Dbwi Alexander of Macedonia survived

What do you think would have happened if Alexander , king of Macedonia, hadn't died during the siege of Thebes during the second year of the 111th Olympiad?
Do you think that he would have really attacked the Persian Empire if he had survived?

What do you think would have happened if Alexander , king of Macedonia, hadn't died during the siege of Thebes during the second year of the 111th Olympiad?
Do you think that he would have really attacked the Persian Empire if he had survived?

An attack was definitely possible. Phillip had laid all of the groundwork for one. But the chances of him actually succeeding to hold more than the entirety of little more than Asia Minor is impossible. I mean the boy had shown little promise mstrayegically and tactically and as it is with warfare in the ancient world, fervour can only carry you so far.

Phillip III did well enough to retain the entirety of Attica and make a peace treaty with the Thebans to extend the realm of the Macedonians to cover all till the Athens’ environs and the cities under its suzerainty. Hell one can argue that Alexander III’s failure proved to the Macedonians that caution is key and Phillip III was able to lay the groundwork for his nephew Perdiccas IV Soter’s eventual conquest of Epirus.

Or maybe if Alexander had lived he might have been able to go onward to the Peloponnesus and dangerously overextend his ancestors’ realm and have it collapse into anominity in history books just like he did.

The drunk power-hungry Alexander? Known to be a narcissist and a god wannabe, I wouldn’t put my hopes high.

He is sometimes credited with tactics and strategies by grecophiles, but these were in use in Egypt. Hadn’t his lust for power and paranoia towards his generals get in the way, he might’ve repealed Persia and have Macedon be conquered a generation later.

Or maybe if Alexander had lived he might have been able to go onward to the Peloponnesus
Would he have been able to beat Sparta?
As you already said, he wasn't a good general and i fail to see how he could have been able to beat men like the Spartans
Even here in the Roman Republic we tell Stories about Spartan men' s bravery and virtue
But the chances of him actually succeeding to hold more than the entirety of little more than Asia Minor is impossible
Well, even today Persia isn't known for its stability so maybe he could have used the impopularity of the Great King in some of the persian lands

Hadn’t his lust for power and paranoia towards his generals get in the way, he might’ve repealed Persia and have Macedon be conquered a generation later.
I mean the perian "conquest" lasted less than three weeks and damaged Persia more than Greece

Don't know where people are getting this information about Alexander's personality ffom-next to nothing is known about the man. However we do know that he played a decisive role at the Battle of Chaeronea.

At the very least Macedon won't completely collapse like they did after his untimely death. The brief revival of Thebes and subsequent revival of the Athenian Empire probably doesn't happen either. He will almost certainly go through with Phillips planned invasion of Persia. If successful, I can see him settling for a deal for Ionia and Lydia, maybe even Cilicia and Syria, as the Persian empire was dealing with its own problems and would lose Ionia again anyway.

A weaker Persian empire might see Egypt rebel again sooner, and thus achieve an earlier permanent independenc.

Meh. A random dude with a one-year reign. Ok, I enjoy obscure history like everybody else but let's not pretend to enjoy exercises in futility.
But you must admit that the idea of an half-barbarian declaring war against Persia in the name of civilisation is kinda amusing
Also i had an exam on this guy and the macedonian civil war recently

Don't know where people are getting this informati
Most of the informations either comes from Greek historians or Persian poets so you can easily see why he is described like this
The brief revival of Thebes and subsequent revival of the Athenian Empire probably doesn't happen either.
Don't forget about the birth of the Spartan Repubblic. It is impressive what a bunch of angry elots and poor Spartiats can do
A weaker Persian empire might see Egypt rebel again sooner, and thus achieve an earlier permanent independenc.
Who rules Egypt these days by the way?
successful, I can see him settling for a deal for Ionia and Lydia, maybe even Cilicia and Syria, as the Persian empire was dealing with its own problems and would lose Ionia again anywa
Would the Great King even accept this?
Even if he was successful, Alexander wouod find himself in an hostile territory with almost no allies

Most of the informations either comes from Greek historians or Persian poets so you can easily see why he is described like this

Don't forget about the birth of the Spartan Repubblic. It is impressive what a bunch of angry elots and poor Spartiats can do

Who rules Egypt these days by the way?

Would the Great King even accept this?
Even if he was successful, Alexander wouod find himself in an hostile territory with almost no allies

I don’t know—to my knowledge, the Persian Empire was going through a lot of internal crisis at that time; There had been plenty of court intrigue in the recent years/decades, and it had only just ended with Darius III. IIRC the Satraps were becoming restive as well. I definitely wouldn’t say that he would have no allies, especially if he could rack up a few victories. History is full of examples of peoples on the fringe being led by a charismatic leader to conquer entire empires and civilizations.

IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! THE MIGHT OF THE GREAT PERSIAN EMPIRE COULD NEVER HAVE FALLEN TO GREEK PRETENDERS. REMOVE YOUR PROPAGANDA FROM THIS SITE.

Didnt it lose the Anatolia and the Mediterranean shore to a resurgent Athens? Granted, this happens when the Persian Emperor decided to march east and got trashed by an Indian coalition.

IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! THE MIGHT OF THE GREAT PERSIAN EMPIRE COULD NEVER HAVE FALLEN TO GREEK PRETENDERS. REMOVE YOUR PROPAGANDA FROM THIS SITE.

This sort of nonsense again - the modern Aserirya have nothing in common with the Akhaimenids.

What does 'Greek Pretenders' even mean? No Greek dynast ever tried for the Persian throne, even after the Latter Koinonic era. And modern Iran has nothing in common with what we're talking about.

I wonder if he could have conquered the whole empire. Someone should write a timeline on this.
Yeah, this is
Ok, this is absolutely DEA (.ooc: deux ex machina, basically this world's version of ASB)
Seriously we are talking about an half-barbarian king of a small kingdom against one of the biggest empires in history

The pro-Iran sentiment on this board gets to be a bit much sometimes, imo. The "Saka para Sugdam" were only semi-settled by the time they invaded "one of the biggest empires in history" but they get a pass because they were Iranic, not "barbarians."

But I get it. Iran is cool - in terms of artistic and cultural achievement it really had no rivals - it was able to absorb the best parts of it's subjects and rivals alike and no matter what dynasty ruled it, it is such a distinct and remarkable facet of history.

Regardless of propoganda this makes me wonder if Alexander III Argaead could actually pull of a conquest of Persia how would it effect what lay beyond?

Three generations after Mahapadma Nanda his great-grandson Citrapadma Nanda lost the empire to the coalition of kings under him. With the death of the last Nanda the Sukhiya Sutra details that the Janapada kingdoms were formalised once and for all; no janapada could take land from another only take suzerainity. A Cakravartin would be elected till death by the rulers of 4 of the greatest Janapadas among the 16 Mahajanapadas; Magadha, Panchala, Gandhara and Avanti.

With the formation of the Empire of Aryavarta the world's first and longest running elective monarchies was formed. They maintained good relations with the Three Crowned Kings of the South. What would the fate of the sub continet be like without them?

Deleted member 114175

This sort of nonsense again - the modern Aserirya have nothing in common with the Akhaimenids.

What does 'Greek Pretenders' even mean? No Greek dynast ever tried for the Persian throne, even after the Latter Koinonic era. And modern Iran has nothing in common with what we're talking about.
Well, there was that abortive attempt by the Pontics, Egyptians, and Ionians to create a "Sunset Empire" though Mithridates V and Nectanebo IV could never decide on who would be the shahanshah. They would never dare of course to march to the actual capital of Persia which would be a fool's errand.