2018 Presidential Election

I don’t think Tillman is really qualified to be Secretary of State. Transportation might be a better fit for him, or Sam’s old Senate seat.

While Shallick might be out! I still think he is a possibility for Treasury for the various reasons previously offered. McNally, Stephen Wilson or Brian Cambridge would be good for Defense, Wilson likely State & McNally for Defense, Babbish has the credentials for A.G. As for Tillman why not Commerce, as he was Governor of California & likely understands Trade matters better than most.

McNally is probably the best-qualified candidate for State. If Sam wants two Republicans in his administration, why not a scenario where Babbish is AG and Ainsley Haynes is Deputy?

While Shallick might be out! I still think he is a possibility for Treasury for the various reasons previously offered. McNally, Stephen Wilson or Brian Cambridge would be good for Defense, Wilson likely State & McNally for Defense, Babbish has the credentials for A.G. As for Tillman why not Commerce, as he was Governor of California & likely understands Trade matters better than most.
Commerce would be a good spot for Tillman. A CA governor would have to be connected to big business.

State and Defense is up in the air.

Babbish was AG already but there is no rule saying one can't return to a cabinet post. (Donald Rumsfeld in OTL as example)

Interior ?

DCI and FBI may change or may not change. Up to Seaborn.

What is the Homeland or DNI equivalent in this TL?

Jeff Breckinridge Rumored for Attorney General
Jeff Breckinridge, the President of the Southern Poverty Law Center, author of best-selling books such as "The New South" and former Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights during the Bartlet and Santos administrations, has been rumored to be on the shortlist for Attorney General in the Seaborn administration. He is reportedly the favored choice of Seaborn associate Josh Lyman, the former White House Chief of Staff. Lyman previously attempted to recruit Breckinridge to run for office in his native Georgia, which he declined to do. The rumors have been well received among Senate Democrats but not so among Senate Republicans, some of whom have called him "radical."

Yep, that's him, played by Carl Lumbly.
I don't think Breckinridge would make it past the Senate. My money is on Hayes.

1. Served in both Democratic and Republican administrations
2. Knows how Sam's mind works
3. Still fairly young
4. Good candidate for Supreme Court somewhere down the line
5. Better choice than Babbish, who has already had his chance

NBS.com

Wednesday, November 14th 2018

Walken meets with Seaborn to begin transition

President Glen Allen Walken welcomed President-elect Sam Seaborn to the White House today, formally beginning the transition of power to the new president. The 45th president joked that he just needed to take President-elect Seaborn on a "refresher tour" of the White House, an allusion to Seaborn's service in both the Bartlet and Santos administrations. The two men appeared at ease with each other, with Walken clearly enjoying having "someone to hand this whole thing over to", especially one as "whip-smart" as Seaborn. The incoming leader for his part, said that his soon-to-be predecessor was "very gracious" despite Seaborn's very narrow defeat of Walken's protege, Henry Shallick. "I think this just goes to the president's character and is just another example of him putting the country over his party or personal preferences."

Also visiting the White House, Lauren Parker Seaborn met with First Lady Mary Walken and has begun assembling her own small staff to take over Mrs. Walken's duties once her husband is inaugurated. Mrs. Parker Seaborn spoke only briefly to the press, saying that Mrs. Walken took her on a "very thorough" run-through of what being the spouse to the president entails, and that she had a "greater appreciation for her service these past eight years." For her part, Mrs. Walken said she was assured that Mrs. Parker Seaborn will be a great First Lady. "I know she will make our country proud," the First Lady told the media after their visit. "She has already discussed with me ideas on which issues she will seek to use her office to highlight. I wish I was as prepared to take this job when we moved in as she is now."

rTaEd7Ml.png

President-elect Sam Seaborn looks to reporters as President Glen Allen Walken laughs

Last edited:

3. Still fairly young
Haynes easily clears the Senate too. She has a lot of goodwill with Democrats due to her service in the Bartlet and Santos Admins and served with Walken, who will be very popular with the Republicans for a very long time.

3. Still fairly young

For a future Republican president, maybe. There's no way in hell Sam would appoint Ainsley to the Supreme Court. Even if he has a good relationship with her personally, they have diametrically opposed political views. Especially since the appointment of Mulready to the Supreme Court would almost certainly be seen as one of Bartlet's biggest mistakes by Democrats nowadays.

Yes, but remember that the Republicans were given Mulready in order to get Evelyn Baker Lang in as the Chief Justice.

So, why not start Ainsley Hayes at the AG position? .She would be fairly easy to confirm as previously noted.

Ainsley Hayes or Oliver Babbish, A.G.
Nancy McNally, State or Defense
Kathy Harper, DCI
Stephen Wilson or Brian Cambridge, State
Gabe Tillman, Commerce or Labor
Henry Shallick, Treasury
Andrea Wyatt, Transportation
Charlie Young, Special Counsel to the President.
C.J. Cregg, Ambassador to the U.N.

BBC News

Thursday, 15 November 2018

Russian Government still trying to schedule a call with Seaborn

The Russian Government stated they are trying to find a convent time to call the American President-Elect, Sam Seaborn, however pressing domestic legislation and security concerns have the Romanova government concerned on their end. While this is an inconvience the Russian President said, "I don't think we should call him [Seaborn] at midnight, people don't like phone calls that late."

The new legislation would make anyone holding the office of President of Russia or Defence Minister a full marshal, while the same applies to the Russian Chief of General Staff, the head of their armed forces. Which means Romanova could feasibly wear a military uniform as being a full marshal. This legislation gives much more centralized control of the military. Other legislation has Romonova busy as well.

"Hopefully we can find a time confident to call for both leaders." Said the Russian Foreign Ministry in a public statement. Some think Russia may stop trying to call by the Monday after next.

Kate Harper, not Kathy Harper.

How about these for some additional possibilities?
Dr. Millicent Griffith -- Health and Human Services
Joshua Lyman -- Education (If CJ can get the UN Ambassador position, then why not Josh in the Cabinet?)
Joe Quincy -- WH Counsel or Assistant WH Counsel (another Republican cross-over), or deputy AG.
Jordon Elaine Kendall -- WH Counsel or assistant WH Counsel, or deputy AG.

Last edited:
politicalanimal.com, Friday November 16th

Seaborn Transition Team Confirm Key Meetings

The office of President-Elect Sam Seaborn issued a statement this morning confirm a series of high profile meetings that will take place over the next few days. They confirmed that the President-Elect would meet with the man he defeated, Republican nominee Henry Shallick on Monday in Washington, a move aimed at moving past the rancour of the campaign. They will discuss policy and opportunities for bi-partisan development.

The second high profile meeting will be between incoming Vice-President Franklin Hollis and the current VP Elizabeth Clark, that meeting will take place in at Number 1 Observatory Circle on Sunday.

Joshua Lyman -- Education (If CJ can get the UN Ambassador position, then why not Josh in the Cabinet?)
Joe Quincy -- WH Counsel or Assistant WH Counsel (another Republican cross-over), or deputy AG.

I don’t think Josh is qualified to be Secretary of Education, and the same goes for CJ as UN Ambassador.

Quincy is currently a Justice on the Supreme Court. I doubt he would leave that.