Status
Not open for further replies.
In short they are quasi-left wing antifascist resistance organization with access to heavy weaponries and old Kanmusu/Kansen (term for shipgirls in kancolle and azur lane respectively) under their command (all supplied by Azur Lane Alliance forces). Their mission is to basically sabotage every Ironblood facilities and steal some plans (either military or technological one) from them to be given to ALA high commands.

I feel like I'm having a stroke....... repeatedly..... I know this was meant to explain why they named themselves after a flower but I'm now even more confused. Is a "shipgirl" a girl-shape Mech or something for which I should turn on incognito browsing before googling it ?

I'm going to assume.... some sort of anime/manga universe ?

I feel like I'm having a stroke....... repeatedly..... I know this was meant to explain why they named themselves after a flower but I'm now even more confused. Is a "shipgirl" a girl-shape Mech or something for which I should turn on incognito browsing before googling it ?

I'm going to assume.... some sort of anime/manga universe ?

Oh boy XD

Here buddy, let me help you out with this.

Yes, when he's talking about "ship-girls" he is actually talking about ship-girls - as in living, breathing, anime girl personifications of historical warships from our timeline and basically our world. Anthropomorphized battleships.

Here are some examples!

441px-enterprise-png.410445

^^^ --- This is the USS Enterprise! Yes, the famous US aircraft carrier as an anime girl! She's part of the Eagle Union (anime United States).

517px-arizona-png.410446

^^^ --- This is the USS Arizona! And yes, that Arizona! She makes lots of references to that fact! She's also part of the Eagle Union!

544px-surcouf-png.410447

^^^ --- This is the Surcouf! The famous French battleship sub! She is part of the faction called "Iris Libre" - the "Free Iris" faction the guy mentioned.

Basically these are all from a game that depict battleships, destroyers, cruisers, and submarines and cute anime girls that you can use to fight each other in faction battles!

Oh boy XD

Here buddy, let me help you out with this.

Yes, when he's talking about "ship-girls" he is actually talking about ship-girls - as in living, breathing, anime girl personifications of historical warships from our timeline and basically our world. Anthropomorphized battleships.

Here are some examples!

441px-enterprise-png.410445

^^^ --- This is the USS Enterprise! Yes, the famous US aircraft carrier as an anime girl! She's part of the Eagle Union (anime United States).

517px-arizona-png.410446

^^^ --- This is the USS Arizona! And yes, that Arizona! She makes lots of references to that fact! She's also part of the Eagle Union!

544px-surcouf-png.410447

^^^ --- This is the Surcouf! The famous French battleship sub! She is part of the faction called "Iris Libre" - the "Free Iris" faction the guy mentioned.

Basically these are all from a game that depict battleships, destroyers, cruisers, and submarines and cute anime girls that you can use to fight each other in faction battles!

Thank you. I forgot not a lot of people here are into animanga stuff let alone Kancolle/Azur Lane. But yeah it's basically what Alterwright said. (Also might want to fix your image linking)

I know this was meant to explain why they named themselves after a flower

They name themselves Iris because Iris is the national flower of France and because the organization are formed by the French whose their territory were occupied by the German. I think I posted the scenario map about this in the now-locked Map Thread.

oceanic-federation.png

Just an Oceania Union flag I made in class on FlagMakerJrPlus when I was 'working'. Yellow represents the sun, blue represents the ocean, and the stars make the southern cross.

Last edited:
They name themselves Iris because Iris is the national flower of France and because the organization are formed by the French whose their territory were occupied by the German. I think I posted the scenario map about this in the now-locked Map Thread.

That's not the official national flower of france, France doesn't have one. If you meant the fleur-de-lys used by monarchists, it's a lilly ("lys"). The only francophone politie I'm aware of with an iris as an official emblem is Quebec with the iris versicolor or blue flag:

images

Although unpopular with non-monarchists, "L'Armé du Lys Libre" would have a nice alliterative sound to it.

so "HMS Canada" is a girl dressed like a french-canadian lumberjack, beard and all ? I shudder to think what shipgirl HMS Cockchafer looks like......

That's not the official national flower of france, France doesn't have one. If you meant the fleur-de-lys used by monarchists, it's a lilly ("lys"). The only francophone politie I'm aware of with an iris as an official emblem is Quebec with the iris versicolor or blue flag:

images

Although unpopular with non-monarchists, "L'Armé du Lys Libre" would have a nice alliterative sound to it.

Ah I guess the Chinese developer (the one who made Azur Lane) did not do their research well :p. but then again from what I read on the internet that Iris is the national flower of France. Also i think Iris sounds better since monarchism in France are long rendered irrelevant by 2060s.

so "HMS Canada" is a girl dressed like a french-canadian lumberjack, beard and all ? I shudder to think what shipgirl HMS Cockchafer looks like......

......no. it's more like a cute anime girls with ship cannons. nothing too weird.

images

Ah I guess the Chinese developer (the one who made Azur Lane) did not do their research well :p. but then again from what I read on the internet that Iris is the national flower of France. Also i think Iris sounds better since monarchism in France are long rendered irrelevant by 2060s.

......no. it's more like a cute anime girls with ship cannons. nothing too weird.

It's actually thought that the French "lilly" is actually an iris. The yellow flag iris to be exact. Which was known as the Liesch/Lies/Leys blume in Middle German and Dutch.
The Anglo-Normans called the fleur-de-lys the fleur-de-luce, Luce being a variant name of the river Luts/Lits where the yellow flag is found.

Thank you. I forgot not a lot of people here are into animanga stuff let alone Kancolle/Azur Lane. But yeah it's basically what Alterwright said. (Also might want to fix your image linking)
True, that and some people wouldn't realize that Metal Slug has an interesting mythos that has yet to be tapped into (or sort of is in regards to Attack); heck they might think the names of various vehicles and whatnot are something I made up. I blame SNK for not getting it represented much in the gaming scene as King of Fighters does but that's a completely different story for another time.

It's actually thought that the French "lilly" is actually an iris.

Could be. The problem though is that in term of *perception*, I doubt it would work. Symbols only work if people react to them via familiarity or at least familiarity with the significance. For example, "Imperator" ("worthy of being in command") was originally only an honourary title granted to a successful general by his own men. While this etymology is a fact, modern day people would predictably freak out if a head of state went on tv and said "After consultation with the troops, I have decided to award the title of Emperor to General Suchandsuch for his years of good services".

So my problem with the name, unless the french in that anime actually use an iris for some reason, is that the name in real-life would not evoke a notion of patriotism to the average french person like the word "lys" might, even if the traditional identification may be technically wrong.

Could be. The problem though is that in term of *perception*, I doubt it would work. Symbols only work if people react to them via familiarity or at least familiarity with the significance. For example, "Imperator" ("worthy of being in command") was originally only an honourary title granted to a successful general by his own men. While this etymology is a fact, modern day people would predictably freak out if a head of state went on tv and said "After consultation with the troops, I have decided to award the title of Emperor to General Suchandsuch for his years of good services".

So my problem with the name, unless the french in that anime actually use an iris for some reason, is that the name in real-life would not evoke a notion of patriotism to the average french person like the word "lys" might, even if the traditional identification may be technically wrong.
Oh yes. For Iris to be used in the same way Lily is would require a public perception/understanding/acceptance that the fleurdelys is an iris.

Intriguing. They look non anachronistic anyways at first glance.

Most of them are actually OTL flags.

1.- OTL Ecuadorian flag flown by rebels. An inverted Cross of Burgundy.
2.- OTL Flag of Guayaquil.
3.- Made by me, based on Spain's Cuenca.
4.- OTL Flag of the Confederate Cities of the Cauca Valley.
5.- OTL Flag of Cundinamarca.
6.- Not historical flag based on the colors of the Flag of Cartagena. Used IOTL by the Department of Bolivar.
7.- Made by me, based on the flag of the Republic of New Granada, plus 1 star for every one of the 18 states.
8.- Made by me, based on TTL's Venezuelan flag.
9.- Made by me, using the colors of Venezuela and one star for every district in Colombia.
10.- Made by me, based on the colors of the Flag of Cumaná.
11.- Francisco de Miranda's Military Standard for Venezuela.
12.- Venezuelan Military Standard with Gran Colombian colors.
13.- OTL Junta of Cartagena.
14.- Made by me.
15.- Made by me. The two blue stripes are meant to represent how Panama has the Atlantic and the Pacific at its sides.
16.- Historical Flag Proposal.
17.- OTL Flag.
18.- Flag of the anti-Haiti rebels that rose during the Haitian occupation.

Status
Not open for further replies.