The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

True. But they won't have OTL's excuse of shouting "long live the true queen [Katherine of Aragon]!"

I DO expect witchcraft rumors to start swirling pretty soon, though. People regarded Henry's abandonment of Katherine and taking up with Anne Boleyn as being the product of witchcraft long before Henry's January 1536 comment that he had "made this marriage seduced by charms and sortileges". Here, his behaviour is still more scandalous! His wife died doing her duty, his mistress then bore him a son, and he has married in secret to a jumped up mercer's (as the Boleyns were regarded by some) daughter! All before his mourning period is over! Clearly Marie must've bewitched Henry and still worse, the Lady Mary too

I'll give you Bessie, but, assuming a year, as I am doing in this story - I think Wolsey mentions it when talking of Alencon's death - Henry's mourning period is long over by the time he meets and marries Marie. Katherine has been dead a good 20 months by now. If the rumours fly at all, they'll swirl around Bessie ITTL, not Marie.

I'm foreseeing a potential influx of witchcraft rumors... This is NOT looking good.

See my reply to Kellan above, but yes. Chaos is about to ensue, if it hasn't already!

Sorry to be that guy again.

But IOTL Charles IV of Alençon, didn’t die until 1525 in Lyon. Has he been killed without us being informed.

In answer to your question, I raise you this from section 18:

“I know, Your Eminence, and I apologise, but this has just come off the boat from France and I felt you ought to know immediately.”

So saying, George pushed the missive he carried across the desk. His master picked it up and scanned it, his double chins quivering gently as his beady eyes flicked across the page.

When he had finished it, he remained silent for a few moments, rubbing his chin – one of them, anyway- across his open palm thoughtfully.

“So,” he said at last, “The Duke of Alençon has died in a hunting accident.”

George nodded, though kept silent. He knew the prodigious brain under that Cardinal’s hat would be working furiously and he had no desire to spoil his master’s train of thought.

Sure enough, within a few moments, Wolsey stood up and began to pace the room, thinking aloud.

“This leaves King Francis’s sister Marguerite a widow. A beautiful widow, they say. A beautiful widow only a year younger than His Majesty.”

Speaking of Marguerite d'Angoulême, can I just ask a question about her behaviour from OTL.

At the meeting between Henry and François at Calais in 1532, his wife and sister famously refused to attend. Eleonore of Austria I sorta get. She was Karl V's sister, and even though she had never met Katherine of Aragon like her her brother had (AFAIK), I could imagine she would find receiving her aunt's "replacement" or her uncle (by marriage's) "mistress" as insulting.
But what was the reason for Marguerite's refusal? Do we know? Why did she refuse if she and Anne had been on such good terms?

I know it's pretty irrelevant as the agreement is a dead letter, but would the French really agree to hand over Anjou to the English as Marguerite's dowry?

I know it's pretty irrelevant as the agreement is a dead letter, but would the French really agree to hand over Anjou to the English as Marguerite's dowry?

I needed a county that had been in English hands before that wasn't Calais. That was about as far as I took that thinking process, tbh. And yup, it's dead-letter anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Speaking of Marguerite d'Angoulême, can I just ask a question about her behaviour from OTL.

At the meeting between Henry and François at Calais in 1532, his wife and sister famously refused to attend. Eleonore of Austria I sorta get. She was Karl V's sister, and even though she had never met Katherine of Aragon like her her brother had (AFAIK), I could imagine she would find receiving her aunt's "replacement" or her uncle (by marriage's) "mistress" as insulting.
But what was the reason for Marguerite's refusal? Do we know? Why did she refuse if she and Anne had been on such good terms?

I don't honestly know, but the 1532 meeting in Calais won't be happening in this story, so it's not something I am going to worry about here, though you have made me curious now...

I don't honestly know, but the 1532 meeting in Calais won't be happening in this story, so it's not something I am going to worry about here, though you have made me curious now...
I think it had more to do with how badly Henry had treated KoA, and how Anne was generally viewed as the Great Whore. Remember, this was during the height of "The King's Great Matter". and that's not happening this time, so maybe people, even Royal People, might view Marie more charitably...

XXXVII: July-August 1520
Only a snippet this time, but I couldn't leave this out!

Cardinal Wolsey didn’t often ride a horse. He preferred to be carried in a litter, with the curtains drawn back so that everyone could see him. However, litters were painfully slow and this treaty couldn’t wait. Because of that, he forced himself to overcome his scruples and ride out from London to join the Court at Tutbury.

Only to find that the King would have nothing to do with the matter at all.

“You dare go behind my back! You dare gamble away my hand in marriage as though I am no more than a pawn in chess and not a person with desires and feelings of my own?! You dare! Well, let me tell you, Your Eminence, that I will stand for this arrogance not a second longer! You will write to your envoys in Paris telling them that I refuse to ratify this treaty!"

"But Sire,"

"No buts, My Lord of York. Christ, you think yourself a second King, don't you? Well, those days are over. You will write to France. And then you will relinquish your London estates to the Crown and retire to your estates in York. Count yourself I’m no harsher. Go!”

“But Your Majesty… Can’t you even consider…”

“No, fool! I’m already married!”

Wolsey couldn’t hide his shock. “Married?! To whom?”

“Lord Ormonde's daughter, Lady Marie." [1]

“Lady Mary?! Ormonde's daughter?? Your Majesty, I beg you, please reconsider! This union is most foolish!”

“I married once to please my country and got nothing but grief for my pains. Now I marry to please myself. The Lady Marie will be the finest Queen England has known since Philippa of Hainault, I’m sure of it. I will hear nothing against her, do you hear? Now go! Get out of my sight! Count yourself lucky I’m no harsher and go!”

Faced with the King’s fury, Wolsey had no choice but to bow out of the room and do as he was told.

[1] Henry referring to Mary as Marie here is a deliberate choice, however. He is using the name his love prefers, as a sign of their intimacy, even though calling her Queen Mary might have had more effect...

Last edited:
That felt quite real, in the rage that Henry had.

You would of thought Wolsey would of known it's a bad idea to go behind Henry's back, it'll make him feel a child again when he was told what he could/couldn't do and play on those insecurities. I know he couldn't really but had he said something about talking to France so Henry felt in the loop he might have been able to survive more than banishment.

I assume if he's told Wolsey then the rest of the court are about to find out?

That felt quite real, in the rage that Henry had.

You would of thought Wolsey would of known it's a bad idea to go behind Henry's back, it'll make him feel a child again when he was told what he could/couldn't do and play on those insecurities. I know he couldn't really but had he said something about talking to France so Henry felt in the loop he might have been able to survive more than banishment.

I assume if he's told Wolsey then the rest of the court are about to find out?

They are, that is the next chapter. I just wanted this one to stand alone, short though it was. And then we go to France. I promise.

Only a snippet this time, but I couldn't leave this out!

Cardinal Wolsey didn’t often ride a horse. He preferred to be carried in a litter, with the curtains drawn back so that everyone could see him. However, litters were painfully slow and this treaty couldn’t wait. Because of that, he forced himself to overcome his scruples and ride out from London to join the Court at Tutbury.

Only to find that the King would have nothing to do with the matter at all.

“You dare go behind my back! You dare gamble away my hand in marriage as though I am no more than a pawn in chess and not a person with desires and feelings of my own?! You dare! Well, let me tell you, Your Eminence, that I will stand for this arrogance not a second longer! You will write to your envoys in Paris telling them that I refuse to ratify this treaty!"

"But Sire,"

"No buts, My Lord of York. Christ, you think yourself a second King, don't you? Well, those days are over. You will write to France. And then you will relinquish your London estates to the Crown and retire to your estates in York. Count yourself I’m no harsher. Go!”

“But Your Majesty… Can’t you even consider…”

“No, fool! I’m already married!”

Wolsey couldn’t hide his shock. “Married?! To whom?”

“The Lady Mary Rochford.” [1]

“Lady Mary Rochford?! Ormonde's daughter?? Your Majesty, I beg you, please reconsider! This union is most foolish!”

“I married once to please my country and got nothing but grief for my pains. Now I marry to please myself. The Lady Marie will be the finest Queen England has known since Philippa of Hainault, I’m sure of it. I will hear nothing against her, do you hear? Now go! Get out of my sight! Count yourself lucky I’m no harsher and go!”

Faced with the King’s fury, Wolsey had no choice but to bow out of the room and do as he was told.

[1] I am under the impression that Mary and Anne would have been referred to as Mary and Anne Rochford rather than Boleyn following their father's ennoblement as Viscount Rochford, much like George was Lord Rochford by Courtesy after his father became Earl of Wiltshire and Ormonde (or just Ormonde TTL). If anyone knows better, please do correct me. Henry referring to Mary as Marie here is a deliberate choice, however. He is using the name his love prefers, as a sign of their intimacy, even though calling her Queen Mary might have had more effect...
No, Mary and Anne surname will still be Boleyn (maybe they will be called Ormonde, but surely not Rochford who is the title of their brother not father. OTL they were referred as Rochford when that was the main title of their father)

Section XXXVIII - August 1520
Wolsey’s conversation with the King might have come to naught as far as Wolsey was concerned, but it did have one far-reaching consequence. Eager to avoid any more unwelcome discussions about his marriage prospects, Henry had Archbishop Warham proclaim his marriage to the Earl of Ormonde’s daughter, Lady Mary Boleyn, throughout the land. In early August, he also had her processed before the Court as their new Queen Mary at Pontefract Castle in Yorkshire.

“You’ll be crowned as soon as we get back to London this September,” he whispered to her, watching with delight as, clothed in a newly sumptuous gown of cloth of silver trimmed with purple velvet ribbon, she accepted the homage being paid to her by the nobles as though she’d been doing it all her life.

“Yes,” Henry thought, “I made the right choice in Marie. She might be young, but she’s taken to this life like a duck to water. Looking at her, you’d never guess that her father was any less than a Duke. France turned her into a young woman fit to be Queen.”

“Why?” Marie’s murmured question brought him out of his musings. He started and looked across at her.

“What’s that, darling?”

“Why do I have to wait until we get to London? Can’t I be crowned in York or Newcastle instead of London?”

“But it’s tradition that all England’s Queens are crowned from the Tower. Why don’t you want to wait? Are you that eager to be crowned?” A note of something unpleasant crept into Henry’s voice. Why did Marie want to be crowned so quickly? Had she only married him for the power of the Crown, despite her protestations to the contrary? But no. She couldn’t have done. She was too sweet a girl for that.

As though she could read his flicker of misgivings, Marie reached across and took his hand, “Of course I’m not. I’ll do whatever you think best in the end. But I just meant…Katherine was so loved up here. She’s still so grieved, even almost two years later. Wouldn’t it be really something to give the Northerners a day of Royal joy to celebrate, so that they could make a fresh start? Come to terms with what has happened more completely than they already have?”

She turned her big blue-grey eyes on him and Henry felt his heart melt. Despite himself, he could see the sense in what she said. Yet, how could he deny her the traditionally lavish coronation that all the Queens before her had had? That his first – that Katherine had had? It was the least he could do for her. After the hurried secrecy of their wedding, a lavish coronation was the least he could do for her.

He hesitated and while he was hesitating, the herald banged his staff on the floor, “Her Grace the Dowager Queen of France and His Grace the Duke of Suffolk!"

Every eye in the room – Henry and Marie’s included – flicked to the doors. There, resplendent in matching outfits of navy-blue satin, stood Charles Brandon and his wife Mary, Henry’s sister.

They advanced towards the dais and everyone held their breath. It was common knowledge that the King’s sister had loved Katherine of Aragon passionately; had hated Bessie Blount just as fiercely as she had loved the late Queen. And this was her own former Lady in Waiting. How on Earth would she react?

Those who thought she might fly into a rage – and there were more than a few, it had to be said – had underestimated the strength of Mary Brandon’s regal poise and self-control.

Keeping her face poker-straight, she dropped into a rigid curtsy beside her bowing husband, “Your Majesty. My Lady Queen.”

“Mary, sister,” Henry answered, rising to kiss her, relieved she hadn’t kicked up a fuss, “It pleases us to see you join us this evening. You and Charles must dine with us at the top table.”

“If it pleases you, Sire,” Mary replied coolly, hesitating for the merest fraction of a second – so briefly that it was hard to know if she really had hesitated at all. She took her assigned place beside the Queen and signed for a tumbler of wine.

As she drank it, the watching crowd couldn’t help murmuring in amazement at how calmly she was behaving. Had she truly accepted her brother’s choice of wife? It seemed impossible. If there was one thing Mary Brandon nee Tudor was keen on, it was status. Love or not, many believed she’d never have married her current husband at all, had he not been a Duke. Yet, here she was, treating a mere Earl’s daughter as though she had every right to be Queen. What had happened? Had she lost her senses? Or had she merely accepted what she knew she could not change?

*** *** ***​
Privately, Mary had done neither. In fact, even mere minutes before she had been due to make her appearance for dinner, she had been railing against her husband the Duke of Suffolk.

“This is all your fault!” she screeched, flinging a glass of wine at him.

“My fault?! How is it my fault?!” he exclaimed, jumping aside out of the way.

“You took him whoring!” A silver goblet made its way towards his head.

“You let him fall for Bessie Blount!” An expensive bronze paperweight shaped like a stag.

“You threw Marie at him! She went into his arms on your orders,” Charles reminded her, chancing a step forward, then falling back as all three of a venomous glare, a dangerous snarl of fury and a heavy candelabra – candles and all – flew towards him.

“Only because of Bessie! And anyway, he wasn’t meant to marry her! If you hadn’t witnessed the wedding, he couldn’t have done! It wouldn’t have been legal!”

A leather-bound Bible spun through the air. He ducked, then, as she searched the room for something else to hurl at him, dashed forward and grabbed hold of her, shaking her by the shoulders.

“Enough!” He roared. “Enough! You’re making a fool of yourself!”

“And you three are making a fool out of the whole of England!”

“No, we’re making her King happy, which is more than you seem to be able to appreciate or want to do!”

Mary suddenly froze in his arms, as though her furious energy had been sucked out of her by his words.

“How dare you,” she hissed. “How dare you, Charles! You know I care for my brother more than anything.”

“Really?” Charles scoffed. When she didn’t answer, he sighed, loosening his grip on her, though he still didn’t let her go completely. “Then you will forget about this French marriage and you will go out there and bend the knee to young Lady Marie as though nothing gives you greater pleasure. Do I make myself clear?”

“But…”

“Do I make myself clear? Do you understand, Mary, that if you don’t do it, I’ll make you rue the day you were born?”

With a final shake, he released her and, ten minutes later, they were walking into the Great Hall.