (20-25 years and a handful of chapters).

Ok, so, I wanted to post an updated map before I post this chapter, but I've lost the .svg (it was on my other hard drive, who appears to be corrupted) I've to re make it from earlier draft, but I lacked time this month. The next chapter was ready for a while, so I decided to post it in the meantime.

Here I mark a milestone. Reaching POD + 50 years was my original goal, not too bad for a chronic procrastinator like me.

If there's interest among the readership, I could continue, maybe up to 50 or 100 A.D, even if I only have a vague idea of what would happens next. For the moment, I only have material for the lifetime of Edorix and Carantia (20-25 years and a handful of chapters).
I am interested!

Could the tomb be found using modern technology and tools.
Or has the local or national government forbidden the searching of his resting place?

Please continue! I think this is one of he most interesting timelines around.

One question though: with Augustus* defeated and dead, would there be any reason for the month of August to bear his name ITTL?

I'll second desiring to see this continued! Not only is this a remarkably intriguing and ambitious scenario, but very well executed and informative.

Also, really nice chapter here. I always have enjoyed reading about national legends, and a very literal one for the inconquerable heart of Gaul is prime stuff (plus uplifting to see remain intact). The foreshadowing about the waves of inaders is interesting as well, particularly with regard to the Magyars.

Could the tomb be found using modern technology and tools.
Or has the local or national government forbidden the searching of his resting place?

The tomb was precisely located with modern imagery. Before that, the only way would have been to level the entire hill with explosives. And yes, there's a huge social and political taboo about disturbing the place that remains in place.

One question though: with Augustus* defeated and dead, would there be any reason for the month of August to bear his name ITTL?

No more than there's reasons for July to be named after Julius Caesar! When I started writing, I kept OTL calendar as a convention so the reader wouldn't be too confused with a made-up system.

In retrospect it wasn't necessary, I may one day edit my text and replace all dates with something like the AVC notation, but I'm not decided yet.

Also, really nice chapter here. I always have enjoyed reading about national legends, and a very literal one for the inconquerable heart of Gaul is prime stuff (plus uplifting to see remain intact). The foreshadowing about the waves of inaders is interesting as well, particularly with regard to the Magyars.

I drew inspiration from the sanctuary of the Japanese emperors, and the relicary of Axum. I liked the idea of a monument staying unviolated despite wars, revolutions and other upheavals.

The tomb was precisely located with modern imagery. Before that, the only way would have been to level the entire hill with explosives. And yes, there's a huge social and political taboo about disturbing the place that remains in place.

No more than there's reasons for July to be named after Julius Caesar! When I started writing, I kept OTL calendar as a convention so the reader wouldn't be too confused with a made-up system.

In retrospect it wasn't necessary, I may one day edit my text and replace all dates with something like the AVC notation, but I'm not decided yet.

I drew inspiration from the sanctuary of the Japanese emperors, and the relicary of Axum. I liked the idea of a monument staying unviolated despite wars, revolutions and other upheavals.
If you need to change the names of the months use Quintilis and Sextilis

Honestly, I prefer the system you've used so far. As you wrote in the introduction, using a made-up calendar would just result in unnecessary mental gymnastics. I was just wondering about consistency with Julius and Augustus, that's all :)

I have a few things to say. First of all, I await your new map eagerly (take your time if you need to). Second, I am intrigued by this so called "Red Torch" rebellion. Thirdly, Gosh darn it, you destroyed Portugal! I am upset. Lastly, I think you should hire a screenwriter and make a call to HBO. After the Game of Thrones debacle, I think a nice alternate history show like what yours might be would be the ticket to heal all wounds, and kind of forget writers who kind of forgot how to do their jobs. The Edorix-Carantia situation seems promising.

Nice timeline, I think the Gauls will want to get to the mediteranean coast. Rome isn't the power it used to be and sound Egypt will show it's renewed might.

Nice timeline, I think the Gauls will want to get to the mediteranean coast. Rome isn't the power it used to be and sound Egypt will show it's renewed might.
Regarding Egypt, I've recently began to wonder if Nabataea of this time period would be strong enough - or have the motivation - to conquer Egypt. The Ptolemies have to end somehow. But I don't see this happening in this timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.