Gabingston

Kicked
I can see why the Electoral College was abolished, with such a large state like California being a swing state, the entire campaign must've been there.
How did California end up a swing state? I know it was one as recently as the Early 90s, but how is it still a swing state in current year 2019?

I know you've at least mentioned the situation in Yugoslavia, but can we receive a closer look at it?

Indeed. Working on it now!

I can see why the Electoral College was abolished, with such a large state like California being a swing state, the entire campaign must've been there.

Yup.

How did California end up a swing state? I know it was one as recently as the Early 90s, but how is it still a swing state in current year 2019?

California is primarily a swing state thanks to its large Hispanic population, which is a swinging voting bloc as a whole; it is the most politically diverse group and Hispanic interests are a key issue in many campaigns. There is a reason why both parties ran a policy of making Spanish an official language.

Russia seems to have the imperial eagle on its flag... It is an restored Empire or is just symbolism?

It is actually the coat of arms of the OTL Russian Federation. However, Russia is also a monarchy. It is not a restored Empire because it was never officially abolished, although it was sidelined from the 1930s onwards.

Map of Germany, List of German Governors
So this is what I've been working on recently:

QTxr8nK.png

7M1eade.png

The German Federation is comprised of sixteen federal states, which are co-sovereign with the federal government. The states have varying histories; the Kingdom of Saxony has existed since 1806, while the Free State of Franconia gained its independence from Bavaria in 2002. Most states trace their history or borders to the 1947 German constitutional referendum, which drastically reformed Germany in the aftermath of the World War.
The German states are notable for their heavy monarchical influence; eight have the position of Governor given to a German royal. Three more states are de facto monarchies, although monarchy has never been enshrined in those states' statutes.
All German states have parliamentary forms of government, many in the Westminster tradition, thanks to heavy British influence after the World War. Therefore the position of Governor is purely ceremonial and usually possesses only a few reserve powers; most power is wielded by the First Minister.
Each Governor holds a seat in the Chamber of States, along with a number of government officials from each state.​

How did Hispanics end up as a swing votint bloc, when they vote 2:1 Democrat IOTL?
I assume it's in part because they are religious (more likely to vote for a more socially conservative party) and a more oppressed/underrepresented group (conflicting - they would benefit from a more socially liberal party). Thus, depending on individual values, they'd vote one way or another.
At least, that's my guess.

Gabingston

Kicked
I assume it's in part because they are religious (more likely to vote for a more socially conservative party) and a more oppressed/underrepresented group (conflicting - they would benefit from a more socially liberal party). Thus, depending on individual values, they'd vote one way or another.
At least, that's my guess.
Hispanics are still more religious than the national average IOTL, yet they vote for the socially liberal party that opposes many of their religious beliefs (pro-life, traditional marriage etc.).

So this is what I've been working on recently:

QTxr8nK.png

7M1eade.png

The German Federation is comprised of sixteen federal states, which are co-sovereign with the federal government. The states have varying histories; the Kingdom of Saxony has existed since 1806, while the Free State of Franconia gained its independence from Bavaria in 2002. Most states trace their history or borders to the 1947 German constitutional referendum, which drastically reformed Germany in the aftermath of the World War.
The German states are notable for their heavy monarchical influence; eight have the position of Governor given to a German royal. Three more states are de facto monarchies, although monarchy has never been enshrined in those states' statutes.
All German states have parliamentary forms of government, many in the Westminster tradition, thanks to heavy British influence after the World War. Therefore the position of Governor is purely ceremonial and usually possesses only a few reserve powers; most power is wielded by the First Minister.
Each Governor holds a seat in the Chamber of States, along with a number of government officials from each state.​

That is lovely! Especially as I am German! Thanks for this information!

Who leads Germany as a whole, and could you post the infoboxes (or other information) for the most recent election?

National Anthem of the Balkan Federation
I know you've at least mentioned the situation in Yugoslavia, but can we receive a closer look at it?

I've got a full map in the works for the Balkans, but have this in the meantime.

I am a slight national anthem nerd (what do you mean, memorising the Finnish and Kiwi national anthems isn't normal?), so I spent half my afternoon looking at all the texts of national anthems in Serbo-Croatian and Albanian to produce this:

State Anthem of the Balkan Federation

22.png

Lyrics

(Illyrian
or Yugoslavian/Albanian)

Ponosna i slavna
Krajina predaka
Živjećeš u srcu našem
Dov'jeka

O mëmëdhe i dashur
Vend i trimnisë
Vend i të parëve tonë
Ne të dalim Zot

N`ty shqipet fluturojnë
Dhe yjet ndriçojnë
Çerdhe e dashurisë
O nënë e jonë

Pokoljenja tvoja
Kazuju jedno
Mi idemo u budućnost
Zajedno!

Mi idemo u budućnost
Zajedno!

(English)

Proud and famous
Land of ancestors
You shall live in our hearts
Forever more

O beloved motherland
Land of bravery
Land of our ancestors
We will protect you

On you eagles fly
And stars shine
Nest of love
O our mother

Generations of yours
Grow up as one
We go into the future
Together!

We go into the future
Together!​

That is lovely! Especially as I am German! Thanks for this information!

Who leads Germany as a whole, and could you post the infoboxes (or other information) for the most recent election?

Germany's current Chancellor is Ursula von der Leyen (of the DVP, since January), and the current Federal President (with even less powers than OTL) is Sigmar Gabriel.

Minor quibble: south of Khartoum, things get less desert-y in the Sudan.

https://www.weadapt.org/placemarks/maps/view/34636

Perhaps change to "the only arable land outside the far south is found."

Let me fix that...

After complaining, I really should add my compliments to this quite fine thread.

Why thank you! I very much appreciate it, especially from such an auspicious critic.

Last edited:
Map of the Balkan Federation
I told you I had a map in the works, although I wasn't expecting it to be quite such a big one.

4Rrr3zq.jpg

The Balkan Federation is a country in Southeastern Europe, located on the Balkan Peninsula. Its capital is Sarajevo, while the largest city is Belgrade. It is bordered by Italy to the northeast, Austria and Hungary to the north, Romania and Bulgaria to the east, and Macedonia and Greece to the south. Much of the country is mountainous or hilly, although there are some flat regions both inland and on the coast.

The Balkan Federation's history begins in 1918, when the treaties of Créteil and Orly after the Great Imperial allowed Serbia to annex the former Austrian provinces of Bosnia, Dalmatia and Croatia-Slavonia. In the interwar period, Serbia's militaristic government annexed both Montenegro and Albania and established the Empire of Yugoslavia, aiming to create a unified South Slavic state. The fierce repression under this regime ultimately resulted in the Autumn Uprisings of 1990, which eventually became a widespread insurgency across the Empire, with separatist groups clamouring for independence. In 1994, all opposition forces were united into the Balkan Federation, which promised greater independence, an end to national repression and greater self-determination.

Following the 1997 Serbian National Awakening, most nations recognised the Balkan Federation as Yugoslavia’s successor, although it still held out in eastern and western Bosnia and Dalmatia, resulting in the Bihać and Srebrenica Massacres of ethnic Bosniaks. Today, Yugoslavia holds out only in coastal regions and the Vrbas canton of western Bosnia.

The country is divided into 12 cantons, most with a predominant ethnic group (but with no discrimination permitted in favour of one group), although it only fully administers nine. Each canton elects a local government and members of the Federation’s legislature, the State Assembly. The executive, the State Council, is elected with equal representation afforded to the Federation’s six recognised constituent peoples: Albanians, Montenegrins, Serbs, Croats, Bosniaks and Magyars.

Despite the ongoing conflict, the Balkan Federation is increasingly popular with tourists, which augments its otherwise partially industrial and partially agricultural economy, one of the fastest growing in Europe. It is the newest member of the Union of Nations, having achieved admission in 2007.

Questions?

Questions?

1. Why did Belgrade end up such a small city? Did someone nuke Belgrad? Especially as this is supposed to be a Serbia-based state...

2. Why is the Balkan Federation more popular with tourists than remnant Yugoslavia? After all, they have most of the beautiful coast and islands.

3. Who leads the Federation? How democratic are these elections?

1. Why did Belgrade end up such a small city? Did someone nuke Belgrad? Especially as this is supposed to be a Serbia-based state...

Belgrade is, in fact, the largest city in the Balkan Federation, which I mentioned in the description. However, beacuase this is a political map, it makes no distinction between non-capital megacity and a tiny village that happens to also be the administrative centre of that canton. When, last year, the capital of Morava Canton was moved to Kragujevac bracuse of its more central position, maps like these show Belgrade as only another town, when in fact it is the Federation’s largest city and also its financial centre. So no, no one nuked Belgrade.

Also, what do you mean by Serbia-based state? If you mean that the majority of its population are Serbs, you are correct. If you mean that political power is concentrated in the hands of the Serbs, you are not; politics is heavily decentralised and Serbs actually have comparatively little power, which leads to calls for their secession.

2. Why is the Balkan Federation more popular with tourists than remnant Yugoslavia? After all, they have most of the beautiful coast and islands.

The genocidal dictatorship/war zone nature of the remnant Yugoslavia makes it a fair bit less popular.

3. Who leads the Federation? How democratic are these elections?

The federation has a collective executive, the State Council, which makes decisions as a group. The current chair of the Council is Edi Rama. Its elections are some of the most democratic in the world, except in Bosnia and Upper Dalmatia cantons, where they are occasionally marred by violence and the still-ongoing civil war.

Flags of British Singapore and British Sinai
And I also have been going through a bit of a Blue Ensign phase, so have the following two flags, which are the first I’ve made as vector flags in Inkscape (plus a bonus fact, because why not):

47DY8fQ.png

Flag of British Singapore

In fierce competition with Hong Kong for the title of wealthiest overseas territory. Recently voted against independence.

jPFgUhc.png

Flag of British Sinai

Primarily populated by what people from OTL would call Palestinians, known ITTL as Sinai Arabs due to the presence of the Jewish state to the north known as Palestine.

Tomorrow I plan to post my final retcon with some rather major changes in Asia. Why final? Because I’ve just started work on a proper world map like @Kanan or @AP246, which, while not being as good as either of theirs, should hopefully serve a similar purpose. But it’ll take a while, so ask away in the meantime, and I’ll do what I can.

A day later than I planned, but here it is.

The absolutely final retcon, with a few major changes and a few minor ones.

KytrOk3.png

Changes are:
  • China is split up even more. Expect stuff on this soon.
  • Tibet is slightly smaller.
  • Kashmir is independent.
  • Afghanistan has the North West Frontier Province of OTL Pakistan.
  • Afghanistan is a member of the Association of Independent States.
  • The borders of Azawad, Livonia and Sinai have been slightly adjusted.
  • The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are now part of Britain.
  • South Africa has an extra state.
  • Some internal borders have been adjusted.
  • Colours have been changed all over the place.
Questions?

I really don't like retconning, but I felt in this case it was necessary after rethinking the lore, this just felt most accurate.

Last edited:
Flags of British Territories
So as you can see, I've made some more. To avoid incurring the wrath of the mods, I've put them all in one image.

8quQtrp.png
  1. British Hong Kong
  2. British Malta
  3. British Heligoland
  4. Christmas Island Territory
  5. British Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Whaddaya think?

A day later than I planned, but here it is.

The absolutely final retcon, with a few major changes and a few minor ones.

ZP31bOf.png

Changes are:
  • China is split up even more. Expect stuff on this soon.
  • Tibet is slightly smaller.
  • Kashmir is independent.
  • Afghanistan has the North West Frontier Province of OTL Pakistan.
  • Afghanistan is a member of the Association of Independent States.
  • The borders of Azawad, Livonia and Sinai have been slightly adjusted.
  • The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are now part of Britain.
  • The Cocos (Keeling) Islands are no longer part of Britain.
  • Some internal borders have been adjusted.
  • Colours have been changed all over the place.
Questions?

I really don't like retconning, but I felt in this case it was necessary after rethinking the lore, this just felt most accurate.

Is North Nigeria under the iron fist of Boko Haram? Is South Nigeria democratic, or maybe a Christian theocracy?