Flower O'Scotland

Chapter 74: Foreign Policy

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 74: Foreign Policy

September, 1557

James blinked. It was getting harder to stay awake with the long hours he was working. Jane kept telling him he needed to take more rest, but he knew that if he did that, things wouldn’t happen. There were too many people trying to prevent him achieving what needed to be achieved. And so here he was, desperately fighting to stay awake during one of the most important meetings of the day and the week.

“Say it again.” He commanded.

“Of course, Sire.” Sinclair said. “It is my understanding that with the death of her daughter Princess Katherine, Queen Mary has given over more power to her husband His Royal Highness the Duke of Lancaster as well as His Grace the Duke of Somerset. Consequently, it is both of them who we should be interacting with.”

James nodded. He couldn’t imagine the pain of losing a child. The thought of either his Mary or James dying terrified him. “And have either man talked about a desire for renewed conflict?” He asked. He had listened to the border lords and heard their worries about raiding.

“No, Sire. From what Lennox says, it was simply something that Northumberland did. The Duke of Lancaster has spoken with Northumberland and has written to say that it will not happen again.” Sinclair responded.

James nodded, he extended a hand for the letter which Sinclair duly passed to him. It was not that he did not trust Sinclair-after all his father had trusted the man- it was simply that he preferred to see these things with his own two eyes. He read the letter and then put it down. “Very well, send word to Douglas and others, tell them to be safe and to keep an extra watch on the borders. We in particular want Lochmaeben garrisoned properly.”

“Yes, Sire.” Sinclair said making a note of that.

“Sire, would that not risk antagonising the English and making them think that we are preparing for a war?” Robert Maxwell, Lord Maxwell asked.

“No.” James replied simply. “It is a simple measure. Lochmaeben is a strategically viable castle and one we must ensure never falls into enemy hands.” Who those enemies where he did not say. He was not foolish he knew where the trouble might come from. James then turned to the Earl of Atholl and asked him. “And what of France?”

Atholl was a good man, leal and true and someone James knew he could count on when the time came for war. “Sire, France is looking toward experiencing trouble.”

“How so?” James asked.

“The regent Dowager Queen Catherine has alienated some of the more prominent nobles including King Antoine through allying strongly with the House of Guise.” Atholl said. James leaned forward intrigued, hearing about his mother’s relatives always interested him.

“Go on.” He commanded.

Atholl hesitated for a moment but then continued. “Sire, the Duke of Guise is pushing for a more hard line stance towards those who practice the reformed faith, or as they are known within France Huguenots. He believes they challenge the very integrity of France and as such deserve the strictest of punishments.”

James found himself agreeing with his uncle, but remembered something Jane had once told him and asked. “Have they done anything to invoke such suspicion?”

“No Sire.” Atholl replied. “All they have done is follow their own faith and pay their obedience to the King.”

“And have any measures been introduced?” James asked.

“There are measures which have reduced the number of Huguenots who can assemble in any one place. They cannot bear arms, and they cannot attend private ceremonies. Something which contradicts the assurances that King Henri gave them.” Atholl said.

“But no one has been killed?” James asked.

“Not yet, Sire.” Atholl replied.

“But you think it will happen?” James asked.

“I do, Sire.” Atholl replied. “There are too many vested interests in making sure France is one way or the other. Antoine wants the throne of France, and Guise wants his children close to power.”

“We see.” James responded. “This leads us to our next point. Our sister Mary is now of an age to wed. The question is who. We shall not marry her to France, and Spain has no one of appropriate age.”

“Sire, Prince Frederick of Denmark is available and he is a man grown and heir to the throne of Denmark and Norway. It would help us re-establish a network within the northern sea and provide another trade route.” Sinclair said.

“Prince Frederick is a great deal older than Her Royal Highness though.” Atholl pointed out. “Furthermore, the English are also looking to bring Denmark within their sphere of influence. Personally, Sire, I would favour Prince Erik of Sweden or his brother Prince John. Both are from a Kingdom that is on the rise and would be far more beneficial for trade.”

“Prince Erik is older than Prince Frederick, and his brother stands to inherit nothing.” Sinclair retorted.

Atholl went to say something, but James interrupted. “Sinclair is right. We shall send an offer to the King of Denmark and renew that old alliance.”

Last edited:
Very nice - the divergences from OTL are getting bigger - religion, alliances, etc.

Just one small nit-pick (sorry, bad habit of mine): you wrote 'Atholl was a good man, leal and loyal...' Leal means loyal, so this sounds a bit strange - a more common phrase, iirc, was 'leal and true.'

VVD0D95

Banned
Very nice - the divergences from OTL are getting bigger - religion, alliances, etc.

Just one small nit-pick (sorry, bad habit of mine): you wrote 'Atholl was a good man, leal and loyal...' Leal means loyal, so this sounds a bit strange - a more common phrase, iirc, was 'leal and true.'

Glad you like it!

And ahhh, thanks, will change that :)

Chapter 75: A Grieving Father Must Rule

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 75: A Grieving Father Must Rule

December, 1557

Luis rubbed his eyes. He was tired and ill. But he had promised Marie that he would help her as much as he could and if that meant attending council meetings whilst she spent time with their only surviving daughter, then so be it. It gave him something to do, rather than sit helplessly at Maria’s bedside as she too succumbed to the illness which had taken her sister.

Luis cleared his throat and then asked. “What is the situation with France? Edward, you had said you had something?”

Edward, Duke of Somerset one of the few Englishmen that Luis found he could tolerate nowadays spoke. “Your Royal Highness, reports from our ambassador and from Calais suggest that the situation in France is getting worse. The Guise family are increasingly dominating the court of King Charles and are leaving the Bourbons out of the council of the King. Consequently, they are pursuing policies which are harming the Protestant minority in the country and also infringing on their rights.”

Luis found that he did not care. If heretics were being punished so be it, but he knew that Somerset and one or two other members of this council had once been Protestants so he bit his tongue there, and instead asked. “Do you think it will break out into war?”

“I do not know, Sire.” Somerset answered honestly. “Personally, I would not be surprised. Antoine, King of Navarre has support of the southern French nobility and the Guise have support from the northern nobility. There are long standing grievances there. It will take just one thing to spark a rebellion.”

Luis considered this. “Should a war break out in France, then there would no doubt be people fleeing from their homes towards a place which they would consider neutral. Mainly Calais. Do we have the necessary procedures in place to ensure we are not swarmed with people?” He knew Calais, it was a town that could not hold more than the current population.

Pembroke spoke then as Minister for War. “Your Royal Highness, we have enough supplies for the current population and perhaps an extra one thousand people. But that is it. Should the French decide to send people our way we would have no choice but to repel them.”

Not for the first time, Luis felt slightly aggrieved that his wife and her countrymen placed such a high importance on Calais. It was nothing more than an albatross around their necks. “And one or more of the factions might use it to attack us to draw support.” Luis surmised.

“Then perhaps we should move some our main procedures away from Calais toward the outer reaches of the Pale, closer to Bolougne. There the French would struggle to get involved without involving the Spanish.” Pembroke said.

Luis considered this and then said. “Very well, I shall give the request to Her Majesty and then we shall proceed from there.” Pembroke nodded. There was a brief moment of silence and then Luis asked. “Now, was there anything else?” He hoped there was, he did not want to have to return to his chambers to find Maria there crying.

“There was, Your Royal Highness.” Cranmer said. Luis did not like the man but looked at him all the same.

“Speak.” Luis commanded.

“There was an incident in Devon a week ago, where a lawyer by the name of Charles Baker was stabbed to death by three men, all of whom were Catholics. They claimed that Baker had cheated them of their coin whilst he gave them legal advice.”

“What happened to these three men?” Luis asked.

“They are currently facing sentencing.” Cranmer said. “But Baker was a Protestant, Your Royal Highness. A Lutheran.”

“So, he was a heretic.” Luis said.

“By the law of the land, yes.” Cranmer said.

Luis wanted to ask the man what he meant by that, but instead said. “So, why are you bringing this up? The three men murdered a man in cold blood, they are to be punished, what of it?”

“I am concerned that the judge might well dismiss the case against them, which would then spark all sorts of things.” Cranmer said.

“Why would the judge do that?” Luis asked.

“Because they are Catholic and the man they murdered was Protestant and the judge is Catholic, Your Royal Highness.” Cranmer said.

Luis sighed. “If the judge does that, then he does not deserve to sit the bench.” There was a pause and then Luis added. “I shall visit this judge to ensure he does the right thing.”

Chapter 76: Queen Jane

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 76: Queen Jane

March, 1558

Her husband had gone hunting, their children were sleeping right now, which was a relief. Being a mother was a great joy, but it was tiring. Being that she also helped with the politics of the Kingdom, Jane was impressed with herself that she could manage all of this without collapsing. Now, she was with her mother, and Jane suspected she knew what she would speak of.

“So, how are you finding your time since the issue of the Dukedom?” Jane asked. She had wondered how her mother and father had thought about all of this when it had happened. She knew her mother dictated her father’s will. She had always known that.

“Fine.” Mother said simply. “Scotland is as Scotland is. There’s little more to it.” Mother continued reading her book.

Jane looked through the letters and then asked. “So, why were you so insistent on speaking with me today, without any of my ladies here?” It was true, she had had to dismiss her ladies before Mother would meet with her.

“I was wondering when you would ask about this.” Mother replied. There was a moment of silence, before Mother spoke again. “There was word from our friends at court.”

Jane knew what Mother meant by court, it was never Edinburgh, or Stirling, or wherever her husband decided to set up home. No, this meant London, it meant Hampton Court, or St James or Whitehall. Cautiously she asked. “And what word is this?”

“Princess Mary is dead. The official word has not been put out yet, for they are trying to find the right words to use to describe this. But the word is that she is dead. She died from a fever, similar to the one that claimed her elder sister.” Mother said. Something strange flickers in her eyes, and Jane isn’t sure she likes it.

“How sad.” Jane said instead. She would be broken hearted if any of her children died now or ever. No parent should outlive their child, that was the rule of God.

“Indeed. But think about what this means.” Mother said then.

Jane looked at her mother, not quite comprehending what she was getting at and then when it hit her she said. “Mother, that’s treasonous talk for you.”

“But not for you.” Mother countered. “Think about it, Queen Mary has no surviving children, and she is well past the age of child bearing. Her husband has no bastards in England and has had none since he was a young man. There will be no more children for them. Your husband is the next in line to the throne.”

Jane remembered her history, and replied. “But under the Act of Parliament that King Henry passed, you would be the heir, not James.”

Mother nodded. “Yes, but I am a woman and we have seen how the two previous women who were Queens have been received. Your husband and you have the best claims to the throne. I have already been speaking with some of our sources at court and they confirm that Queen Mary is leaning toward naming your husband as her heir.”

Jane felt something shift within her. Being Queen of England would be something, uniting the isles as well? She wondered at that and then asked. “Has there been any direct confirmation that Queen Mary’s daughter is dead?” She felt horrible speaking about a child like that, but she needed to know before she made any plans.

“Not as of yet, not officially. But it is there. My sources would not lie.” Mother replied.

“Well until there is, we cannot say anything.” Jane said. She knew how James would respond.

“Well, you had best be prepared for when the announcement comes.” Mother said.

Chapter 77: The Succession

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 77: The Succession

June, 1558

Edward could feel his bones aching. They were paining and groaning in protestation at numerous things. He was not as young as he once had been. He looked at the men before him and saw that they too were old. They were the last of a generation. A generation that had come of age during the reign of King Henry, and had come to power during the reign of his children. The last child of King Henry sat before him, Queen Mary, Queen, Mother, Wife, but Mother to no more children. Princess Katherine had gone first, and then Princess Mary. Now the Queen sat and listened but she did not participate. It seemed she stopped caring.

Edward looked at the Duke of Lancaster who nodded, giving him permission to speak. “Your Majesty, Your Royal Highness, my lords, it has been two months now since the unfortunate death of Her Royal Highness Princess Mary, with her death, the succession is now unclear.” Edward paused as the Queen shifted, but she made no move to speak, and so he continued. “Under normal circumstances, the succession would pass to Her Majesty’s siblings, but there are none left surviving.” Here Edward wondered what fate might have brought had the Duke of Richmond survived. “Therefore, we must look to Her Majesty’s cousins. The foremost of whom is His Majesty King James of Scotland.”

Edward paused, and Pembroke spoke. “He is a Scot though. I will not be ruled by a Scot.” There was some old rivalry there, Edward imagined it stemmed from a previous war.

“His Mother was King Henry’s oldest sister, through her, his claim is the strongest.” Edward countered. “We do not want another war like that which plagued England in the previous century.”

“I will not bend to a Scot. Not when there is another more suitable candidate from Queen Margaret’s blood in the country.” Pembroke said.

“You would choose Lady Margaret as the heir?” Edward asked. “That will not bring stability, indeed King James is no doubt likely to declare war.”

“And who will support him here?” Pembroke asked. “Lady Margaret has two sons and a daughter, she is popular with the court and with this council, and she has supporters in the south. Who truly is going to support the Scottish King?”

“I agree with the Duke of Somerset.” William Cecil, who had once been his private secretary and was now Chancellor of the Exchequer said. “Naming Lady Margaret as heir will antagonise the church and those lords who believe in the sanctimony of the succession. King James will draw support from those who will willingly look passed the fact he is Scottish.”

“So, who do you suggest?” The Queen asked, speaking for the first time in a soft voice.

“Majesty, I recommend looking to the entail of the Third Succession Act that Parliament passed during the reign of His Majesty King Henry.” William said. “There Queen Margaret’s descendants were overlooked in favour of your aunt Her Grace the Duchess of Suffolk’s descendants.”

“That would bring Frances Grey to the throne, and through her, her daughter Jane Grey which still means that James of Scotland’s descendants would rule.” Pembroke pointed out.

“Not necessarily.” William countered. “Lady Frances could be convinced to disinherit Queen Jane and instead name one of her other daughters her heir through an Act of Parliament.”

Edward looked at the Queen and saw that she was looking intently at William, that convinced him to speak up. “I believe that that might have some merit.” He paused and then blagged his way through. “My sources in Stirling report that Lady Frances has been trying to figure out where things are going in this direction. If we give a hint that she could end up with a crown she might be more willing to play per our rules, Majesty.”

“There is another candidate who could be considered, Majesty.” Pembroke said then.

“Geoffrey Pole.” The Queen said then. “Yes, we are aware.”

“He is an Englishman who has provided invaluable service to the Crown and he has many children.” Pembroke said.

“No.” The Queen said.

“Majesty…” Pembroke began before the Queen raised a hand.

“We shall not break with God. By God’s will our aunt Queen Margaret was born the elder of our father’s sisters, and therefore her grandson shall inherit the throne after we are gone. That is our decision and that is that.” The Queen said.

“We shall draw up the act of Parliament, Majesty.” Edward said.

Chapter 78: Heavy Lies The Head

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 78: Heavy Lies The Head

September, 1558

James read through the notes that John Knox had given him of his children and his siblings performances. Though Mary and James were just three and two respectively they were being taught the basic things, and their nurses reported to Knox who then reported to him and Jane. It was a measure that Jane had not liked but gone with for his sake he knew. His siblings however, were continuing their education with Knox, and it seemed Robert in particular was shining. That was good.

“So what does the man say?” Jane asked, her belly large with child, her due date was any time now, soon she would enter confinement and not be seen until three weeks after the child was born.

“He says that Arthur continues to prove he is more a warrior than a scholar, but that Robert is at the same level as Arthur and I were at the age of fourteen.” James replied.

“That is good. And what does he say about Mary?” Jane asked. His wife was very close to his sister, something that always pleased him.

“He says that she is smarter than any of us boys were, and that she will make a fine Queen.” James said with pride.

“A change from his normal repertoire about women.” Jane quipped.

James smiled, he knew his wife did not like the man and that they had argued quite a bit over it. “Indeed. Well Mary always has been the smartest one.”

“So, have the Danish court set a date for the wedding?” Jane asked.

“Yes, in the new year, during spring time. It seems their King wishes to be awake enough to see it happen.” James quipped, Christian of Denmark was apparently increasingly searching for relief in drink to handle the Swedish headache he had.

“A good thing then.” Jane said. And the way she said it made him wonder what she was about to say next. “You know I had a letter from the Duke of Somerset.” James had a sinking feeling in his stomach then.

“And what did he want?” He asked.

“He wished to inform us that the council of Queen Mary had reached a decision in regards to Her Majesty’s succession and they agreed that you would be her successor should she die without issue. An Act of Parliament was passed confirming this as well.” Jane said.

“It makes no difference, the Queen is young and will reign for many years yet.” James replied.

“She has no heirs and has increasingly been bed ridden.” Jane retorted.

“She is young yet.” James said.

Jane snapped then. “Why do you do this?”

“Do what?” He asked in response.

“This?!” Jane said raising her hands into the air. “Act as though you are a simpleton when I know you are not. Queen Mary has no children, and she is beyond child bearing age. She will die soon also, if reports from court are right. You are the next King of England, and will unite the three Kingdoms into one. So, why do you do this?”

James looked at his wife and sighed. “Because I am scared.”

“Scared?” Jane asked surprised. “Scared of what?”

“I am not an Englishman, the rivalries between Scotland and England are fresh, my grandfather was killed fighting against the English 45 years ago, there are all sorts of things that might go wrong, there might be rebellions. I do not want to put you and the children through that and I don’t want to send people from Scotland to die for that throne.” James said honestly.

“You do not know that there will be war.” Jane said. “The council has agreed that you are Mary’s heir they aren’t going to go back on that.”

“How do you know?” James demanded. “They might find another candidate they consider more worthy and choose them.” Deep down a part of him hoped they would.

“Because the Duke of Somerset has become your strongest defender and adherent. He will not let them choose anyone else.” Jane said.

“Why?” James asked.

“Because his Queen has demanded it of him.” Jane replied and she took his hands then. “Besides, I know you will make a great King.”

“How?” James asked. “How do you know?”

“Because I do. And so does the entirety of Scotland.” Jane responded.

Chapter 79: Mary Ends

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 79: Mary Ends

December, 1558

Sometimes, Mary wondered why God had been so cruel to her family. She wondered if it was because her grandfather had come to the throne over the bodies of innocent children and a man who had been wronged, or if it was because her father had done so much wrong during his reign. All she knew was that she was the last of her line and she had no fear or desire to prevent its end. She was old, and she was tired and she was ill. That was all that she could do now.

She had lain Luis to rest in Westminster Abbey alongside their two daughters a month ago, after his fall from a horse had resulted in his brain completely being destroyed. She had wanted to join him and would have, if Mother Church did not consider such a thing a sin. So, she was left to sit down and ruminate over things she cared not a little whit about. Most of her council had given up on her and were actively working with her successor, but she did not care. Only Edward refused to do that.

“Majesty, there are some papers from our spies in France that I feel need to be looked at.” Edward said.

“So, show them to the council and act on it.” Mary replied, looking at the portrait of her and her family, done before Katherine had died. The ache of her daughter’s loss was still a present hole in her system.

“Majesty, these are documents meant only for the Sovereign’s eyes.” Edward said.

Mary turned and looked at him. “So, what are they then?” She demanded.

“King Charles of France is likely going to be facing a civil war of the sort of proportions not seen since we ruled half of France. His mother’s continued reliance on the Duke of Guise has put him at odds with the senior Prince of the Blood in the Duke of Vendome who happens to be the King of Navarre. Navarre is a Protestant and the next in line to the throne after King Charles and his brother Prince Henry. Consequently, with the more punitive measures being taken by the regent, it seems France will erupt.” Edward said.

Mary looked at the man who had been her staunchest defender and her closest advisor and said. “And why should this concern us?” She looked back at the portrait of her family and added. “We have already prepared for the event of people fleeing the conflict. We do not need to keep completely abreast of what is going on there.”

“Your Majesty, should war erupt, it is not entirely likely that King Charles will win.” Edward responded.

“What do you mean?” Mary asked turning away from the portrait to look at Edward. “He Is the King, how can he not win?”

“His mother’s policies have driven many toward the camp of the Duke of Vendome and away from the Guise. Sooner or later, there might come a reckoning.” Edward replied.

“You think they would dethrone King Charles?” Mary asked. “For a heretic?”

“Yes. I think so.” Edward replied.

Mary considered that, she knew that perhaps there were some things that only a monarch could order and this was one of them. “Then have our friends in Navarre handle this matter. We do not want for something such as this.”

“At once, Your Majesty.” Edward replied.

Mary waved a hand to dismiss Edward, but before he left, she said. “And thank you, Edward.”

The man stopped at the doorway. “Your Majesty?”

“Thank you for being loyal all these years.” Mary said softly.

“Of course, Your Majesty, you are my Queen.” Edward replied, bowing slightly before he straightened and walked off.

Mary snorted slightly, got up herself and walked into the next room where her bed was. She laid down and closed her eyes and before she drifted off whispered. “I never wanted to be Queen, only to be loved.”

Chapter 80: A Whole New World

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 80: A Whole New World

March, 1559

England was a whole new world compared to Scotland. The whole country was bigger, it smelled different and the people were completely different. They seemed more refined, and more cultured compared to the lords in Scotland. The whole thing had been quite the shock to James as he’d ventured south of the border for the first time. He’d brought his wife and children, and his sister Mary, leaving behind his brothers Arthur and Robert, with Arthur serving as Lieutenant of Scotland in his absence. His wife’s parents had come with them as had her sisters, and half the Scottish court had decided to come as well, including John.

They’d stayed briefly at Alnwick with the Earl of Northumberland, and once again, James had seen how different things were. The Earl had been most hospitable to him, despite the history between their two families. And from there they’d ventured southwards, with the Earl accompanying them. London had seen them greeted with loud roars and cheers. And people coming to seek his blessing. It was quite something. The council had greeted him and they’d gradually started settling into St James Palace-how appropriate- and now two weeks later, James was attending his first council meeting.

“Gentlemen,” he began. “We thank you for the warm welcome you have extended us to our new home and for making our family feel welcome. There is much and more we must discuss, but first and foremost amongst those issues, is the matter of our coronation.”

The Duke of Somerset, who had met James in York, spoke then. “Sire, it is traditionally the role of the Earl Marshal to arrange the coronation, and at present that role sits with the Duke of Norfolk.”

“And where at present is the Duke?” James asked.

There was some awkward shuffling and then the Duke of Somerset replied. “He is currently in Ireland, he was sent there by Queen Mary after he caused a disturbance.” For some reason James got the feeling it wasn’t just a disturbance that the Duke had caused.

“Well summon him back.” James commanded.

“Yes Majesty.” Edward Seymour said. There was a brief pause and then, the man asked. “When would you wish for the coronation to take place?”

“As soon as possible.” James replied. “It is March now, so by the end of April at the latest.”

“Very well, Your Majesty.” Seymour said making a note of that on a piece of paper. “And are there any special details you wish included?”

“Special details?” James asked unsure of what the man meant.

“For example, at her coronation, Her Majesty Queen Mary had the cross and sceptre borne by Edward the Confessor brought out and held above her.” The Duke said. “And at his coronation, King Henry had the sword of King Alfred brought out and presented before him.”

James thought on that. In Scotland, they had the soil of the kingdom brought out and they dug their feet into it, to symbolise that they were anchored to it. As he looked at the men gathered before him, he had a feeling that such a request would be considered deeply alien. “We shall think on it.”

Seymour nodded, and another man, this one with a little bit of grey in his hair and beard spoke. “What of your siblings, Your Majesty?”

“What of them?” James responded cautiously.

“Are they to be considered members of the Royal Family?” Pembroke asked. “They all have the same claim as you, Your Majesty.”

James thought on this for a moment and then said. “Yes.” It was a simple decision for him to make. “Our brother Arthur is next in line after our own children, followed by our brother Robert and then our sister Mary.”

“Very well, Your Majesty. I shall have the council draw up the declaration.” Pembroke said.

“Good.” James said. “Now is there anything else?” He wanted to explore more of the new capital with Jane.

“Nothing for the moment, Sire.” Edward Seymour said.

VVD0D95

Banned
Question for you all, I'm looking into potential marriage partners for Elisabeth of Valois (b.1540) and am currently stuck. The options I have are: Alexander Farnese, Duke of Parma (b.1545), Francesco I de Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany (b.1541) and Charles III, Duke of Lorraine

Question for you all, I'm looking into potential marriage partners for Elisabeth of Valois (b.1540) and am currently stuck. The options I have are: Alexander Farnese, Duke of Parma (b.1545), Francesco I de Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany (b.1541) and Charles III, Duke of Lorraine
Lorraine or Tuscany... Parma is too young and likely not good enough for her

Chapter 81: Fleur de Pain

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 81: Fleur De Pain

June, 1559

Catherine took a breath. The guilt and grief was lodged firmly within her. Grief at losing her son and husband so quickly, guilt at being alive. She knew not what to do half the time and often felt as if she were flailing around like a drunkard, desperately searching for something to give her meaning. Charles was only twelve and two years away from being a man grown, and she hoped that perhaps with time he would become a great King, but for now that was many years away.

“Majesty,” Anne de Montmercy’s voice broke through her thoughts. “We have received word from our spies in Navarre.”

“And?” Catherine asked. She despised Navarre, every day that Antoine remained at large in that damned Kingdom she wanted to declare war.

“The King and Queen of Navarre have been meeting with the Spanish ambassador there. It seems they are discussing a potential marriage alliance between their son and one of King Philip’s daughters.” Anne said.

“Philip would marry his daughter to a heretic?” Catherine asked. “Surely that must be a mistake.”

“It seems that for the time being King Philip is willing to overlook any religious differences they might have.” Anne said. “He is desperate for a way to bring about destabilisation within France and he believes this is the way to do it.”

“Then we must counter this offer of marriage.” Catherine said instantly.

“You cannot mean to offer a marriage to Antoine of Navarre, Majesty?” Francis, Duke of Guise asked sounding horrified.

“No.” Catherine said. “I am not a fool.” She thought for a moment and then said. “I mean to offer the hand of my daughter Margaret to Philip’s heir. A marriage between those two would be far more beneficial than a marriage for him and Navarre.”

Montmercy ran with her thought. “It would also guarantee that we could divide the rest of Navarre between the two Kingdoms. He could get the southern portion and we could take the northern portion thus securing the border.”

“Exactly.” Catherine said.

“But then what would you do with Antoine and his wife and son?” Francis asked.

“Antoine and his brothers will no doubt fight during the invasion, and they will suffer for it. If Antoine dies then all the better for it.” Catherine said dismissively.

A look passed between Francis and his brother Claude. “Majesty, do you not think that would set a very dangerous precedent?”

“How so?” Catherine asked.

“Antoine is a Prince of the Blood, a heretical one yes, but still a Prince of the Blood. His death in battle could get some of the populace against you, and the King. Perhaps it would be better to leave him no choice but to surrender rather than engage in open battle.” Francis suggested.

“That is quite the chance from you, Francis.” Catherine said. “Before you were all for engaging in open battle, what has changed?”

Francis shifted slightly on his chair and then said. “I simply think it would be more conducive to have Antoine brought before the court and the King and tried, rather than killed in battle, Majesty.”

“Very well.” Catherine said. Deciding she had grown bored of this conversation she said. “Claude, I want you to lead the embassy to Florence, we shall have our daughter Isabella married to Francesco de Medici.” She had thought about this long and hard and had reached the conclusion that if they could bring Tuscany away from the Austrians for just a moment it would be beneficial.

“Yes Your Majesty, when do you wish for me to leave?” Claude asked.

“As soon as possible.” Catherine responded.

Claude nodded. “I shall make the arrangements today.”

Chapter 82: Somerset's Thoughts

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 82: Somerset’s Thoughts

September, 1559

Queen Mary had preferred meetings in the late morning, early afternoon, for it gave her time to be with her children. King James it seemed preferred to have his meetings early in the morning. The young King was only nineteen but he worked long and hard. Using the energy that youth gave him to tower over everyone. He worked hard and seemed to enjoy everything that came at him. Edward was impressed with the young man, even if, at his own advanced age, he somewhat wished for the late morning meetings that the Queen had once had.

It was early, the sun had just risen and already the King was dressed and had had his morning meal. Edward was managing on a cup of ale and some bread. The King looked at him intently and then said. “Our sister has written to say that she is with child.” The King seemed delighted with this and so was Edward.

“That is most pleasing news, Sire, congratulations.” Edward replied. A Prince would hopefully be born to the Princess Mary ensuring their ties with Denmark would only strengthen.

“Indeed it is.” The King said. “Now we must focus on marriages for our brothers.”

Edward thought on that for a moment and then cautiously said. “With respect, Sire, Prince Arthur is Lord Lieutenant of Scotland, so perhaps it would be better for the Scottish Privy Council to help you address this matter, and Prince Robert is only nine.”

The King waved a hand dismissively. “It is never too early to discuss betrothals, besides both our brothers are Princes of England as well as Scotland. It is only fitting that they be discussed here.”

For a moment Edward wanted to say to the King that he wanted no part in that, but then he remembered that what the King said was true, and that a chance existed to shape the future of the dynasty for centuries to come, or if not centuries certainly the next few decades. “Who did you have in mind, Sire?”

The King smiled approvingly. “So, Arthur is a charismatic lad, and handsome, and has a good head on his shoulders, therefore, to us it seems right that we match him with someone who is equally smart.”

Edward hesitated then, he knew the King wanted his brother to be happy, but the type of marriage he was proposing came with risks. “Perhaps a lady from England then? So, solidify the bonds of union?”

“Indeed, such a marriage would make sense.” The King said. “Perhaps Margaret Howard, the daughter of the Duke of Norfolk?”

Edward shook his head. “Howard is already quite powerful, Sire, and he holds a position on the council. Your Majesty would not wish to be seen as overtly favouring him.” Further to this was the fact that Howard was a bit mad, of that Edward was convinced.

“Then who?” the King asked.

“Joan Percy, Sire.” Edward said. “She is sister of the Earl of Northumberland and she is quite the beauty. Furthermore, it would formally end the tensions at the border.” There had been some skirmishes in that area despite the King’s ascension, and Edward knew the King had long wished to end such a thing.

The King looked thoughtful, his lips pursed, he then said. “Very well, send the missives out. We shall write to Arthur.”

“Yes, Sire.” Edward said making a note of it.

The King then pursed his lips once more before saying. “Robert is perhaps too young for marriage considerations, you are right.” Edward said nothing waiting to see where the King would take their attention to next. This time the King went somewhere Edward had not expected. “What do you imagine the reactions would be to a proposal of grand union?”

“Sire?” Edward asked unsure if he had heard the King correctly.

“A union of the crowns has happened, but what if there was a union of parliaments of laws and of customs between England, Scotland and Ireland into one nation.” The King asked.

Edward was not sure what to say, the thought sounded preposterous, but then no one had thought that the Tudor dynasty would die out as it had. “I am not sure, Sire. Such a thing has never occurred to anyone before.”

“Surely there would be no objection. One Parliament, one King, one law. To ensure the Kingdom can never be played against one another.” The King said passionately.

Edward wondered if this was some great dream, and then he said. “I can ask the nobles at court if you wish, Sire.”

“Yes, do so. We shall need their support for this to happen.” The King said simply.