Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've started working on a scenario that combines two ideas I had, one where all of Europe is the Holy Roman Empire and the other where Europe is populated by speakers of both modern and dead/historic languages and dialects. Here's my progress so far:
I haven't organized the key yet (especially for languages). It's the Holy Roman Empire with living and dead languages so it'll obviously be confusing, but I'll create a writeup describing the map when I finish it. This is definitely a work in progress, and I'm open to suggestions. Do you all think there's a good way to approach enclaves and exclaves without making the map unbearably messy? Should I include subdivisions for non-federal larger states?

Like the idea, look forward to seeing how the rest of Europe turns out

Isaac Beach

Banned
That name drop. It taunts me. :v

It taunts me as well, aha. I’m actually still debating the circumstances by which Sabah came under Filipino sovereignty, and whether that involved an intermediate period under the US or if Britain sold it outright. We’ll see I suppose.

Oooh, that's a really neat map!! :D
I like it a lot.

The only thing about the scenario I'd suggest changing is James Bertram Brooke's offspring. In OTL, he lived in Scotland, and then formed a family when living in the UK.

ITTL, if the Brooke dynasty is still in power in Sarawak and living there, it's almost certain that James Bertram Brooke would have a different spouse and different children. Indeed it wouldn't at all surprise me at all if he ended up with a spouse from one of the native peoples of Sarawak, and possibly giving indigenous names to his children.

Thanks a bunch, glad you like it.

Ah yes, I did consider that actually. I'm usually a butterfly absolutist, in most of my work everyone born after the POD in our timeline doesn't. But here I took a different tact because the extant Brooke family are actually pretty interesting: Jason Brooke has an MPhil in international relations and is an expert on Sarawakian history, a member of the Royal Asiatic Society, and lives between London and Kuching. It seemed a shame to just erase him and replace him with some faceless equivalent.
ITTL there's a large contingent of Anglo-Sarawakians, so my conceit is that James Bertram's wife, Karen Lappin, was among them and she still met and married Bertram. That being said, incorporating some native names, such as historical Sarawakian figures as Pengiran Raja Muda Hashim, is a good idea and I might go back and add those in.

World Map, 2019 - Liberty and Honor
Q2QDx6G.png

FEATURES:
  • United States had annexed Canada after the War of 1812
  • Gran Colombia may include Peru and Bolivia as well as Atacama Region.
  • Argentina with Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, and Southern part of Brazil becomes British dominion.
  • Australasia with New Zealand but excluding West Australia.
  • Brazil without the northern parts since the French, British, and Dutch had colonized the northern part which eventually splits up with the independent Grao-Para.
  • Confederate States would have continuously existed.
  • Ireland would likely to remain part of the United Kingdom due to successful passage of Irish Home Rule Act.
  • Belgium would have like never existed as French and Dutch-speaking parts are part of the respective countries.

I will cooperate!

Uncontacted.png

All uncontacted tribes ISOTed to Virgin Earth, some four or five thousand year later.

The Amazonians haven't developed agriculture so much as permaculture, using techniques like managed forests to increase food surpluses while preserving the environment. These societies are very decentralized and egalitarian with not much social stratification, but they're due to collapse in the next millennium due to the introduction of new diseases. There are some state-level societies on the coast that have sophisticated maritime travel, a few of them even got blown across the Atlantic and wound up in Africa where they'll really confuse archaeologists way down the line. Meanwhile the tribes of the upper Rio do le Plata have domesticated the llama, which is allowing them to out-compete their neighbors and really do a number on them, sending hunter-gatherers spilling all over the place - some of them might even get pushed up/over the Andes where they'll eventually domesticate the potato.

The Sentinelese used sea travel to kind of blob out around the Bay of Bengal and the South China Sea and they mostly remained fishers or hunter-gatherers, but pressure from the expanding Papuans has forced them to adapt. The Papuans were the only agriculturalists at the time of the ISOT so they've had more time to develop, and they've had multiple civilizations rise and fall. The center of their civilization has shifted to Indonesia, where their crop package has spread to the Sentinelese, allowing them to build some pretty complex societies. The Ganges River Valley has some decentralized agriculturalist societies but they're getting more complex, while the civilization around the Pearl River is working on domesticating rice. Currently it looks like the descendants of the Sentinelese living in OTL South China/Northern Vietnam will be the first to develop metalworking.

TemplarrepublicofSinai.png

The history of the Templar Republic of Sinai goes back to the middle of the 19th century. The Templars was part of Pietist movement in Germany and Scandinavia which pushed for Christian resettlement in the historical Judaea. The movement got some popularity with hundreds leaving to settle in the Ottoman province of Jerusalem and Beirut. But the Ottomans fearing a European filibuster, limited Templar settlement. As such some Templar sought Egyptian permission to settle in Sinai. Which was given.

The first Templar settlement in Sinai was Moseshagen founded near the small settlement of Arish in 1881. The Templar would use the annual flash floods of Wadi El-Arish to get water to their crops and their population grew. The Templar population would grow to 11000 in Judaea and 7000 in Sinai by 1914. As WWI started the British wanted to interneer the Egyptian Templars, but the Egyptian king seeing the Templars as productive tax payers objected to it and the British decided to leave it be. The Ottoman Templar was later interneered by the British in Egypt and while most was allowed to return, around 700 wasn’t these instead settled in Sinai.

In the interbellum the Templars was limited in their settlement in Palestine and their population there only grew to 26.000 by 1939, while in Egypt where the king welcomed them they grew to 46.000 thanks immigration from Europe. The Templars kept a high birth rate. With WWII the Templars of Palestine was interneered again, but their Egyptian Templars was again left alone. LAter with the establishment of Israel, the Palestinian Templars was expelled, they choose to large extent to settle in Egypt.

The Templars was by the Egyptian government seen as anti-Jewish (and they too large extent were). So they was allowed to stay in Sinai under the Republic the Templars created the large dam Lake Nasser, which allowed to expand their agriculture. As such the Templar population grew to 150.000 by 1967. When Israel conquered Sinai. Most Arabs was expelled, while Israel suddenly had a problem how to deal with the Templars. There was a lot support to deport the German speaking Templars, but Israel feared that expelling all these Christian Europeans would make them lose support so they let them stay.

The years of Israeli rule resulted in a economic boom as they could export to Israel and trading with the new Jewish settlements. The Templar settlement also became a populate target of American and European Christian tourism. As such when with the Egypt-Israel Peace Treaty, it was decided that Eastern Sinai would become a autonom region of Egypt, and Western Sinai would be demilitarised.

The Templars have continued their expansion of agriculture, created several new forests. they keep a open border with Israel and are a popular with Israeli tourism. Sinai have also kept some of the Israeli settlers.

Templar Republic of Sinai

Population: 713.003 (Templars 70%, Jewish/Israeli 17%, Bedouin 5% Other 8%)

Official Religion: Lutheranism

Minorities religions: Judaism, Islam, other Christian groups

Official languages: German, Arab

Minority language: Hebrew, Scandinavian languages, English, Yiddish, Amharic, Finnish

Deleted member 114175

The history of the Templar Republic of Sinai goes back to the middle of the 19th century. ...
Very cool scenario and map, which makes me wonder why this didn't happen in OTL despite all the colonialism that was happening at the time.

World Map, 2019 - Liberty and Honor
9cGzYl5.png

FEATURES:
  • United States had annexed Canada after the War of 1812
  • Gran Colombia may include Peru and Bolivia as well as Atacama Region.
  • Argentina with Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, and Southern part of Brazil becomes British dominion.
  • Australasia with New Zealand but excluding West Australia.
  • Brazil without the northern parts since the French, British, and Dutch had colonized the northern part which eventually splits up with the independent Grao-Para.
  • Confederate States would have continuously existed.
  • Ireland would likely to remain part of the United Kingdom due to successful passage of Irish Home Rule Act.
  • Belgium would have like never existed as French and Dutch-speaking parts are part of the respective countries.
  • Atlantic Union is emulated to the OTL's European Union with composing of members (United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Netherlands, Yisrael, Scandinavia, and Portugal).
  • China had split up into two countries, East China was liberal and westernized government and much economically developed while in the West China, the country had been nationalistic and militarist.
  • Intermarium formed to buffer between the Western-led bloc and the Soviet-led bloc.
FIXES:
  • Adding the colors of Aleutian Islands.

All uncontacted tribes ISOTed to Virgin Earth

This is both an awesome idea and an amazing concept.

It’s hard to come by reliable data, but it seems there are no more than 400 sentinalese alive today. In contrast, in Papua there are 400-700 uncontacted tribes, meaning that if they individually number as much as the sentinalese they could be 40,000 to 280,000 of them. With such difference in numbers, I have no trouble imagining Papuans inhabiting a much, much larger area than the Sentinalese. Even if you add in the Jarava (a group related to the Sentinalese that sort of returned to being uncontacted after a period of more substantial contact) you still have only about 600 Sentinalese compared to probably over a hundred thousand Papuans. That’s a difference big enough to just end in assimilation.

There’s also some speculation that there are uncontacted tribes in the Congo.

dd4h5bk-76f696f9-60a8-49a9-8192-8fb8c5f56fa6.jpg

dd4h5ev-2a38211c-a07d-4282-b3f1-ddd9dfaf918b.jpg

dd4h5jk-1e741c44-b156-4f47-8cd6-2e9836b5a014.jpg

And that are the final three maps of my shoort Ancient Middle East series - hope you liked them as much as i did making
them - i did some further ones, as they were requested - but they weren't an initial part of my series.

Two of them showing the years 1475 BC and 1500 BC (before my first map) and one showing the year 640 BC
and i'm also working on another map showing also the rest of Europe in 640 BC, its not yet finished. I'll post it when it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.