Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

The Grand Admiral knows that his first priority is to secure funding for the space program and he knows another disaster will kill the manned part of it.
He is also making sure to spread the subcontractors for the program around Germany as possible in order to get the politicians in the Reichstag in line.
Having women in the program is a very good idea as they weigh less, take up smaller space in the capsule, are able to withstand higher G forces, and they do not put much of a strain on the life support systems.
The main thing for the Grand Admiral to figure out is what is the goal of the space program is, is it to land on the Moon? Which is a spectacular stunt, but once done the public will lose interest fast, or is it a Earth Orbital Laboratory Space Station while less sexy than a Moon mission it does offer a more long term prospects to keep the program going and once again by spreading the research funding all across Germany's universities it will make the politicians less likely to cut spending on the program.

I wonder how eager the Kommandant of that officer school is to assign another aide to Kat. She turned a naive girl into someone with the tenacity to make it in the the space program. Or how dumbfounded Kat would be when she finds out the cadets are competing for that spot.

FBKampfer

Banned
I wonder how eager the Kommandant of that officer school is to assign another aide to Kat. She turned a naive girl into someone with the tenacity to make it in the the space program. Or how dumbfounded Kat would be when she finds out the cadets are competing for that spot.

She's retired. She doesn't have an aide.

Sigi still seems a bit too naive for her own good, but she might give people the entirely wrong impression.

From her time with Kat she should be familiar with a lot of high ranking people and seem less easily intimidated by them. Not because she isn't, but because staying near Kat would have twisted her sense of normalcy.

I am pretty sure she must have met Bert at some point as an Aide even if he might not remember her.

People will see her attitude and might mistake unawareness for self confidence.

Part 83, Chapter 1261
Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Sixty-One

12th January 1958

Tempelhof, Berlin

Staring at the ceiling of her bedroom. Ilse was laying on her bed and talking to one of the few people who seemed interested in just listening to her without telling her what to do in response. Kiki, who was sitting on the edge of her bed.

“I don’t regret getting married” Ilse told Kiki, “But there are times when I really think I could live without having a second Gräfin sniffing around, intruding in my life.”

“They care about you” Kiki replied.

“I guess” Ilse replied, “It’s just that they need to respect my boundaries. Try growing up and having no one respect those ever…”

Ilse trailed off as she remembered who she was talking to. It was extremely strange that Kiki’s experience would be a weird luxurious reflection of Ilse’s. Between an orphan whose personal autonomy no one cared about and a Princess who had to be kept under constant watch, the result was ironically similar.

“What did Käte say to Helene?” Kiki asked.

“She said that something about me felt off to her” Ilse replied, “Like if me being back at my sister’s house with my husband halfway around the world wouldn’t be enough to do that.”

Käte had talked with Helene who had in turn talked to Kat. That reignited the battle between Ilse and her sister after a few weeks of relative peace. Briefly, Ilse had considered leaving. Moving into her In-Law’s townhouse, but the thought of being alone right now had seemed far worse than putting up with her family.

“Why don’t you just humor Katherine?” Kiki asked, “You know you are alright.”

“At this point I’m afraid that something trifling will be discovered, Kat will be completely insufferable, and I’ll never hear the end of it” Ilse said, “Is that really what I need?”

Kiki just smiled at that, “I don’t think that she needs an excuse to be insufferable at times” She said, “After all, if we ask her, she’ll tell us that we have a right to her opinions.”

Ilse laughed at that. It was a pretty clever way of describing the situation perfectly.

“Katherine can admit that she is wrong occasionally” Kiki said, “Unlike some people we know.”

“Are you and Benjamin still having your spat?” Ilse asked.

“There is no spat” Kiki replied, “I was right, he was wrong and that is that.”

It all seemed so silly. Benjamin had told Kiki that he was unaware of any women in the space program only to have the ESA announce that Lieutenant Sieglinde Grimmelshausen was the Agency’s newest pilot. That had been a big story for the last couple days.

“Have you nailed a copy of the front page of the Berliner to the front door of his house?” Ilse asked facetiously.

“No” Kiki said, “Only because I can’t find a hammer, and no one will tell me where one is.”

Ilse couldn’t tell Kiki was joking or not with how earnestly she had said that. It was a bit amusing, Kiki’s relationship with Benjamin was a learning process and she certainly wouldn’t put it past Kiki to do such a thing. Then Ilse’s thoughts were interrupted by some discomfort in her stomach.

“Are you alright?” Kiki asked.

“Cabbage” Ilse replied.

“What?” Kiki asked as she looked a bit confused by that statement.

“Serhiy and Petia insist that we need to have cabbage with every meal” Ilse said, “And it always gives me gas.”

“Oh” Kiki said.

“Just wait until it works its way out the other side, you’ll see” Ilse said, “Or should I say smell.”

“Ew” Kiki said even as she was laughing.

13th January 1958

Washington D.C.

If Monday had not started off horribly, it certainly was when the Economic Analysts got through speaking. Factories were reporting that while productivity was up, the numbers of people being employed by them was decreasing with time. It seemed that jobs that paid well were slowly vanishing and there was no clear indication of what was replacing them. While this pattern had not affected the National economy to a great degree, yet it was only a matter of time before it did. The term unsustainable had been thrown around a lot.

If that wasn’t bad enough, racial tensions tended to flare up whenever and wherever layoffs were announced. A couple of generations earlier working-class solidarity might have been the reaction. However, decades of red baiting, sloganeering and what could only be described as short-sighted greed. The far older, and what many would describe as a very American reaction had come to the fore. Hate thy neighbor, particularly if they were of a different color. In this case, the Union Movement wasn’t exactly a great help. They tended to be myopic, looking out for their own membership while not being as interested in the big picture as they probably should have been. There was also a tendency to exclude Negroes from membership within many of the trade unions.

The Economists had suggested that a reinvestment in the National Economy might be needed. This time leaving no one out in the cold. In true craven fashion, Congressmen who had been overjoyed to take money and Federal Largess with the National Recovery Act and the Highway and Railroad Modernization Act were suddenly concerned with Government Debt. Averell remembered how fast Harry Truman had gotten out of Washington once he was no longer President, he was starting to understand the reason for his predecessor’s actions.

Last edited:
What is going on in the American economy is a result of two things: First off it is the Law of Unintended Consequences were in a timeline without Taft-Hartley and a economic boycott of products from the South has made automation much more imperative in order to cut labor costs.
Second this is what capitalism is known for, Creative Destruction we are beginning to see the move away from the manufacturing of physical goods to where Information Technology is the main driver in the economy.
Good News for the United States is that by now Texas Instruments should have the first semiconductors available for commercial use and that means computers become more prevalent earlier.

I think that Kiki is being unfair to Ben as it is most likely that Kiki had inside information about Sigi.

If Ilse is what we think she is then the biggest Mama Bear protecting her cub is going to be Graf von Richthofen.
He will take over Ilse's life in ways that will make her see that Kat is mellow in comparison.
God help Ilse if she is pregnant and has a girl or worse if she has a boy then the Graf will all but take custody of the baby.

I think that Kiki is being unfair to Ben as it is most likely that Kiki had inside information about Sigi.

Of course, if you want rational decision making and fairness, a sixteen-year-old who is spoiling for a fight might not be the best choice. There was a reason why Ilse asked her a question that was absurdly irrational and it was something that Kiki had apparently already been thinking about.

Last edited:
Part 83, Chapter 1262
Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Sixty-Two

21st January 1958

Cam Ranh, Khánh Hòa Province, Vietnam

In the wake of the successful unmanned launch of Dioscuri I, several of these events had been planned. Leading a group of dignitaries from the ESA and journalists on a tour of the Cam Ranh launch facility was not Albrecht’s idea of a productive afternoon. It was however useful in learning a great deal about the newest member of the team. When Albrecht had lunch with the Admiral, von Braun and Sigi he had suspected that the Jacob had greased the skids a bit to help her get through the program. Not in an overt way that might call her character into question, but in convincing her instructors to give her an extra word of encouragement and the like.

Today, with her charming the dignitaries he realized why the Admiral had done it. Sigi was young, photogenic and extremely enthusiastic about whatever she threw herself into. The Space Program had found its poster girl in its first Raumfrau. Or was it Raumfräulein? Something else? They were making so much of this up as they went along. Perhaps the British had it right when they used the word Astronaut regardless. If he wasn’t happily married, the way that Sigi filled out the flight suit she was wearing might have turned Albrecht’s brain to mush the way it had with so many of the men around the base. He might have even enjoyed watching this nice little display of crass cynicism if he didn’t have other things weighing on his mind.

Albrecht had received a letter from his mother where she said that she had gone to Berlin to check on Ilse. He really wished that his mother had not done that, but she said that Ilse had recovered from her illness which was a relief. However, his mother had concluded with a comment that she thought there was something off about Ilse. What the Hell was Albrecht supposed to do? Flying home wasn’t exactly something he could do over the weekend from halfway around the world. He received regular letters from Ilse and in them Ilse sounded like she was doing fine. Too many hours in the lab, conducting lectures. It would be her lot in life until the winter term ended. It was a career that Ilse had thrived in and as much as he missed her, Albrecht was glad she was back at it.

Once the current launch schedule ended with the arrival of the rainy season in Southern Vietnam Albrecht was due to take leave. He and Ilse would need to have a conversation about the future and how they would tell his parents about Ilse’s difficulties. It was something that he was certain would not go over very well. His father still a lot of ideas about the family legacy that were somewhat antiquated. How was it going to go over when the Graf learned that Albrecht would probably be the last Graf von Richthofen if he lived that long? And his most likely successor was going to be his nephew, Helene’s son Manfred.

“The Aggregat and Atgeir projects have provided a vast windfall as the thousands of novel technologies have found use in the private sector” Sigi said with a smile, they had been working on having it be at least somewhat sincere, it looked like more work was needed. Albrecht who was watching from the back of the crowd she was addressing saw a flash of nervousness cross her face when she glanced his way. Albrecht knew men who had run through machinegun fire who were petrified of the idea public speaking.

“You’re doing fine” Albrecht mouthed towards her and nodded. They had practiced this over the previous days.

With that, Sigi continued the tour. “It is something that we are expecting to continue with the Dioscuri Project” She said, “In meeting the challenges of getting a larger, heavier spacecraft into orbit we have already made significant discoveries.”

There were certain words that the Admiral had stressed needed to be said on these tours and presentations. Sigi was doing a great job in hitting them.

Cuxhaven

Tilo thought that Nancy could have done a better job at hiding her glee. Erik and Karl were getting sent to Korea to join the rest of the 3rd Marine Infantry Division in the German enclave in the city of Pusan. It was an advanced posting. From there they would be in garrison, unless they got offered a chance to join a ship’s company for anti-piracy or anti-smuggling efforts. Tilo was not going to lie, he was going to be happy to see the back of his nephews. At the same time, he was a bit envious. They were going on this incredible adventure.

“Keep an open mind” Tilo said as he talked to Erik and Karl’s Platoon. They all knew who he was and were listening intently. “Learn a new language, try new things and never forget that you are the foreigner there.”

With that, Tilo walked down the ramp of the transport as the turboprop engines were just starting up. When he reached Nancy, who was standing next to the gate, the plane was taxiing towards the runway.

“Good riddance” Nancy said with a smile.

“To bad rubbish” Tilo concluded for her.

For the first time since Tilo had sprung his nephews from that courtroom back in Wunsdorf-Zossen it felt like a heavy weight had been taken off his shoulders.

Last edited:
Cue karma hitting Tilo and Nancy in 3.....2..... (seriously, I hope they are ok, just knowing Murphy, he likes to be a dick)

In their defense, Tilo got his nephews out of a serious jam and they rewarded him by being assholes to him and Nancy. In the truest sense, Karma was them seeing Erik and Karl on that airplane before they had a body or two to hide.

In their defense, Tilo got his nephews out of a serious jam and they rewarded him by being assholes to him and Nancy. In the truest sense, Karma was them seeing Erik and Karl on that airplane before they had a body or two to hide.

Not even the worse are they could be posted. The climate should be quite tolerable for them, not like getting dumped into the jungles of Vietnam

The Space Program had found its poster girl in its first Raumfrau. Or was it Raumfräulein? Something else?
The correct and only female form of Raumfahrer is Raumfahrerin, no uncertainty. Only when the male form ends in -mann you use -frau (Kaufmann/frau - Businessman/woman) but there was a time, when the official female form of Amtmann was Amtmännin:rolleyes: