My guess: they found an empty box, Mussolini's men killed the others to protect the secret, and they somehow created a fake before they returned to Rome.

Excellent chapter. Looking forward to the papacy of His Holiness Peter II.

I'm going to argue either A. theyll see the new pope as heretical (Which he is), or they wont do anything and just deal with it.

Whats interesting is the cathar shit that went on in the cave, did the cathars really have beliefs about A Perfect Man, with perfect blood, or is that madnessverse seeping into the 13th century?

There are bits and pieces of real Cathar belief, but most of it is Madnessverse elements, I think. IIRC, the Cathars, being Gnostic revivalists, believed in a single sacrament--a purification ritual that would cleanse someone of all sin and make them 'perfect'. Those who had undergone the ritual were known as the 'perfecti'. Usually, the ritual was given when somebody was close to death, so that they wouldn't be able to sin between being purified and dying.

Vuu

Banned
Actually, this could be a marking that the "End of days" is coming, the church is seemingly becoming heretical (You can't tell me what mussolini is doing isnt heresy) and he named himself pope peter, the name of the first pope. Mussolini could end up being The last pope

spoiler: he's the last pope, because after him the title is "patriarch"

Glad you guys are enjoying the story of Papa Musso. I honestly think it's one of the best chapters in the whole TL so far.

p18.jpg

5aec77bb-5648-4b67-b84f-9de388772124_1.96d42a0f13abd949dd615baeebaa8400.jpeg

Pope-Pius-XII-as-papal-di-011.jpg

All of these are perfect for having Papa Mario photoshopped on them.

And I am very much in favor of a new TVTropes page! There are so many tropes in TTL that it would never end!

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Glad you guys are enjoying the story of Papa Musso. I honestly think it's one of the best chapters in the whole TL so far.

View attachment 461440

View attachment 461438

View attachment 461439

All of these are perfect for having Papa Mario photoshopped on them.

And I am very much in favor of a new TVTropes page! There are so many tropes in TTL that it would never end!

Loved the chapter too!

And I will say that for those paying attention the Ahistorical Allusion trope would need a whole effing page for WMiT, with things such as the "Lincoln-Douglas Debate" and Lincoln's assassination postwar. And the British general that suffered a defeat at Waterley and was exiled and died the same way Napoleon did IOTL.

And there's so much goddamn irony ITTL that I love it.

Napoleon, How is mussolini religiously, is he a devout papist? And how is he politically, you touched on him eschewing leftist politics after Allesandro left the picture, but is he pro Europa?

spoiler: he's the last pope, because after him the title is "patriarch"

Haha, you misspelled Reverend-Colonel you silly goose! Don't do it again if you want to live.

Is Il Duce, er I mean Pope Peter II, going to hop on the Evolism train? It seems perfect for someone like him. I'd also really like to see him call for a "New Crusade" against Illuminist Germany because I will be god-damned if I let the Union have all the holy wars to themselves. Since I have nothing else constructive to add....

1920_hitlermuss.jpg

the-church-militant.jpg

D E U S. V U L T.

If i can make a prediction here, i predict another global war will come in the 40s, this world war (which if you didnt notice had 80 million deaths, as much as world war 2) doesnt seem to have a satisfying ending, and i have no doubt Illuminism, Buetilism, Fascism, and.... Papism? Napoleonism? Europanism? will destroy each other

Four words: Killer Fascist Polar Bears x'D

I agree with the idea of a Second World War happening (one that will be even bloodier) but I don't think all of the ideologies destroy each other. Fascism has to survive simply because Chuckie Oswald really takes power in the 50's and 60's, and he is the Madness character. He's iconic. I do think Evolism/Napoleonism will collapse. One thing I've been wondering about is a possible *D-Day from Fascist Britain, and the creation of a French puppet that is Americanized or something. French are still technically Betters if they convert. It would also create the multiverse's most horrifying East vs. Russia and friends dynamic.

i mean as in, one ideology will perish in the global war, which could pave way for an interesting cold war, maybe a cuban missile crises with chuckle oswald starting a war?

I am tremendously curious as how to the Illuminist Peoples Republic of Russia functions. How is a mostly anarchist ideology able to police so much land without having large insurrections in rural areas? And for government, will it be like a democratic assembly of sorts or a unique centralized dictatorship?