Politics in a US with these borders

What would politics in a US that has these boarders look like:
zdq2qhhksnq01.jpg

Is Spanish a second language? Is French a third language? Are there regional parties? How does a senate with 208 members play out?

If it’s like the US, it’s probably very federal and varied widely between states. Any federal government is going to have to give a lot of leeway to state governments, and the provision in the Constitution preventing regional governments may not fly, and the gap between conservative/liberal, urban/rural and coast/inland will be massive.

Also, what the hell is Douglass? Is that like DC?

I'd think it's like the U.S just after The Constitutional convention meaning the Federal government has it's own army and some power but the vast majority of power is in the hands of the state governments with the States having there own Armies/Militas that the Fedral government dose not have the right to command.

I'd also say that the French speaking states or states that have French as a co-official language will ally with the Spanish speaking states to prevent the English states for dominating the Union.

What would politics in a US that has these boarders look like:

zdq2qhhksnq01.jpg

Is Spanish a second language? Is French a third language? Are there regional parties? How does a senate with 208 members play out?

I would say we would have more of both in our nation than we do IOTL. How this much bigger US would work I have no real clue seeing as you would have like 100 or more states in this timeline.

I would say we would see parts of this new US feel more independent given how far away some of them would be from DC.

Last edited:
So, you have a US that goes from Greenland to Guyana, but there is no state to call Franklin? Very disappointed...

Those Canadian states are out of control. You have made 16 states out of a population smaller then California. 36.71 million people.

Your Yukon, is made up of Canada's Yukon and Northwest Territories. 35,874 + 41,462 = 77,336. The Current average size of a US house seat is 710,767. So Yukon literally gets 10 times the representation in the House, and so many times more in the Senate.

Nunavut is similar at 35,944 people.

What would the population be?

That probably depends if immigation and birth-rates are roughly the same as OTL. If this version of America is more immigrant-friendly with a delayed feminist movement keeping women's liberation at home, then you definitely have hundreds of millions more people than OTL. If this version of America is more xenophobic yet promotes women's liberation through education and access to contraceptives, then expect population to a bit less than OTL

Last edited:
What would the population be?

Population wise, the Canadian states would likely be less populated then OTL

Canada's population hugs the border. As part of the USA, there wouldn't be transcontinental railways through the rough terrain of the Rockies. It would be built further south, likely along the ordinary routes with upward spokes into Canadian territory.

images

Mexico on the other hand might be more populated earlier, being perhaps stabilised. But that could mean a earlier demographic transition, and mean a lower modern Population.

The real population factor is immigration. Is it restrictive or more open?

Hi @Legend 27 , to determine the population of this version of America, is this country more restrictive or supportive of immigration and women's access to contraceptives and education (birth rates determinator) ?

Last edited:
A map tells absolutely nothing about a country. How this ATL America organizes its politics and assigns language status depends entirely on its history.

Nephi

Banned
Those Canadian states are out of control. You have made 16 states out of a population smaller then California. 36.71 million people.

Your Yukon, is made up of Canada's Yukon and Northwest Territories. 35,874 + 41,462 = 77,336. The Current average size of a US house seat is 710,767. So Yukon literally gets 10 times the representation in the House, and so many times more in the Senate.

Nunavut is similar at 35,944 people.

Those would probably be the "artic territories" along with Greenland

Those would probably be the "artic territories" along with Greenland
It would make sense for them to be, but OP makes reference to the Senate having 208 members, and the math doesn't work out unless they are states. I would suggest that OP reconsider the statehood of the smaller divisions, simply because it's hard to see a case for, say, Labrador and its 27,000 to be a full state, especially given precedents for consolidation set elsewhere on the map in the Antilles, Mexico, and even Prince Edward Island, which gets hustled into Nova Scotia even though there are at least nine other states that have fewer people than it does.

Meanwhile, Mexico, population 123.6 million, is divided between nine, with the eponymous state having over 51 million people, which is more than 2300 times the population of the least populous of these states, Palau. You could probably come up with some sort of scenario in which they make sense, but some of these boundaries are pretty weird: the absence of the rest of Colombia and Venezuela, the decision to make northeastern Ontario (<200k) its own state, the decision to name that state Canada, dividing Quebec down the St Lawrence... I'm very curious as to the logic behind some of these choices.

A map tells absolutely nothing about a country. How this ATL America organizes its politics and assigns language status depends entirely on its history.
There are some things we can infer from the map, but without some backstory on how we wound up with these borders it is hard to say what such a country would be like. More detail from the OP would be most welcome.

Last edited:
I'm curious, how the hell does OTL continental US have the same internal provincial boundaries. It doesn't seem all that fair how Canada and Mexico's internal boundaries get vivisected and rearranged but the continental US's boundaries seem roughly the same as OTL.

Deleted member 109224

Considering how it has the same internal borders (with the exception of Texas having Greer County), it looks like the US gobbles up these territories sometime after 1890, or following the Civil War at the earliest.

Maybe...
1) Liberia doesn't vote to be independent.
2) The US accepts the annexation of Yucatan
3) Texas goes neutral in the Civil War in exchange for Greer County and the US Civil War is shorter. The US thus has a larger population.
4) The Canadian Confederation fails, instead there being a Maritime Confederation and a United Province of Canada. This isn't that implausible considering the Canadians more or less invited themselves to confederation discussions OTL. Without a Canadian Confederation there's no trans-Canadian railroad and the US absorbs western Rupert's land (Alberta, Sasketchewan, Northwest territories of OTL) and British Columbia (who chose Canada over the US due to railroad promises). They also support Riel's rebellion, and Manitoba/Assinioba becomes independent US-aligned polity
5) In 1867 the US ambassador to Venezuela proposed annexing the country. Maybe the US does that here.
6) The Annexation of Santo Domingo goes through under Grant
7) The US grabs Puerto Rico and Cuba from Spain a bit earlier, maybe the 1870s
8) When the US intervenes to back Panama against Colombia, it instead ops to just invade Colombia and annex a chunk of the place. In order to make the Colombians feel better, they give them the Venezuelan interior.
9) The US sides with the Central Powers (butterfly net being used here) and grabs Britain and France's colonies in the great war. It annexes Canada, Acadia, and the caribbean colonies. It proceeds to bully Assinioba into joining the US. Assinioba is admitted as two states - Manitoba and Kenora. Plus the US grabs Sierra Leone.
10) Somebody convinces the Danes to sell greenland along with the Virgin Islands during WW1.
11) The Mexican Revolution is far messier and a lot more Mexicans move to the US. Between the US occupying large chunks of Mexico and many Mexicans in the US coming to appreciate their new country, the US somehow annexes Mexico.
12) Power-hungry Americans looking at an incomplete map say to hell with it and invade Central America and Haiti in the 1920s.

the general politics of the US must be jingoistic as hell and far less racist for all of this to happen.

I feel a little silly for asking this, but I'm having trouble reading the name of the state that's between Canada and Manitoba. Could someone please clarify it for me?

Lusitania

Donor
Cool map but ASB. I will leave how US gets those territories in first place for others but the northern states would never happen. Even Canada does not consider those areas strong and populated enough to be provinces. You have 6 states with a total of less than 1 million people together. No way the US congress admit them as states. Oh did I mention 3/4 of the population in those states are native Americans. Some of them only accessible by air.