Where could the United States and more powerful India butt heads

Say India gets to China level of development by Modern time

What areas could United States and a powerful India butt heads over

Would major trade routes such as strait of hormuz or strait of malacca or the red sea be areas of competition

India is an importer of oil from Iran so US sanctions affect Indian access to oil. Secure access to energy is of course essential to a growing industrial economy so a more powerful India would oppose sanctions more forcefully.

Last edited:
"naturally"
Well yeah, naturally. Carthagians, Greeks, Romans, Portuguese, Venetians, Spanish, Italians, French, British, Germans, Russians, Japanese have been practicing this kind of policy, the Americans and Chinese are practicing it right now. It's what big, powerful states do.

Well yeah, naturally. Carthaginians, Greeks, Romans, Portuguese, Venetians, Spanish, Italians, French, British, Germans, Russians, Japanese have been practicing this kind of policy, the Americans and Chinese are practicing it right now. It's what big, powerful states do.
When I think about India's history and it's role within the Non-aligned Movement, it makes me doubt as to whether or not they would be willing to engage in the same shenanigans as other powers would do. I don't think India would turn the Indian Ocean into a private lake, so much as make sure no body tries to close it off to anyone else. I think they would make sure that the Indian Ocean is a place for all nations to have equal say and usage in it. Unlike China with the SCS, I don't think India would go so far as to building military bases all over the Indian Ocean, which is too big and open, and I don't think that India would even go as far as to police the entire area, as that would go against the principal of respecting other nation's territory. It would also be highly impractical, and win them a bunch of bad blood with other countries, which would be really bad for India.

India and the US would probably but heads whenever the US interferes in another nation's sovereignty. Basically whenever these principles are violated.
  • Mutual respect for each other's territorial integrity and sovereignty.
  • Mutual non-aggression.
  • Mutual non-interference in domestic affairs.
  • Equality and mutual benefit.
  • Peaceful co-existence.

China. The Kuomintang win the Civil War and become a close U.S. ally but end up at loggerheads with India for reasons roughly similar to OTL. Faced with a powerful U.S. backed rival, New Delhi forges a stronger relationship with the USSR than IOTL, making the rivalry even more retrenched. Voila.

When I think about India's history and it's role within the Non-aligned Movement, it makes me doubt as to whether or not they would be willing to engage in the same shenanigans as other powers would do. I don't think India would turn the Indian Ocean into a private lake, so much as make sure no body tries to close it off to anyone else. I think they would make sure that the Indian Ocean is a place for all nations to have equal say and usage in it. Unlike China with the SCS, I don't think India would go so far as to building military bases all over the Indian Ocean, which is too big and open, and I don't think that India would even go as far as to police the entire area, as that would go against the principal of respecting other nation's territory. It would also be highly impractical, and win them a bunch of bad blood with other countries, which would be really bad for India.
First among equls, protecting the smaller friends and brothers from foreign predation by the former colonial powers, kinda like their relation with Nepal and Bhutan, even if they don't ask for the "help". ;)

It's really easy to justify, and it's sort of looking that way right now if you squint - India is heavily involved at the Horn of Africa, South Africa and the Malacca Strait, the 3 entry points into the Indian Ocean. In 10 years time the Indian Navy should have the muscle to make it look that way even without squinting.

First among equls, protecting the smaller friends and brothers from foreign predation by the former colonial powers, kinda like their relation with Nepal and Bhutan, even if they don't ask for the "help". ;)

It's really easy to justify, and it's sort of looking that way right now if you squint - India is heavily involved at the Horn of Africa, South Africa and the Malacca Strait, the 3 entry points into the Indian Ocean. In 10 years time the Indian Navy should have the muscle to make it look that way even without squinting.
Honestly, I was thinking more of the likes of Kenya and Indonesia as well as other nations that are directly touching the Indian Ocean rather than those who don't. And yeah, I know about their stuff(sort of) in Bhutan and Nepal, but I can't imagine India really wanting to block off East African or South East Asian ships for any reason.

Honestly, I was thinking more of the likes of Kenya and Indonesia as well as other nations that are directly touching the Indian Ocean rather than those who don't. And yeah, I know about their stuff(sort of) in Bhutan and Nepal, but I can't imagine India really wanting to block off East African or South East Asian ships for any reason.
No one's blocking off anybody anywhere. Until needed that is. At that point you need "influence" in the nations where you're expecting to do the blocking so they will participate, no matter the disadvantages and problems they themselves will have to endure during it.

Nope, way too much tension between the PRC and India
Didn't India join the SCO? And I here they are considering forming a type of oil cartel in order to have lower prices from the oil monarchies. Sure they have some issues, but I don't think it's so bad that they would allow themselves to succumb to a divide and conquer technique by the West.

Some Hinduvata (sp) government in this ATL more powerful India goes around making territorial claims on various Indian Ocean island states, neighboring South Asian countries, miscellaneous pieces of the Persian Gulf, and parts of China (Tibet, Yunnan) and Indonesia (Bali, Sumatra)?

And throw in the Antarctic for good measure.