Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, twelve countries worth (if you include the Austrian heart and thirteen if Wales is counted separately) are simply about blood. And I am wondering if liver paste means something different in Denmark than Norway. Over here people spread the stuff on their lunch breads all the time.

As for the Danish liver paste, I suspect it’s Danish pig liver pate (leverpostej), the most common pate in Denmark. Because at the top of my head I can’t really get what other dish it could be.

As for the Danish liver paste, I suspect it’s Danish pig liver pate (leverpostej), the most common pate in Denmark. Because at the top of my head I can’t really get what other dish it could be.
Yah, pretty much the same as in Norway. It is made with pork liver, salt, spices, lard, onion, flour, pepper, with the Norwegian one having a bit of pork meat as well. Or so says Wikipedia. Never tried it myself, but it certain fits with the custom here of sliced bread or knekkerbrod with sheep sausage slices, brown cheese, and so forth.

Really though, it is amazing that fried pizza was considered the worse thing in Scotland, considering the fame of haggis.

Wisconsinterritory.PNG

21n943I.png

If only we lived in a world where a greater Wisconsin actually existed... le sigh

Isaac Beach

Banned

I know this is a bit late, but I was actually looking around and this article suggests it's about 8% larger than Earth, based on some speculation regarding Westeros' geological history and climate zones. Unfortunately I couldn't find a Worlda sized-map of Westeros so I didn't feel comfortable putting an 8% larger Worlda of it together, I did find this map but this is a bigger map than a standard Worlda and Westeros is bigger than South America on the standard Worlda. If anyone has an actual Worlda sized map of ASOIAF let me know and I can quickly throw it together.
However, I did feel that the size difference wasn't prohibitive enough to stop me from making the 'Big World' version, which is three times larger than Earth, and I thought that'd be good fun. The map isn't very up to date, but it'll do for our purposes. As you can see this version of the world is massive, and I imagine you could have endless alien cultures throughout. I know that Sothoryos is at least as long as Essos is wide, and I saw some interesting suggestions that if the planet's climates scaled at this size the equator might just be too hot for habitation whatsoever, at least by Humans.

Blank Sea.png

I've defended the openness of the Map Thread to the extent that silly maps and whatnot should be allowed to be posted here, but as these aren't made by anyone here they probably belong in the 'Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread', not the main map thread.

The thing is, the only one proposing Greater Wisconsin is us good folks on the internet. Thusly, it would be dishonest to post it there. I will keep on waiting for the Kurdish militias in Syria to declare Greater Wisconsin a war goal, though.

Also, my Scottish side is about to stroke at deep-fried pizza. Sounds fatally delicious.
Agree about the pizza.
297px-Deep_Fried_Pizza.jpg
320px-Pizza_in_deep_fat_fryer_2.jpg
Looks like an american invention ("deep fry everything!") but apart from being a health killer it seems rather normal/eatable. I have never eaten this or my local culinary horror but considering it's blood tongue sausage I'm pretty sure I won't eat it, ever, at least not knowingly

Kick
YWdCyrD.jpg

All the land ever owned by Poland (not Poland-Lithuania) and the number of years they held it. It's interesting to think that some of the territory annexed by Poland following the Polish-Soviet War had never been owned by a purely Polish state up to that point.

Vuu

Banned
Something from brilliantmaps.com, in the category of "prejudice maps": food horrors map of Europe. (The theme for the day appears to be "blood")

culinaryhorrors-800x571.png

Your mileage may vary, of course: I am intrigued by deep fried pizza myself.

https://brilliantmaps.com/culinary-horrors-europe/

Eeeh, this is kind of a joke really, most of these are rather spread out everywhere. I mean "nestle"? Seriously? Anyways, raw sea urchins and maggot cheese are pretty... Out there. So are the Scandinavian fermented fishy stuff.

Anyways, this reminds me, I have yet to try some of our nastier delicacies

This is my first time posting in one of these threads, but here's a map I quickly whipped up:
upload_2019-5-14_16-55-16.png

Basically, the idea is that the population of each continent gets ISOTed onto an Earth that's otherwise devoid of humans. This is the one the North American world, a few decades after the countries recovered from most of their trade partners disappearing from existence overnight. (Mexico ended up annexing Central America during that initial turmoil just because they recovered quicker than the smaller countries to the south did, and Greenland basically became Denmark's successor.) I don't plan to do any timelines based on this, it's more like a thought experiment. And like I said, it's a rough map and I didn't spend much time on it, so some of the borders are probably off as well, and I might change it so a few areas declared independence in the turmoil (like Texas and Quebec gaining independence and Quebec being the ones to colonize France). I spent a while trying to avoid straight lines because for some reason seeing a straight line border immediately makes me think 'this isn't right' but eventually I relaxed about that

This is my first time posting in one of these threads, but here's a map I quickly whipped up:
Basically, the idea is that the population of each continent gets ISOTed onto an Earth that's otherwise devoid of humans. This is the one the North American world, a few decades after the countries recovered from most of their trade partners disappearing from existence overnight. (Mexico ended up annexing Central America during that initial turmoil just because they recovered quicker than the smaller countries to the south did, and Greenland basically became Denmark's successor.) I don't plan to do any timelines based on this, it's more like a thought experiment. And like I said, it's a rough map and I didn't spend much time on it, so some of the borders are probably off as well, and I might change it so a few areas declared independence in the turmoil (like Texas and Quebec gaining independence and Quebec being the ones to colonize France). I spent a while trying to avoid straight lines because for some reason seeing a straight line border immediately makes me think 'this isn't right' but eventually I relaxed about that

Interesting concept, but I don't know how likely it would be for Mexico to annex Central America. Plus there are French overseas territories in North America- St. Pierre and Miquelon, pluss several islands in the Lesser Antilles. One would expect them to form a rump-French Republic.

Status
Not open for further replies.