Proto-Dravidian Sources?

@fasquardon I wasn't saying that you said that Dravidian wasn't valid, rather that there may be a valid side that the IVC is a Dravidian civilization.

For example, historians discovery of stone celts with Indus symbols has been linked as an identifier while several linguists like Knorosov, Heras, and others have identified numerous linguistic links between Proto-Dravidian languages and the Indus Valley civilization. There is enough sizeable evidence in academia, I would argue to acknowledge one side that the Proto-Dravidians share a connected history with IVC. It certainly supports the genetic migrations. Many historians and antrhopologists have argued that with the collapse of the IVC with drought, the ongoing spread of IVC culture to the surrounding subcontinent provided the linguistic development that would later lead to the Dravidian language family, while the Indo-Gangetic Plain would later sanskritize.

I need to clarify that I am by no means an expert, but just a person who has done some research on the internet. I want to thank you for your comments that have brought to my attention new understandings of Dravidian history.

For example, historians discovery of stone celts with Indus symbols has been linked as an identifier while several linguists like Knorosov, Heras, and others have identified numerous linguistic links between Proto-Dravidian languages and the Indus Valley civilization. There is enough sizeable evidence in academia, I would argue to acknowledge one side that the Proto-Dravidians share a connected history with IVC. It certainly supports the genetic migrations. Many historians and antrhopologists have argued that with the collapse of the IVC with drought, the ongoing spread of IVC culture to the surrounding subcontinent provided the linguistic development that would later lead to the Dravidian language family, while the Indo-Gangetic Plain would later sanskritize.

Interesting... Now you have me wondering about how the material civilization in Southern India evolved. I'll have to check up on this. :)

fasquardon

Or maybe the IVC people were neither IE speakers NOR Dravidian speakers, but rather were on some now completely extinct branch of human language.

This and

Or even spoke a language related to... Burushaski (that unique language found in parts of Kashmir).

this may not even be mutually exclusive, it's been hypothesized that Basque and Burushaski could be opposite ends of an ancient language family spread by the dispersal of initial farming groups spreading out of Anatolia.

this may not even be mutually exclusive, it's been hypothesized that Basque and Burushaski could be opposite ends of an ancient language family spread by the dispersal of initial farming groups spreading out of Anatolia.
I've heard a theory that Semitic Afro-Asiatic, Anatolian (Hattic-Hurrian), Elamite, and may be IVC represents the very first farmers who manage to retain their late-Mesolithic hunting band cultural practises, unlike many other who went extinct in the Neolithic revolution. This means that if the Fertile Valley farmers themselves speak language isolates very different than each other's in Neolithic and Calcolithic, I think it's going to be hard to argue an Eurasianwide language family involving Basque and Burushaski...

Here's an Israeli study concluding that Agriculture transition led to the famous Semitic triconsonantal roots: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0083780

Selecting an archeologically dateable semantic field (e.g., materials), we have shown [6] that, in the reconstructed Proto-Semitic (PS) language [7,8], names of materials known to and utilized by early hunter-gatherers (wood, reed, stone, flint, lime, gravel, sand, mud, clay, cloth, skin and water) are overwhelmingly (85%) of 2c morphology, while materials introduced as of the Neolithic period in W. Asia (bitumen, sulfur, salt, charcoal, pottery, brick, wool, lead, antimony, copper, silver and gold) were all given 3c names. This non-uniform distribution of 2c vs. 3c lexemes in these two semantic fields suggests that a 2c > 3c language morphology change accompanied the transition to agriculture in the Early Neolithic, ca. 11,000 years Before Present (BP).

image023.jpg

Last edited: