Alternate Names for Belgium

The United States of Arras
The Remnant (i.e. those left when the Union of Utrecht broke away)
Poor Little Leftover
France's Wet Dream
Britain's Baby
No Man's Land

Lower Lorraine, lower burgundy, north burgundy, maybe Saxony or Celt-land or something?

Belgium was named after a Roman province. European ountries which didn't get those names tended to be named after the tribes that conquered and settled the place so it could end up as Poland/Polonia or Lonbardy or Gotland or Frankland/France whatnot or you want to get crazy with Migration Era divergences.

The United States of Arras
The Remnant (i.e. those left when the Union of Utrecht broke away)
The problem with that name is that several parts of Belgium actualy were part of the Union of Utrecht, at least a large part of Flanders and Brabant were. And of course the bishopric of Liege never was part of the Spanish Netherlands.

Also it is weird to call a country after a city that lies in another country.

Last edited:
The problem with that name is that several parts of Belgium actualy were part of the Union of Utrecht, at least a large part of Flanders and Brabant were. And of course the bishopric of Liege never was part of the Spanish Netherlands.

Also it is weird to call a country after a city that lies in another country.

My bad. Why did they call it the Union of Arras then? I mean, Utrecht is still in the Netherlands, but if Arras was in (I'm assuming France ATM), styling themselves that makes as much sense as naming the country that, surely.

My bad. Why did they call it the Union of Arras then? I mean, Utrecht is still in the Netherlands, but if Arras was in (I'm assuming France ATM), styling themselves that makes as much sense as naming the country that, surely.
It used to be part of the Netherlands, but France conquered Arras after the Union of Arras (and before Belgium was founded). I think somewhere in the 17th century, not sure of the exact date.

It used to be part of the Netherlands, but France conquered Arras after the Union of Arras (and before Belgium was founded). I think somewhere in the 17th century, not sure of the exact date.

Fair enough.

My apologies if this has been mentioned already, but wouldn't it depend on just "when/how" this state of "Belgium" forms? Since I can't imagine Karl Theodor's resurrection of the "kingdom of Burgundy" having the same name as a "Belgic" state that's formed from Albert-Isabella having kids or Felipe of Spain (OTL duke of Parma) being named as overlord of the Netherlands.