2018 Presidential Election

Best Picture Winners (1927-Present):
(movie summary provided for film that I have made up)
*= Real movie that replaces the Best Picture winner IOTL

1927- "Wings"
1928- "The Broadway Melody"
1929- "All Quiet on the Western Front"
1930- "Cimarron"
1931- "Grand Hotel"
1932/1933- "Cavalcade"
1934- "It Happened One Night"
1935- "Mutiny on the Bounty"
1936- "The Great Ziegfeld"
1937- "The Life of Emile Zola"
1938- "You Can't Take it With You"
1939- "Gone with the Wind"
1940- "Rebecca"
1941- "How Green Was My Valley"
1942- "Mrs. Miniver"
1943- "Casablanca"
1944- "Going My Way"
1945- "The Lost Weekend"
1946- "The Best Years of Our Lives"
1947- "Gentleman's Agreement"
1948- "Hamlet"
1949- "All the King's Men"
1950- "All About Eve"
1951- "An American in Paris"
1952- "The Greatest Show on Earth"
1953- "From Here to Eternity"
1954- "On the Waterfront"
1955- "Marty"
1956- "Around the World in 80 Days"
1957- "The Bridge on the River Kwai"
1958- "Gigi"
1959- "Ben-Hur"
1960- "The Apartment"
1961- "West Side Story"
1962- "Lawrence of Arabia"
1963- "Tom Jones"
1964- "My Fair Lady"
1965- "The Sound of Music"
1966- "A Man for All Seasons"
1967- "In the Heat of the Night"
1968- "Oliver!"
1969- "Midnight Cowboy"
1970- "Patton"
1971- "The French Connection"
1972- "The Godfather"
1973- "The Sting"
1974- "The Godfather Part II"
1975- "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
1976- "Rocky"
1977- "Annie Hall"
1978- "The Deer Hunter"
1979- "Kramer vs. Kramer"
1980- "Ordinary People"
1981- "Chariots of Fire"
1982- "Gandhi"
1983- "Terms of Endearment"
1984- "Amadeus"
1985- "Out of Africa"
1986- "Platoon"
1987- "The Last Emperor"
1988- "Rain Man"
1989- "Driving Miss Daisy"
1990- "Dances With Wolves"
1991- "Silence of the Lambs"
1992- "Unforgiven"
1993- "Schindler's List"
1994- "Forrest Gump"
1995- "Braveheart"
1996- "The English Patient"
1997- "Titanic"
1998- "Saving Private Ryan" *
1999- "American Beauty"
2000- "Gladiator"
2001- "Los Alamos" (A film detailing the foundation of the Atomic Bomb)
2002- "Chicago"
2003- "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2004- "Staub" (A biopic detailing the life an career of Henry Staub, the first African-American Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court)
2005- "Brokeback Mountain" *
2006- "The Best Man" (A remake of the 1964 film based off of Gore Vidal's play, covering the dark underbelly of American political conventions)
2007- "No Country For Old Men"
2008- "Friendship 7" (A portrayal of John Glenn's historic orbit around the Earth)
2009- "The Dark Knight" (A reimagining of the Batman mythos, with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson playing the Caped Crusader, Emma Stone playing Barbara Pierce-Gordon, and Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker)
2010- "The Social Network" *
2011- "Dalí" (A biopic detailing the life and career of Spanish surrealist painter Salvador Dalí)
2012- "Lincoln" *
2013- "Rawhide" (An exploration of the lives and marriage of Ronald and Nany Reagan, while the 1981 assassination attempt plays out in the background)
2014- "Motherhood" (The story of a mother of two, shot over the course of 18 years from their birth until their graduation from high school)
2015- "Sins of the Father" (The story of a theology student doing an expose on Father Nathaniel Benting, a local priest accused of rape, only to discover a strange connection to the case)
2016- "Carpet Ceiling" (The uplifting tale of an Iranian physicist who is forced to work in a tea service after the fall of Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi)
2017- "The Good Earth" (An adaptation of Pearl S. Buck's iconic novel)

upload_2017-2-8_14-55-36-png.307359

Tuesday October 16th 2018

Seaborn the clear winner in Second Presidential debate

Democratic Presidential nominee Senator Sam Seaborn scored a clear win the second presidential debate held last night at Stony Brook University, Long Island, New York. He came into the debate with his campaign under fire and behind in the polls. His performance has at the very least stopped Henry Shallick's momentum. It was not a good night for the Republican nominee. He appeared grumpy, bad tempered, and even lost his temper with a questioner from the audience on gun control.

Seaborn having gotten himself in a muddle over a question over the what success the Walken Administration had achieved during the first debate, he made no such error this time "every administration, Republican and Democrat in my life-time has done things that have been right, including President's Nixon, Reagan, and Lassister as well as President Walken. I can also say that Democratic Presidents, and yes including the two I worked for made mistakes" at that point Shallick interrupted "that's putting it mildly" with Seaborn hitting back "you see I can see the difference between single decisions and policy, I think despite some success, the general direction of this administration in which you have served has been wrong".

The canidates took questions from 100 undecided voters from across the country, and the format suited Seaborn more than Shallick. Shallick looked like at times that he didn't want to be at the debate. It wasn't a 2002 Bartlet like win over Ritchie but it was enough for pundits and the Seaborn campaign to claim a big win.

Last edited:

Tuesday October 16th 2018

House of Representatives Forecast

Popular Vote
Democratic: 49% (+2%)
Republican: 48% (±0%)

Undecided: 3% (-1%)

Seat Projections
Democratic: 207 (+7)
Republican: 195 (+4)
Toss-Up: 33 (-11)

TOSS-UP SEATS
AR-01 (Conklin)
CA-09 (Cao)
CA-10 (open)

CA-22 (Fern)
CA-26 (Hamilton)
CA-42 (Ojai)
CO-03 (Sweet)

DE-AL (Robertson)
FL-03 (Fearon)
FL-06 (Ramos)

FL-10 (Wayne)
IL-08 (Lloyd)

IL-12 (Newhouse)
IL-14 (Davis)
MN-08 (Samuels)
NJ-05 (Perry)
NY-02 (Dellinger)
NC-02 (McCovey)
NC-13 (Schreibman)
OH-01 (Ferris)
OH-12 (Summers)
OH-15 (Bryce)
PA-01 (Nelson)*
PA-11 (Alberin)*
PA-12 (Dawn)*

PA-16 (Taylor)*
SC-07 (Bamber)
SD-AL (BigHorse)

TN-05 (Vector)
TN-08 (Reed)
TX-32 (Knight)
WV-02 (Smigel)
WI-07 (Kraus)

SEATS MOVED FROM TOSS-UP
CA-45 (Perrin)
to LEAN DEM
CT-02 (open) to LEAN DEM
MS-04 (Inboden)
to LEAN GOP
NV-03 (open)
to LEAN GOP
NJ-03 (Branson) to LEAN DEM
NY-18 (Powell) to LEAN DEM
OH-10 (DiMarco) to LEAN DEM
PA-04 (Daniels)* to LEAN GOP
VA-02 (Donovan) to SAFE DEM
VA-05 (Monroe) to LEAN GOP
WA-03 (Ohanko) to LEAN DEM

Thursday October 18th 2018

Twenty Days from Election Day Poll
genusmap.php

Popular Vote
Seaborn & Hollis 47% (+2)
Shallick & Hunter 45% (-1)
Straus & Buckner 5% (n/c)

Undecided 3% (-1)
1.5% swing from Shallick to Seaborn since October 9th poll
Electoral College
Shallick & Hunter 230 ev (n/c)
Seaborn & Hollis 194 ev (+2 ev)
Toss-Up 114 (-2 ev)

States Moving
Virginia from Seaborn to Toss-up
New Hampshire from Toss-up to Seaborn
New Mexico from Toss-up to Seaborn
Nevada from Toss-up to Seaborn

Thursday October 18th 2018

Twenty Days from Election Day Poll
genusmap.php

Popular Vote
Seaborn & Hollis 47% (+2)
Shallick & Hunter 45% (-1)
Straus & Buckner 5% (n/c)
Undecided 3% (-1)

1.5% swing from Shallick to Seaborn since October 9th poll
Electoral College
Shallick & Hunter 230 ev (n/c)
Seaborn & Hollis 194 ev (+2 ev)
Toss-Up 114 (-2 ev)
States Moving
Virginia from Seaborn to Toss-up
New Hampshire from Toss-up to Seaborn
New Mexico from Toss-up to Seaborn
Nevada from Toss-up to Seaborn

Possibly a stupid question, but why are the Republicans' results in blue and the Democrats' in red? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

mspence

Banned
NBS-Strauss To Focus On Toss-Up States In Home Stretch

Richmond, Virginia-Speaking to a large crowd here, Haydn Strauss vowed to continue his campaign and called for a series of town-hall style debates with both Senator Seaborn and Secretary Shallick, pointing to recent polls which suggest that the race could come down to a select few toss-up states where he insists he has polled well against both.
"Our campaign is not about who has the most money or the most advertising, but who best represents the needs and dreams of the average American, the common person that both of the major parties seem to have forgotten about in their quest for the White House," Strauss said, in a speech that focused heavily on the environment. National polls show Strauss ranking a distant third behind the two major nominees.
Screen-Shot-2018-09-20-at-8.00.13-PM.png

Haydn Strauss, speaking in Richmond, Virginia (photo credit Harrison Ford)

Last edited:

Monday October 22nd 2018

Hollis: "Being rich isn't a crime" as relations with Seaborn hit rock bottom

Democratic Vice-Presidential nominee Franklin Hollis seemed to take a hit at his own boss and the Democratic Party in general at a Fundraiser last night in St Paul, Minnesota.

"Being rich isn't a crime, I have worked hard for my money, I have run a responsible company and have always paid my taxes, but there are those that haven't, and they are tarred everyone else that does".

The comments come as relations between Senator Seaborn and his running-mate are believed to have become more and more frayed in recent weeks, especially after Hollis awful performance in the VP debate two weeks ago. Two planned joint appearances in Ohio and Florida have been cancelled, with Hollis sent instead to Iowa (a state that looks to be firmly in Shallick's pocket) and Minnesota.

A Seaborn campaign source told NBS "Senator Seaborn is becoming to regret his choice of Franklin Hollis, they have hardly spoken in two weeks, and that the Senator believes he was "bounced" into the decision back in March by CJ Craig".

nbs.com, Monday October 22nd

BREAKING: Inksoft closing Minnesota Operations, 2000 jobs at risk

Technology company Inksoft has confirmed in a press release this morning that they are closing their operations in St Paul, Minnesota putting 2000 jobs at risk as it outsources coding, customer service and first line response to India.

The move will be particularly tough to take in the area as company recently confirmed H1 profit numbers of $3billion, it may also cause wider political ramifications as Democratic Vice-Presidential candidate Frank Hollis, is the owner and founder of Inksoft.

The company statement said only that this was part of a long term restructuring plan and that they would do everything it could to relocate the people to other parts of their business.

nbs.com, Monday October 22nd

BREAKING: Inksoft closing Minnesota Operations, 2000 jobs at risk

Technology company Inksoft has confirmed in a press release this morning that they are closing their operations in St Paul, Minnesota putting 2000 jobs at risk as it outsources coding, customer service and first line response to India.

The move will be particularly tough to take in the area as company recently confirmed H1 profit numbers of $3billion, it may also cause wider political ramifications as Democratic Vice-Presidential candidate Frank Hollis, is the owner and founder of Inksoft.

The company statement said only that this was part of a long term restructuring plan and that they would do everything it could to relocate the people to other parts of their business.
Hello October Surprise.

I would say this makes it more likely Shallick will win but if the republicans are still in a nail biter after a nuclear plant almost threatens the lives of millions of Americans I can’t say for sure. Vinick had more time to catch up, though. Seaborn only has a few weeks.

The book written about the Seaborn campaign after this election is going to be amazing to read.
I see it coming out like the film “Game Change.” A lot of the blame is going to be placed on CJ, who may very well be finished in Democratic politics after this race.

I could also see a lot of people speculating about what Josh would have done if he had won in the power struggle with CJ. No matter what it will probably not be a flattering portrayal of CJ.

Monday October 22nd 2018

Irving's Praise of Seaborn Draws GOP Ire

Senator Jasper Irving (R-IL)'s appearance on The Will Walker Show last night did not go according to the plan, at least according to sources in the Shallick campaign. The senator, whose appearance as a Shallick surrogate is part of the Sunday BBC America program's commitment to having surrogates from all three presidential campaigns on separately before the November 6th election, deviated from the standard Republican attack on Democratic presidential nominee Sam Seaborn. While members of the Shallick campaign and Republicans have criticized Seaborn for what they say are poor decision-making skills and his strident liberalism, Irving instead praised his colleague from California. "I get along great with Senator Seaborn," Irving, a freshman senator from Illinois, told Walker and his audience, "He's a brilliant guy, and even if I disagree with him on quite a few things...I don't see any reason to thing he wouldn't be a great president if he were elected."

According to NBS sources, the Shallick campaign officials engaged in a heated argument with Irving after his appearance, which led to the senator storming out of the studio. On Fox News, former Speaker of the House Jeff Haffley said that Irving has been "drinking the Washington Kool-Aid if he thinks a Sam Seaborn presidency would be fine for America". A Irving spokeswoman reiterated the senator's endorsement for the Republican ticket and said that Irving was "merely expressing his personal feelings towards a Senate colleague".

Irving, who was elected to the Senate in 2016 by fewer than 3,000 votes, is widely seen as a moderate Republican, representing a state that has voted Democratic in every presidential election since 1998 and that experts say will almost certainly be carried by the Seaborn/Hollis ticket in November. The William Walker Show is scheduled to have Senator Louise Thornton (D-VA) on next Sunday's program and Green Party National Co-Chair Danica Matley on the November 4th program as surrogates for the Democratic and Green tickets, respectively.

8nlLOq3l.jpg

Irving on The Will Walker Show (photo by Tom Cruise)