Tomorrow Country

• Thread starter Deleted member 101966
  • Start date

Deleted member 101966

Which nuclear power survived the best after the war, and conversely, which non-nuclear (or neutral, even) nation suffered the worst?

Yeah, India is the only WMD power to thread the needle - its foreign policy is inoffensive enough to keep it more shielded from a global conflagration than most, its federal form of government and less urbanized demography are resilient against a limited exchange, and its manpower is formidable. Although in a fairly similar situation, Pakistan's smaller population, alignment with China, and lack of separation between the military and its other governmental institutions make it much more vulnerable to a post-war dismantlement.

The easy answer for "neutral" powers will be any one that's surrounded by NATO members - none of Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, or Ireland is left any less demolished than its immediate neighbours. But one of the biggest losers to have not taken a single hit is Myanmar, whose incessant pogroms escalated after the war right up until they became an unignorable humanitarian liability for every neighbouring state. One quick Indian intervention later, the country violently shook itself apart, and its territory is currently distributed among no less than 9 successor states. This makes the central Irrawaddy rump much easier to govern - but the deep-seated sense of spite felt by its leadership has made it an international pariah for some decades, enforcing exactly as much of an agenda of Bamar supremacy on those minorities unlucky enough to remain as they can get away with without incurring a second international intervention.

Deleted member 101966

TC_Asia_2.png

Asia update! Fewer military dictatorships, more ridiculous tiny new countries. (I'm kind of shocked at how complicated this has started to look.)

Next up: bashing out a shapefile to indicate where the supranational unions are.

Asia update! Fewer military dictatorships, more ridiculous tiny new countries. (I'm kind of shocked at how complicated this has started to look.)

Next up: bashing out a shapefile to indicate where the supranational unions are.

This is shaping up really nicely! Can’t wait to see more of this world.

Deleted member 101966

unknown.png

As threatened, I've successfully got my hands on a global EEZ file! Green indicates India's customs union, so Myanmar's status as a pariah state is a bit more clear.

A more substantial update will come soon - having access to nautical boundaries will make the goings-on in the Pacific a hell of a lot easier to follow.

This is wonderful so far.

How many people live in the area of the Yellow Sea Authority? I imagine there's a gratuitous amount of craters there to be fair, but there's also a lot of room there for survivors someplace or another.

Deleted member 101966

This is wonderful so far.

How many people live in the area of the Yellow Sea Authority? I imagine there's a gratuitous amount of craters there to be fair, but there's also a lot of room there for survivors someplace or another.

Yeah, all of the Authorities are still more populated than any of the states that border them - their control areas are just very, very difficult to map. (By this, of course, I mean I'm dying to try it.)

The cheesy mass-media kind of raider anarchism was attempted by many entities immediately after the war, but almost none of it managed to outlast the two-week period after which the groceries went bad. If people are still alive in the Authority Areas, it's because they (and their ancestors) were successful at forming state-like societies. So, many of these successor governments aren't much bigger than prewar municipalities, and it falls to the rest of the world to evaluate which should be protected and which should be subdued.

There is extreme variance in living standards and productivity within the Authorities as well. Towards the fringes, many successor entities are indistinguishable from the sovereign states they border, and it is these which most frequently apply to be removed from UN trusteeship if they can demonstrate a basic level of competence and a good attitude towards the rest of the world. In more damaged areas, adverse health effects are widespread and petty conflicts between successors are still commonplace. The most ruined places of all are marked for intensive reclamation, with new towns dotting places like the American Eastern Seaboard and doing a booming business recycling all the rubble they're built on top of. As OTL, international bureaucrats like sticking to the safe cities and it's these treaty ports which see the highest concentration of UN-sponsored activity from above.

This heterogenity provides an interesting contrast to a rest of the world which is more uniformly developed than ever before - Authority issues will sometimes spill into the popular press (not even the end of the world can take the media spotlight off New York) but a lot of it is just boring technocracy, with a long, gradualistic struggle going on to re-integrate as many ruined areas as possible back into the global system.

Deleted member 101966

ASEAN and the All-Indian Union, at long last gloriously demarcated by EEZ.

Indonesia has stayed together so this isn't the most interesting corner of the map. A couple aspirant provinces have been added, and West Papua has been intentionally released because the abrupt cutoff of Western aid has caused the whole island of New Guinea to gracefully descend into complete ungovernability. Otherwise, the presence of Bangsamoro is fairly predictable and I can't find any particular reason to dismantle Vietnam or Laos (which already have a 100% American-induced aerial bombardment survival record, and also don't seem to have much acute ethnic unrest).

Last edited by a moderator: