PC: Greater Germany with three capitals?

Here's an idea I had while researching South Africa and discovering their triple capital system; if Greater Germany formed, might we see a Triple Capital System emerge there? My ideas were

1. Berlin. Where the Kaiser sits and where the judicial branch sits.
  2. Vienna. Where the congress of the federal states meet and also where the executive branch sits.
  3. Frankfurt. Where the congress elected by the people meet and the location of the legislative Branch.

Because the Kaiser is the executive, it would be logical to have the executive branch with him in Berlin. As for the other two, it might require some sort of Napoleonic-Era unification of Germany that retains the Holy Roman Empire's judicial system and Imperial Diet. The Frankfurt parliament would have had to survive the rebellion, which would be interesting considering the structure of a surviving HRE.

Deleted member 94680

Here's an idea I had while researching South Africa and discovering their triple capital system; if Greater Germany formed, might we see a Triple Capital System emerge there? My ideas were

1. Berlin. Where the Kaiser sits and where the judicial branch sits.
  2. Vienna. Where the congress of the federal states meet and also where the executive branch sits.
  3. Frankfurt. Where the congress elected by the people meet and the location of the legislative Branch.

I like those choices. I’m not sure of a PoD that could produce the desired scenario, but they all make sense for their proposed uses.

I look into that for My "Kaiserreich a TL"
but run into issue because how the German Empire is build.
It's Federal State Structure, Dominated by Prussia, follow by Bavaria and other smaller Kingdoms and Duchy.
Here Berlin would be The Capital of Empire and Prussia, follow by Capitals of Member states of The Empire.

The little annoying Austrian had similar Idea for Several Capitals with the "Führer Städten"
Three of them would be serve for government
Berlin~Germania what ever - with biggest Parlament the world ever seen..
Nürnberg - for NSDAP party meetings
München - capitol of the Movement...

How about

Berlin: Kaiser/Executive
Vienna: Judicial
Frankfort: Legislative

And also

Aix-la-Chapelle: Religious capital
Hamburg: Naval HQ
Koenigsberg: Army HQ
Munich: Air Force HQ

Aix-la-Chapelle: Religious capital

Aachen aka Aix-la-Chapelle, had very important role in german History, it was city were the Emperors of Holy Roman Empire was crowned.
Interesting is that Holy Roman Empire had never a fix central Capital, but several administrative centers:

Vienna: Reichshofrat, the Aulic Council
Wetzlar: Judicial
Regensburg: Reichstag, the parliament
Frankfurt am Main: were the new Emperor was elected, wenn confirmed by pope, then crowned in Aachen

Then new Emperors chooses a city as there Capitol of Empire

Aachen aka Aix-la-Chapelle, had very important role in german History, it was city were the Emperors of Holy Roman Empire was crowned.
Interesting is that Holy Roman Empire had never a fix central Capital, but several administrative centers:

Vienna: Reichshofrat, the Aulic Council
Wetzlar: Judicial
Regensburg: Reichstag, the parliament
Frankfurt am Main: were the new Emperor was elected, wenn confirmed by pope, then crowned in Aachen

Then new Emperors chooses a city as there Capitol of Empire
The tradition could start early and continue

Nuremberg was home to the diet and courts.. Keep that tradition and yiu have your capitol number 2. First being if hapsbhrg - Vienna.. If other could be anything from Berlin to Frankfurt to a hen to koinigsbhrg or hamburg or Prague

I look into that for My "Kaiserreich a TL"
but run into issue because how the German Empire is build.
It's Federal State Structure, Dominated by Prussia, follow by Bavaria and other smaller Kingdoms and Duchy.
Here Berlin would be The Capital of Empire and Prussia, follow by Capitals of Member states of The Empire.

The little annoying Austrian had similar Idea for Several Capitals with the "Führer Städten"
Three of them would be serve for government
Berlin~Germania what ever - with biggest Parlament the world ever seen..
Nürnberg - for NSDAP party meetings
München - capitol of the Movement...

Okay so post 1900 POD..

Berlin was the Capital

After WW 1 - possibilities
  • Austria Joins - Vienna is second Capital
  • Germany looses more severe in WW1 - Possibility of moving the Capital to say Frankfurt o other prominent city to escape its past
  • Germany Wins - AH still collapses and Austria Czechia joins and Croatia Joins ( now you have three capitals
  • Germany wins and turns eastern Europe into a Mini EU - Moves new Unions Capital to another city to separate it from state capitals - seperate state capitals continue to exists
World War 2
Germania is the capital

Post WW2

• Nothing until reunification
  • Austria somehow is allowed to remain as a part of germany I honestly think Austria proper would be broken down into smaller states - but who knows so again Vienna
  • Germany some how reunifies in the 50's as a neutral. not sure why they wouldnt just move back to Berlin, but i could se a negative concatenation with the city and thus the capital is moved to Bonn but with an secondary capital in the east Karl marx stadt, Dresden, Munich - thus abandoning Berlin to a lesser role in the nation and leaving the past to the ash heap
  • Reunification - Bonn is kept as a Capital along side Berlin - splitting the powers between the two cities
  • Germany is split into three
    • East Germany including former Prussia - Capital stays in Berlin or is moved
    • West Germany - Capital could be Bonn or Frankfurt
    • Southern Germany - Capital at Munich or Vienna

Prior Pods: keep the traditional split court - Nuremberg is the traditional unofficial capital of old
If under the German empire though it would depend on who unites or does Austria join, since if they do, vienaa automatically gets a nod. Do the Czechs join? Prague gets a nod

Then inside of traditional Germany.. You have Hanover,
Frankfurt, hamburg, Strasburg, achen, if Prussia is dominate then of course Berlin or koinigsburg.

However I look at this way

1 capital for the nation
Decentralized substrate to appease the different factions..

Last edited: