Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Well done, though shame about Rod Serling. Wow, GRRM working on the next version of Star Trek. Having trouble on Closer To Home?

Thank you, historybuff! :) I appreciate the inquiry into Closer to Home, and I do want to renew my efforts toward that TL, I just have a lot of creative writing projects going on at the moment and it's sort of getting lost in the shuffle, I suppose. :/ I hope I can provide some new material for it soon!

That was a good update. George R. R. Martin working on Star Trek, eh? That definitely sounds interesting.

Thank you, Alpha-King! :D IOTL, Martin applied for a position on the writing staff of The Next Generation, but was turned down for being "too much of a hard Sci-Fi writer" and not "having strong enough characterization"... Their loss, of course. ;)

Thanks for telling me about Bush's approach to China and Vietnam and Reagan's reluctance with China. I also like your new update. I'm a literature fan so I really enjoyed this chapter.

Now that Martin is on Star Trek I wonder how long it will stay Family Friendly... Maybe that could produce abit of Conflict with Roddenberry and NBC

I'm pretty confident that Martin is capable of writing to any standard he needs to. :) It's not like he's obsessed with "adult" themes in his writing, it's just that A Song of Ice and Fire happens to contain a lot of them. By comparison, the Dunk and Egg novellas for example, are much tamer. I feel like the show really played up the "Sexy" elements to draw in viewers who may otherwise be reluctant fantasy fans. Just my two cents as a big Martin fan :D

Well, at least it won't just be redshirts dying.

This is an excellent point too! :) Martin will certainly push for story-arcs for the characters, hopefully pushing Roddenberry and his team in new and interesting directions.

@President_Lincoln - George RR Martin on Star Trek? This could be very interesting indeed...

Now that Martin is on Star Trek I wonder how long it will stay Family Friendly... Maybe that could produce abit of Conflict with Roddenberry and NBC

Well, it's the 70s so they'll be limited in just what they can show on TV... though odds are they'll push the envelope as far as they can. Which...violence for its own sake is bad, but if they feel they can tell more hard-hitting and true-to-life stories and tackle big issues that's good.

Which could lay the foundations for Trek to be continuously more addressing of contemporary issues as it goes on. Who knows - the 90s/early 2000s might actually see that AIDS allegory episode or LGBT characters in Trek.

Well, at least it won't just be redshirts dying.

XD

This is an excellent point too! :) Martin will certainly push for story-arcs for the characters, hopefully pushing Roddenberry and his team in new and interesting directions.

I like that idea - more continuity for characters would be a great thing.

I'm pretty confident that Martin is capable of writing to any standard he needs to. :) It's not like he's obsessed with "adult" themes in his writing, it's just that A Song of Ice and Fire happens to contain a lot of them. By comparison, the Dunk and Egg novellas for example, are much tamer. I feel like the show really played up the "Sexy" elements to draw in viewers who may otherwise be reluctant fantasy fans. Just my two cents as a big Martin fan :D
Point, as a matter of fact I’ve started reading the ASOIAF series and I agree with you on the Show playing up the sexy stuff. I was more thinking he’d be more on the Push the Envelope side of things while Berry and especially NBC would be more on the cautious side.

Point, as a matter of fact I’ve started reading the ASOIAF series and I agree with you on the Show playing up the sexy stuff. I was more thinking he’d be more on the Push the Envelope side of things while Berry and especially NBC would be more on the cautious side.

Fair point as well, Mr. President. :) Martin and Roddenberry do also come from two different generations, which could play a role in what's acceptable for each on television and such.

Nice to hear about Martin and King here.

Hope GRRM doesn't write himself into a corner ITTL, and I'm thinking he gets more TV credits as well due to Star Trek.

I wasn't expecting Martin to write for Star Trek. I didn't even know that in OTL he had applied to actually be on the writing staff. Will Martin know a writer for the show change anything about it?

I wasn't expecting Martin to write for Star Trek. I didn't even know that in OTL he had applied to actually be on the writing staff. Will Martin know a writer for the show change anything about it?

Why wouldn't he though? I mean at least one Red shirt dies in every episode so it fits the pattern right?
(Run Away!)

Randy

Something interesting is that apparently The Dark Tower took GoT place at HBO . But GoT seem to still be one of the most important show in history.

So, let me understand. GRRM is working on Star Trek: Phase II. And not only the Dark Tower will get a decent adaptation by HBO, but we will also get Jorah Mormont/Iain Glen playing Roland Deschain.

(a moment of silence, and then a frustrated scream)

WHY WASN'T I BORN INTO THIS WORLD? WHY?!

I’m think with Martin at the helm, Star Trek may hit the meater storytelling of DS9 and later Trek much earlier in its history. Will probably be a few years till you get serialised stories and a big Trek war but episodic episodes the like of Inner Light or Duet can have just as much punch, more so if they’re made earlier while the iron is hot. Would be interesting to see Martin become executive producer instead of Rick Berman and the like, and be willing to push the boat out more for writers to explore.

(Basically I’m hoping we get gay Star Trek sooner with out the homophobic and misogyny of Berman or Hurley ‘>.>)