An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Make a play for Vlachia? The Allies left it alone to focus south of the Danube into Rhomania proper. That left them vulnerable to flying columns and supply chain disruptions from the north side of the river. Vlachia isn't that populous, even a battered HRE/Allied army should be able to knock it out of the war and secure a better base of operations for a renewed push into the Empire proper. Biggest issue with that is that will take time and money, two things Theodor has precious little of right now.

In a modern era, that probably work. It will leaves the main roman army in the west cut off from Constantinople, a quick rush might see all Bulgaria falling.

But at this era? The German army probably get stuck on a fort then the roman army crushes them.

Top notch update as usual. Loved the little nod in D3 constantly hitting D3. I wonder if the A1 when shooting from the hip was just a coincidence or deliberate reference to Andreas?

I am desperately curious to know what D3 was mulling over.

I do love father-daughter-cannon-time.

It wouldn't surprise me if Athena is married off to some potential Italian as a way to ensure a secure Italian despotate. She's got such a strong force of personality that she'd be like Zaghara for sure in that relationship.

I am desperately curious to know what D3 was mulling over.

I do love father-daughter-cannon-time.

It wouldn't surprise me if Athena is married off to some potential Italian as a way to ensure a secure Italian despotate. She's got such a strong force of personality that she'd be like Zaghara for sure in that relationship.

She's already married to Alexandros Drakos to tie up that loose end, and they have a daughter. I think that ship has sailed. But it will definitely be interesting to see what kind of role she will play in her father's and brother's reign.

--SNIP--
There’d been calls for Michael Laskaris to be recalled ever since Blucher had taken the Iron Gates in 1632, from people angry over his giving ground throughout the year despite his being outnumbered. The calls had only gotten louder after First and especially Second Ruse.

--SNIP--
“He deserves it, especially after dealing with all that crap. Being called a traitor after retreating from Second Ruse…” Demetrios shook his head. “Some of these newspaper editors really should have their hands broken.”

--SNIP--
Editors eager to make a name for themselves are responsible for most of the abuse hurled at Michael Laskaris, and they are not afraid to stoop to personal attacks. It is a good way to gain publicity. Theodoros Laskaris gets a share as well, but he is further away and thus of less interest to the readers in the capital.

--SNIP--
The argument is that they have aided and abetted the enemy by slandering the Domestikoi and thereby demoralizing the soldiers at the fronts.

--SNIP--
Demetrios, in an act of clemency, changes their sentences to death by long knife rather than the much more torturous executions that can be applied for those crimes. But the morning after that article was printed, the people of Constantinople awake to find ten heads on pikes in the middle of the Forum of Konstantinos, where the bodies of prominent criminals are typically hung as a warning to others. There is the origin of the Roman slang term ‘forum breakfast’, meaning a grisly end brought on largely by one’s own stupidity or stubbornness.

As someone who likes both his hands and especially his head I take back everything bad I ever said about either Laskaris cousin during this war. They're great! I've always been a huge fan and I love them and I love the Emperor too! Long live Demetrios and long live all his strategoi!​

Last edited:
how far has this "newspaper" spread around the empire is it jsut in the capital or could we expect too see it in the major cities of the empire?

how far has this "newspaper" spread around the empire is it jsut in the capital or could we expect too see it in the major cities of the empire?

The problem with national news papers is the time dilation of the story, by how they sharing it. Unless the newspaper owner can greese some serious wheels and beable to use the semaphore towers, everything is going to travel by pony/boat at the best

Last edited:
So I’ve been getting back in CK2 recently and I was wondering what type of leaders TTL Emperors are. Demetrios I, Andreas I and II are obviously brilliant strategists, Theodoros IV and D3 are Midas Touched. How about the likes of Helena I, Demetrios II and Andreas III? Maybe a charismatic negotiator for Helena and a duitiful cleric for Demetrios II?

So I’ve been getting back in CK2 recently and I was wondering what type of leaders TTL Emperors are. Demetrios I, Andreas I and II are obviously brilliant strategists, Theodoros IV and D3 are Midas Touched. How about the likes of Helena I, Demetrios II and Andreas III? Maybe a charismatic negotiator for Helena and a duitiful cleric for Demetrios II?

Helena is definitely in the Diplomacy category. She did well in reconnecting with the rest of Europe (for all the good and bad that brings), but having to fight her own husband and son in a civil war definitely bars her from the Grey Eminence rank. I'd say Charismatic Negotiator is fair.

Andreas III I'd put in the Tough Soldier category. He was definitely a martial character, but I don't think he's shown enough to warrant the Skilled Tactician level.

Demetrios II has to be among the Religion/Learning type. He's not exactly a great thinker, though. So I'd say somewhere between Detached Priest and Dutiful Cleric. I know that's not a fit in terms of job description, but it fits with his inclination and abilities. Maybe Scholarly Theologian if we are being generous about his intellect.

Do people think Jahzara is on the same level as Kristina (wife of Andreas I) in terms of intrigue? Right now I'd put her on the Intricate Webweaver level. But her rise to Empress is definitely impressive, if less ruthless than Kristina, so maybe she deserves Elusive Shadow rank.

And maybe we can add Odysseus I to the Brilliant Strategists before too long...

The problem with national news papers is the time dilation of the story, by how they sharing it. Unless the newspaper owner can greese some serious wheels and beable to use the semaphore towers, everything is going to travel by pony/boat at the best
not national newspapers but city ones like the Athens chronicle or the cario news etc

One of the joys of re-reading this timeline is you notice stuff the second time that you missed the first time. After re-reading some of the PDF earlier today I wanted to ask the author (and others) about Blucher's age and mental acumen. He's no spring chicken to put it mildly.

He was a Captain in the army in 1575 at the Battle of Douvrin so he's gotta be in his late seventies/early eighties in 1634 depending on how old he was at that battle. He's a marvel of a man but Father Time is undefeated and it stands to figure he should be slowing down or even dropping dead sometime soon - this is the 17th Century after all. We've seen old age slow down Thomas Autoreianos starting from when he turned seventy, when does the clock strike for Blucher?

So he's gonna die just in time for the Triune Invasion. Perfectly timed for Theodor's viewing pleasure.

If Blucher shuffles off this mortal coil during/right after this war he won't be able to lead the HRE armies against the Triunes if/when they inevitably invade the Rhineland. Good luck with that Theodor - assuming you are still on your throne of course.

I just realized something, The newspaper criticize Lascaris cousins about the first and second ruse, but the second ruse could not be classified as a defeat ,after all that's the whole roman campaign summed up, trade space for casualties.

Which means there is no way a newspaper will classify it as defeat let alone accuse him of treachery, unless he got a bird eye view of the situation. Which brings me to a realization. Are we the newspaper? I mean there's a lonf debate about lascaris performance a few page back.

I just realized something, The newspaper criticize Lascaris cousins about the first and second ruse, but the second ruse could not be classified as a defeat ,after all that's the whole roman campaign summed up, trade space for casualties.

Which means there is no way a newspaper will classify it as defeat let alone accuse him of treachery, unless he got a bird eye view of the situation. Which brings me to a realization. Are we the newspaper? I mean there's a lonf debate about lascaris performance a few page back.
I'd assume so. We've also been hawkish members of the Roman populace on atleast one occasion, when it came to the treatment of Egypt and Copts after their betrayal.

A1's military genius insight coming through for D3?
Or more straight forward action turning out well for D3.